Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,391 members, 7,836,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Reasons Why You Should Stop Drinking Soda - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Reasons Why You Should Stop Drinking Soda (310 Views)

I’ll Stop Drinking from Sachet Water After Seeing This / Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" / 8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why You Should Stop Drinking Soda by SamVick(m): 2:42pm On Oct 19, 2019
You may call it soft drink, pop or fizzy drink. A soda consists of carbonated water, a sweetener (mostly Sugar or artificial sweetener), an acid (phosphoric or Citric), Flavours, Caffeine and most times Colorants.
It is no doubt that soda is one of the most popular categories of drinks consumed by many of us these days. But actually, soda drinks do more havoc to us than good. I know it is not easy to stay away from that sweet drink but trust me, after reading this article you might just have to change your mind.
Below are the notable benefits that soda gives us.
Weight Gain: when you consume soda your body gets filled with empty calories which leads to weight gain and belly fat. But I bet not too many of us want to get fatter talk more of getting a bigger belly ��‚ There are better ways of getting fat after all.
Hydration: our body needs fluids and drinking soda is just a source to get them. But is drinking soda worth it? Well, soda hydrates you as a regular water though so many are confused that since sodas are caffeinated drinks they dehydrate you instead, this is not true. " if you drink two litres of soda you will hold onto most of it but not as much as you would if you drank two litres of water" says Dr. Douglas Casa, a professor at the University of Connecticut and Chief Operating officer at the school's Korey Stringer Institute. So, soda helps keeping the body hydrated but large doses of caffeine more than 500 milligrams can cause dehydration. So, should you start gulping soda when thirsty? Haha � ‚ well, no. Even Tea and Iced coffee are much preferred over Soda. You can take soda to quench your thirst. Just switch to water or other nutritious drinks as soon as you can.
So those are the notable benefits of taking soda drinks. But are they safe enough? Let's take a look at the side effects or risk of consuming soda
9 Reasons why you should stop drinking soda
1. High Sugar Content: This is the most obvious fact about soda. A 12 ounce can of soda contains close to 50 grams of added sugar and that exceeds the daily sugar limit of 9 teaspoons of sugar for men and 6 for women as about 50 grams of sugar contains up to 13 teaspoons. Therefore, this can lead to increased chances of having diabetics, cancer, heart disease and skin problems.
2. High Caffeine contents: Soda contains caffeine which can cause sleep disorder, diuresis, high blood pressure, altered heartbeat rhythm and addiction.
3. Weight gain: Back to this soda contains acid, artificial sweetener and additives. Taking one can of cola daily for a month is equivalent to taking in 3,920 extra calories or 1.1 pounds if they are not burned. Calories from soda are called empty calories because they come with no nutrients. A 160 pounds person need to work for 27 minutes at 3½ miles per hour to burn the calories in a can of cola.
4. Dental problems: Soda contains acidogenic and carcinogenic ingredients that causes corrosion of enamel from the teeth. If you take high amounts of soda with low calcium it won't take long for you to start picking out your teeth with a pen � just kidding... But, Soda + low calcium = Dental erosion and weak bones.

To continue reading, click https://vikksy..com/2019/10/9-reasons-why-you-should-stop-drinking.html

(1) (Reply)

How To Use Coconut Oil To Grow Your Hair For Ladies And Beards For Guys. / I Am Stranded I Need A Support / Housemanship Availability In Abuja Anyone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.