Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,939 members, 7,810,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (330474 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 4:33pm On Feb 15
wonyi:
Good day everyone, actually studying data analytics with cisco. I was asked to install Microsoft 365 but it's expensive. Can I install Microsoft 2021 or 2019, will it function like Microsoft 365?

Create a Microsoft Developer Account and use it for 365, you will get the full features
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wonyi: 9:04pm On Feb 15
Hinokami:

Create a Microsoft Developer Account and use it for 365, you will get the full features
thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Bassmetrics: 2:22pm On Feb 17
Hi, we will kick-off the *Data Analysis*
group/ promo training next Saturday for just 5k

*Kindly find the group link attached*

Pls share & invite your friends who may be needing this🙏
https:///CYnlQlWGm516kmn5o9EYy6
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sheDD(m): 1:16am On Mar 07
silvyblaze:
I have a Bsc in sociology, can I take a career path in Data science and Analysis?
did you later take on the data analysis part.
I'm a sociologist too i just wan know if u budge or stick to the jorney??
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sheDD(m): 1:23am On Mar 07
I'm a budding data analysist
Just finished the first step of madtering Excel
Looking 4 someone in same boat with me so we can share idea together.
Let's grow together!!!!

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Gokoyer1401: 9:35pm On Mar 07
Hi Datanerds,

What is the job portals to apply for remote jobs?

Thanks guys..
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Gokoyer1401: 10:09pm On Mar 07
Bro,
Is there any chance to get Data Analyst remote jobs from US or UK or anywhere else that pays reasonably well..

I can share my GitHub repo with you if that's necessary.
lovelybobo:

Now that you have asked, let me give you some guide.
You will need to honestly respond to the following questions

Question 1: Which industry do you hope to practice as a data analyst or scientist? You will need to select either one or two industries.
examples are Sales, Marketing, Supply Chain, Health Care, Social Media, and Customer Relations etc.

Question 2 : Do you know the top 15 KPIs that govern that industry? and how to determine them using the tools of your choice.

Question 3: Looking at the Tools: Do you know the types of references used in Excel and their business use cases? How many aggregate functions can you use in Excel and their business use cases? How many data cleaning functions do you know about in Excel and their business use cases?. You need to know how to solve business problems because you will work in a business environment.

The same questions will apply to most of the tools we use in data analytics.

Unfortunately, there are no courses, to the best of my knowledge, that can extract that information and give it to you.

My Personal Recommendations:

1) Choose an industry and get a dataset for that industry. Find out the top 10 or 15 KPIs used in that industry and how they are calculated mathematically. Determine those KPIs using your dataset. You can now proceed to build a dashboard using that dataset and the KPIs.
Repeat the process with a different dataset until you are confident and comfortable.

Example: The most important KPI for sales is total revenue; others are sales by region or state; sales by sales manager or representative.

I hope it helps you.
!!! Shalom!!!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 1:26pm On Mar 14
Worthy to mention that this particular job didn't push me to the limits as I initially envisaged. I was stagnant but I acknowledged my situation with solutions to remedy it.

Not to deter my ambition, I worked harder, skilled up, build projects and networked(very important as when opportunity meets preparation, success ensues). I was able to get an analyst role in a bank this year which is currently ideal for my career.

It was never easy to be honest, the journey is fraught with perseverance, frustration, depression too. But never relent.

Many of us are really really good at what we do. Opportunity is what lacks, the demand is skewed especially in the junior roles where supply is less than demand. The story changes as you ascend to the upper echelons. But getting in is the biggest challenge most newbies face.

Hinokami:

Didn't get any formal interviews. Was recommended for a job unrelated to Data but the need for a data analyst arose and since they already knew from the previous interview for the initial position that I dabbled in Data analysis, they set up another interview for the Data analyst position. Passed and got the job.

Mostly advanced excel stuff (formulas, v-lookup, data entry, tweaking customized excel templates).

For my own sake I optimized so many processes(collection, cleaning, analysis, presentation) to make my job easier, could have used python but I was weak in excel and decided to actually master excel, later on I shifted my workload to Power BI because of Power query but I could still use excel to do what I needed.

NOTE: They don't actually care what software or tech stack you use. Just get them the data they need when they request.

I hope my little experience helps. Anyone is free to ask questions.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaycee54321(m): 4:11pm On Mar 14
Kaycee54321:

Every Data tells a story. Here's mine. From the excel file here, I was able to create a simple dashboard in Excel using pivot charts and pivot tables.

Covid-19 started in China. Right now though, they have the highest number of recovered cases in the World and they're currently not even in the top ten countries list with current active cases....Let me not type much. Let the dashboard speak for itself.

Lmao. This was my "dashboard" that year.

Mehn, how time flies. Someone liked this post and I just flashed back - anybody still on this thread, please keep grinding and evolving, sun go still shine, na time e go take.

NL is King sha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Keemy88(m): 7:27pm On Apr 12
I stumbled upon this thread in 2022 and didn't know how to become a data analyst but my desire was kindled.

I started with python then gave up because it was not fun and I didn't know how to apply it to a real world case.

Then I took a coursera course on excel and bought a udemy power bi course in may 2023, which I still haven't finished.

Then I relocated to the UK half a year ago and reverse engineered the pathway to land a job. This means I was applying to jobs and attending interviews while I was learning.

I impressed some interviews and some I didn't, you can't please everyone in this world.

After persevering, I'm now a data analyst with a Tier 1 DCA company in UK.

I hope I inspired you guys.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 2:16pm On Apr 13
sheDD:
I'm a budding data analysist
Just finished the first step of madtering Excel
Looking 4 someone in same boat with me so we can share idea together.
Let's grow together!!!!
Excel is elementary. Download power BI and learn how to visualize clean and your data with it.

Then download SQL and it's database (adventure works and adventure works data management) this will help you work with sample data.

Finally, learn python. Data analysts with knowledge in Python are priced higher world wide in terms of payment than an ordinary data analyst with knowledge in just Excel and Power BI.

Good luck on your journey.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 2:20pm On Apr 13
Keemy88:
I stumbled upon this thread in 2022 and didn't know how to become a data analyst but my desire was kindled.

I started with python then gave up because it was not fun and I didn't know how to apply it to a real world case.

Then I took a coursera course on excel and bought a udemy power bi course in may 2023, which I still haven't finished.

Then I relocated to the UK half a year ago and reverse engineered the pathway to land a job. This means I was applying to jobs and attending interviews while I was learning.

I impressed some interviews and some I didn't, you can't please everyone in this world.

After persevering, I'm now a data analyst with a Tier 1 DCA company in UK.

I hope I inspired you guys.
If you have zero knowledge about the basics of data analysis, Python is the worst course to start with cos you'd get frustrated and give up.

You have to understand the basics first before learning Python.

And another thing you must know about Python is that Dem no de learn am finish. (That's how my trainer use to put it) Always have your chatgtp and Google ready whenever you're writing your codes cos you certainly cannot memorize them all.

Congratulations on your new job.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 2:34pm On Apr 13
MGeey:
Plese someone should recommend a YouTube tutorial for beginners on PowerBI for me.
I followed the advice here and applied for internship. I got an offer via LinkedIn. I have been given datasets to work on but the visualisation tool I'm asked to use is PowerBI.

It's Tableau I know and I clearly stated this on my resume. Please guys i don't want to lose this opportunity. Help me
You need someone to physically teach you the basics. Cos Power BI works with data. Find someone who can point out the basics for you. Someone who would answer all your questions especially when working with formulas. And also how to get data, clean your data, analysis your data, and visualize your data.

If you're watching YouTube without having any basic knowledge, believe me you would get lost. Cos if a firm employ's you and give you data of clients dating back to 10 years ago to clean, sort, analyse and visualize... it's then you'll understand that you didn't learn anything on YouTube cos you'll have so many unanswered questions.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 2:41pm On Apr 13
Basoj:
Good evening house. I'm currently learning Python and Machine Learning. I plan to buy a laptop that will enhance my learning. My budget is between 200k and 220k. Someone told me to go for core i5 and above but the price of the new one is beyond my budget. My intention is to buy new one. Is it advisable to go for the UK used core i5 or buy new core i3. Your suggestions and advices will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Just go for a laptop with a minimum of 8Gb of Ram and you'll be good to go.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 6:43pm On Apr 13
Nazgul:

Excel is elementary. Download power BI and learn how to visualize clean and your data with it.

Then download SQL and it's database (adventure works and adventure works data management) this will help you work with sample data.

Finally, learn python. Data analysts with knowledge in Python are priced higher world wide in terms of payment than an ordinary data analyst with knowledge in just Excel and Power BI.

I beg to differ but Excel isn't elementary.

There are a lot of businesses that rely ton excel and without it. So much would be lost. I use the triad of data analytics tools and excel by far is the most important in my organisation.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 7:19pm On Apr 13
Hinokami:
I beg to differ but Excel isn't elementary.

There are a lot of businesses that rely ton excel and without it. So much would be lost. I use the triad of data analytics tools and excel by far is the most important in my organisation.
I wasn't talking about which is more important; cos your positive or negative feedback of any Data analysis tool would strongly depend on it's importance to you in your line or field of work... just as you pointed how important Excel is in your organization.

What I simply meant which I believe you know is that on the ladder to becoming a data analyst, Excel is the easiest course you'll encounter as compared to Power BI, SQL, Machine Learning, Python...etc.

5 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sheDD(m): 8:20pm On Apr 15
Nazgul:

Thanks for your feedback

So u are saying
I shuld check powerbi wen I'm done with excel then Sql
But then some said z sql b4 powerbi
Which one do you think i shuld go into after excel??
Sql abi Powerbi
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 9:09pm On Apr 15
sheDD:

Thanks for your feedback

So u are saying
I shuld check powerbi wen I'm done with excel then Sql
But then some said z sql b4 powerbi
Which one do you think i shuld go into after excel??
Sql abi Powerbi
Those telling you to go for SQL before Power BI are not wrong, cos you can't effectively work with Power BI if you have zero knowledge of SQL. Reason being that Power BI is all about getting data for analyzation and visualization. And most of the sources of your data would be from SQL (adventure works data base...)

For me, I'd say run both concurrently.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Klinxmanz(m): 9:42pm On Apr 15
Nazgul:

Those telling you to go for SQL before Power BI are not wrong, cos you can't effectively work with Power BI if you have zero knowledge of SQL. Reason being that Power BI is all about data getting data for analyzation and visualization. And most of the sources of your data would be from SQL adventure works data base...

sir pls, recommend an online biz for me am good with ms word and wps
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sheDD(m): 2:57pm On Apr 16
Nazgul:

Those telling you to go for SQL before Power BI are not wrong, cos you can't effectively work with Power BI if you have zero knowledge of SQL. Reason being that Power BI is all about getting data for analyzation and visualization. And most of the sources of your data would be from SQL (adventure works data base...)

Pls any material you have at ur disposal for these sql and Bi
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 3:08pm On Apr 16
sheDD:
Pls any material you have at ur disposal for these sql and Bi
Send me an email and I'll reply you before the end of the day.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sheDD(m): 3:29pm On Apr 16
Nazgul:

johnsongarland165@gmail.com

This is my makeshift gmail.
But can still get the stuff
Plsss.. thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sheDD(m): 5:31pm On Apr 17
Nazgul:

boss please i already replied you with my email address
Still holding my breath out to receive from you.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nazgul: 6:25pm On Apr 17
sheDD:
boss please i already replied you with my email address
Still holding my breath out to receive from you.
Check your email
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by shreygautam: 8:52am On Apr 18
Data scientists and analysts play a crucial role in extracting insights and value from data. They utilize various tools and techniques to analyze complex data sets, identify patterns, and make data-driven decisions. Data scientists often have strong programming skills in languages like Python or R, along with expertise in statistics, machine learning, and data visualization.

Data analysts, on the other hand, focus more on interpreting data to help organizations make informed decisions. They may use SQL for data querying, Excel for data manipulation, and Tableau for data visualization. Data analysts are adept at creating reports and dashboards that communicate insights effectively to stakeholders.

Both data scientists and analysts require strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with large and messy data sets. They also need to stay updated with the latest tools and technologies in the field of data analysis and machine learning.

For individuals looking to become data scientists or analysts, enrolling in the best data analyst course can provide the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in this field.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by NIMIJOY: 2:40pm On Apr 18
Nazgul:

Please, I also need learning materials for SQL and Power BI.
Email: afolabiomolara1810@gmail.com
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.