Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? (15426 Views)

NYSC Is Wasting Our Time With Their Inconsistency / Was Your NYSC A Waste Of Time? / Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by laudate: 1:24pm On May 25, 2007
I-man:

I did my Service in London!

Show-off!! grin grin
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Colonia(m): 1:28pm On May 25, 2007
After college i didn't waste my time, i never served . I think they should make this optional. Some people deepend on it while some can careless .
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by olutomiwa(m): 7:54pm On May 25, 2007
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,dey don start their lie lie again,london ko,america ni.who give u paper to go serve for london mr londoner?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 25, 2007
I think the thing is a toal waste of time, unlike Laudate, I do not need NYSC to tell me to get out of my ethnic enclave, I'm a true Nigerian!. . .Sokoto to Okene to Onitsha to Lagos have all have my footprints deep in their soil and my life hasn't even started!
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Iman3(m): 9:06pm On May 25, 2007
The idea that you can instill ethnic/religious tolerance by a compulsory one year programme is risible.The programme's objective is unattainable and for that reason it should be scrapped.

It effectively functions as a Western style "gap year" only this time, for grown adults in their mid to late 20s at the Govt's expense. Time for the adults to pursue their own personal pleasures at their own personal expense
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by BillGatesFan(m): 9:36pm On May 25, 2007
NYSC is a means to end your relationship with your lover or wife to be, because girls who are going throught that useless and senseless programme ends up acting like PROSTITUTES,thereby breaking their long years of serious relationship. I wonder what sensible girl will try to do that programme again in this modern time.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by BillGatesFan(m): 9:37pm On May 25, 2007
NYSC is a means to end your relationship with your lover or wife to be, because girls who are going throught that useless and senseless programme ends up acting like PROSTITUTES,thereby breaking their long years of serious relationship. I wonder what sensible girl will try to do that programme again in this modern time
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by rikkyjen(m): 10:02pm On May 25, 2007
While many people see this NYSC project as laudable, i see it as laughable. A couple of people always echo NYSC as :

N----Now
Y-----Your
S----Suffering
C----Continues

Baiscally, every successive govt has made the rot in NYSC deep inspite of Gowon's dream for the corps. Many people see it as a avenue for jamboree. Jamboree such as going to the far east to impregnate naive village girls. Others see the NYSC as an opportunity to sow their wild oats and expunge the budding pressure ravaging their loins
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by tollu: 10:24pm On May 25, 2007
Totally, Absolutely and a Really, Really Bloody waste of precious time but unfortunately for some of us who intend to go into public service, we MUST go through with it except u want the Obanikoro scenario(though u can get away wit all sorts in Naija). So peeps, hold ur heads up high and go serve ur motherland by wastin 1 year of ur precious life. Great orientation period though.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by boladonas(m): 11:46pm On May 25, 2007
tollu:

Totally, Absolutely and a Really, Really Bloody waste of precious time but unfortunately for some of us who intend to go into public service, we MUST go through with it except u want the Obanikoro scenario(though u can get away wit all sorts in Naija). So peeps, hold your heads up high and go serve your motherland by wastin 1 year of your precious life. Great orientation period though.

Absolute waste of time and opportunity for wrong footings!
The number of pregnant corpers in Lagos this year is alarming
I wonder if they re ready for family life!
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kellorah: 12:57am On May 26, 2007
personally, YES!!!! angry
poor students suffer from malaria and all other diseases all in the name of NYSC!! angry
give them jobs related to their courses and pay them well.
only 9ja i know does NYSC, rubbish
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by nosa101(f): 1:08am On May 26, 2007
kellorah:

poor students suffer from malaria and all other diseases all in the name of NYSC!! angry
only Nigeria i know does NYSC, rubbish

it beats military service
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:10am On May 26, 2007
kellorah:

only Nigeria i know does NYSC, rubbish

errr, in Isreal everyone 18 and above must do compulsory military service. The tennis player Shahar Peer had to take a yr off the WTA circuit to go do hers. I think most countries have something akin to what we have but trust us to always pooh pooh our own little efforts. I'm sure if the US did something like that most of us would be singing its praises even more than the americans themselves.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kellorah: 1:26am On May 26, 2007
i doubt the US would ever do such a thing.
that's israel, this is 9ja. we don't need things like tha to slow us down.
we need our money quickly so we can help our families.
i know they train you, prepare you for life ahead and what not, but seriously, a majority can be where they want to be without having to go for NYSC.
i don't get why they have to post you ANY WHERE they feel like.

how long do you have to do the NYSC stuff for?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:28am On May 26, 2007
just 12months. its not a punishment. grin
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kellorah: 1:29am On May 26, 2007
ha!!! shocked
i could be working AND earning loadz of money tongue

when they go on to teach during their NYSC (like some of them do), do they get paid for it?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:35am On May 26, 2007
everyone gets paid a stipend by govt. If you are lucky to work were you get paid too that means extra pay to u. I was paid two salaries.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kellorah: 1:38am On May 26, 2007
2? the company AND the govt?? shocked
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:52am On May 26, 2007
well both govt as i worked in a fed university
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kellorah: 1:54am On May 26, 2007
at least, yours went well.
i know 2 'skeke' sisters doing their NYSC now and i really feel sorry for them but in a way i don't grin

i'm glad i don't have to go through that. i doubt i'd be able to survive.
some people say they send them to bushes. i just hope they don't mean it literally.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by awoof(m): 1:58am On May 26, 2007
davidylan:

errr, in Isreal everyone 18 and above must do compulsory military service. The tennis player Shahar Peer had to take a yr off the WTA circuit to go do hers. I think most countries have something akin to what we have but trust us to always pooh pooh our own little efforts. I'm sure if the US did something like that most of us would be singing its praises even more than the americans themselves.

God bless you, i have decided not to contribute to this thread until i read your post above. Most of the advanced countries have programmes akin to our own NYSC, and military in nature. Maybe i should remind some of the posters that the world renowned boxer was once jailed by the US government because he refused to do his compulsory 1 year service in Vietnam and when he came out of jail, he lost his H/weight championship fight woefully. I am not saying that the way it is run is perfect, but it is a national service and we all owe it a duty to make it work. Like somebody said, it is not compulsory if you are from an affluent family and you feel you will not work in the public service nobody will force you, or you feel that you can stand on your own after your graduation. I think it is meant for people who will work in the public service, because at one point or the other in your carrier you will find yourself in an area other than your own. As for me i did mine in a village in Niger state, prior to that time i had never lived a village life in my life, but at the end of it i made the best out of it. Come to think of it my own NYSC is a continuous one because i can be posted to any part of Nigeria, no qualms i was prepared for it wink
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 1:58am On May 26, 2007
kellorah:

at least, yours went well.
i know 2 'skeke' sisters doing their NYSC now and i really feel sorry for them but in a way i don't grin

i'm glad i don't have to go through that. i doubt i'd be able to survive.
some people say they send them to bushes. i just hope they don't mean it literally.

so i said but i survived it and came out much stronger.  grin
Yes the literarily mean you are sent to the bush! Most of the states in the north are nothing beyond the state capitals. Imagine getting to a whole Yola in 2004 and there was not a single cell phone company.
The village i was sent to was worse, we had only one analogue phone to the whole local government, you had to go and book in advance to use the phone!

Some local govts dont have banks so you have to spend N500 to go and collect N7,500 every month putting at least 3-4 hrs on the road!

But it was fun though especially if you are blessed to serve in the state capital.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kellorah: 2:03am On May 26, 2007
''have to spend N500 to go and collect N7,500 every month putting at least 3-4 hrs on the road!''
awwwwwwwww!!! that is so sad.

thank God for technology grin

as we are more 'advanced' do we really need to carry on serving?

i don't get why it is compulsory though. has it always been like that?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 2:09am On May 26, 2007
it has been compulsory since the 1970's i forget when it started now, maybe 1973 or so.

It's sad thinking about it sitting in your comfortable living room but when you go through it, its the most challenging and best part of ur life. For once you know what it really feels like to go without many of the luxuries we take for granted. Imagine being able to check emails once a month only. Yu have to give ur colleagues your email address and password to help u print out all ur emails for u.
No electricity, you learn to wash ur clothes, dry them and "iron" them by folding under ur bed.
No tv games, u're forced to build relationships with those around u, people u would have ordinarily snobbed. Nothing prepared me for life on my own better than those wonderful God-sent 10months on the dry plains of Yola.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by donan(m): 2:10am On May 26, 2007
NYSC is the worse thing that happens to a nigerian students. some people make statements like you stand the chance of making friends and even wife during the NYSC. But to me that NYSC is a waste of tym and resources and i will do everything possible to skip that thing. Because i cant stand wasting one whole.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by rikkyjen(m): 2:18am On May 26, 2007
awoof:

God bless you, i have decided not to contribute to this thread until i read your post above. Most of the advanced countries have programmes akin to our own NYSC, and military in nature. Maybe i should remind some of the posters that the[b] world renowned boxer was once jailed by the US government because he refused to do his compulsory 1 year service in Vietnam and when he came out of jail, he lost his H/weight championship fight woefully[/b]. I am not saying that the way it is run is perfect, but it is a national service and we all owe it a duty to make it work. Like somebody said, it is not compulsory if you are from an affluent family and you feel you will not work in the public service nobody will force you, or you feel that you can stand on your own after your graduation. I think it is meant for people who will work in the public service, because at one point or the other in your carrier you will find yourself in an area other than your own. As for me i did mine in a village in Niger state, prior to that time i had never lived a village life in my life, but at the end of it i made the best out of it. Come to think of it my own NYSC is a continuous one because i can be posted to any part of Nigeria, no qualms i was prepared for it wink

Actually, you are wrong bro, It was Muhammed Ali. He was in detention or so cos he was Lilly-Livered to go to Vietnam. he didnt want to die so he claimed religious reasons and deserted the Army! and basically what happened to Ali during Vietnam was conscription. Dude was forced against his will anyways! so it wasn't an NYSC kind of thing
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by donan(m): 2:18am On May 26, 2007
Some people even talk about the the allowance as an inspiration for participating in the program. That makes me LMAO. How much is the allowance? i guess is around N8000. Mind you! this is equivalent to the minimum wage. Does that mean that you spent those painful years in the university just to startup with a gate mans salary? Abeg supporters of NYSC get some more concrete reasons to support your baseless motion.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:18am On May 26, 2007
donz, you really need to get off laudate's jock.

abi enkan mi lo wa ni gbe?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 2:36am On May 26, 2007
donan:

Some people even talk about the the allowance as an inspiration for participating in the program. That makes me LMAO. How much is the allowance? i guess is around N8000. Mind you! this is equivalent to the minimum wage. Does that mean that you spent those painful years in the university just to startup with a gate mans salary? Abeg supporters of NYSC get some more concrete reasons to support your baseless motion.

dear, its not all about the alawi its more the experience you gain, the friendships you build and the life lessons you learn. I still look back to those yrs with fondest memories. The alawi wasnt much at all, imagine you collect ur salary, buy one recharge card (for flashing purposes only), take ur friends out to mamaput for some isi ewu, buy buscuit for the pikins around ur house, pay tithe, go shopping for the month and alas by the time you get home u have barely enough to transport u to work every day till the next alawi comes.
Dont forget to keep money to tip the ZI, buy small yam for musa and u are looking at 12 months of being constantly broke. Even the transport money by road back to Lagos is half ur monthly alawi, forget travelling by air unless u recieve ur alawi for 6 months in advance. . .

And yet we still had plenty of fun. My dear give it a shot, u'll be stupendously glad u did. What other opportunities will i ever get to go look 40yr olds in the face and abuse them as i like and watch them beg me for marks "oga abeg pls sir let me pass". grin my brother, that life was sweet.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by awoof(m): 3:08am On May 26, 2007
@rikkyjen

Thanks a million for authenticating my story about national service a la Americana. first of all i apologise for ommiting his name i did the posting in haste thus leaving out the name.

Please i want contributors to read my post and his reply if what i said was different from what he said. abi you think say i be 'mai tea', 'alaye baba', or 'baranda' to say they run NYSC in america? angry Go search for the story and feed me back if the supposed "conscription" was not supposed to be his own share of the 1 year compulsory military service.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 3:12am On May 26, 2007
glad to know I didn't miss a thing
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by fellow(m): 9:40am On May 26, 2007
Well to be quite honest, the experience of getting out Ogun State all the way to Cross River (Imagine the distance) was so much fun for me plus i boarded a plane for the first time in my life.
Though it got to a time i saw it as a waste of time cause i wasnt stable and was always at home but at time i just wished i had enjoyed it the way i planned it before jetting off.

Thank GOD its over sha

davidylan:

dear, its not all about the alawi its more the experience you gain, the friendships you build and the life lessons you learn. I still look back to those years with fondest memories. The alawi wasnt much at all, imagine you collect your salary, buy one recharge card (for flashing purposes only), take your friends out to mamaput for some isi ewu, buy buscuit for the pikins around your house, pay tithe, go shopping for the month and alas by the time you get home u have barely enough to transport u to work every day till the next alawi comes.
Dont forget to keep money to tip the ZI, buy small yam for musa and u are looking at 12 months of being constantly broke. Even the transport money by road back to Lagos is half your monthly alawi, forget travelling by air unless u recieve your alawi for 6 months in advance. . .

And yet we still had plenty of fun. My dear give it a shot, u'll be stupendously glad u did. What other opportunities will i ever get to go look 40yr olds in the face and abuse them as i like and watch them beg me for marks "oga abeg please sir let me pass". grin my brother, that life was sweet.
O ga oh!!!! You sef enjoy your NYSC I thought you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corpers Prepare Food For IDPs At Malkori Camp, Adamawa (Photos) / Otondos, Share Your First-day Camp Experience! / What Is Holding Rivers State Government From Paying Us Our Allowance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.