Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,720 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:47 AM

Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? (31514 Views)

Men Keeping Long Nails: I Dislike Seeing My Fellow Gender With This.... / Guys With Beard Vs Guys Without Beard: Which Do You Prefer? / Top 10 Trendy Haircuts For Guys (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by tintingz(m): 4:06pm On Nov 01, 2019
From comments I've read so far, majority people have no logical reason why dreadlocks are bad, their opinions are influenced by socio and religious ground.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
tintingz:

Another correction: Dreadlocks is not a sign of "razzness" in Jamaica, it's a religious thing called Rastafarian.

Rastafarians (or their lifestyle) are not fully accepted in Jamaican society. The movement was a rebellion against the restrictive and racist class system left over from colonialism and slavery

It created shockwaves and most Jamaicans didn't like it when it started. They associate it with a wild and undisciplined lifestyle

Jamaican society is governed a lot by race and skin colour, which is why there is a bleaching craze there.

Not all Jamaicans are black. There are white, Chinese, Indian, Jewish, Syrian and mixed heritage Jamaicans. The black majority is economically and socially disadvantaged.

If you look at poor slum communities where all that popular music comes from and then look at wealthy areas where middle and upper-class Jamaicans live and work you will see the difference between their dressing and styles, their attitudes to issues and outlook on life

Do your own research before going around and about in my mentions!

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by tintingz(m): 4:31pm On Nov 01, 2019
midnighter:

Rastafarians (or their lifestyle) are not fully accepted in Jamaican society. The movement was a rebellion against the restrictive and racist class system left over from colonialism and slavery

It created shockwaves and most Jamaicans didn't like it when it started. They associate it with a wild and undisciplined lifestyle

Jamaican society is governed a lot by race and skin colour, which is why there is a bleaching craze there.

Not all Jamaicans are black. There are white, Chinese, Indian, Jewish, Syrian and mixed heritage Jamaicans. The black majority is economically and socially disadvantaged.

If you look at poor slum communities where all that popular music comes from and then look at wealthy areas where middle and upper-class Jamaicans live and work you will see the difference between their dressing and styles, their attitudes to issues and outlook on life

Do your own research before going around and about in my mentions!
Lol, Rastafarianism is said to be Abrahamic religion and yes it has history in black slavery movement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari

There are notable people that are rastafari.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by NaijaAlien: 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2019
[color=#000099][/color]
midnighter:

Like seriously do you even know what you are saying about Jamaica and Jamaicans the dreadlocks in Jamaica is widely respected and reverred majority of them are on it and are well loved and respected so many notable Jamaicans carried it and were proud of it.. Check our history as Africans and black people dreadlocks is our natural state of our hair and we are meant to be proud of it as our ancestors... Narrow minded and ignorant people vilify people who are on it and what baffles me Most is that black people who are supposed to uplift one another are the ones to always try to pull each other... Personally I feel the stereotype associated with locs in Nigeria especially comes from the narrow mindedness of the society and it is been passed on from generation to generation.. In civilized places you see men and women in locs holding powerful positions and still living their life... We as Africans need to actually know our history and strive to keep our authenticity and never let any ignorant or backward thinking individual or individuals to ever make us feel less

Thank you..

Excuse me, you are right. What I meant was where the recent "revival" started

They do not all detest dreadlocks but general society disapproves of it. It isnt really regarded well with them, if somebody like a minister wears it then they are doing it to make a statement.

Dreadlocks are kind of a sign of being razz for them. If they see you with it they will mentally put you in a particular category the same way most people here look down on tattoos

They are moving towards accepting it but a lot of schools and professions will not allow it
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Barzinime(m): 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
My bad that i didnt get to notice it was in the "fashion section"
From your illustration, the OP shoudn't be concerned the way people perceive someone on dreadlocks.
I am just saying "'do want you want to do and live with it"

midnighter:

You can't just reduce all issues to "what has that got to do with the country progressing".

This is a relevant issue to the poster and he opened it in the "fashion section". If someone opens up a debate about a social topic, is that not dialogue and therefore progress?

Must we talk about kainji dam every day?
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by NaijaAlien: 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2019
sinceraconcept:
Call it whatever you like but we are cultural and religious and proud to be. Religion and culture limits the rate at which people stray

You can practice it' all you want but insisting that others have to do so because you do it is wrong.. So many Nigerians are been pressured my statements and people like this to be who they are and end of been dejected.. Look if you wanna practice anything that's fine by you but individuals or organisation that comprises of human beings has no right to impose anything on anyone.. There is no blueprint to life.. Live and let live.. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 4:53pm On Nov 01, 2019
Barzinime:
My bad that i didnt get to notice it was in the "fashion section"
From your illustration, the OP shoudn't be concerned the way people perceive someone on dreadlocks.
I am just saying "'do want you want to do and live with it"

He is not saying he will not live with it, he is asking why there is a negative attitude towards it in our society

It's easy to tell somebody to go ahead and "live with it" without minding what people will say, what of all the scorn, embarrassment, harassment and lost opportunities that will come of that decision?

My own is that it's not an unreasonable question to ask if it's what's bothering him
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by africandictator(m): 4:55pm On Nov 01, 2019
tintingz:
From comments I've read so far, majority people have no logical reason why dreadlocks are bad, their opinions are influenced by socio and religious ground.
well said and concise
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by abbeynism(m): 5:01pm On Nov 01, 2019
The fact is simple... 95% of Nigerians on dreadlock are either yahoo boy or tout.
Only 5% are normal human being.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Barzinime(m): 5:10pm On Nov 01, 2019
My point is that dreads is not part of our way of life and that is why people castigate it.
Like they say "when you are in rome behave like the romans''

midnighter:

He is not saying he will not live with it, he is asking why there is a negative attitude towards it in our society

It's easy to tell somebody to go ahead and "live with it" without minding what people will say, what of all the scorn, embarrassment, harassment and lost opportunities that will come of that decision?

My own is that it's not an unreasonable question to ask if it's what's bothering him
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 5:55pm On Nov 01, 2019
Barzinime:
My point is that dreads is not part of our way of life and that is why people castigate it.
Like they say "when you are in rome behave like the romans''

Yes, but he is asking "why"

Most of the reasons people gave here are somewhat tangential.

This is how they coerce black women in the western world into relaxing their hair and prevent them from wearing natural hair/braids to work without any particular reason apart from "it looks unprofessional".

Unprofessional according to who??
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Bgcentz(m): 7:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
Nigeria dreadlock is different
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by KingBaba1(m): 7:58pm On Nov 01, 2019
spiritedtete:
Example Mayokun... does that young man looks inviting with that dread... he looks like a zombie...

The truth is even around the civilised world not many is a fan of dread... it is not just a Nigerian thing...

The only thing that bail you out of people accepting your dreaded hairstyle is when you have an identity. Nothing more.

You keep dread say na fashion rubbish jor... many look very unkept with it and have no one to tell them the truth.

I haven't come accross handy men that looks really great on a dreaded hairstyle so far... they most times look rough or unimaginable specie.

Please if you want to keep dread Just have an outstanding Identity... so we can look at you from that angle. And not mind that thing you have on your head.

Call it hypocrisy... It lives in every man.

My opinion!
I hope u like Uti nwachukwu dread locks.... His Instagram handle is @Siruti and u can check him out If u don't know him or can't recollect his face
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Rosskiki: 8:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
ThatFairGuy:
Appearance says a lot about individual.... Dreadlocks shows sign of IRRESPONSIBILITY, It makes someone a SUSPECT, RIFFRAFF and denied them so many opportunities.... You don't expect me to give job to men on dreadlocks, when I'm not mad....
To me, it's only mentally derailed person that doesn't comb here, so they're mad people.
Can you Vote in to a political office, men on dreads?

You are intensely stupid. People like you are the problem in this world. Your judgemental narrow-mindedness, selfishness, intolerance, and ignorance stink to high heavens. All expressions of individuality are valid, and it is not for you to elevate your worldview over others' in that regard.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by meobizy(f): 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2019
Who cares?
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by spiritedtete: 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2019
KingBaba1:
I hope u like Uti nwachukwu dread locks.... His Instagram handle is @Siruti and u can check him out If u don't know him or can't recollect his face

UTI isn't about the dread anymore... UTI has become an house hold name... That's an identity... It goes beyond looks.
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by shadeyinka(m): 9:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
gypsey:
Not really, i was just sympathising with the mad man, besides you gave me a mad man as an example. so i gave my sympathetic opinion on the mad.

Yes, he may have smoked weed but he wasn't irresponsible or mad According to you. he was one of the best Raggae musicians.

I woudn't know about the churche's case, i am not religious.

Not really, it depends on your idea of a mad man,
people with mental illness are they also mad men? i am bipolar. does that make me a mad man? in your view.
I think we are not opposing one another. We have only misunderstood each other.

1. The OP asked a question:
Why is it that our society frown at men keeping dreadlocks?
2. My Answer:
I gave three reasons why our society abhor dreadlocks on men
a. It is never a surprise that a mad man has dreadlocks
(Synonymous with dirty mad man)
b. Rastafarians are known to both keep dreadlocks and smoke weed/ganja
(Synonymous with weed smoking)
c. White garment churches subscribe to dreadlocks as their Nazarene culture

These are the answers to the OP as per why our society do not appreciate men having dreadlocks.

I haven't given my personal opinion on this. I have given what our society thinks about men having dreadlocks.

My personal opinion:
It looks horrible on 95% of men who keep dreadlocks. Too many variables have the be right from the completion, to the facial structure, to the length of the dreadlocks, to the thickness of each braid , to the color of the dreadlocks, to the grooming of the locks, to the affluence of the wearer etc.

If you ask me: many look like gorillas. No insult intended. You may like it, I certainly don't !
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
shadeyinka:

2. My Answer:

These are the answers to the OP as per why our society do not appreciate men having dreadlocks.

I haven't given my personal opinion on this. I have given what our society thinks about men having dreadlocks.

My personal opinion:
It looks horrible on 95% of men who keep dreadlocks. Too many variables have the be right from the completion, to the facial structure, to the length of the dreadlocks, to the thickness of each braid , to the color of the dreadlocks, to the grooming of the locks, to the affluence of the wearer etc.

If you ask me: many look like gorillas. No insult intended. You may like it, I certainly don't !
Okay.

laughs @ looks like gorrila grin maybe to you, I don't have dreadlocks by the way, but i have braids.
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2019
shadeyinka:

2. My Answer:

My personal opinion:

Now this is an intelligent answer
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by witworth(m): 10:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
am glad it says senseless fear, very wrong Country

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by LeoFish92(m): 7:50am On Nov 02, 2019
gypsey:
Absolutely! there are no good reasons other than stigma.

I don't have dreads but i braid my hair, ve been braiding since i was 22, It's clean, it's smells good. i use all the Available hair products to keep it tidy. it cost alot of money to maintain.

And some women likes it. grin

Can I see a picture? I'll love to braid mine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 02, 2019
LeoFish92:

Can I see a picture? I'll love to braid mine
here i am.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by LeoFish92(m): 11:03am On Nov 02, 2019
gypsey:

here i am.

Nah, I'll pass. grin
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 02, 2019
LeoFish92:

Nah, I'll pass. grin
No worries grin it isn't for everyone, besides you asked. this is just one of the styles i do. there are different more styles. like corn rows.

Some people like clean shaven, i have never had a clean shaven. i hate it.
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 2:45pm On Nov 02, 2019
Dreadful
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by shadeyinka(m): 3:28pm On Nov 02, 2019
midnighter:

Now this is an intelligent answer
That had always been my position (without stating my own personal opinion)
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by shadeyinka(m): 3:29pm On Nov 02, 2019
gypsey:
Okay.

laugh @ looks like gorrila grin maybe to you, I don't have dreadlocks by the way, but i have braids.
Braids are just slightly better: at least they don't look as rough nor do they look like the wearer is a MAD HEMP SMOKER!
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2019
shadeyinka:

Braids are just slightly better: at least they don't look as rough nor do they look like the wearer is a MAD HEMP SMOKER!
True.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by LeoFish92(m): 3:40pm On Nov 02, 2019
gypsey:
No worries grin it isn't for everyone, besides you asked. this is just one of the styles i do. there are different more styles. like corn rows.

Some people like clean shaven, i have never had a clean shaven. i hate it.

I think Corn rows will look better on you than this haphazard one
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 02, 2019
LeoFish92:

I think Corn rows will look better on you than this haphazard one
grin grin haphazard? what da hell does that mean?

like this one?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by LeoFish92(m): 7:02pm On Nov 02, 2019
haphazard? what da hell does that mean?

Means it's not neatly arranged.

like this one?

More like it!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ghana-Must-Go Shirt & Cap On Model / Tonto Dikeh's Dress To Keri Hilson's Event : Hot Or Not? / #NigeriaAt55: Evolution Of Nigerian Fashion Since 1960(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.