Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,585 members, 7,955,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:06 PM

Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions (49708 Views)

Peter Obi, Others Lose Abuja Lands, As Wike Revokes 167 Plots / Assembly Election 2023: Osun Speaker, Others Lose As PDP Wins 25 Seats / Abaribe, Others Lose N300m Bail Bond As FG Rearrests Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by heysquare(m): 6:31pm On Oct 30, 2019
[quote author=niyisky post=83592113]You people will just sit in a corner and fabricate lies, just to discredit the government. Hate! I guess...98 firms without names, industry sectors etc...is easy to just relocate a business like that?

Haters, I hail una![/quote
Don't mind them. They relocated with only tables and chairs. Yeye people
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by tfelicityk(m): 6:40pm On Oct 30, 2019
Where are the list of the 98 firms...?
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Area4Area: 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2019
The companies and firms have no name?
Smugglers and foreigners would continue to cry till they behave
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by ZombieTERROR: 6:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
Jimi24:

Chevron is leaving Nigeria because of border closure?. That is what they told you?. I am weeping for you

The fool said nobody was leaving because of Buhari mediocrity...
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by kmaster007: 6:52pm On Oct 30, 2019
b3llo:
Nigeria must be great again. Border closure will help our local manufacturing industry and farmers will have where to sell their products conveniently.
I tell you... am in support of the closure...
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Afamed: 6:55pm On Oct 30, 2019
voltron14:

Why did you run away from the thread where I proved Jonathan disbursed 100 billion Naira to herdsmen?
Ignore that lad. He most times has not ideas of what he argues about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Afamed: 6:59pm On Oct 30, 2019
FarahAideed:

So if you are "million richer " you will not tolerate anyone talking to U anyhow ... Baba whether you like it or not I have seen money , cars I have given out ( not tokunboh oo), scholarship I have paid , charity I have done , Baba since I was about 25 years old there is no day I have had less a million naira to spend as I please anyday ..take it from me and by this time next year I will be a Billionaire in Naira and in 5 years a billionaire in dollars and there is nothing you can do about it Sir ..
Patrick this your Audio spending , ehhhhhh
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by nasoeb: 7:02pm On Oct 30, 2019
What does these 98 firm produce or deal on that must only be imported or exported through the porous land border. So a "supposed" genuine business can't do their business through the seaport if the land borders are closed?
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Legendguru: 7:11pm On Oct 30, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by genii96(m): 7:15pm On Oct 30, 2019
No firm names, no stated locations of relocation. Nice try tho
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Melonny(m): 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2019
oldtruth:

Smiles... Porter 5 forces Have you managed a business before? Which large market opportunity are you talkiing about with loss on transit? Goods being bought and becoming useless at origin? Keep it up
With what you just said now, It will be a waste of my time trying to make you understand anything.. However if you are a CA, then read what you have said and think again.. Loss on transit, useless at origin? (SS1 Commerce). How does this relate to Borders closure nor does it relate to waht i have said.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by babsdeen(m): 7:28pm On Oct 30, 2019
Empredboy:
LAGOS – As the impact of the closure of Nigerian land borders continues to bite, more than 98 firms operating in the country have relocated to other countries in West Africa in the past three weeks, while others have lost millions of naira and are near collapse.

Comrade Saviour Iche, the national president of the Association of Micro-Entrepreneurs of Nigeria (AMEN), made the disclosure while speaking at a press conference in Lagos at the weekend.

He stated the said the companies moved to other countries because of the negative impact the border closure was having on their businesses, adding that many others will follow suit if the situation persist.

He said that operating environment in other countries in west Africa are better, adding that governments of other countries offer incentives and support to entrepreneurs.

He said the closure of the borders has had some positive effect like increased revenue for the government, but argued that the negative impact was greater on the general economy.

According to him, there are many Nigerian businesses that export their goods and services across Nigerian borders, adding that most of these companies are losing millions of naira on a daily basis.

Iche disclosed that many of them have reduced their operations and their number of workers, adding that if the situation continues, many of them will close shop soon.

https://www.independent.ng/border-closure-98-firms-relocate-others-lose-millions/?fbclid=IwAR3mTW7Mb8pnzStjx9YU89kEBHEV2CR3fgq6YYyJ63tv7aD2i6WBCH75e7A

How come you didn't state any of the 98 firms?
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by phineas: 7:38pm On Oct 30, 2019
Wao,so impressed by the comments.Nigerians in the majority are united on this one except the smugglers,impostors and National omo ale alatenujes .And the verdict is .......the border remains closed.

If you want to sell to Nigeria use our sea port and airports...if you want to sell to other countries from Nigeria..please do the same.thats not an unreasonable demand.

Any nation thats not with us on this (till we get our bearing right on next steps) is not for us.

Meanwhile all the companies that relocated to Ghanas should pay duty and taxes to nigeria to bring goods in.Nigeria should consider renegotiating any ECOWAS agreement that stops that

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by paix(m): 7:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
isthatso:

stop looking for excuses and complaining all the time, consider the price increase/lack of rice your national sacrifice and see what happens

Did you say ALL THE TIME? I don't remember that.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by saintmm(m): 7:53pm On Oct 30, 2019
Sometimes I wonder if some speakers consider the I.Q of their listeners before they speak. Any company that relocate from Nigeria in this short duration as stated is definitely not due to border closure.
Though I have reservations for the closure but that statement definitely can't be true
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by meccuno: 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2019
Wallace2107:
mennnnn u are so unenlightened! Hewww undecided

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by FIRDAUS3(m): 8:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
niyisky:
You people will just sit in a corner and fabricate lies, just to discredit the government. Hate! I guess...98 firms without names, industry sectors etc...is easy to just relocate a business like that?

Haters, I hail una!
Mi o ni wa e ti.... grin
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by meccuno: 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2019
FrLukas:

Emeka, you need to change your mindset. Sometimes, even our perceived enemies can be right, after all, a broken clock tells the correct time twice in a day.

Do away with that mentality that Buhari is the source and origin of your problems.
you for call me Ojukwu join. Every one has problems including you. We are not robots and I am not obligated to share the same opinion with you. That's why we have a democracy and run elections because we all have different thought process. Respect mine and I would respect yours. Most times when someone speaks what you think you don't want to hear try and reason. I know blacks in general have problems with dissenting opinions that's why does who don't share them are called terrorist and all sorts. Segun please allow me be who I am. This is a democracy not communism
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Kazim88: 8:49pm On Oct 30, 2019
[quote author=AirBagi post=83595749]Lol lies, I can tell you this is the first time sense Nigerians agree on this decision this government has taken, it's only people who benefit from the illegalities of smuggling that are crying very loud, it only goes to show how other human beings want to benefit from others suffering, these other neighboring countries don't care about us, they don't care if we return back to recession knowing well what smuggling and importation without exportation has been doing to our economy, waitoo come to think of it, which major product do we export to these neighboring countries that yields good revenue for us??[/quote

None thru that border, absolutely none.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Wallade(m): 8:50pm On Oct 30, 2019
geosegun:

Young man, this is the best policy so far. China did same for 30yrs before its confidence enough to open her borders. You have to have the capacity to feed yourself before nourishing others. If the FG did not do this, the farmers will continue to loose and will never be encouraged to make enough investment.
I know someone ready to invest about $200,000 into rice farming.

Atleast more than 10 people will be readily employed form the start and still counting. Why do you think he has the confidence to sink $200k, because he knew the market was there and is favourable and he was still thinking of expanding further as soon as production kick start. Within 2yrs more than 50 people would have been employed. Now think 9f the multiplication effects this bring. Talk of someone who's investing $2.8m, now in two years can you imagine the number of employment that will generate?

Forget about sentiment, if we dont decide to make agriculture a very lucrative sector, people like you will continue to surffer and you will still come here and start shouting the government is not doing just enough to encourage employment generation. There is great market for Nigeria in Nigeria. When we are developed the production and technology to.march other countries the we can open our Borders to favourably compete. That's the way to go young, man.

Human nature is selfish in nature...go and look at countries and people shouting free trade agreements has been compromised. Those are the one benefiting from the open border irrespective of the damage it costs to the country. Even, the developed countries that shout the most through IMF? It is because their economy is strong enough to withstand competition. Nigeria will do same. When we are strong enough then we start advocating for free trade too. Dont be fooled young man. Hence Nigeria will never develop.

Let me know if you need more clarifications and examples.

Old man, do you really wanna compare Nigeria's economy with China's economy at that time. That China was and is still a centrally controlled economy but Nigeria is said to be free-market economy. I only pity the Nigerians you keep impoverishing and plan to unleash food scarcity upon.

If you are out to compare today's Nigeria with the economy of any of the Asian tigers as at that time, you must be fooling yourself.

What is your level of technology, mechanisation and productivity in every sector. Name a sector that is optimally productive in Nigeria.

I am sure the $200,000 dollar investor you mentioned is one of those rogue and selfish policy makers who manipulate the system to their benefit; they are super profit takers who are only in the business for the super profit but can't coop with marginal profit.

The government and farmers have simply disrupted the market with direct interference, scarcity and inflation.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Johans1991: 9:04pm On Oct 30, 2019
americaninja1:
Dunlop Nigeria Plc and Michelin had relocated to Ghana. Patterson Zochonis (PZ) is also planning to relocate to Ghana, even as Cadbury Nigeria Plc, Unilever and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) this year, sacked sizeable number of their workers over reported high cost of production, decaying infrastructure.I will prefer to have my industry in an enabling environment where i can get access to my raw material at a cheaper rate through seaport. Togo doesnt have oil or gas they survive on importation to enable industries an access to their imported raw materials. U dont know aw economy work. Like what Sheik of UAE said Lets Build it first and they will surely come. What are we building? So u think Nigeria population is an asset to the industry, population dat 70% is surviving on less than a dollar per day. I rather go 4 20people with money than 10,000 with nothing.

Micheline will regret now if Nigeria shud close the border for 2yrs.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Johans1991: 9:08pm On Oct 30, 2019
Afamed:

Below is a list of some of the big companies/organisations that folded up between 1999 and 2015 when PDP was in charge:

Osogbo Steel Rolling Company
NITEL
Nigerian Airways
NICOMTEX
Kaduna Textile Mill Ltd
Peugeot Assembly Plant
Leyland Motors
Nigerian Shipping Company
Bacita Sugar Company
Union Dicon
Michelin
Dunlop
Nigerchin
Jebba Paper Mill
Iwopin Paper Mill
Anamco
Volkswagen

No one knows the number of smaller companies that went under and the number of big ones that would have been added to this inglorious list if they had continue especially whrn oil price fell as low as $29 per barrel.
Can you forward the list of those that closed during PMB regime 2015 till date?
Arewa textile also in the list
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Bestman66: 10:06pm On Oct 30, 2019
[quote author=chriskosherbal post=83592669]Can we please know the names of the firms and what they are producing as this will go a long way in getting a good understanding of the issue at hand.[/quote

Correct
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by farem: 10:10pm On Oct 30, 2019
niyisky:
You people will just sit in a corner and fabricate lies, just to discredit the government. Hate! I guess...98 firms without names, industry sectors etc...is easy to just relocate a business like that?

Haters, I hail una!

Let me tell you - what you it is very easy for 98 firms to relocate.
What of our bus stops groundnut and orange selling firms?!! �
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by gwinaB(m): 10:28pm On Oct 30, 2019
Names of the companies and their activities in Nigeria
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by McTobe(m): 11:05pm On Oct 30, 2019
I am neither APC or PDP but I am in full support of the government on this one. I have been eating local rice and just this last month I went for the so called foreign rice and discovered to my amazement that the local rice tastes better. We must sacrifice in order to grow our economy. Ask Russia then USSR and China under Chairman Mao Zedong how they stabilized and became economically viable their reforms were harsh but eventually it paid off.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Yemi7up: 11:34pm On Oct 30, 2019
niyisky:

Haters, I hail una!
As if it is easy to move firms or companies without proper planning and which market is bigger than ours, liars.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Litmus: 12:17am On Oct 31, 2019
americaninja1:
Dunlop Nigeria Plc and Michelin had relocated to Ghana. Patterson Zochonis (PZ) is also planning to relocate to Ghana, even as Cadbury Nigeria Plc, Unilever and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) this year, sacked sizeable number of their workers over reported high cost of production, decaying infrastructure.I will prefer to have my industry in an enabling environment where i can get access to my raw material at a cheaper rate through seaport. Togo doesnt have oil or gas they survive on importation to enable industries an access to their imported raw materials. U dont know aw economy work. Like what Sheik of UAE said Lets Build it first and they will surely come. What are we building? So u think Nigeria population is an asset to the industry, population dat 70% is surviving on less than a dollar per day. I rather go 4 20people with money than 10,000 with nothing.

You paint a picture, which suggests these companies are not leaving because of border closure but because of Nigeria’s crumbling infrastructure. A further implication being Nigerian consumers are financially incapable of sustaining these industries unlike their wealthier Togolese and béninois counterpart. IF this is the case, an alternative model to yours would be Nigerians learning to sow their clothes according to their size. This means patronising local goods and foods until we can afford to import foreign ones. It means Buhari is right.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by NGpatriot: 12:21am On Oct 31, 2019
Wallade:

I strongly believe border closure negates the functionality of free-market system and Nigeria's economy isn't self sustaining and has no immediate potential to sustain itself just yet. It has created artificial scarcity and food inflation especially because local farmers can't meet the local demand for rice and some other food. The farmers capacity should have been developed gradually till we get to level of sufficiency.

If my suspicions earlier stated are true, then government and CBN are trying to make Nigerians pay for the bad loans while they share the returns on the super profit with farmers.

Though I feel the neighbouring countries must respect the desire of the government of Nigeria to prevent smuggling, dumping of goods and protect economy. We must also encourage international trade for balance of payments.

The only catch with this view is the fact that you can not develop your local farmers and industries by allowing smugglers to smuggle in truckloads of cheap food items, products and services everyday to sabotage and undermine whatever you are trying to gradually develop.

Even the so called foreign rice Nigerians clamor for are really re-bagged expired rice packaged for dumping in Nigeria, in fact, the customs intercepted 33 containers of expired rice 2 days ago, but to Nigerians, it's imported rice, while in fact it's expired rice.

Smuggled cheap textile imports from China crippled our textile industries, a fully developed textile industry, but we looked the other way and focused on oil money.

Bottom line, we need to do something about smuggling, right now, we are subsidizing fuel in Nigeria and subsidizing fuel in many West African countries because they smuggle cheap and Nigerian subsidized fuel to their countries to reap massive profits.

Most of the imported cars in our car showrooms are smuggled cars that we did not collect 1 kobo duty on, we are talking about hundreds of billions every year.

We don't even get to collect anything at all on smuggled goods.

Many West African economies are basically smuggling economies against Nigeria, they are nothing without smuggling.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by sharone21(f): 12:57am On Oct 31, 2019
Introvertedmarc:
If your goods is that important to the neighbouring country, use the SEA and adjust prices as neccessary.. same for the ones importing into Nigeria.
But really, why are people ( including foreigners) avoiding our sea ports and airports, why can't government critically look into this and adjust?
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by LANDLORD72: 2:08am On Oct 31, 2019
niyisky:

Haters, I hail una!
God bless you my brother the matter weak me fake journalism
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by ddeola: 4:49am On Oct 31, 2019
You mean firms benefitting from smuggling and contraband goods ?

I see no reason why Benin republic should be the 2nd importer of rice in the world after China when all the rice ends up on tables in Nigeria. Too many people benefitting from the mess in the country.

Let coys inside Nigeria be allowed to import rice from Thailand and pay duties then our economy will benefit. Why should Benin be living over us when we are the ones paying the money? Locally cultivated rice cannot meet the demand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria / Bola Tinubu Pictured With Gbemi Saraki / Dada Fasoto Arifanlajogun, Igboho's Witch Doctor Arrested By DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.