Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331295 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Bawsse(m): 7:44am On Apr 10, 2020
can someone please advise me on where to download the ms excel online without any hassle?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 11:42am On Apr 10, 2020
Ejiod:

Awesome but modify the coloring
Sir pls I sent you a p mail I need ur help

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by damtan(m): 11:47am On Apr 10, 2020
Hello pros in the house. I have a quick question.
For about 3 weeks now, I've been getting familiar with data science and analysis using python and tableau.
over the week, I've gotten really comfortable with python basic programming and done lots of simple projects online while simultaneously learning tableau and PowerBi also.
I am now in the data analysis part of python using pandas, numpy, seaborn and matplotlib but it's seeming a little difficult.
I've also gotten very comfortable with tableau for data analysis and I'm thinking of mastering Tableau and PowerBi for like a month while I leave python pending.
I'll come back to python though after I must have mastered tableau and PowerBi.
What do you guys suggest please??

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by yasolan(m): 12:24pm On Apr 10, 2020
Bawsse:
can someone please advise me on where to download the ms excel online without any hassle?
You'll need to download the whole Microsoft office package. Go to msguides .com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by yasolan(m): 12:25pm On Apr 10, 2020
Hi guys, aspiring Data Scientist here.
Meanwhile I can help with your PC needs and solutions.
Click on my topics or click on my signature
Thank you
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by GeeConn(m): 3:03pm On Apr 10, 2020
Bibitayo2:
Sent

Good afternoon, Pls can u send me the e-book? geedon2012@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by RealTrump: 6:11pm On Apr 10, 2020
I beg o, I have a question.
How can I group countries by continents? Mind you, I created the excel file myself and I used sublime to convert the csv file to unicode-8. My suspicion is that my code is right but my formatting is wrong.

However, when I run a groupby code: covid.groupby('continent').TotalCases()
it generates a KeyError: 'continent'

I think it is the way I formatted my file. I wanted to ask the gurus how they did it.

Update
I previously asked about how to generate a barplot. I got some inputs but I had to find the solution myself. This tiny graph here...it is automated. No cutting of corners-which is the whole essence of coding. I took me 4 days to plot this, it is tiny but I am proud of my achievement. Next is plotting a stacked histogram based on continents. Tablue and powerBi, I am coming to humble the both of you. I will must learn this data science thing by force.

plot of covid cases from countries with more than 15k cases.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mcemmy0z: 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2020
RealTrump:
I beg o, I have a question.
How can I group countries by continents? Mind you, I created the excel file myself and I used sublime to convert the csv file to unicode-8. My suspicion is that my code is right but my formatting is wrong.

However, when I run a groupby code: covid.groupby('continent').TotalCases()
it generates a KeyError: 'continent'

The result you posted shows that the error is not from the code, but from the continent, try changing the continent to "Continent" capital letter C.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by RealTrump: 7:05pm On Apr 10, 2020
mcemmy0z:

The result you posted shows that the error is not from the code, but from the continent, try changing the continent to "Continent" capital letter C.

Baba, I kuku change am o. The thing be like winch.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KunSegzy100(m): 10:54am On Apr 11, 2020
Ejiod:

Awesome but modify the coloring
Experts in the house please help see to this issue, I just pip installer Numpy, Pandas and jupyter so as to start learning using Pandas for analysis, I opened a new folder stores the file to be processed, navigated to the folder through the CMD prompt and launched jupyter from there. But to my surprise I was not able to import the file until I went on YouTube and saw a video where he added (encoding, "Latin" nrows=(number of rows) I tried it and it worked but I don't understand jack about what I did and why I had to add the encoding in order for the file to be imported on jupyter notebook.

Secondly have been going through some Pandas videos online and 80% of the analysis have seen can be done using excel it Dax function in PowerBI, can someone highlight the important and unique things used during preparing a file for analysis in platforms like PowerBI.

Also, I have been seeing videos where they use Pandas for analysis where they extract useful information from a file for example determining countries with over 5000cases of Corona virus from a dataframe, after getting this separate info, how can this information be stored separately?

Also I'd like to know for those using matplotlib, after getting the visuals what next? Do they export the graph? Generally I just want to know how they gather findings together in Pandas for purpose of reuse or continuation of analysis in other platforms.

Pardon my questions I am inquisitive by nature at things I don't know. God bless you for answering

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 11:29am On Apr 11, 2020
KunSegzy100:

Experts in the house please help see to this issue, I just pip installer Numpy, Pandas and jupyter so as to start learning using Pandas for analysis, I opened a new folder stores the file to be processed, navigated to the folder through the CMD prompt and launched jupyter from there. But to my surprise I was not able to import the file until I went on YouTube and saw a video where he added (encoding, "Latin" nrows=(number of rows) I tried it and it worked but I don't understand jack about what I did and why I had to add the encoding in order for the file to be imported on jupyter notebook.
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.read_csv.html
read for more infor
u can also use # df1 = pd.read_csv('train.csv', engine='python') it will fix de problem

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 11:35am On Apr 11, 2020
KunSegzy100:

Secondly have been going through some Pandas videos online and 80% of the analysis have seen can be done using excel it Dax function in PowerBI, can someone highlight the important and unique things used during preparing a file for analysis in platforms like PowerBI.

Also, I have been seeing videos where they use Pandas for analysis where they extract useful information from a file for example determining countries with over 5000cases of Corona virus from a dataframe, after getting this separate info, how can this information be stored separately?

Also I'd like to know for those using matplotlib, after getting the visuals what next? Do they export the graph? Generally I just want to know how they gather findings together in Pandas for purpose of reuse or continuation of analysis in other platforms.

Pardon my questions I am inquisitive by nature at things I don't know. God bless you for answering
Most time it’s advisable to point your pandas to the directory so it reads it not via the cmd. Press Tab + I to see the documentation of the read_csv

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by gargoylern: 12:01pm On Apr 11, 2020
KunSegzy100:

different files have different encodings, due to the way they are prepared. The encoding for that file apparently is not the default in pd.read_csv. Sometimes you have to guess the encoding, sometimes they tell you so you know. You shouldn't be too worried about encoding at this stage.

You store it in another dataframe. You can create as many dataframes as you want as you go along. As a beginner, this may not be a problem. But as you advance, you'll realize the importance of saving memory or managing memory, so you'll be able to work better with dataframes.

Yes, you export the plot. After importing Matplotlib.pyplot as plt, you can use plt.savefig() can save your plots and export them as pictures to other platforms.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 12:32pm On Apr 11, 2020
Ejiod:

sir @ Ejiod I have been following this trend since last year,
am inspired by your work and what you are doing in this trend
am a data scientist and also analyst, but am finding it hard to get a job, am an undergraduate @ UNN. Most companies I have applied for said that u have to be working there full time and are not remote.
I need your advice on what to do.
If one have a skill and is not using it to make money its discouraging.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 1:11pm On Apr 11, 2020
Evanspaul:

sir @ Ejiod I have been following this trend since last year,
am inspired by your work and what you are doing in this trend
am a data scientist and also analyst, but am finding it hard to get a job, am an undergraduate @ UNN. Most companies I have applied for said that u have to be working there full time and are not remote.
I need your advice on what to do.
If one have a skill and is not using it to make money its discouraging.
I understand your point.
Dear now you understand the in and out of data science. My advice is for you to complete your program 1st. Add web development skills to it. Try learning JavaScript,HTML or CSS. Use the web development skills and apply too. Most firms wants full time not part time or remote. It’s only startups that would give you a remote option.

Lastly apply to upwork.

6 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KunSegzy100(m): 1:27pm On Apr 11, 2020
Ejiod:

Most time it’s advisable to point your pandas to the directory so it reads it not via the cmd. Press Tab + I to see the documentation of the read_csv
Thanks boss I knew I would get answers here
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Chukwudaalu(m): 2:33pm On Apr 11, 2020
I've been learning a lot. Kudos to all contributors.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by OgogoroDegree: 3:38pm On Apr 11, 2020
I'm really happy with the flow of this thread but the painful part is that I can't contribute to any task here cuz I'm still learning my excel to become a Pro (even doe I have prior knowledge), so make una no vex 4 me grin
All this una code and data just dey give me sleep anytime I see am grin but I know I'm getting there.
OR
Is it advisable to learn excel little n jump to Python

Regards!

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 4:02pm On Apr 11, 2020
Ejiod:

I understand your point.
Dear now you understand the in and out of data science. My advice is for you to complete your program 1st. Add web development skills to it. Try learning JavaScript,HTML or CSS. Use the web development skills and apply too. Most firms wants full time not part time or remote. It’s only startups that would give you a remote option.

Lastly apply to upwork.

thanks for the advice sir
i have a rusty knowledge of web development, its from web that i switched to data science

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Pstarogood0100: 5:27pm On Apr 11, 2020
Am interested please teach me

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KunSegzy100(m): 7:34pm On Apr 11, 2020
gargoylern:

different files have different encodings, due to the way they are prepared. The encoding for that file apparently is not the default in pd.read_csv. Sometimes you have to guess the encoding, sometimes they tell you so you know. You shouldn't be too worried about encoding at this stage.
Thanks very much bro

You store it in another dataframe. You can create as many dataframes as you want as you go along. As a beginner, this may not be a problem. But as you advance, you'll realize the importance of saving memory or managing memory, so you'll be able to work better with dataframes.

Yes, you export the plot. After importing Matplotlib.pyplot as plt, you can use plt.savefig() can save your plots and export them as pictures to other platforms.

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KunSegzy100(m): 7:38pm On Apr 11, 2020
gargoylern:

thanks bro I appreciate
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KunSegzy100(m): 7:42pm On Apr 11, 2020
KunSegzy100:

Thanks boss I knew I would get answers here
Please my people, can anyone refer me to a very detailed and concise video on YouTube for learning Pandas.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Reality11: 9:57pm On Apr 11, 2020
Ejiod

Kudos to you.

Am very interested in data science, Can you give me an outline on how or where to start from? So that I can look/search for materials and start learning and I'll appreciate if you recommend videos, websites...
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 6:37am On Apr 12, 2020
How many of you guys missed Bucky Roberts. The newboston dude? To me he’s the greatest tutor on programming languages

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by javaRookie: 7:31am On Apr 12, 2020
Ejiod:
How many of you guys missed Bucky Roberts. The newboston dude? To me he’s the greatest tutor on programming languages
I learnt java from that guy! What in the world happened to him? He actually gave me the beginners steps in programming. Although he is a little bit playful, once I grabbed the basic concepts which he thought I upgraded to a more technical YouTube channel.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 12:00pm On Apr 12, 2020
Ejiod:
A programmer that doesnt know bucky haven't started programming. the guy has tutorial on every course.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
Ejiod:
once read that he got a full time job

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 3:24pm On Apr 12, 2020
Evanspaul:

A programmer that doesnt know bucky haven't started programming. the guy has tutorial on every course.
The guy is damn too good.
He’s a director @ LH Ventures.
I’m sure he had to give up his YouTube channel.
The dude made JavaScript look simple back then.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 4:23pm On Apr 12, 2020
javaRookie:

I learnt java from that guy! What in the world happened to him? He actually gave me the beginners steps in programming. Although he is a little bit playful, once I grabbed the basic concepts which he thought I upgraded to a more technical YouTube channel.
He’s a big dude now...

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2020
For enthusiasts and newbies on data science.
Rapid Miner is a fast tool for analysis. You can download a free trial or use the web app for fast explorative and fast ML.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Toppytek(m): 5:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
@ejiod and others here, have you ever considered working remotely for foreign based companies? Though am a baby data scientist but am looking forward to working remotely with those kind of companies for I believe their pay is good compared to what one might be getting here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.