Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,810 members, 7,956,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:56 PM

Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? (24938 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by na2016: 1:15pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:
Good afternoon my people.
I am currently 25years old and have A BSc. degree in physiology. I have passion for medicine an i wanted to re-apply, though the school that i want (is in my state) is partially accredited by MDCN, but they have final year student.

The reason i wanted to apply for the school is that i need to open a shop that i can be running my business and also.

Please I need your view considering my age? is it okay for me to start all over again from 100level or should i apply for DE in different state?

Thank you.

Schooling(especially Medicine, Some Engineering courses) and Business does not got hand in hand. If you have passion for medicine, go for it but choose a good school.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by AceNY: 1:15pm On Nov 02, 2019
Get into a fully accredited school. Go for it. It's worth every effort. Also remember Medicine is an Internationally mobile degree. Go for it, but get into an accredited school to prevent future delays and disappointment. I wish you all the best!
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by lade007(m): 1:19pm On Nov 02, 2019
Isobug:

Hmmm....$3000 should be around #1.1M
if my calculation is right. Is that enough to Carter for the fees and processes? Is it this amount per session or what?

Yes that's your fee per session.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by kapelvej: 1:22pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:
I am currently 25years old and have A BSc. degree in physiology. I have passion for medicine an i wanted to re-apply, though the school that i want (is in my state) is partially accredited by MDCN, but they have final year student.

The reason i wanted to apply for the school is that i need to open a shop that i can be running my business and also.

Please I need your view considering my age? is it okay for me to start all over again from 100level or should i apply for DE in different state?

Thank you.
25 hahahahahahahahha, ou are a baby. Please go for it
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Influence01: 1:28pm On Nov 02, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
medical doctor my foot.
jobless man claiming a profession he has no knowledge on a Faceless forum
bless you brother.. You can run medicine and your business welll... Everything is about priority and discipline.. I can't count the number of entrepreneurs I know in medicine
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by nervorum: 1:38pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

Thank you.

If you were my sibling, i would advise not to study medicine (if you have to do it here). Unfortunately, you say you have a passion for it. Your age is not a problem, the way Nigeria is now, is the problem.

Most 'passionate' doctors have left clinical practice to join NGOs or businesses to survive, others are running 'helter skelter' to gain a foothold in uk, us, canada etc. Its pathetic.

Have you wondered why your lecturers who have children studying medicine send their wards abroad? The foreseeable future looks grim here.

Not trying to discourage you. But think about it well. Talk to doctors, physically, especially young ones. Get well informed, then make a decision..

By the way, medical education is too jealous to combine with business. One MUST fail.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by LegendaryArnold(m): 1:39pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

Thank you.

You're never too old to follow your dreams. Even I you're 40 and it takes you 7 years to finish medical school, you can still serve as a practicing doctor for over 20 years. Don't let anything hold you down man.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by nervorum: 1:44pm On Nov 02, 2019
Influence01:
bless you brother.. You can run medicine and your business welll... Everything is about priority and discipline.. I can't count the number of entrepreneurs I know in medicine

Entrepreneurs in medical school? I can't count the number who failed out of medical school, or stayed longer.
You can out of med. Schl, not in med. Schl
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by kayrichy: 1:50pm On Nov 02, 2019
Come on ..I was in the same shoe 5years ago,then I just finished my NYSC..I didn’t think twice before taking my decision to enrolling in a medical school .i graduated a 5year biochemistry course in FUTA.(age 25) then I could recall our lecturers calling us FRUSTRATED MEDICAL DOCTORS because we couldn’t gain admission to study medicine and were dropped to biochemistry...apart from tha passion I always have for medicine..that statement also motivated me and stil took the bold step to studying medicine..I am currently having my clinical rotation and will graduate by Gods Grace April 2020..within the last few years of medical school..I was also able to run my masters in public health(research)during summer holidays in same school..
Fast forward to 2019..I feel so fulfilled and out of 130students that graduated in biochemistry dept
My colleagues are also doing well though but nothing pays better than when you do what your mind pleases..
....Lastly,,don’t think of the financial freedom yet..think of your effort in saving life

2 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by MrCool007: 1:55pm On Nov 02, 2019
Go for it . I'm a doctor. I had classmates who were in their thirties and married in medical school. I personally know one who supported himself by selling recharge cards and phone accessories, and also married with 2 kids. Nothing is impossible. It's a question of how much and why you want it. You don't want to go through life with regret.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Premiumwriter: 1:58pm On Nov 02, 2019
kayrichy:
Come on ..I was in the same shoe 5years ago,then I just finished my NYSC..I didn’t think twice before taking my decision to enrolling in a medical school .i graduated a 5year biochemistry course in FUTA.(age 25) then I could recall our lecturers calling us FRUSTRATED MEDICAL DOCTORS because we couldn’t gain admission to study medicine and were dropped to biochemistry...apart from tha passion I always have for medicine..that statement also motivated me and stil took the bold step to studying medicine..I am currently having my clinical rotation and will graduate by Gods Grace April 2020..within the last few years of medical school..I was also able to run my masters in public health(research)during summer holidays in same school..
Fast forward to 2019..I feel so fulfilled and out of 130students that graduated in biochemistry dept
My colleagues are also doing well though but nothing pays better than when you do what your mind pleases..
....Lastly,,don’t think of the financial freedom yet..think of your effort in saving life
those lecturers eh.

I'm currently doing physiology here and how they are treating is really annoying.

Anyways I applied for medicine this year again. I hope i get it this time.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 02, 2019
iCauseTrouble:

Everything iw not certificate bro. Not just in the mood to share my personal story
That's his dream. Besides, medicine is more than a certificate. It's like a craft. You master it and then practise it throughout one's lifetime. It's not everyone that can do business. You might have done well in business as you alluded, but it might not augur well for another person. Different strokes for different folks.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Great504: 3:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

Go for it right away.
Thank you.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by shadeyinka(m): 3:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

Thank you.
Why is it that I don't believe you?
If you have gone through the university system, you would not have asked the question at bolded.

A degree in physiology cannot place you lower than 200L anywhere in Nigeriaexcept you have a 3rd class degree.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by 1Sharon(f): 3:41pm On Nov 02, 2019
OP.. I am a little older than you and just got in!

Think about how guaranteed your career will be.

Think about job security.

Think about helping people in the best way ever.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by 1Sharon(f): 3:46pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:
Thanks.

i need more suggestion please

Have you heard about graduate entry medicine??

I know ghana offers this program.

You could become a doctor in 4 years rather than 6/ 7.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by donaldking10: 3:52pm On Nov 02, 2019
1Sharon:

but then your certificate would be useless in so many countries, even here in Nigeria.
know people it has happened to.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by 1Sharon(f): 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2019
donaldking10:

but then your certificate would be useless in so many countries, even here in Nigeria.
know people it has happened to.

You mean the universities in ghana aren't accredited?
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Geekhard: 5:08pm On Nov 02, 2019
How old would you be if you don't take this step? Whether you do this or not, the years would still pass regardless. So go for it bro.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by isgombe: 5:33pm On Nov 02, 2019
shadeyinka:

Why is it that I don't believe you?
If you have gone through the university system, you would not have asked the question at bolded.

A degree in physiology cannot place you lower than 200L anywhere in Nigeriaexcept you have a 3rd class degree.

lols, from my post i made mention that i want to apply in my state, so their mbbs program is partially accredited and they are not accepting DE candidates in mbbs.

The DE am talking about is from different school ( in different state) that i want to apply.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by isgombe: 5:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
1Sharon:

Yeah i heard that sudan too are doing it. but i don't actually know which of the school.

if you know can u name them?
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Davico(m): 5:43pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

Thank you.
How i wish we can talk... i dropped out of medical school.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Jman06(m): 5:54pm On Nov 02, 2019
It is better to acquire sound education that would benefit the society even at 40years than just rushing through school studying some courses only to come out and become a liability to the society.

However, attending an unaccredited medical school is a big no no
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by isgombe: 5:58pm On Nov 02, 2019
Davico:
How i which we can talk... i dropped out of medical school.
i have replied u
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Davico(m): 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

i have replied u
Ok bro. I sent my contact.
Drop ur contact into my mailbox
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by shadeyinka(m): 7:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

lols, from my post i made mention that i want to apply in my state, so their mbbs program is partially accredited and they are not accepting DE candidates in mbbs.

The DE am talking about is from different school ( in different state) that i want to apply.
A friend of mine did it before. We graduated together the same year. He did biochemistry. While we went to serve, he started his 200L. If there is a will, anything is possible.

Having a supportive parent is crucial though. You can't combine medical school with private business; I believe you know that.

You first need to ask yourself the question:
Do you love medicine or its the title of Dr. that you truely really want.
Will you love medicine if you cannot set-up your own private clinic and you cannot work at the teaching hospital?

Medicine is not as glamorous as it used to be. That is the blunt truth. Unless you get a placement at the teaching hospitals, it is struggle throughout your life time.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Essentialism(m): 8:12pm On Nov 02, 2019
pls dont think twice. i advice u to go for it. i am in my 40s and at 200L

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by layi(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2019
modified

4 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Michano22: 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2019
kayrichy:

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by donaldking10: 7:07am On Nov 03, 2019
1Sharon:

You mean the universities in ghana aren't accredited?
they are. but their college of medicine certificates ain't valued outside Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Undilutedme: 8:49am On Nov 03, 2019
layi:
I am 38yrs old and in FINAL year medicine here in Nigeria . I have a BSc degree already wit international certifications, a family and a business. I joined 4yrs ago in 200L at age 34
My dear dont think twice. Go for it. Self fulfillment is golden. If i can make it at 38..u can. Send me a private message if u want to meet me
Can I send you a pm??
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Tboysalau(m): 10:40am On Nov 03, 2019
isgombe:

Thank you.
I've guys in their Mid thirties in my set
Two Nurses and one other elder

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Couple Arrested For Invading Their Child’s School With Thugs To Beat Teacher / NERDC Repaints Lagos Office After Social Media User Called Them Out / World's Smallest Girl Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.