Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Avoid Saying These Words To Someone That Has A Chronic Illness - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Avoid Saying These Words To Someone That Has A Chronic Illness (229 Views)

Can You Imagine Him Saying These "Nobody Holy Pass Me, Even Pastor...." / Stop Focusing On Your Chronic Illness, Focus On These Instead / 5 Ways To Support A Co-worker With A Chronic Illness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Avoid Saying These Words To Someone That Has A Chronic Illness by abayomitheblog(m): 6:35pm On Oct 20, 2019
Let me first give some examples of chronic illness, the likes of cancer, HIV, sickle cell disorder, arthritis, diabetes are some good examples.

Chronic illness is so misunderstood in the society. Many do not understand what it takes to be chronically ill, so they use words that are not only discriminating but also hurt the feelings and might cause harm to the chronically ill mental health.

You might not know the following words hurt but trust me it does hurt and you should stop using them.

1. “Why are you tired?”
Chronic fatigue is a major problem for people like this. They wake up tired even after ten hours sleep, it is their fault, it is deficiency in their body. For some it is anemia.
So don't ask them why they are tired.

2. “But you don’t look sick”
Some might not look sick, it is called invisible illness. And the fact you can’t see it does not mean it does not exist.

3. “Pray about it”
Yes, faith is important and prayer is good but I don’t think medicine and faith mix well.

You can’t just pray chronic pain away.

4. “You are too young to…”
The you are too young phrase is common.

Some say “You are to young to have (insert disease)” or “You are too young to use a walking aid”. People have to understand that age has nothing to do with chronic illness.

5. “Stop using the walking aid, you can do without it”
Whether it is a walking stick or a wheelchair, don't make them feel guilty especially when you see them use it and later see they are not using it.
Not everyone on a wheelchair has lost the use of their lower body and it is not everyone that uses a walking stick must have a bandage.

Continue reading words to never say to a chronically ill below
https://yomisblog.com/10-things-to-never-say-to-a-chronically-ill/

(1) (Reply)

HAPPY NEW MONTH:- What Would You Do Differently To Achieve The Best Result...... / 40 Inspiring Morning Affirmations To Startup Your Day / Jumia Black Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.