Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks (37710 Views)

FG Mulls Single Salary Scale For Federal Civil Service MDAs / FG Mulls Mandatory Savings Scheme For Nigerians / FG Mulls Handover Of Power Distribution To Siemens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by LZAA: 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2019
FarahAideed:

I don't drink Coca-Cola sef when ever I want anything I drink Champagne or carbonated Perrier mineral water so let worry about you and Afamed that love Bigi cola cheesy
Immhotep and GMBuharii over to you grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2019
lexy2014:

Pls what is a country's greatest resource?

I will answer your question this way...go and work for better accountability in your government.

Good evening.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by lexy2014: 9:38pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:
For everyone crying 'the government is oppresive'...please let us be realistic.

Nigeria isn't and never was a rich country. We rely on oil revenues...and right now, oil is at 59 dollars per barrel. We need oil to be at $140 per barrel before we can have a budget that is good enough for all our needs.

So, either taxes go up, or we just keep on taking loans. Remember we are losing $80 per barrel, and we have had to take loans to keep afloat as oil has not been favouiring us since 2014 April.

Besides, many countries have a tax on sugary drinks.

It is sad that we have and have governments that have messed this country up, but unitl oil goes above $100 or more per barrel, taxation has to be the way to raise funds. Sorry guys...it is that...or we beg IMF for another loan.

But despite d revenue shortfall, expenses meant to take care of d needs of d executive & legislature at d federal and state is on d increase

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by lexy2014: 9:41pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

I will answer your question this way...go and work for better accountability in your government.

Good evening.

Then u haven't answered d question. what has accountability in govt got to do with d question I asked or don't u no d answer to d question?
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 17, 2019
lexy2014:

But despite d revenue shortfall, expenses meant to take of d needs of d executive & legislature at d federal and state is on d increase

That's why democracy involves the people holding their leaders to account...which you Nigerians don't want to do because most of you think democracy is something you do every four years and then go home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by lexy2014: 9:43pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

That's why democracy involves the people holding their leaders to account...which you Nigerians don't want to do because most of you think democracy is something you do every four years and then go home.

Are u not a Nigerian? Have u done what u say Nigerians aren't doing?
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 17, 2019
johnmattew:
good...soft drinks are subtle poison......Nigerians should switch to fruits and tea
grin so that this satanic government will tax fruits and tea next. You can't give what you don't have, that's the mantra of this useless government. After promising Nigerians heaven on earth.

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Jaqenhghar: 9:59pm On Oct 17, 2019
Una never seeanything shey una want sleep, wake up see success

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Enyimbamercedes: 10:05pm On Oct 17, 2019
Wetin concern me! They should impose excise duties on everything including BBQ sef.

We must have sense by force! They cannot create jobs; they cannot grow the economy... who are you taxing?
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by ibietela2(m): 10:05pm On Oct 17, 2019
saaron:
Fortunately this could be a blessing in disguise. For revolution to occur, there must be an atmosphere of hunger, suffering and misery to a level that cannot be tolerated. Thankfully the useless regime is doing a good job in that area.

Nigerians won't shake body... Look at SA, ZIMBABWE they protest but not in this country
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by clarocuzioo(m): 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

Nigeria isn't and never was a rich country. We rely on oil revenues...and right now, oil is at 59 dollars per barrel. We need oil to be at $140 per barrel before we can have a budget that is good enough for all our needs.

So, either taxes go up, or we just keep on taking loans. Remember we are losing $80 per barrel, and we have had to take loans to keep afloat as oil has not been favouiring us since 2014 April.

It is sad that we have and have governments that have messed this country up, but unitl oil goes above $100 or more per barrel, taxation has to be the way to raise funds. Sorry guys...it is that...or we beg IMF for another loan.

I have had you peddle this blatant lie continuously on several threads, and it's time to put you in order.

Make no mistakes, Nigeria is a very rich country but unfortunately we have greedy, wicked, selfish and daft people at the helm of affairs, from the Presidency, to senate, governors down to councillors, everybody is interested in where to loot.

Let me also remind you that the present government led by Muhammad Buhari is bereft of ideas regarding wealth creation

Oil is not the only source of revenue, Foreign Direct Investments goes a long way but unfortunately this administration has lost investors confidence and a whole lot of investors are scared of Nigeria.

Go to Rwanda and see what's happening, they don't even have oil, and they are not taxing their people to death but that country is doing absolutely wonderful.

What of Ghana, are they also taxing their citizens to death?

How much was oil when IBB and OBJ ruled this country?

IBB sold at $6, obasanjo sold at $36, but they did a lot of visible and viable project.

So please stop giving the lame excuse of oil.

Show me Buhari's economic blueprint five years after taking over power, none.

The problem is the government not the oil.

I don't know if you are paid to be writing this lame defence.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 17, 2019
clarocuzioo:

I have had you peddle this blatant lie continuously on several threads, and it's time to put you in order.

Make no mistakes, Nigeria is a very rich country's but unfortunately we have greedy, wicked, selfish and daft people at the helm of affairs, from the Presidency, to senate, governor's down to councillors, everybody is interested in where to loot.

Let me also remind you that the present government led by Muhammad Buhari is bereft of ideas regarding wealth creation

Oil is not the only source of revenue, Foreign Direct Investments goes a long way but unfortunately this administration has lost investors confidence and a whole lot of investors are scared of Nigeria.

Go to Ruwanda and see what's happening, they don't even have oil, and they are not taxing their people to death but that country is doing absolutely wonderful.

IBB sold at $6, obasanjo sold at $36, but they did a lot of visible and viable project.

1.I lived under IBB's regime. Times were hard, very hard. Plus we had some roads constrcuted, but we also had serious economic crisis.

Plus, our populaiton wasn't as much as it is now, and we weren't importing as much as we do now.

2.Same for Obasanjo's regime. Plus....oil went up during OBJ's regime. It went from $17 in 1999 to $68 today.Plus, we were broke under Obasanjo. The economy was in a mess...especially before 2003...when they kept on telling us to wait that it took time to fix the damage the army had done (lol)!

3.Nigeria must become an induistrial nation...but seems you, APC and PDP cannot see that.

4.Our breakeven price for oil is $140. Oil is at $59. Short term, taxes must be raised. Long term, we have to remove our self from dependeing on oil.

Seems you cannot see my point. You think I am excusing government...when my point is....government has to take us off oil and diversify.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by clarocuzioo(m): 10:34pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

1.I lived under IBB's regime. Times were hard, very hard. Plus we had some roads constrcuted, but we also had serious economic crisis.

Plus, our populaiton wasn't as much as it is now, and we weren't importing as much as we do now.

2.Same for Obasanjo's regime. Plus....oil went up during OBJ's regime. It went from $17 in 1999 to $68 today.Plus, we were broke under Obasanjo. The economy was in a mess...especially before 2003...when they kept on telling us to wait that it took time to fix the damage the army had done (lol)!

3.Nigeria must become an induistrial nation...but seems you, APC and PDP cannot see that.

4.Our breakeven price for oil is $140. Oil is at $59. Short term, taxes must be raised. Long term, we have to remove our self from dependeing on oil.

Seems you cannot see my point. You think I am excusing government...when my point is....government has to take us off oil and diversify.

With the nation being broke during OBJ, he managed to bring us out from debt, but today the present disaster of a government has plungedbua into debts that we don't know the generation that will offset those debts, the difference between those presidents were simply ideas.

OBJ was a mess as a president, but he brought in the best finance minister ever in the history of this country, But Buhari brought in a certificate forger that plunged us into recession, telling us it's just a word

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Mightyhaiz: 10:36pm On Oct 17, 2019
Tyche:

This is insensitive, callous.and the zenith of stupidity
because he had compassion for less privileged?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by cohug: 10:36pm On Oct 17, 2019
Very soon we will start paying tax when we pee and poo. Crazy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by stephen12118(m): 10:37pm On Oct 17, 2019
Buhari must you kill us,las las God pass una

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by tot(f): 10:43pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

What a comparison - "many countries have a sugar tax" undecided Does Nigeria provide its citizens with the benefits and environment those countries provide? Obviously not.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2019
clarocuzioo:

With the nation being broke during OBJ, he managed to bring us out from debt, but today the present disaster of a government has plungedbua into debts that we don't know the generation that will offset those debts, the difference between those presidents were simply ideas.

OBJ was a mess as a president, but he brought in the best finance minister ever in the history of this country, But Buhari brought in a certificate forger that plunged us into recession, telling us it's just a word

1.We had 67% of the debt forgiven, and paid the rest. And yes, we had the reserves to do it because our breakeven was not that high then

2.Nigeria was in recession from the middle of 2014 , not because of GEJ but because oil prices were dropping. By Janusary 2015, Okonjo Iweala was saying that whoever won the election that year, Nigeria was going to be in recession. (So, even if GEJ had won, we would have been in recession).

Not to defend Buhari...because there are certian things he should have done to improve our economy that he hasn't done. But the truth is, oil has been below $80 since he took over. Meanwhile, Nigeria's breakeven has been above $120 since 2012//13. In other words we are not earnign enough from oil, agriculture is not going to cover the gap (about 10% of our agruculture is mechanized, and we can no longer sustain the old model of agric prodcution that worked in the 1960's and 70's.)....so at the end of the day, we have to take loans and raise taxes to cover the shrotfall in revenue from oil.

It is the sad truth...and saying that does not mean I am defending Buhari or anyone. I'm just stating the problem. It is sad that you Nigerians don't want to face the truth.

Now, the way out is simple. We cut subsides on petrol and power. Yes, we would pay N300 for fuel and higher for power, but in return...we would end up with increased investment in refineries, and petroleum production,not to mention saving at least N500billion to as much as N2 trillion annually which can be used for things like educaiton and so on....and we would have our industries and economy grow...plus fuel prices would fall...and jobs would be created.

But because it involves a period of 'hardship'...Nigerians and their APC government don;t want...neither does your PDP.

Sorry bub....but Nigeria is not a rich nation. If we want to become rich, we have to get off oil, and become an exporter of indistrial goods.

If you no get my message, and think I am a Buhari supporter, or am attacking GEJ (FYI....I despise APC and PDP, and would vote for neither.)....I'm sorry for you.

Ta.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Mightyhaiz: 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2019
Commentor:

Ordinary coca-cola tax and you are whinging.
whinning for the suffering masses

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2019
tot:

What a comparison - "many countries have a sugar tax" undecided Does Nigeria provide its citizens with the benefits and environment those countries provide? Obviously not.

Because of years of bad economic choices, we are not rich.

And right now, we ain't earning enough from oil. So, either we pay more in tax....or we take another loan.

It is sad that corrupt polticans loot despite our poverty.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by tot(f): 11:08pm On Oct 17, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

Because of years of bad economic choices, we are not rich.

And right now, we ain't earning enough from oil. So, either we pay more in tax....or we take another loan.

It is sad that corrupt polticans loot despite our poverty.

There is no point paying more in tax or taking more loans which will go down the drain. Let the holes be plugged FIRST, the government should address corruption first and foremost else it makes a nonsenseof everything else. We can't keep pouring water into a basket.

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by onyxo76(m): 11:18pm On Oct 17, 2019
as I don run comot this country, maybe i should reconsider my coming back anytime soon
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by gabicon: 11:21pm On Oct 17, 2019
Lol, the the FG don't have a choice, as it stands, a quarter of our budget is being used to service debt. No creditor will issue us credit if there is no improvement in revenue generation. The FG need to draw the line, it's becoming too much, at this rate inflation can rise by 5%, less money chasing many goods, a slow down in manufacturing, lose of manufacturing jobs etc are the associated risk if not we'll managed

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by samorobo: 11:48pm On Oct 17, 2019
Add Tax on all alcoholic... Nigerians consumes alot of this things

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by jimcaddy(m): 12:06am On Oct 18, 2019
This Buhari led administration is the most clueless government I have ever seen. Worse than the Jonathan led government. So now that the oil prices have crashed in the international market, the demand for oil has reduced. Now the government is looking for more money to keep up with their lavish spendings. And who else is to bear the brunt if not we dear Nigerians... Shey the salary wey never do person na him you wan tax again. What happened to the untapped resources we have. I'm glad that the price of oil has fallen. In fact, it should keep falling. Since we don't want to have sense as a nation. Other countries with half the resources that we have are better off. Everyone is just so corrupt in this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by faithfull18(f): 12:14am On Oct 18, 2019
Commentor:

Gerrout.

Coca-cola isn't food or an essential commodity.
It isn't but if price is increased, less people will buy , the company will downsize, people will lose their jobs. It is a ripple effect.

Next level.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by FEGNO: 1:30am On Oct 18, 2019
Tyche:

This is insensitive, callous.and the zeniith of stupidity

But nah true talk nah
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Commentor: 1:40am On Oct 18, 2019
faithfull18:

It isn't but if price is increased, less people will buy , the company will downsize, people will lose their jobs. It is a ripple effect.

Next level.

People would buy alternatives and that sector would grow.

Next level.
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Commentor: 1:42am On Oct 18, 2019
jimcaddy:
This Buhari led administration is the most clueless government I have ever seen. Worse than the Jonathan led government. So now that the oil prices have crashed in the international market, the demand for oil has reduced. Now the government is looking for more money to keep up with their lavish spendings. And who else is to bear the brunt if not we dear Nigerians... Shey the salary wey never do person na him you wan tax again. What happened to the untapped resources we have. I'm glad that the price of oil has fallen. In fact, it should keep falling. Since we don't want to have sense as a nation. Other countries with half the resources that we have are better off. Everyone is just so corrupt in this country.

Those countries with half our resources that are doing so great, how do their governments generate revenue?
Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by NotGej: 1:49am On Oct 18, 2019
clarocuzioo:

Make no mistakes, Nigeria is a very rich country but unfortunately we have greedy, wicked, selfish and daft people at the helm of affairs, from the Presidency, to senate, governors down to councillors, everybody is interested in where to loot.

Go to Rwanda and see what's happening, they don't even have oil, and they are not taxing their people to death but that country is doing absolutely wonderful.

Oga, Nigeria is not a rich country. Not to talk of very rich country. What’s the size of our budget? Compared to other “very rich” countries?

Check the UK NHS Budget? Or compare ours with that of South Africa. The earlier you understand these things the better for you.

We are a poor country! Forget all the Delusion of grandeur.

We get road?

Our Mains they function?

You get light? No be gen you Dey?

Side note: how have we as a country gotten so comfortable with power cuts? We see it as normal. Na thing of shame oo for your very rich country!
Our power problem is a simple demand and supply problem that the market Can correct all things being equal. But...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by frozen70g(f): 2:12am On Oct 18, 2019
NigeriaIsDoomed:
I only pity the miserable and lazy amajirins in the North cuz in the South we will hustle, travel out and then money home to support our family members back home.
Una go wise las las grin

I don't have pity for them, they are already used to suffering caused by their so called brother in power

In fact, they adjust easily to hash economy than you and I because they have no plans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks by Aystarz: 2:57am On Oct 18, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

Yea, let's tax every Nigerian to death till there's nothing left to give since the price of oil isn't $100. FG shouldn't bother about inflation, unemployment or infrastructure in a country where 98m are living in poverty. , All it has to do, my brother, is tax, tax and tax..... just tax away!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Meets Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, Leader Of The Islamic Revolution (Pi / PDP Chieftains Sack Ali Sheriff / FG Reacts To Attack On Senate, Reveals Next Line Of Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.