Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST (12926 Views)

Lead British School Student Bullied, Slapped By Other Students Over Boyfriend / Adekunle Ajasin University Ondo Shut Down Over Protest. Photos / OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by undefeateds: 1:53pm On Oct 18, 2019
Who else notice,this guy is now becoming daft like mannabbq
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Lilimax(f): 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2019
UNIBEN and demonstration cry
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by dandaddy(m): 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2019
No electricity supply...which implies no water too! And you guys wrote exams ?!
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Sunnybabe(m): 1:56pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.
Protests have no place in a cultured environment like the University.

By protesting, those students have shown that they can never be found worthy in character and learning.

They should rather enrol at NURTW, Ugbowo chapter...Where their spirit of Aluta is ever needed.

such an exasperating and exacerbating words from u

it seems as if a cancerous has infiltrated ur cerebellum

mtcheeew

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Upton: 1:58pm On Oct 18, 2019
Osasnidas:
Very very very sad.... Osayuki Oshodin's tenure was far better.... Atleast i never experienced blackout for days during my years in uniben
Huh?
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by PrincewithGod(m): 2:10pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.

By protesting, those students have shown that they can never be found worthy in character and learning.

They should rather enrol at NURTW, Ugbowo chapter...Where their spirit of Aluta is ever needed.
I wanted to react but then I checked and found out it was you. You need to changed your ways, my brother, give your life to Christ and chat a new course for your life.

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by edoairways: 2:38pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.

You need to be slapped sad sad

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Roon9(m): 2:47pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.

I'm beginning to think you are an alumni of uniben. Matter of fact you sound so much like an ex roomie at hall3
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by WarriIntellect(m): 2:50pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.

So because of cheap likes you open your brain to pen Rubbish abi??.Isn't it the responsibility of the Administration to provide amenities that The students even Paid for?.Common sense they said isn't really common.
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by drealjosh(m): 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2019
Sowore said it but deaf ears are bountiful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Osasnidas(m): 3:35pm On Oct 18, 2019
Upton:

Huh?
yes...even school fee and hostel fee was stable...and cheaper
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by fineguy11(m): 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2019
Stephendeals:
shocked

So they still do this, i dont understand why water scarcity and power issue always happen during exams period?

I recall the first ALUTA i witnessed, when hall 3 boys had to go to hall 1 to get water. After the second day they went to drag SUG president Chinelo from her room and tell her to provide water.

The authorities knows what to do, but wont do it unless they are coerced.
I can relate,was in 200l then grin

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by useurkidney3121: 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.

U are not only a drunkard but a basta*d
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by RTSC: 4:58pm On Oct 18, 2019
Ordinary Mayor don carry punishment he did not bargain for.
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Bhadoski: 5:57pm On Oct 18, 2019
i thought Uniben is one of d most transperant..federal university in nigeria ��

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Bhadoski: 6:02pm On Oct 18, 2019
somebodi can not state a peaceful protest again...buhari. hav u seen wot u have caused
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Legendguru: 6:32pm On Oct 18, 2019
Oh
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by cutievik: 9:13pm On Oct 18, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good decision.

Your foolishness stinks..I pray a bottle falls on your stvpid head.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by AnonymousIP: 1:43am On Oct 19, 2019
BleedingPen:

Management of the University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State, has suspended some students over alleged involvement in a peaceful demonstration.

Those affected are the Mayors and Mayoress of halls of residence, including that of Hall 5 and Keystone hostels. All the three persons are undergraduate students.

CAMPUS GIST reliably gathered that the said protest was led by postgraduate students in first semester. The school is currently in second semester.

The protesters were said to have demonstrated to the official residence of the vice-chancellor, otherwise known as VC lodge, in protest against non-availability of power.

It was gathered that the hostels lacked electricity and water for over three days during exam period, forcing the students to take to protests.

Their suspension was announced by the university Registrar, Mrs O. A. Oshodin, in a private letter exclusively obtained by CAMPUS GIST on Friday.

“You will recall your alleged involvement in a case of unlawful protest and at an unholy hour”, she said in the letter obtained by our UNIBEN correspondent.

“The Vice Chancellor, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by Section 17 (b), (c), and (d) of Edict No. 3 of 1975, and as amended by Decree No. 20 of 1975, has directed that you be suspended from all academic activities forthwith until you before the Security Department for clearance.

“Accordingly, you are hereby suspended from your Faculty and the University until get clearance from the Security Department”, added Mrs Oshodin.

Efforts to reach the Registrar for comment proved abortive, even as calls placed to the known phone lines of the university spokesman, Michael Osasuyi, went unanswered.

But an official of the school who would not like to be mentioned, said the university took the decision because the VC was disturbed from sleep at such “ungodly hour.”

On why the affected persons were suspended even when they are not directly involved, the official said the suspended persons were expected to have managed the situation.

“They failed in their duties as halls’ mayors and mayoress, respectively”, he said, adding, “they are expected to handle any of such cases from escalating especially at such ungodly hour.”

One of the affected persons who craved anonymity, told CAMPUS GIST that he was shocked to hear about his suspension from his hostel porter.

“The protest was led by postgraduate students [last semester] because they had no light in their hostels for over three days”, he said.

“Nobody even heard about it except for members of the Committee on Hostel Matters. Even myself, I wasn't aware not until my attention was drawn after the protest had begun.

“It was a peaceful demonstration, though the protest was taken to the VC’s lodge which is a normal thing in the university. Sadly, management accused us of spearheading the protest”, said the hall mayor.

This is not the first time UNIBEN will be suspending her students over demonstrations. In February, 2018 four union members were expelled from the school over a protest against an increment in tuition fee.

The expelled students were accused of staging a students’ demonstration on November 24, 2017, an action the university authorities described as intended to disrupt the institution’s 47th Founders’ Day Lecture and the 43rd Convocation Ceremony.

Those suspended include the then Student Union president, Osemudiamen Elvis; PRO, Ehiabhi Goodnews; Secretary-General, Justus Aidenagbon; Director of Socials, Innocent Ehiozua, and a renowned activist, Benjamin Majekodunmi, alias Sankara.

They were later recalled to the school following the intervention of external forces, including the university chancellor and Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II.

http://www.campusgist.ng/exclusive-uniben-suspends-three-students-over-protest/

The Guys Will Be Like ...

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by OgaBuhari: 4:15am On Oct 19, 2019
purples25:
This is not fair at all. They should not punish anyone simply for protesting over what the university lacks. And the protest was peaceful, so why? Are they trying to intimidate everyone just so that none will speak out? Thats supposed to be a sane environment. They should be becoming more liberal and distinguished, not treating their students in such a brutal, archaic fashion.
my love!
will you marry me?
I love intellectual ladies a lot
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by base9(m): 5:50am On Oct 19, 2019
Imagine a federal university meant to teach students their fundamental rights and to stand by them.....instead the students are deprived of the fundamental rights and even the fundamental things of life(water,light,road nd hostel are all bad!!)
WILL THIS COUNTRY EVER BE GREAT AGAIN??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by Lawbaron: 6:55am On Oct 19, 2019
[quote author=NwaAmaikpe post=83247455] shocked

Good decision.

You are obviously a jambite from Gorilla brains or Boiling point tutorial
Re: UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST by oshionelecky: 7:21am On Oct 19, 2019
Orunmwese is incapable of the roles of a VC. I cldnt imagine dt I took my younger brother to main campus after I hd graduated for sightseeing, only to end up embarrassed with the unappealing sight of d campus with tall bushes and dilapidating buildings.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unilag Admission 2011/2012 / Who Would You Choose As Prettiest Amongst This CU Female Students?(see PHOTOS) / How Do I Get My Local Government Identification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.