Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,859 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331988 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ibromodzi: 9:48am On Jun 22, 2022
Hello my data people!!

Trust you are all doing great.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 2:43pm On Jun 22, 2022
phenzy:
Data Analysis or Software Engineering? Which one would you advise my junior brother to choose? I need suggestions please.

Software Engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SOLARPOWER1(f): 10:54am On Jun 23, 2022
Inec website has only 2019 election result. No break down about the I individual results from each states and each geopolitical zone.

Which website do you know that can help me with these detail data set. Though I am currently not in Nigeria, my heart still beats and hope for a better Nigeria......I want to do some analysis and eye opening for Nigerian voters against this forth coming election. I would be grateful to receive any suggestions on this.

5 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sabbiboi: 8:13am On Jun 26, 2022
https://www.alxafrica.com/financial-analyst?gclid=CjwKCAjwh-CVBhB8EiwAjFEPGQXnKYywvxeVCE4PqSxPFS1okSS70Zm4m3Pc2Fiv4KdF_HqOAPq5VhoC4cgQAvD_BwE

Yo! You might want to be part of this Financial Analyst training, if you are lucky to be chosen.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by reader29(m): 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2022
mcemmy0z:
If you reside around songo Ota I have these available
*Udemy - Beginner to Pro in Excel Financial Modeling and Valuation
*Udemy - SQL - MySQL for Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
*Tableau 10 A-Z Hands-On Tableau Training For Data Science!
*Tableau Hands-on Learn Data Visualization with Tableau
*Udemy - Power BI A-Z Hands-On Power BI Training For Data Science
*Udemy - Machine Learning A-Z™ Hands-On Python & R In Data Science
*Udemy - Python for Financial Analysis and Algorithmic Trading
Are you still in Sango-Otta? I need some of these videos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by b4bola(m): 9:01am On Jul 02, 2022
SOLARPOWER1:
Inec website has only 2019 election result. No break down about the I individual results from each states and each geopolitical zone.

Which website do you know that can help me with these detail data set. Though I am currently not in Nigeria, my heart still beats and hope for a better Nigeria......I want to do some analysis and eye opening for Nigerian voters against this forth coming election. I would be grateful to receive any suggestions on this.

Do a random web search, don't limit your search to INEC site. I think the information is everywhere.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by demanuel(m): 6:03pm On Jul 02, 2022
sabbiboi:
https://www.alxafrica.com/financial-analyst?gclid=CjwKCAjwh-CVBhB8EiwAjFEPGQXnKYywvxeVCE4PqSxPFS1okSS70Zm4m3Pc2Fiv4KdF_HqOAPq5VhoC4cgQAvD_BwE

Yo! You might want to be part of this Financial Analyst training, if you are lucky to be chosen.
Thank you. But this will be an issue for people with jobs or programs that take their during weekdays.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by FishFisher: 4:40pm On Jul 03, 2022
wisdomremz:

quote me with your email, i will send the pdf
Boss.
Gooday ,
U fit help me send this book:
Automate the boring stuff with python(2015)
by
Al swelgart.

fisherwills@yahoo.com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Drogbotel(m): 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2022
Please are you still available? I will gladly come get it. Please reply. Thanks

mcemmy0z:
If you reside around songo Ota I have these available
*Udemy - Beginner to Pro in Excel Financial Modeling and Valuation
*Udemy - SQL - MySQL for Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
*Tableau 10 A-Z Hands-On Tableau Training For Data Science!
*Tableau Hands-on Learn Data Visualization with Tableau
*Udemy - Power BI A-Z Hands-On Power BI Training For Data Science
*Udemy - Machine Learning A-Z™ Hands-On Python & R In Data Science
*Udemy - Python for Financial Analysis and Algorithmic Trading
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by calmnquiet(m): 3:18pm On Jul 05, 2022
wisdomremz:

quote me with your email, i will send the pdf
iyogunpaul63@gmail.com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sammytee02(m): 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2022
Hello everyone. Please, does anyone have an idea about python for everybody in Coursera. Is it better to learn python from there - most especially for data analysis? Would like to know from people that have learnt python from coursera. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lovelybobo: 11:57am On Jul 07, 2022
sammytee02:
Hello everyone. Please, does anyone have an idea about python for everybody in Coursera. Is it better to learn python from there - most especially for data analysis? Would like to know from people that have learnt python from Coursera. Thanks.

Most Coursera courses are good but the challenge is you will need more than one source of material to learn anything very well. I normally recommend 4 sources on the same topic.

Dr. Severance did a fantastic job on python for everybody course and he concluded by saying that you should enroll in another beginner course to be 100% sure that you have understood all the basics that are needed.

You can get the video of the lecture from Freecodecamp YouTube Channel.
The slides and practice files can be gotten from his personal site https://www.py4e.com/
You achieve the same thing without enrolling on Coursera except you need the certificate

Shalom!!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sammytee02(m): 3:22pm On Jul 07, 2022
lovelybobo:

Most Coursera courses are good but the challenge is you will need more than one source of material to learn anything very well. I normally recommend 4 sources on the same topic.

Dr. Severance did a fantastic job on python for everybody course and he concluded by saying that you should enroll in another beginner course to be 100% sure that you have understood all the basics that are needed.

You can get the video of the lecture from Freecodecamp YouTube Channel.
The slides and practice files can be gotten from his personal site https://www.py4e.com/
You achieve the same thing without enrolling on Coursera except you need the certificate

Shalom!!!

Thank you.
Really appreciate it.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 6:45pm On Jul 14, 2022
Just dropping this guide for anyone who want this path.
70% of what you need for data analytics is SQL!
Infact pattern your SQL to postgreSQL.
The rest can be other skills.
For Data scientist you need python as you bread & tea.
Doing data visualization is NOT data analytics!!

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 5:10am On Jul 15, 2022
Ejiod:
thank you for the advice sire.pls,what do you have to say for excel and power BI?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ALFERED007: 6:12am On Jul 15, 2022
oracle training
Hey, thanks for posting here i am sharing the most popular trending online certification course that will advance your career. Learn oracle Certifiaction Training and enroll now to get!!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Mimisboygreat: 8:45am On Jul 15, 2022
Ejiod:
Pls boss, throw more lights on this. Is there any postgreSql tutorial course you can suggest?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 11:28am On Jul 15, 2022
Ejiod:

Another person has corroborated my post.

After SQL, then followed by spreadsheets. wink

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Mimisboygreat: 11:38am On Jul 15, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Another person has corroborated my post.

After SQL, then followed by spreadsheets. wink
I've asked this question before, but let me ask again. Between mysql and postgreSql, which should one should we learn first?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 11:42am On Jul 15, 2022
Mimisboygreat:
I've asked this question before, but let me ask again. Between mysql and postgreSql, which should one should we learn first?

Pick anyone and start.

Once you are familiar with it, it'd then be easy to switch depending on the requirements of the organization.

For example, I am more familiar with Excel but the folks I work with use Google Sheets so it wasn't a steep learning curve as there many similar functionalities.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Mimisboygreat: 11:56am On Jul 15, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Pick anyone and start.

Once you are familiar with it, it'd then be easy to switch depending on the requirements of the organization.

For example, I am more familiar with Excel but the folks I work with use Google Sheets so it wasn't a steep learning curve.
Thank you boss
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 1:40pm On Jul 15, 2022
IamBabsjnr:

thank you for the advice sire.pls,what do you have to say for excel and power BI?
That’s a basic skill every analyst should have.
Very basic..
Go deep on SQL
especially postgreSQL

6 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 1:49pm On Jul 15, 2022
Threw a post on Twitter yesterday on a group. Will repost here.

“””Anyone trying to scale up their SQL queries should visit Dune analytics or footprint analytics. You get tons of data to query.”””

You learn by practicing and writing scripts.
Also

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Mimisboygreat: 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2022
Ejiod:

That’s a basic skill every analyst should have.
Very basic..
Go deep on SQL
especially postgreSQL
Boss what's your reason for choosing postgreSql specifically?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by T4kbaba(m): 3:19pm On Jul 15, 2022
Ejiod:

Meanwhile, you don't know the difference between data analytics and data science. Read about them and come back.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2022
Mimisboygreat:
Boss what's your reason for choosing postgreSql specifically?
Writing complex queries. PostgreSQL support writing queries beyond MySQL.
You wanna ball with the big boys in running common table expressions and advanced window functions then you would need postgreSQL.
MySQL is good but not robust as postgreSQL.
Many companies are already on this type of DB.
All the firms I’ve worked plus the present all use PostgreSQL.
I started with MySQL but when it comes to running CTEs, Window functions PostgreSQL is the king. Even sqlserver ain’t close

8 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Mimisboygreat: 9:28pm On Jul 15, 2022
Ejiod:

Writing complex queries. PostgreSQL support writing queries beyond MySQL.
You wanna ball with the big boys in running common table expressions and advanced window functions then you would need postgreSQL.
MySQL is good but not robust as postgreSQL.
Many companies are already on this type of DB.
All the firms I’ve worked plus the present all use PostgreSQL.
I started with MySQL but when it comes to running CTEs, Window functions PostgreSQL is the king. Even sqlserver ain’t close
Noted. Thank you bro.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Fredfr33zy(m): 4:00pm On Jul 16, 2022
Visa2022:
@Ejiod and other gurus in the house.
Please I need your advise...

I don't have a computer science/statistics/Mathematics background at undergraduate level.

I studied Accounting and Finance(2:1) and also a chartered certified Accountant(ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CGMA).

I have a very strong passion for data science which is driving me crazy, this made me apply for an MSc in Data Science and Analytics.

I just secured an admission(MSc) in Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK (commencing Jan 2022).

But now I'm beginning to develop cold feet as to whether I can do it considering the fact I have I have no prior computer or programming knowledge and I'm getting a tad worried.

What do you advise?
Can I study it at MSc level without prior computer/programming/mathematics knowledge at undergraduate level?? (Though, if there's something I know about myself, its the fact that I'm smart, and can learn).

Please I need your input/insight on this.

PS:
Pardon me if this issue has been addressed before, I just stumbled on this thread tonight, and I've followed through to page8, and didn't come across such.

Bro, how did it go. Did you finally go for the course? I am looking at the same thing, though I have little knowledge of computers.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 7:12pm On Jul 16, 2022
Visa2022:
@Ejiod and other gurus in the house.
Please I need your advise...

I don't have a computer science/statistics/Mathematics background at undergraduate level.

I studied Accounting and Finance(2:1) and also a chartered certified Accountant(ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CGMA).

I have a very strong passion for data science which is driving me crazy, this made me apply for an MSc in Data Science and Analytics.

I just secured an admission(MSc) in Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK (commencing Jan 2022).

But now I'm beginning to develop cold feet as to whether I can do it considering the fact I have I have no prior computer or programming knowledge and I'm getting a tad worried.

What do you advise?
Can I study it at MSc level without prior computer/programming/mathematics knowledge at undergraduate level?? (Though, if there's something I know about myself, its the fact that I'm smart, and can learn).

Please I need your input/insight on this.

PS:
Pardon me if this issue has been addressed before, I just stumbled on this thread tonight, and I've followed through to page8, and didn't come across such.
Must have skipped this… my bad.
My advice is you pursue MBA..
it’s way higher and gives you more edge
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KlausMichaelson: 9:47am On Jul 17, 2022
Good day guys. Please I need advice.

I currently work as a Data Analyst. I was meant to know that I have to work closely with the Business intelligence officer in the organization after I got the job. Aside the fact that I do the normal daily and weekly analysis of the organization data, this Business intelligence officer always gives me a research work to do (and tells me it's part of the job of a data analyst) . Meanwhile, there is nothing analysis about the research work.

NB: JOB DESCRIPTION was not given before getting the job.
I told the HR, he said I need to assist her with her research when the need arise. But I noticed she always gives research work that is too much (I don't even like it) and makes it look as though my normal analysis is not much of a work for anyone (infact she believes I don't do anything at all). I personally like doing my data analysis job fast, automated and efficient so I could have time to involve myself with online courses I have Registered since I barely have time for them at home. And this online courses are there to make me better at what I do. One time she saw me going through a course she spoke in her native language thinking I didn't understand. She said "this guy no get work".

This is really making me have a thought of quitting this job especially when my line manager clearly told me that I am not helping her at all. This Business Intelligence officer is very rude to start with. I feel she is doing all this to frustrate me and possibly take my position as both the Business intelligence officer and data analyst.

House, if you are in my shoes, what will you do. I need honest answers. Thanks.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 5:36pm On Jul 17, 2022
KlausMichaelson:

I currently work as a Data Analyst. I was meant to know that I have to work closely with the Business intelligence officer in the organization after I got the job. Aside the fact that I do the normal daily and weekly analysis of the organization data, this Business intelligence officer always gives me a research work to do (and tells me it's part of the job of a data analyst) . Meanwhile, there is nothing analysis about the research work.

NB: JOB DESCRIPTION was not given before getting the job.
I told the HR, he said I need to assist her with her research when the need arise. But I noticed she always gives research work that is too much (I don't even like it) and makes it look as though my normal analysis is not much of a work for anyone (infact she believes I don't do anything at all). I personally like doing my data analysis job fast, automated and efficient so I could have time to involve myself with online courses I have Registered since I barely have time for them at home. And this online courses are there to make me better at what I do. One time she saw me going through a course she spoke in her native language thinking I didn't understand. She said "this guy no get work".

This is really making me have a thought of quitting this job especially when my line manager clearly told me that I am not helping her at all. This Business Intelligence officer is very rude to start with. I feel she is doing all this to frustrate me and possibly take my position as both the Business intelligence officer and data analyst.

House, if you are in my shoes, what will you do. I need honest answers. Thanks.

Same situation here although it isnt my boss complaining, but colleagues who think I came to take over part of their jobs.

Age is also a factor as no one fancies a younger person sitting in the office while they are out in the field giving them instructions. so they make my work difficult.
Also beware of imposter syndrome and fear of being sacked...everyday i feel my job is too easy as i quickly round up my tasks before noon aside adhoc requests. I keep myself busy by upskilling and improving my portfolio. Don't make the mistake of being too comfortable with where you are.

My advise, put on a show, make them see that your job is actually difficult, don't be naive to impress them by working fast all the time. Probably why they push extra tasks to you.

You cant avoid the research work she gives you, I would even be happy to take on it because it is another skill to put on your resume.

Always see the positive side okay..

You are already upskilling so that is all.

8 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaycee54321(m): 7:37pm On Jul 17, 2022
KlausMichaelson:

cheesy

I can relate.

The fact that you do your job and have time to spare means that you've efficiently developed a system that works for you...

Don't even let naysayers get into your head...

If e easy, make them run am.

If you spend 30 mins to do a job, the company is paying you for the several months you used in learning how to deliver in 30 mins...and not the 30 mins you spent on the job.

Also, try & learn to play the game of office politics.
The data sphere is not really hardcore tech because you'd deal with a lot of personnel who you rely on for data...unlike in software engineering where it's you, your God and your code.

In my place of work, we use Google sheets as online data collation tool...sometimes, I lock the entire thing...so when you wanna make an input, you'll call my attention to it...and I unlock for you... afterall, na me build am.

Random acts like that really reduced the rate at which some never-do-wells left their own job to come and be checking what I do with my time...

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.