Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,339 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Stop Focusing On Your Chronic Illness, Focus On These Instead - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Stop Focusing On Your Chronic Illness, Focus On These Instead (208 Views)

Parenting Children With Chronic Illness: How To Stay Healthy, Sane, And Powerful / 5 Ways To Support A Co-worker With A Chronic Illness / Avoid Saying These Words To Someone That Has A Chronic Illness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stop Focusing On Your Chronic Illness, Focus On These Instead by abayomitheblog(m): 2:01pm On Mar 16, 2020
One of the biggest challenges of living with a chronic illness is that it quickly make us feel less human. We focus on getting better and put so much effort into finding a cure which isn't bad but then we forget that we are human and just like every other human, we have emotions, thoughts, interests. We have the wish to belong but we tend to put all that away because of our illness.

There was a time when all I saw was my ‘sickled’ cell but it was in terms of delayed growth and skinny body frame. After few years it changed maybe I could give credit to some of the books I read. Just like me, you too can stop focusing on sickle cell. Let me first say that it is normal to feel I did especially as a young person because it is part of life with a chronic illness.

Here’s what to focus on instead.

1. Mindset
Your mindset is really important. It helps you see the little opportunity in the greatest of hardships. Some wise men have divided mindset into two; fixed mindset and growth mindset.

Someone with a fixed mindset prefers to think that he cannot have or become something because of his health, lack of talent or skill. Hence, they do not see themselves as someone that can make a change.

Meanwhile, people with growth mindset do not let any of that affect them. They think, how can I have this rather than I cannot have it. They find ways to learn skills and appreciate the process of growing even though they do not have the ‘skill’.

And remember that there is no one way to getting somewhere in life, you can also creating your own path as long as it leads you to your destination (goal).

2. Values
Our values are reflected in our day to day actions. Sometimes we think we value something but in truth we actually do not because what we value, we give more importance.

You need to start focusing on what you value. The things you would rather do with your time. Still on value but from another angle, let’s ask ourselves, how valuable are you? What values do you have to offer others?

Just so you know, money is no longer the reward for hard work, it is now the reward for value. The more value you offer, the more money you earn. If you don’t think you have enough value to offer, don’t feel bad. It’s never too late to use your growth mindset; find a valuable skill to learn and don’t stop learning and growing.

3. Growth
This is the most important. You are in competition with no one but you, who you were yesterday. There is no need to compare yourself instead focus on growing, focus on becoming a better person and becoming the best at whatever you do.

Always seek ways to grow, unlearn old things and learn new things.

Read the full article https://yomisblog.com/stop-focusing-on-sickle-cell-focus-on-these-instead/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News From Google: You Can Now Use The Google Translate App On Android.. / Boko Haram/ Coronavirus / See The Newest Couple In Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.