Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? (15425 Views)

NYSC Is Wasting Our Time With Their Inconsistency / Was Your NYSC A Waste Of Time? / Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by thebaron(m): 9:21pm On Jun 08, 2007
Check this out: the govt claim tha they spend approximately one million on each youth corper for their service year. imagine what will happen to the economy if this money is used to give these young people 2 months training program on Leadership, Enterpreneurship and self development. These young people will turn out to be employers of labour and most of the ignorant people who keep complaining about the government not providing jobs will not do so co there will be jobs. the economy will be better for it.
Think about it. cool
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by cuju: 11:59am On Jun 15, 2007
Its really a waste of time. For me, its useless. They say its to unite the country. What a joke! Whether we like it or not, ethnicity is here to stay.  "Serve your fatherland". Which fatherland? Really funny.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 15, 2007
Nope! it wasn't a waste of time o.

At least, it afforded someone like me the opportunity of knowing my village for the very first time. grin
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kazizms: 8:17pm On Jun 15, 2007
i heard that Nysc has changed the age limit to 25 years .Read it in the independent newspapaer of 14 june 2007.any body heard anything
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by myro(m): 11:48am On Jun 19, 2007
NYSC is a waste of time. Most of the time you are engaged in mindless, tiresome activites like CD's that are actually hours spent sitting around doing nothing. The only good thing I can say about it is that it atleast provides a cushion period for university graduates during which they fully come to terms with the extent of the employment problem in nigeria and in a few fortunate cases, get jobs before the year is over. This is a negative positive because if there was no employment problem then it too would not be neccessary.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by myro(m): 12:09pm On Jun 19, 2007
@olowotee
so you needed a whole year to get to know you HOME TOWN?? come on, if knowing your home town was so important, your parents would have taken you before you graduated UNIVERSITY (i mean you had that gap year when you took JAMB a second time. That would have been a great oppurtunity)

Besides, how did you get posted to your state of origin??
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by MP007(m): 10:16am On Jun 24, 2007
NYSC, that program should be scraped, doent make sense any more
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 26, 2007
@myro Good Question!!!

twas just that i'd been a Lagos girl before i did my NYSC. Not my fault anyway, I had my Nursery, Primary, Secondary & University (BSc degree) in Lagos, Unlike my other siblings who got the opportunity of travelling with my parents. it just didn't work out for me, So NYSC afforded me the opport. of visiting other states aside Lagos for the first time!

I didn't serve in my Home town, i served in Kogi, But the joy was there when we passed through my state & Local government area, and i was like oops!! so this is the so called Ifedore Local Gov.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by oshiokee(m): 10:57pm On Jun 28, 2007
NYSC worst period of my life. looked forward to it and never looking back at it. Three weeks of unhealthy association i.e. sanitary condition and those of u that had sex. Glad i am thru with it. Most ignorant people look forward to it because of stories from the past. NYSc is just living in PAST GLORIES. Currently not in tune with the ideas of the 21st century
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by deezzle(m): 7:57am On Jul 16, 2007
One thing i believe they can do to make the programme worthwhile is this, let them make self defence classes available to the Corpers. I mean, our ladies get harrased day in the out. i remember a case of a LASTMa official beating a bus passenger with a belt just because she objected to them being taken to the station with the bus driver when it was getting close to 8am.
I mean, if corpers are taught how to defend themselves cases of oppression, bullying,etc will reduce. Tell me what you think. Cheers
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by uchetobi(f): 9:32am On Jul 16, 2007
bloody waste of one year angry
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by shawn123: 9:39am On Jul 18, 2007
complete waste of time, energy, intellect, intuition. Do you know what you can do in 12 months. most guys are just emphasising on fun, fun and fun in NYSC whats the fun the parties or living alone or the women, please didnt you do all that in school. open your eyes and see the clock is ticking and time is not on your side, fun, cant believe this?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Bonito(f): 11:49am On Jul 18, 2007
I completely agree that NYSC is an absolute waste of time and resources! Like everything else in Nigeria it is so riddled with corruption that if there was any good to be had in the establishment of the scheme, it was lost somewhere in the very distant past. Scarce resources and staff time i feel are poured into the project that has fast become a 'white elephant' guzzling so much money with little or nothing to show for it!it is also a very sad testimony of our educational system that pple have to wait till NYSC to 'unlearn' ethnic myths and bias about other cultures! Anyone want to start a 'movement for the actualisation of the scrapping of nysc', i'm up for it!!!

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by shawn123: 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2007
i am sooo up for it bonito
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by thebaron(m): 2:22pm On Jul 19, 2007
Hate to say I told y'all so but told ya. NYSC should be scrapped. Can you Imagine they have just introduced a quota system because the government can not cope with the increasing number of graduates. Look the program is already outdated and serving no purpose so what is the point. A lot of young and productive Nigerians are wasting valuable time sitting in one place because nobody would employ them without the NYSC certificate. The whole situation is a lot uglier than u think it is. For all you people who still believe the program should I wish y'all the best but I feel kinda sorry for you if u have to depend on something as irrelevant as that to determine the cause of your life. I have made my choice and it certainly aint got nothing to do with NYSC.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by povallev(m): 2:27pm On May 11, 2008
The fact that people get to know lands and people they have never met is not enough to justify the NYSC program. We can always achieve that through other means. One should simply know and interact with any people some opportunity made him or her to meet. It is natural to be happy to meet others.

Make the schools equiped enough to be able to develop the desired skills in the people and create for jobs that enable them to find the means to face their individual life challenges or give them financial aids based on feasility studies they submit for investments they may want to make towards that end. This will be the fair thing govt. can do.

It is argonizing to finish from servive only to return to a more tough battle of finding job.

I would have given some support but again the people are not posted to their relevant fields of study then what's the use. I should not study one thing and have my experience in something different. It does not encourage progressive pursue of ones dream carrier.

I experienced things that made me happy in the service year but that was from my personal design and creation of something to save my precious time.

Right now am still searching for job and becoming scaring to all for the fear of my requesting assistance from them.

The NYSC is indeed a waste of time on one hand and in addition it constitute spiritual and moral distruction to many who were very unfortunate.

God help us.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by banni: 12:09am On May 14, 2008
I have to agree that NYSC really is a waste of time.When i did mine i found it totally pointless .
But 2 things it did.It gave me a cooling period before actually going into the cruel world and it helped me understand that the country system does not work .
Buying the certificate is so easy which makes me wonder why all those politicans have not got it under their desk and let their opponets use it against them.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Quesera: 2:38pm On May 14, 2008
Same thing i've been saying.

Sad enough i lost a friend in an accident, thanks 2 NYSC

The thing should be limited to the orientation.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Mustay(m): 2:02am On May 15, 2008
Since the FG wants to re introduce the OFN(operation feed nigeria) kinda thing, it might not really be a waste of time to make corpers farm as part of service to their fatherland abi?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by abujabooks(f): 11:03am On May 21, 2008
Not really.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by semacity: 2:12pm On May 22, 2008
I KNOW TO SOME NYSC FAVOUR THEM TO OTHER REVERS IS THE CASE.
WELL, TO ME IS A WELCOME PROGRAM, IT SHOULD STAY.
I ACTUALLY MET MY WIFE DURING THE SERVICE YEAR.
ISNT THAT WONDERFUL?[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by VICTORCC: 3:32pm On May 22, 2008
IN FACT IT IS COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, I DON'T KNOW OF ANY BODY ELSE. UNA NEED TO SEE WHAT I HAPPENING [/color] TO SOME OF THE CORP MEMBERS BE FOR THEY COLLECT THEIR ALLAWEE THE SO CALLED NATIONAL CAKE FOR GRADUATE. I NEED NOT TO MEANTION STATES THAT CORP MEMBERS PAY FOR CLEARANCE( MONEY OF #350) BE FOR THEY COLLECT #10,000 AT TIMES IS NOT COMPLETE BECAUSE OF THE BANK CHARGES MAKE UNA HELP ME TELL FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO STOP TO MISSLEAD US. IT IS TOOOOO MUUUUCH. NAIRA LAND WHAT DO YOU THINK.[/color]
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by gbengaza: 5:54pm On May 22, 2008
the original objectives and ideals of the program is quite laudable but like every good program in nigeria,it is the execution that is faulty,for most of us we would have never moved out of our locality if not for NYSC.It should not be scrapped because it still helps to aid integration to some level.www.achievers.ideas.com
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by jaydude(f): 5:09pm On Jul 08, 2008
all of you sayin nysc is a waste of time,,i dont tink u went to school.if u did,pls dont serve.2 years later,tell us d result, nysc is a hot cake now,cos almost all employers have made it a major ticket to enter any organization, naija na wa!
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by aromite: 12:14am On Jul 25, 2008
I agree it's a total waste of time and resources especially for those that have spent enormous time in school due to
closures
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by sollex(m): 7:34pm On Jul 25, 2008
I feel depending on where you served.You might have it rough or fun filled. But the bottom line is that it has lost some of it's originality. But notwithstanding to my opinion Things can still be changed and improved upon.
I on my part really enjoyed my service year, it was worth while to me.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Alabaodus: 7:57pm On Jul 25, 2008
NYSC is a complete waste of time. the posing to various place of pry assgnmt is where our youths are exposed to fraud, corrution and bribery.

imagine a 26 yrs old graduate having to serve his/her faether land for one yr, only to come back and hear that he/she can not apply for hot jobs again because the age is beyond their age limit of 26 yrs.

FGN shd pls help the helpless youths by scraping the programme
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by A40(m): 7:57pm On Jul 28, 2008
Tell us something we dont know.NYSC is crap absolute waste of time while peeps schooling in the UK and the States are assured of jobs on graduation you are not even assured of one in Nigeria when you are through serving
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by ProfJYK(m): 12:28am On Jul 08, 2009
one of its purposes is national integration and to engender unity in nigeria.
but in the face of religious clashes, who wants to be integrated with people of a different belief at the risk of life threatening encounters.
i lost a friend to religious clashes, 2 more to road accidents, and 1 to lack of access to medical facilities ans they were posted to stone age localities.

it should be scrapped or limited to the orientation camp
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Ezons4(m): 9:14am On Jul 08, 2009
Well its not.Its a call to duty.Atleast serve your country for 1 yr not 2 yrs.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by ProfJYK(m): 12:24pm On Jul 08, 2009
its a call to national duty, and should be obeyed for the sake of patroitism, but think of it the number of corpmen working is poor.

service should be improved in terms of allowance, (9500, is pittance in the face of high cost of living in the country), safety, secutiry, good transportation plans, access to medical facilities etc.

norwegians give thier father land 11 months of military services as national duties, and the incentives in place would make you want to continue as a military personnel.

we're really in the third world, sorry fifth world.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by ProfJYK(m): 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2009
@thebaron
Check this out: the govt claim tha they spend approximately one million on each youth corper for their service year. imagine what will happen to the economy if this money is used to give these young people 2 months training program on Leadership, Enterpreneurship and self development. These young people will turn out to be employers of labour and most of the ignorant people who keep complaining about the government not providing jobs will not do so co there will be jobs. the economy will be better for it.
Think about it.

its their normal way of inflating prices. 1000000 per corpman, that unbelievable.

dont forget these thing are gotten at mass production prices
NYSC immitation converse allstar boots
immitation military style pants pant
NYSC sock
belt
ill fitting jacket
undersized boy ajasco like cap

whole thing reeks bad fashion statement.
add thing like monthly allowance, logistics, accomodation, camp expenses, feeding

the grand total still falls short (by a large margin) of a millie per person. haba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corpers Prepare Food For IDPs At Malkori Camp, Adamawa (Photos) / What Is Holding Rivers State Government From Paying Us Our Allowance? / Otondos, Share Your First-day Camp Experience!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.