Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (330676 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Drsmartphilips: 3:19pm On Apr 01, 2022
Marveaux:

Sure
this is the task

1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Drsmartphilips: 3:21pm On Apr 01, 2022
Located in wine country, Reid's Raisin Company (RRC) is a food-processing rm that purchases
surplus grapes from grape growers, dries them into raisins, applies a layer of sugar, and sells the
sugar-coated raisins to major cereal and candy companies. At the beginning of the grape growing
season, RRC has two decisions to make. The rst involves how many grapes to buy under contract,
and the second involves how much to charge for the sugar-coated raisins it sells.
In the spring, RRC typically contracts with a grower who will supply a given amount of grapes in the
autumn at a xed cost of $0.25 per pound. The balance between RRC's grape requirements and those
supplied by the grower must be purchased in the autumn on the open market at a price that could
vary from a historical low of $0.20 per pound to a high of $0.35 per pound. (RRC cannot, however,
sell grapes on the open market in the autumn if it has a surplus of inventory because it does not have
a distribution system for such purposes.)
The other major decision facing RRC is the price to charge for sugar-coated raisins. RRC has several
customers who buy RRC's output in price-dependent quantities. RRC negotiates with these processors
as a group to arrive at a price for the sugar-coated raisins and quantity to be bought at that price.
The negotiations take place in the spring, long before the open market price of grapes is known.
Based on prior years' experience, RRC's general manager believes that if RRC prices the sugar-coated
raisins at $2.20 per pound, the processors' orders will total 750,000 pounds of sugar-coated raisins.
Furthermore, this total will increase by 15,000 pounds for every penny reduction in sugar-coated raisin
price below $2.20. The same relationship holds in the other direction; demand will drop by 15,000 for
each penny increase. The price of $2.20 is a tentative starting point in the negotiations.
The information above allows us to construct a demand function that estimates the quantity of raisins
demanded based on the price that we charge. This demand function is Q(p) = 4; 050; 000�1; 500; 000p,
where Q(p) is the quantity of raisins demanded (per pound) at the price per pound p. You can
double-check that this is correct by substituting p = $2:20 into the demand function to con rm that
the resulting quantity demanded is 750,000 pounds as stated above.
Sugar-coated raisins are made by washing and drying grapes into raisins, followed by spraying the
raisins with a sugar coating that RRC buys for $0.55 per pound. It takes 2.5 pounds of grapes plus 0.5
pounds of coating to make one pound of sugar-coated raisins, the balance being water that evaporates
during the drying of the grapes. In addition to the raw materials cost for the grapes and the coating,
RRC's processing plant incurs a variable cost of $0.20 to process one pound of grapes into raisins, up
to its capacity of 1.5 million pounds of grapes. For volumes above 1.5 million pounds of grapes, RRC
outsources grape processing to another food processor, which charges RRC $0.45 per pound. This
SCMG 614  Sensitivity Analysis Group Problem 2
price includes just the processing cost, as RRC supplies both the grapes and the coating required.
RRC also incurs xed overhead costs in its grape processing plant of $200,000 per year.
The general manager has asked you to analyze the situation to guide her in the upcoming negotiations.
Her goal is to examine the e ect of various \What if?" scenarios on RRC's pro ts. As a basis for
the analysis, she suggests using a contract purchase price of $0.25, with a supply quantity of 1 million
pounds of grapes from the grower, along with a selling price of $2.20 for sugar-coated raisins. She is
primarily interested in evaluating annual pre-tax pro t as a function of the selling price and open-
market grape price. She believes that the open-market grape price is most likely to be $0.30.
a. Design a spreadsheet that will allow RRC to project pro t for the base-case conditions identi ed
in the last paragraph of the problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Omotaday(m): 3:34pm On Apr 02, 2022
Felixitie:

Excel Power pivot should handle that or powerbi. If the files are in csv you could import them into sql server or mysql.
Thanks. I will try that
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Loliedee: 2:58am On Apr 03, 2022
Hello everyone . Is anyone from the US here that's a data analyst or data scientist and would like to connect?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by horlabisi93: 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2022
Bibitayo2:
I started with an excel basics eBook and took courses on coursera for the advanced level.
The eBook is in PDF format and I have been unable to share it on Nairaland.
kindly send to my email also olabisiakangbe@gmail.com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by belovez(m): 5:01pm On Apr 03, 2022
cochtrane:
Glad to see this thread still making progress. If you are interested in data science tutorials and/or lectures at beginner to intermediate level, watch out for this space smiley. I'll be offering a series of lectures in the coming months for those interested who want to transition or stay motivated. Lectures may be paid though, cos my observation from giving free lectures is that they hardly make any significant impact.
Boss, thanks for visiting. Please make the class free we (I) won't trivialize the opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Emarex: 7:52am On Apr 04, 2022
What should I learn in Excel as a data analyst?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by T4kbaba(m): 8:49am On Apr 04, 2022
Emarex:
What should I learn in Excel as a data analyst?

Follow this channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U7YXo4Rmp4

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tk003(m): 2:55pm On Apr 04, 2022
Hi,

Please, guide me through on how to comnine two excel files into one on excel 2016.

Thanks.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by itzzkhaliii(m): 8:47pm On Apr 04, 2022
cochtrane:
Glad to see this thread still making progress. If you are interested in data science tutorials and/or lectures at beginner to intermediate level, watch out for this space smiley. I'll be offering a series of lectures in the coming months for those interested who want to transition or stay motivated. Lectures may be paid though, cos my observation from giving free lectures is that they hardly make any significant impact.
Let me register by my presence abeg a quote will go a long way if you start.Thanks alot bigman.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Tenshades(m): 3:27pm On Apr 05, 2022
Omotaday:
Get a recent version of Excel.

Done.
Thanks.

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 3:26pm On Apr 07, 2022
Please ant tips on your top prepare for a data analyst position that uses mostly excel.

Like questions to expect and scenarios one can explain using excel.

Thank you
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 7:26pm On Apr 08, 2022
Hinokami:
Please ant tips on your top prepare for a data analyst position that uses mostly excel.

Like questions to expect and scenarios one can explain using excel.

Thank you

Learn everything you can about Pivot Tables, Sorting and Filtering, Charts, Power Query.

There are more, but you can start with the above.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 7:28pm On Apr 08, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Learn everything you can about Pivot Tables, Sorting and Filtering, Charts, Power Query.

There are more, but you can start with the above.
Thankyou
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by absool(m): 2:07pm On Apr 11, 2022
jolak5:
Hello guys, I'm learning python and I have an aptitude test with a school today.

Can anyone help me with the solution to this question?

Print(len(data) - 1)
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nastydroid(m): 5:50am On Apr 13, 2022
tolajay:
Is anyone signed up to Data Camp?

I just subscribed to their annual premium plan at a discounted price for $99.

Hoping the journey to becoming a data analyst will be swift.

Hello, how is it going with the data camp? I just got free access via Ingressive4good. Can you give a quick review about the quality of the resources and probably Rate it on a scale of 1-10
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Pesbest: 3:36am On Apr 14, 2022
hi there, where can one get real datasets(free) to practice using excel??

Is the knowledge of tableau/power bi/python/R/ mandatory for entry-level data analyst jobs( Mostly remote jobs)?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nastydroid(m): 11:03pm On Apr 14, 2022
you can check kaggle
Pesbest:
hi there, where can one get real datasets(free) to practice using excel??

Is the knowledge of tableau/power bi/python/R/ mandatory for entry-level data analyst jobs( Mostly remote jobs)?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by bustlezach01(m): 8:41am On Apr 15, 2022
Hi everyone,
How could someone who self schooled herself in programming start a career in IT? Considering that she doesn't have a degree in IT.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Loliedee: 11:40am On Apr 15, 2022
Pls Can you contact me? I have tried to reach you. check your spam please.
morgang:
Hi guys, please don’t be deterred with the current job prospects of being a Data scientist/analyst. I’m also new to this but I’m quite positive. While you’re getting the skills, look for other avenues to leave the country.

I’m in the U.S doing my Masters in a different field and I can guarantee you that the demand for data analysts are always endless. No knowledge is a waste. We’ll get there someday!

Please, if you’re very good in data analysis, I will appreciate your mentorship. Currently in my last phase in Tableau, I hope to advance to Python next week. I’m also stuck with Tableau project (I enrolled with Simplilearn boot camp) and I need help!

I’d appreciate anyone reaching out.

Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by WhizdomXX(m): 1:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by House34: 5:16pm On Apr 16, 2022
mosix4real:
I just sat for the PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst Exam. I passed. I scored 725. Next up - SQL

Good!

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by House34: 5:21pm On Apr 16, 2022
Ejiod:

Regarding unclean data: mostly when I get data that is dirty. Mostly I check the format of each column. If something is off I will then have to use python/pandas to clean.
However I make use excel sometimes in cleaning the data with wildcards. You can have trailing white spaces or punctuations that could skew your data but you need to understand the data and what it’s needed from the data before you apply those data cleaning features.
2. How do I spot errors? You can use power query editor built on powerBi but I mostly make use of pandas_profiling to check this.
3. Excel can be used for visualization but can never be as powerBi or Tableau. The latter is the king of business intelligence.

Brillant!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by raylandmark: 6:00pm On Apr 19, 2022
Hi
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tk003(m): 8:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Honlucas: 10:52pm On Apr 21, 2022
hello guys im a newbie .
how can i leatn as an absolute beginner with no knowledge in any programming language
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by DataMiner(f): 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2022
Please guys I have been learning SQl(t-sql) for a long while now and I have no intents with working on premise. Would I be able to secure a remote job being just being an Sql developer?

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.