Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,777 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? (30409 Views)

Top 10 Trendy Haircuts For Guys (PHOTOS) / PHOTOS: Ghana Must Go Boxers For Guys / Hair Wonder Natural Shampoo My Like And Dislike. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by TenthMan(m): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2019
Hypocritical Conservatism.

Liken it to the Lombrosian Theory of Deviance.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by PastorConnect(m): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2019
l don't no y guys love dat hair
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Ladycoolbreeze(f): 12:00pm On Nov 01, 2019
They look fearful and crazy
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by jaxxy(m): 12:01pm On Nov 01, 2019
I saw majeck fashek with a dreadlocks and I wasn’t bothered because he looked innocent and calm bt these set of guys wearing dread now have a different ideology for wearing dreadlocks and its unkept or tilts toward negative tendencies.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Xisnin(m): 12:01pm On Nov 01, 2019
Senseless?
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Kamcee(m): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
Na to go dread my armpit be the next thing oo

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by hidhrhis(m): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
j
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Kokoebapluse(m): 12:03pm On Nov 01, 2019
angry. Something that you can get free just run mad dreadlocks will full everywhere, useless do dreadlocks. Simple
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2019
I won't say senseless; dreads are more prone to infestation by lice; uncared for hair sometimes smells bad; it is also synonymous with immaturity, rebellion and drug use. But not all dreadlocked people conform to the stereotype.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by ClitRaider: 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
TheSourcerer:
I'll start keeping locks I got inspired by these post, more cute pics op
If you try it, na SARS get you bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by shadeyinka(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
africandictator:
Hello Nairalanders, I have been searching for reasons why most Nigerians have a phobia and dislike for boys and men with dreadlocks and I can’t find any credible reason.

Dread lock is synonymous with chronic madness in our society.
The Rasterfarians popularised it but added Indian hemp smoking which didn't help matters.
The white garment churches that do it also do it for spiritual reasons

So that

It is difficult for people to understand how it could be fashionable

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by OlujobaSamuel: 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2019
Most of those on dreads do it to show they have some degree of badass societal prowess, so don't blame those wey dey condemn dem for it.
Imagine that Mayorkun dey aspire to become naija president, you sef wey dey support dreads no go vote am because of dreads

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
africandictator:
lol you are funny.. comments so far have not been able to convince me why we should be weary of men or boys with dreads, especially those who look good on dreads
Absolutely! there are no good reasons other than stigma.

I don't have dreads but i braid my hair, ve been braiding since i was 22, It's clean, it's smells good. i use all the Available hair products to keep it tidy. it cost alot of money to maintain.

And some women likes it. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
To me dread locks if natural is okay n should be well kept.
I don't understand why a guy will start using wool or whatever to start twisting his hair.
To me you're not matured enough.

#myopinionthough

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by hidhrhis(m): 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
I think the day I rock dread will be the day I will be disown
I still remember the days I use to rock very high Afro hairstyle momma used scissors to trim it down before I woke up so had to go besides anytime I see someone rocking dread the next thing my mind tell me is he is either a cultist or an armed robbery even if SARS sees someone on dread they assume he is a yahoo boy
in Nigeria dread is associated to too many bad character
you can never see a person see a male on dread and think:hmmm he must be a doctor
you only think of the worst when u see them
no offence meant to those who do dread

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Luckysbab: 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:
Most of those on dreads do it to show they have some degree of badass societal prowess, so don't blame those wey dey condemn dem for it.
Imagine that Mayorkun dey aspire to become naija president, you sef wey dey support dreads no go vote am because of dreads

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by ogongogames(m): 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
It's simple, unfortunately locs don't have a positive stereotype particularly in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by alfsalami: 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
Not a senseless fear , truly its part of the dress code for irresponsibility and criminality

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
shadeyinka:

The Rasterfarians popularised it but added Indian hemp smoking which didn't help matters.

So that

This is far from the truth, very very far. smiley
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Luckysbab: 12:10pm On Nov 01, 2019
I saw a Nigerian ref at the last HIFL on that Mayorkun kind of dreads, na bad eye I just take dey look am. Natural instinct.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2019
As for me, I grew up when the footballer Ruud Gulit was still active, and he had a fine mane of dreadlocks...which led me to associante dreadlocks with being good at sports, especially football.

Which brings me to my point....the problem with dreadlocks in Nigeria is that over time it has been associated with people who are outsiders. Here in Nigeria, having dreadlocks means you are either a drug addict or a member of a controversial white garment church (and the whole mysticisim around dreadlocks...I once met a woman who won't cut her dreadlocked son's hair because 'of the bible'..lol), or in some instances, someone with mental issues. (which has a lot to do with the guy or girl not cutting their hair...hair grows up matted...dreadlocks).

Personally, I have no issue with dreadlocks, and if I have a child with dreadlocks, I probably would accept him or her as normal (and if it is a boy, pray he becomes the next Ruud Gullit!)...

I guess it all boils down to how we associate certain things with some behaviours. In Europe, a young man shaving his head , unless he isn;t in the armed forces, is assumed to be a racist skinhead. A longharied chap is possibly an unserious person. And that's Europe.

Stereotypes.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by frozen70g(f): 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2019
Those days, you must be a celebrity and you must be a known person with good characters and a model for children

Even the dreadlocks have to be neat that you won't get tired of looking at how beautiful it was made

It was even expensive that only those who can afford to maintain it have it on them

But now every dick and Harry is wearing it, it became common appearance

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Tucker18(m): 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2019
africandictator:
I can see you have been gifted with quite an amount of intellect and reasoning
Lol that's how most people in the society sees it tho (in to be precise)
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2019
GogobiriLalas:
I won't say senseless; dreads are more prone to infestation by lice; uncared for hair sometimes smells bad; it is also synonymous with immaturity, rebellion and drug use. But not all dreadlocked people conform to the stereotype.
This man/woman has already written what I was trying to pass across.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by DBossNG(m): 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2019
IT MAKES THEM LOOK UNKEMPT

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
No reasons other than Ignorance and Judgemental stigmatizations.

Nigeria is A society full with Sanctimonious Religiously Hyporcritical Goons. who sees everything from religious point of views.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by lordyugo: 12:14pm On Nov 01, 2019
TheGiftedOne:
...because it reeks of irresponsibility. Thank you!

Here we go again ,another dim witted comment from a mediocre race with frivolous misplaced priorities of what should be and shouldnt be, smh

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 01, 2019
shadeyinka:

So that

The late Sam Okwaraji had dreadlocks...and as far as I know he 1) was not mad 2) was not a Rastafarian.. 3) was a member of a mainline church

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by PStacks(m): 12:16pm On Nov 01, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 01, 2019
0KNM:
Imagine rocking dread and having tattoos in Nigeria... even your family members will see you as ‘black sheep’ of the family

If SARS come see you ehn

Me: Dread + Tattoos

SARS:

I pity you
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2019
gypsey:
No reasons other than Ignorance and Judgemental stigmatizations.

Nigeria is A sociwty full with Sanctimonious Religiously Hyporcritical Goons. You sees everything from religious point of views.

Well, if I was living in a white country, and shaved my head and was a white man, in some parts , I might be considered a skinhead, a violent type of racist.

And if I let my hair grow long, as a white man, some whites may consider me an unserious person, with no future ambition

Over a hundred years ago, a soldier without a mustache in the UK was considered a weakling.

It isn't only Nigeria.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Get Your Long Lasting Designer Perfume Oil For Cheap / ”Agbada Is Not For Short Men” – Female Twitter User / Check Out This Body Types And See Which One Is Yours!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.