Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,020 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (134) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331468 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sammytee02(m): 10:16am On Aug 02, 2022
lovelybobo:

The answer to your question is NO but I will recommend you get the details of the course from Coursera. Thanks

Does that mean after finishing the course, would have to learn those libraries, right?

And could you please send a link to learn them? Thanks.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lovelybobo: 3:00am On Aug 03, 2022
sammytee02:

Does that mean after finishing the course, would have to learn those libraries, right?

And could you please send a link to learn them? Thanks.

When you finish learning the course, You will learn the Libraries differently depending on what you plan to do.
Data Analysis
Data Science
Machine Learning
AI
Data Engineering
The needed python libraries will vary.
Check Freecodecamp YouTube Channel, They have everything you need.
I normally recommend you use study materials from different sources and any study material you intend to use, must have dataset you can practice with.

I hope everything is clear to you. I wish you luck in your journey.

Shalom!!!!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Rilwayne001: 8:17am On Aug 03, 2022
Raalsalghul:

What's up guys? I know it's been long since I posted here: been busy with going back to school, work and other stuff.

I remember giving the above advice the last nine months and I'll like to say that as of today, it still stands most especially from my experience working as a data analyst with an NGO while doing my MSc.

I can't emphasize it enough: learn your SQL. Again I repeat, learn your SQL if you are to switch to anything data related: whether a data analyst, scientist or engineer.

Most organizations have databases which you'll use SQL to interact with. I'm saying this because sometimes I feel there's too much emphasis on learning Python. Don't get me wrong; python is important in the world of data but it should be like number 4 on your learning list with spreadsheets and BI tools before it.

In addition to the above, I would advise you work with larger databases when practicing: the table I've been working with had about 120000 rows by 220 columns and it was just one table out of about 300 grin Quite large when you compare it to the ones used on your Udemy tutorial or YouTube or even Kaggle.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, just giving you an insider perspective. I would post more tidbits when I have the time.
Hmmmm. Interesting!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sammytee02(m): 2:14pm On Aug 03, 2022
lovelybobo:

When you finish learning the course, You will learn the Libraries differently depending on what you plan to do.
Data Analysis
Data Science
Machine Learning
AI
Data Engineering
The needed python libraries will vary.
Check Freecodecamp YouTube Channel, They have everything you need.
I normally recommend you use study materials from different sources and any study material you intend to use, must have dataset you can practice with.

I hope everything is clear to you. I wish you luck in your journey.

Shalom!!!!

Thanks a lot bro. Really appreciate it.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Teophilus96(m): 9:26am On Aug 04, 2022
Hi Data guys smiley

I want to ask my fellow colleagues in the data field about the need or the use of SQL in their data job.

Honestly, is it that it's not useful?

Basically, I make use of Tools like Excel, Power Bi, Power Query (DAX functions) and Pandas(if need be) for my analysis and Visualization.

I am also proficient with SQL for querying and that is all I know, but it has been of no use since the start of my professional career.

Please is there something I am missing? What do you guys do with SQL? Is it just there for integrating the company data from the software it uses directly to SQL for Querying which is no different from importing the same data to my pandas or Power Query?

Please I really need a detailed answer to this. It will go a long way. I just don't like the feeling of being left out on things like this. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 9:40am On Aug 04, 2022
From experience, Excel and power bi couldn't handle a dataset i was working on (4m rows X 50 columns) and that is just one table. It kept crashed and loading till infinity.

Had to import to SQL Server and link to Power BI. I took out a subset of the data though, only the part I needed using sql.

Also it comes in handy when dealing with many tables ie snowflake schema, I found it more easy and enjoyable to join tables to get specific data I needed. It never for once occured to me to use Excel to handle that data because innately I knew I was going to stress myself.

Teophilus96:
Hi Data guys smiley

I want to ask my fellow colleagues in the data field about the need or the use of SQL in their data job.

Honestly, is it that it's not useful?

Basically, I make use of Tools like Excel, Power Bi, Power Query (DAX functions) and Pandas(if need be) for my analysis and Visualization.

I am also proficient with SQL for querying and that is all I know, but it has been of no use since the start of my professional career.

Please is there something I am missing? What do you guys do with SQL? Is it just there for integrating the company data from the software it uses directly to SQL for Querying which is no different from importing the same data to my pandas or Power Query?

Please I really need a detailed answer to this. It will go a long way. I just don't like the feeling of being left out on things like this. Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Teophilus96(m): 9:50am On Aug 04, 2022
Hinokami:
From experience, Excel and power bi couldn't handle a dataset i was working on (4m rows X 50 columns) and that is just one table. It kept crashed and loading till infinity.

Had to import to SQL Server and link to Power BI. I took out a subset of the data though, only the part I needed using sql.

Also it comes in handy when dealing with many tables ie snowflake schema, I found it more easy and enjoyable to join tables to get specific data I needed. It never for once occured to me to use Excel to handle that data because innately I knew I was going to stress myself.

Interesting I must admit. If the issue is loading a Big data like the one you described and then obtaining a subset from the data, then I don't think I still need SQL as Pandas can do that for me.

By the way, can you please tell me how you were able to import such data with SQL because most times I try something like that, it took infinity to load it.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Rilwayne001: 10:56am On Aug 04, 2022
Hinokami:

Did you say 4million rows? Omg!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 12:20pm On Aug 04, 2022
Rilwayne001:

That's even small.

The one I'm working with has 120 million rows by 220 columns and that is just one table.

Most times we use filters (Where) or (Limit) to get the information required.

Real life databases are quite large compared to the ones used on your Udemy/Coursera tutorials.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 12:23pm On Aug 04, 2022
No matter how many videos, courses, bootcamps or certifications you've done, your best resource as an analyst is always Google/YouTube.

This is because you'll always come across challenges that'll make you question your skillset: those two tools will always come in handy to answer your questions.

Currently researching how to transpose a large dataset. Of course I know how the transpose function works but have never used it on a larger scale.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Rilwayne001: 1:39pm On Aug 04, 2022
Raalsalghul:

That's even small.

The one I'm working with has 120 million rows by 220 columns and that is just one table.

Most times we use filters (Where) or (Limit) to get the information required.

Real life databases are quite large compared to the ones used on your Udemy/Coursera tutorials.

Wow. How can one prepare oneself for these sorts of real life databases?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 2:00pm On Aug 04, 2022
Lol yeah

Rilwayne001:

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 2:03pm On Aug 04, 2022
Your concern with Pandas is effieciency and speed.

SQL server has an import tool.
The data was in a csv file so it was straightforward unless you have the bad luck of having some dirty data you have to clean before it imports correctly.

Teophilus96:

Interesting I must admit. If the issue is loading a Big data like the one you described and then obtaining a subset from the data, then I don't think I still need SQL as Pandas can do that for me.

By the way, can you please tell me how you were able to import such data with SQL because most times I try something like that, it took infinity to load it.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 04, 2022
Guys,pls can you reccommend blogs that talk about data science/analysis and ML for me as a beginner?
i want to read atleast 4 articles per day on data.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by cochtrane(m): 8:46pm On Aug 04, 2022
Raalsalghul:

What's up guys? I know it's been long since I posted here: been busy with going back to school, work and other stuff.

I remember giving the above advice the last nine months and I'll like to say that as of today, it still stands most especially from my experience working as a data analyst with an NGO while doing my MSc.

I can't emphasize it enough: learn your SQL. Again I repeat, learn your SQL if you are to switch to anything data related: whether a data analyst, scientist or engineer.

Most organizations have databases which you'll use SQL to interact with. I'm saying this because sometimes I feel there's too much emphasis on learning Python. Don't get me wrong; python is important in the world of data but it should be like number 4 on your learning list with spreadsheets and BI tools before it.

In addition to the above, I would advise you work with larger databases when practicing: the table I've been working with had about 120000 rows by 220 columns and it was just one table out of about 300 grin Quite large when you compare it to the ones used on your Udemy tutorial or YouTube or even Kaggle.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, just giving you an insider perspective. I would post more tidbits when I have the time.
I can't agree more with this, even though I'm a heavy Python user.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by semmyk(m): 7:56am On Aug 05, 2022
You may give [url]towardsdatascience.com[/url] a try. There're many.
Perhaps, [url]stackoverflow.com[/url] shouldn't be far from you as well.
IamBabsjnr:
Guys,pls can you reccommend blogs that talk about data science/analysis and ML for me as a beginner?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 05, 2022
semmyk:
You may give [url]towardsdatascience.com[/url] a try. There're many.
Perhaps, [url]stackoverflow.com[/url] shouldn't be far from you as well.
thanks for the suggestion.
i have joined kd nuggets and also r/Datascience on reddit
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lovelybobo: 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2022
IamBabsjnr:
i want to read atleast 4 articles per day on data.

Try this Microsoft Documentation. It has everything you need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/?product=popular
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by vibrant40(m): 5:33pm On Aug 05, 2022
Hi everyone,

I salute all the great programmers in the house. More knowledge to your brain.

I am new to programming, although I have the zeal since I was very young, I have always wanted to work for Etisalat grin.

I began Python some weeks ago and I think I am done with the basics. But with the many news online and as a Nigerian who want to make at least some cash for upkeep, I feel lost. I kept seeing Python as something that is not gonna bring me some cash any time soon (please don't think I am money oriented, you know there is SAPA everywhere now.)

Please sirs, what is your advice for on the path of programming I should to at least make some money by December?

And please sirs, I need a mentor please for goodness sake.

somebody should just gimme chance and lemme be his mentee pleaseeeeeee

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by avalon7(m): 8:06am On Aug 06, 2022
vibrant40:
Hi everyone,

I salute all the great programmers in the house. More knowledge to your brain.

I am new to programming, although I have the zeal since I was very young, I have always wanted to work for Etisalat grin.

I began Python some weeks ago and I think I am done with the basics. But with the many news online and as a Nigerian who want to make at least some cash for upkeep, I feel lost. I kept seeing Python as something that is not gonna bring me some cash any time soon (please don't think I am money oriented, you know there is SAPA everywhere now.)

Please sirs, what is your advice for on the path of programming I should to at least make some money by December?

And please sirs, I need a mentor please for goodness sake.

somebody should just gimme chance and lemme be his mentee pleaseeeeeee

A lot of people keep making the mistake of learning a programming language just for learning sake then try to figure out what to do with the knowledge down the road.

My guy you are still a couple months or years away from making any money with python depending on the path you choose to follow. You can choose between web development (front-end, backend or full stack ) or Data analytics, machine learning and Artificial intelligence.

I always advice people to pick a path and learn what you need. Anything data would take a long time so if you're looking to make some money perhaps as a freelancer as soon as possible you should go for front end web development and then eventually learn both front end and back end to become a full stack developer.

N/B: Most people don't hire entry level backend/fullstack developers so as a newbie I'll say learn front-end and leave python for now because you don't need it for now.

6 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by dunsin125: 3:41pm On Aug 06, 2022
Good Afternoon everyone, please I need someone who can guide me in freelancing with Data Analysis tools. I have some courses on those tools already. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 9:16am On Aug 07, 2022
Rilwayne001:

Wow. How can one prepare oneself for these sorts of real life databases?

Become a sponge by absorbing all information and knowledge that you can.

Never ever think for once that you know it all.

You can never!

Make Google and YouTube your best friend.

They are your best resources when you meet roadblocks and for research.

It's a lifelong learning process.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SimplePlan34: 10:49am On Aug 08, 2022
Gurus in the house can I use HP Mini laptop as in netbook to embark on this journey it has 2gb ram I think it's a dual core Celeron processor
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 1:28pm On Aug 08, 2022
SimplePlan34:
Gurus in the house can I use HP Mini laptop as in netbook to embark on this journey it has 2gb ram I think it's a dual core Celeron processor

With your PC specs, you might be able to run SQL, Python and Spreadsheets easily.

However, BI tools like PowerBI and Tableau might not smoothly.

My PowerBI does hang sometimes on my P.C and the RAM is 8gb.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SimplePlan34: 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2022
Raalsalghul:

With your PC specs, you might be able to run SQL, Python and Spreadsheets easily.

However, BI tools like PowerBI and Tableau might not smoothly.

My PowerBI does hang sometimes on my P.C and the RAM is 8gb.

Pls how easy is it to freelance with this stuff
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2022
SimplePlan34:

More details?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SimplePlan34: 4:45pm On Aug 08, 2022
Raalsalghul:

More details?

I mean data analysis
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by shem4soul: 8:02pm On Aug 08, 2022
Raalsalghul:

More details?

I think what he means is that how easy is it to b a freelancer data analyst like web developer?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by shem4soul: 8:02pm On Aug 08, 2022
Z
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 10:46am On Aug 09, 2022
SimplePlan34:

I wouldn't know as I don't freelance anyway.

My advice: register on a free lancing platform like Upwork and see the indemand data skills there then start honing your craft accordingly.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SimplePlan34: 2:57pm On Aug 10, 2022
Ok I just got a laptop so guys where should I start I mean what path should I follow. I daily work is not tech related so my pace would be slower.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 3:14pm On Aug 10, 2022
SimplePlan34:
Ok I just got a laptop so guys where should I start I mean what path should I follow. I daily work is not tech related so my pace would be slower.

Start with spreadsheets.

Do you have access to Internet?

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.