Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer? (13864 Views)

Al-hikmah University Lecturer Orders 300 Level Law Students To Kneel Down / Lecturer Caught In A Hotel With His Student In Cross River State (photos/video) / Salihu Dasuki Is Youngest Senior Lecturer At Sheffield Hallam University UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer? by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 23, 2019
Firstly, I must say " thank you!" For asking this question. Please ,kindly disregard any advice that you can not do anything to put this lecturer in his place if truly what you stated is the truth.

One of the reasons why we go to school is not to read outdated text books and listen to theories that can not be applied to our daily lives but we are here to equally learn how to handle life issues like this . We can not go to the university and not learn how to think critically , analyze situations and find the best solutions to problems without causing harm !

We have procedures for everything in the university settings and only if you know your right that you can benefit from that system

So what am I saying ? Firstly , you must be very sure that before you follow this step that you are an A student without questions any day any time .

If you are sure of that and you are confident of what you wrote in your exams but the results stated otherwise, match yourself to the HOD's office and ask for a re-mark . You will be asked to pay a certain peanut and it now becomes a serious issue as it would take a departmental panel of about 5 lecturers to sit down and remark your script together ! ( I stand to be corrected on the number of lecturers as it differs according to schools and departments)

If you made your A , you will get your A with explanations or apology but if truly you deserved the score you got, my dear, be ready for an unforeseen battle with your lecturers as they will keenly mark your name and might possibly fail you in subsequent courses if you ain't sure of yourself academically .

I've gone down this road before as a young girl and I almost shook down the department . The level of my confidence made lecturers and students to assume so many things about me . Some students even went that far to say that i had a senator as a god-father ����.

I was initially discouraged to not follow up as that could be detrimental but I couldn't let it go cause I knew my strengths and weaknesses. A course I've had A for 3 academic sessions straight and not just an A but an A with a score of 86 and above .

I went on to request for a re-Mark and it happened that I scored 94-A instead of 64-B .

I was pissed and I calmly expressed my anger and even cried before my lecturers. They came up with an explanation just to cover up the lecturer and since that day even courses that I score B were now A's and almost all lecturers became my friend because I was the first to follow through with it and when asked " are you sure you know what you wrote? I answered " Sir I can confidently re-sit for this paper and I would still get my A!"

It was my best course for Christ sake ! Fight for your right calmly and logically , I mean isn't that why there is a huge difference between those who went to school and those who didn't ? I can not be a coward or be subjected to that treatment when I know my onions.

I was ready to write to the Dean if the HOD messed up or write to the VC if the Dean does not meet up as well and I was equally ready to go to the VC's office myself ... He is a human and whatever it takes I will see him and state my problems !!!

Your confidence level determines how far you go in life ... We all need it !

Good luck!!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer? by BlueRayDick: 6:54am On Oct 23, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

Hmmmmmmm, some can be more mean bro.
I wrote a test and assignments, he takes two courses, I scored different cumulative scores in both with one very high and the other average, while recording, he recorded same score for me for both which was low, i wasnt the least on script scores but I was in his recordings, I requested for a justification, he said I'm challenging his authority.

You mean you wrote a CA test, he returned ur scripts to u and u scored high only for the full semester results to be out and u saw a lower score in the CA part of the result sheet?

If this is the case , u can take ur CA scripts with I and show him evidence that he scored u high earlier and ask for the reason why the score was reduced in the official result released. However, if what u’ve said is based on assumptions and hearsay ; I will tell u it is very unwise to challenge the lecturer o.

As regards calling for remarking of exam scripts, I won’t recommend it to my enemy. Most public university lecturers in Nigeria are very vindictive. They believe the mere fact you called for a remark means you called their integrity to question among their fellow lecturers and they will surely get back at you. Except you are in finals and that course is instrumental in determining your final grade, don’t go for a remarking of script.

If you call for ur script and it is remarked, whatever the outcome is most lecturers will set out to frustrate you afterwards. If you are unfortunate to get such lecturer as project supervisor in your finals, just know you won’t graduate with your set. You may not progress past chapter 2 of ur project by the end of the session. Yes, these lecturers are that vindictive. I’ve seen this happen live before

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:09am On Oct 23, 2019
BlueRayDick:

You mean you wrote a CA test, he returned ur scripts to u and u scored high only for the full semester results to be out and u saw a lower score in the CA part of the result sheet?

If this is the case , u can take ur CA scripts with I and show him evidence that he scored u high earlier and ask for the reason why the score was reduced in the official result released. However, if what u’ve said is based on assumptions and hearsay ; I will tell u it is very unwise to challenge the lecturer o.

As regards calling for remarking of exam scripts, I won’t recommend it to my enemy. Most public university lecturers in Nigeria are very vindictive. They believe the mere fact you called for a remark means you called their integrity to question among their fellow lecturers and they will surely get back at you. Except you are in finals and that course is instrumental in determining your final grade, don’t go for a remarking of script.

If you call for ur script and it is remarked, whatever the outcome is most lecturers will set out to frustrate you afterwards. If you are unfortunate to get such lecturer as project supervisor in your finals, just know you won’t graduate with your set. You may not progress past chapter 2 of ur project by the end of the session. Yes, these lecturers are that vindictive. I’ve seen this happen live before
Yes, he gave me the scripts and also showed us the recorded CA scores, and it was deliberate not an error. I would not want to go into details subsequent events, but it wasn't funny.
Re: How Do I Deal With A Biased Lecturer? by Resivim: 7:28am On Oct 23, 2019
Classyuniquebae:
Firstly, I must say " thank you!" For asking this question. Please ,kindly disregard any advice that you can not do anything to put this lecturer in his place if truly what you stated is the truth.

One of the reasons why we go to school is not to read outdated text books and listen to theories that can not be applied to our daily lives but we are here to equally learn how to handle life issues like this . We can not go to the university and not learn how to think critically , analyze situations and find the best solutions to problems without causing harm !

We have procedures for everything in the university settings and only if you know your right that you can benefit from that system

So what am I saying ? Firstly , you must be very sure that before you follow this step that you are an A student without questions any day any time .

If you are sure of that and you are confident of what you wrote in your exams but the results stated otherwise, match yourself to the HOD's office and ask for a re-mark . You will be asked to pay a certain peanut and it now becomes a serious issue as it would take a departmental panel of about 5 lecturers to sit down and remark your script together ! ( I stand to be corrected on the number of lecturers as it differs according to schools and departments)

If you made your A , you will get your A with explanations or apology but if truly you deserved the score you got, my dear, be ready for an unforeseen battle with your lecturers as they will keenly mark your name and might possibly fail you in subsequent courses if you ain't sure of yourself academically .

I've gone down this road before as a young girl and I almost shook down the department . The level of my confidence made lecturers and students to assume so many things about me . Some students even went that far to say that i had a senator as a god-father ����.

I was initially discouraged to not follow up as that could be detrimental but I couldn't let it go cause I knew my strengths and weaknesses. A course I've had A for 3 academic sessions straight and not just an A but an A with a score of 86 and above .

I went on to request for a re-Mark and it happened that I scored 94-A instead of 64-B .

I was pissed and I calmly expressed my anger and even cried before my lecturers. They came up with an explanation just to cover up the lecturer and since that day even courses that I score B were now A's and almost all lecturers became my friend because I was the first to follow through with it and when asked " are you sure you know what you wrote? I answered " Sir I can confidently re-sit for this paper and I would still get my A!"

It was my best course for Christ sake ! Fight for your right calmly and logically , I mean isn't that why there is a huge difference between those who went to school and those who didn't ? I can not be a coward or be subjected to that treatment when I know my onions.

I was ready to write to the Dean if the HOD messed up or write to the VC if the Dean does not meet up as well and I was equally ready to go to the VC's office myself ... He is a human and whatever it takes I will see him and state my problems !!!

Your confidence level determines how far you go in life ... We all need it !

Good luck!!!!
Alright, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions / , / Uniabuja Part-time Form And Diploma Form Still On Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.