Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,310 members, 7,954,244 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:14 PM

Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? (24926 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Just30: 1:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
donaldking10:

they are.
but their college of medicine certificates ain't valued outside Ghana.
grin grin grin

you are funny oo

and yet, Ghanaian medical professionals are working globally

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by dunsin125: 4:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
isgombe:

why?

The school has been running mbbs program for more than 9years now but they never graduate any set.

what am thinking is that in the next 2 to 3 years they will start graduating students

You are not even sure they will start graduating soon, pick the school with a full accreditation. Read about the issue Benue state university had, I think it was 13 years or so.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by 1Sharon(f): 4:22pm On Nov 04, 2019
donaldking10:

they are.
but their college of medicine certificates ain't valued outside Ghana.

Cheers for this. I dodged a bullet

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by 1Sharon(f): 4:24pm On Nov 04, 2019
isgombe:

Yeah i heard that sudan too are doing it. but i don't actually know which of the school.

if you know can u name them?

I only know ghana does it.

But don't even bother, someone said the school isnt accredited
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by FreshShavedBalls(m): 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2019
Isgombe are you from Gombe? Cuz if you are talking about GSU,you should know that their MBBS programme is now fully accredited.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by mrintellectual(m): 6:27am On Nov 05, 2019
I will advice that you apply for both DE and UTME. You are still very young.

At 26, I applied using DE for MEDICINE, I didn't gain admission.
At, 27, I applied using UTME for MEDICINE, I scored 303, I didn't gain admission for Medicine.

Finally, at 28, I applied for Medicine using UTME, and I have gained admission.

I hope this answers your question. Age is not a barrier at all to your dreams. So, go for it. You are still young.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by GODDESSMAX: 9:41am On Nov 13, 2019
GODDESSMAX:
There is no harm in studying
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by jaeybee98(m): 10:44am On Jan 27, 2020
kayrichy:
Come on ..I was in the same shoe 5years ago,then I just finished my NYSC..I didn’t think twice before taking my decision to enrolling in a medical school .i graduated a 5year biochemistry course in FUTA.(age 25) then I could recall our lecturers calling us FRUSTRATED MEDICAL DOCTORS because we couldn’t gain admission to study medicine and were dropped to biochemistry...apart from tha passion I always have for medicine..that statement also motivated me and stil took the bold step to studying medicine..I am currently having my clinical rotation and will graduate by Gods Grace April 2020..within the last few years of medical school..I was also able to run my masters in public health(research)during summer holidays in same school..
Fast forward to 2019..I feel so fulfilled and out of 130students that graduated in biochemistry dept
My colleagues are also doing well though but nothing pays better than when you do what your mind pleases..
....Lastly,,don’t think of the financial freedom yet..think of your effort in saving life
Hello sir, i'm presently a Biochemistry undergraduate in FUTA and like you sir, i want to follow my passion after graduating. Can i PM you sir?
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by jaeybee98(m): 8:58pm On Feb 12, 2020
Michano22:

Bro, I sent you a mail. I'm in the same scenario, graduated from same school, same course. pls reply
Hello sir, Can you please reply my PM.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by oyetunjibaba: 8:06am On Feb 14, 2020
??
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Hahnemann: 6:22am On Feb 03, 2021
osato45:
You would start from 200l, go for it, i hope you made a second class upper in your first degree. I knew a family man who started at age 35 after his first degree and today he is a medical doctor. So it is never too late to start

Pls give me more details about this
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Hahnemann: 6:32am On Feb 03, 2021
Essentialism:
pls dont think twice. i advice u to go for it. i am in my 40s and at 200L
wow and I'm just 29, graduate Bmls still feeling reluctant applying for DE because I think I'm old.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by sreamsense: 11:31am On Feb 03, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

Let me advice you as a medical doctor, there is nothing wrong with you aspiring to go for mbbs through DE considering you're just 25. In my school then at unn almost half of my class where DE candidates or those who have been in one department or the other and only about 30% of us were pure freshers from secondary school. Almost half of the class were more than 25 years of year.

here is the catch; never ever try to run business along with medicine, I mean never , it's stressful on its own and time consuming to study medicine let alone of combining it with business. Secondly never try to run the program in a partially accredited institution which is most likely going to be a state university. If you can abide by the two submissions above, as a physiology graduate you should be able to do your program and finish in time from a federal university

I never agree with your second submission, medicine is overated. A close friend of mine sponsored himself in the university and studied medicine. He first went to polytechnic to study electrical electronic at ND level before going back to university to study medicine.

While he was in the university, he was repairing electronic gadgets in the hostel for students and building inverters for sale to sponsor himself. He finished very well from medicine, practicing and as well modernised his electronic workshops. Now he makes more money even from modern electronic automation than medicine and automate many hospital equipment.

Another friend of mine recently finished medicine at Luth after graduating from one of the social science courses from Unilag many years ago. He was above 40yrs when he did diploma in Unilag and luckily he passed and entered LUTH. He sponsored himself through tutorial services and home lessons. Now, he is a medical doctor

Time management is the key and applicable to everything one does in life. At that age of 25, is never too late. And if he doesn't have any other sponsor, he has no choice but to keep balancing between academic and business. With his age, experience and conviction he should be able to know when to go for business and when to stay off from business to study.

If he is lucky, as he keeps working harder and progresses academically, he may be looking for scholarships and if he doesn't get scholarship, he can keep managing his business to support himself via appropriate time management
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Herbephe1(m): 12:54pm On Feb 03, 2021
Quality20:
apply to cool universities like usmanu danfidiyo university Sokoto, u gonna even graduate on time, but I don't know if they take de

They don't admit de to professional courses (med, Nur, mls, rad, etc
I chose medical lab in the school this year but insecurity is really giving me second thought
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Herbephe1(m): 1:07pm On Feb 03, 2021
MrCool007:
Go for it . I'm a doctor. I had classmates who were in their thirties and married in medical school. I personally know one who supported himself by selling recharge cards and phone accessories, and also married with 2 kids. Nothing is impossible. It's a question of how much and why you want it. You don't want to go through life with regret.

Medicine in futa??
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by dunsin125: 2:38pm On Feb 03, 2021
Hahnemann:
wow and I'm just 29, graduate Bmls still feeling reluctant applying for DE because I think I'm old.
You're not old. Ask yourself this, If because of age, you eventually don't study MBBS. When you look back in the nearest future, would you be happy you didn't or you would be like had I known, did you read the story of Dr Tonye.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by na2016: 11:14pm On Feb 06, 2021
isgombe:
Good afternoon my people.
I am currently 25years old and have A BSc. degree in physiology. I have passion for medicine an i wanted to re-apply, though the school that i want (is in my state) is partially accredited by MDCN, but they have final year student.

The reason i wanted to apply for the school is that i need to open a shop that i can be running my business and also.

Please I need your view considering my age? is it okay for me to start all over again from 100level or should i apply for DE in different state?

Thank you.

OP: Appy for that shit (Medicine), do well and a lot of countries in the would-be waiting to take you on board.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by kayrichy: 12:17am On Oct 17, 2022
MrCool007:
Go for it . I'm a doctor. I had classmates who were in their thirties and married in medical school. I personally know one who supported himself by selling recharge cards and phone accessories, and also married with 2 kids. Nothing is impossible. It's a question of how much and why you want it. You don't want to go through life with regret.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ABU Zaria To Resume On 25 January 2021 / Stunning pictures of children's day celebration, share ur Childhood Memories / Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.