Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,585 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad (2866 Views)

Kindly Share Your Late Night Driving Experience Here / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by lemon10(m): 10:12am On Oct 22, 2019
It's not all bed of roses studying overseas for Africans, especially Nigerians. We face different forms of racism in one way or the other. Nigerian students studying overseas lets please feel free to share the various forms of racism we have faced.

I am based in China and on so many occasions, some Chinese would rather prefer to stand than to sit next to an African on a public bus. The most annoying thing is that they worship Europeans and Americans.

6 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by dominique(f): 10:55am On Oct 22, 2019
When we don't respect ourselves, how will other races respect us?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by lemon10(m): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2019
dominique:

Buts its not a reason

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by davide470(m): 11:55am On Oct 22, 2019
I have travelled to some European countries and i don't think i have experienced any form of racism. Sometimes, i forget i am black.

Most times, what matters is the way you dress, speak and "not being a busy-body".

Tip: Always learn the basic greetings of a country whenever you are going to the country and let it be the first word from your mouth when speaking to a foreigner. English is an international language does not mean everyone wants to be greeted in English.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 12:07pm On Oct 22, 2019
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Jamestown123: 8:48am On Oct 23, 2019
lemon10:
It's not all bed of roses studying overseas for Africans, especially Nigerians. We face different forms of racism in one way or the other. Nigerian students studying overseas lets please feel free to share the various forms of racism we have faced.

I am based in China and on so many occasions, some Chinese would rather prefer to stand than to sit next to an African on a public bus. The most annoying thing is that they worship Europeans and Americans.
If they refused to sit close to u my brother sleep on the chair. I don't know what is racism. My life simple gon.

12 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by DexterousOne(m): 10:01am On Oct 23, 2019
dominique:

Thank you very much

3 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by andrew444(m): 10:42am On Oct 23, 2019
lemon10:

I dont think you should be really bothered by this thou, just live your life my broda okay

I have live in malaysia and egypt and i must say i havent face any form of racism , maybe its because i dont care

5 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Dechymmytv(f): 11:00am On Oct 25, 2019
dominique:
how do you mean? , most racism are born out of shear ignorance....
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 2:22pm On Oct 25, 2019
UK
Overt? Some guy shouted at my mum and I to go back to Africa from his car when she was driving due to road rage, this was years ago, I think we both burst out laughing sef

Covert/systematic? (since I schooled there and also work) It may of well happened but none that I’m actually aware of

Rest of Europe (depends where to be honest)
Stares sometimes, can’t say it’s necessarily racism though, not saying it isn’t either, I just don’t know (as per my experience, not saying it doesn’t happen)

US
None that I’m aware of

Asia
Mostly stares, wouldn’t necessarily call it (my experience) racism though, mostly curiosity and/or ignorance. I say my experience because I know some are racist and many people have had negative experiences

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Suspectzero(m): 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2019
dominique:

This is the truth. Our countries are unadulterated shitholes which is why we run to foreign lands to begin with. How do you expect to be truly respected as a people? Racism is bad and its unfair on an individual level but if you understand humans then you would understand why the black man is looked down upon by every other race. Our civilization is embarrassing. And it's anything but civilized.

You always have to prove yourself as a black person abroad because your fellow black people home and abroad have tarnished your reputation to bits. It's the same way we all look down on the abokis and Hausas here in the Southwest. Everyone's reputation precedes them. You are no different.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2019
davide470:
I have travelled to some European countries and i don't think i have experienced any form of racism. Sometimes, i forget i am black.

Most times, what matters is the way you dress, speak and "not being a busy-body".

Tip: Always learn the basic greetings of a country whenever you are going to the country and let it be the first word from your mouth when speaking to a foreigner. English is an international language does not mean everyone wants to be greeted in English.

Try actually living there, not just travelling

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 25, 2019
Germany

My first time experiencing racism was at the age of 11. I got called a gorilla by one of my school mates.
Ever since then, there've been few encounters with racists. I don't really remember them all to be honest because I developed a thick skin over the years, but I do remember this homeless man calling my family and I (mum, dad and brothers) niggers. Maybe it's due to the fact that I wasn't the only one being attacked, fact is I just can't forget that incident. As in, of course I knew my parents would be experiencing racism at their workplaces as well, but seeing it happen, in front of me....

Oh and of course a lot of microaggresions. The assumptions and ignorance regarding "Africa" is just .... tiring

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 5:05pm On Oct 25, 2019
fieryy:
Germany

My first time experiencing racism was at the age of 11. I got called a gorilla by one of my school mates.
Ever since then, there've been few encounters with racists. I don't really remember them all to be honest because I developed a thick skin over the years, but I do remember this homeless man calling my family and I (mum, dad and brothers) niggers. Maybe it's due to the fact that I wasn't the only one being attacked, fact is I just can't forget that incident. As in, of course I knew my parents would be experiencing racism at their workplaces as well, but seeing it happen, in front of me....

Oh and of course a lot of microaggresions. The assumptions and ignorance regarding "Africa" is just .... tiring
You just reminded me of an incident in secondary school actually. I was going to Nigeria and it came up in a discussion with one white girl and she asked me where I was going to sleep

7 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 5:35pm On Oct 25, 2019
ibkayee:

You just reminded me of an incident in secondary school actually. I was going to Nigeria and it came up in a discussion with one white girl and she asked me where I was going to sleep

Awwgh fvck ahhh come on...se...serriousssly. im beginning to wonder about where i sleep now sef lol

4 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2019
ibkayee:

Lol! Apparently the reason I can run fast is because in "Africa", I used to run with lions grin

10 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2019
fieryy:

Maybe its cos you were so young in a strangeland.
If you were still in Nigeria by now, you'll have developed an ethereal skin such that even when you hear gorilla you'll be looking around excitedly for an escaped bipedal mammal.

Was this in the less developed eastern states?
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 5:44pm On Oct 25, 2019
fieryy:

Lol! Apparently the reason I can run fast is because in "Africa", I used to run with lions grin

Good God...and movies like Tarzan are not helping atall
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2019
Thegamingorca:

If you were still in Nigeria by now, you'll have developed an ethereal skin such that even when you hear gorilla you'll be looking around excitedly for an escaped bipedal mammal.

Funny enough, I've noticed those who grew up in Nigeria happen to be the ones who whine about racism the most.

Nope, it happened in Rheinland Pfalz

4 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by davide470(m): 7:03pm On Oct 25, 2019
fieryy:

I actually do.

Not saying it doesnt exist, but i haven't experienced any blatant expression of racism.

I don't see "stares" as racist though because i have stared before smiley
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by printemps: 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2019
lemon10:

Here, for Yankee, anytime I waka enter restaurants, Parking lot, stores, Gas Station, etc , una go just dey wonder wetin dey pursue light skin people - by light skin I mean people wey no be black or wey no get black blood flowing in them. The thing wey come funny pass na their men dey run pass their women, either drive quickly or hold their women and kids and waka paapaa like sey dem see demon. grin Una go just dey amaze at their Paranoia.
As a black man I don learn to accept my lot in life for this obodo America. Una better understand why e be sey na black people dey die pass for their police hand. The thing wey black people dey experience here mouth no fit relate am finish. cool

6 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by lemon10(m): 12:51am On Oct 26, 2019
printemps:

Here, for Yankee, anytime I waka enter restaurants, Parking lot, stores, Gas Station, etc , una go just dey wonder wetin dey pursue light skin people - by light skin I mean people wey no be black or wey no get black blood flowing in them. The thing wey come funny pass na their men dey run pass their women, either drive quickly or hold their women and kids and waka paapaa like sey dem see demon. grin Una go just dey amaze at their Paranoia.
As a black man I don learn to accept my lot in life for this obodo America. Una better understand why e be sey na black people dey die pass for their police hand. The thing wey black people dey experience here mouth no fit relate am finish. cool
I agree with you bro. Those that haven’t been here will not understand how it feels. Most times the level of injustice is so high.
I once accompanied an ill friend to a hospital. When it was our turn to see the doctor, immediately we entered the doctor’s office and sat down, to my greatest surprise, the doctor sprayed disinfectants in her office, on her body and also on our own body. As if that was not enough, after attending to us, we were not allowed to sit where others sat. Instead, they asked us to go into a separate room , and they locked the door. That day we both felt so bad.
The point is this, the way this guys treat you can also make you to become a racist, because you will also hate them....... Though there are good once among them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by salford1: 2:01am On Oct 26, 2019
Racism can often be hard to understand or pinpoint by someone that has never experienced it before, especially the subtle ones.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by alphaNomega: 7:07am On Oct 26, 2019
Thegamingorca:

Good God...and movies like Tarzan are not helping atall

They used a white male for the character because these generation of sensitive black bitchès would scream "RACISM" if Tarzan was black.

fieryy:

Funny enough, I've noticed those who grew up in Nigeria happen to be the ones who whine about racism the most.

Nope, it happened in Rheinland Pfalz

Blacks are the most racist/bigoted people on earth.
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ednut1(m): 7:14am On Oct 26, 2019
Before you went there you were aware of racism there. So why complain. Even in SA there is xenophobia. You enter kitchen you dey complain of heat. In my 3 years stay in uk . I did not experience any as i can't be bothered to class racist behaviours as racist

3 Likes

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2019
fieryy:

Lool!
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by ibkayee(f): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2019
Thegamingorca:

This guyyyy, mtchewww lmao
Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2019
ibkayee:

This guyyyy, mtchewww lmao

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 1:12pm On Oct 26, 2019
alphaNomega:

They used a white male for the character because these generation of sensitive black bitchès would scream "RACISM" if Tarzan was black.

Blacks are the most racist/bigoted people on earth.

No Tarzan is meant to be white from the story

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by SamReinvented: 4:44pm On Oct 26, 2019
On a vacation to San Sebastián in Spain, myself and some Indian and Latino friends went to this restaurant and we were told that they have closed.

We carried ourselves to a different restaurant and about an hour later on our way back, the first restaurant was still very open serving guests.

Then it dawned on us. We’ve just become the latest victims of racism. It was my very first time... it didn’t feel good. I can imagine what it’d feel like to be faced with that 2 or 3 times in a month.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Beautyaddy: 5:15pm On Oct 26, 2019
lemon10:

huh...I keeping reading this and heard it too...so my curiosity is that what race of the Europeans and Americans do these Chinese worship?

Because we all know that there are black Americans and black Europeans.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Share Any Form Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2019
Beautyaddy:

huh...I keeping reading this and heard it too...so my curiosity is that what race of the Europeans and Americans do these Chinese worship?

Because we all know that there are black Americans and black Europeans.

Dey worship anything American. If you are black and say you are a black American dey will also want to associate wirh you.

Woe betide you if you tell them you are from Africa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want to Travel to Jigawa State, Nigeria / Us Embassy Abuja And Us Embassy Lagos Which Is Better? / Pls Tell Me The Transport Fare Of Ilorin To Minna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.