Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? (4906 Views)

PHOTO: Celebrating A Policewoman With A Difference / APC Would Make A Difference In Governance Of Nigeria – Amaechi / Wikileaks: "Buhari's Ethnocentrism Would Jeopardize Nigeria's Unity" - Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by EzeUche0(m): 6:51pm On Nov 13, 2010
Tribalism - trib·al·ism

n.
1. The organization, culture, or beliefs of a tribe.
2. A strong feeling of identity with and loyalty to one's tribe or group.

Ethnocentrism - eth·no·cen·trism

n.
1. Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
1. Overriding concern with race.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem that ethnocentrism is worse than tribalism according to the dictionary. People on NL have been using the words the wrong way.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Afam4eva(m): 6:52pm On Nov 13, 2010
What most Nigerians think Tribalism means is actually what Ethnocentrism means. Being a tribalist is not bad. It does not mean you hate other tribes.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by EzeUche0(m): 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2010
afam4eva:

What most Nigerians think Tribalism means is actually what Ethnocentrism means. Being a tribalist is not bad. It does not mean you hate other tribes.

And that is the crux of a matter. I think Dapobear was the first to bring that up in the other discussion. There is nothing with being considered a tribalist. The problem arises when you feel that your ethnic group is superior than another. I see nothing wrong with looking through a tribal lens as it pertains to Nigerian politics.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Katsumoto: 7:06pm On Nov 13, 2010
EzeUche0:

And that is the crux of a matter. I think Dapobear was the first to bring that up in the other discussion. There is nothing with being considered a tribalist. The problem arises when you feel that your ethnic group is superior than another. I see nothing wrong with looking through a tribal lens as it pertains to Nigerian politics.

You are correct but many identify you with ethnocentrism because you have been putting down other groups such as the Ijaw, Yoruba, Ngwa etc. OnlyTruth equally falls in the ethnocentrism camp because he is constantly disparaging other groups and constantly staing Igbo superiority over others.

I believe we should not feel guilty to identify with our tribes and their concommitant cultures, values, morals, etc. Can a Hausa man be a proud Yoruba man? No; he can only be a proud Hausa man.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by EzeUche0(m): 7:12pm On Nov 13, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are correct but many identify you with ethnocentrism because you have been putting down other groups such as the Ijaw, Yoruba, Ngwa etc. OnlyTruth equally falls in the ethnocentrism camp because he is constantly disparaging other groups and constantly staing Igbo superiority over others.

I believe we should not feel guilty to identify with our tribes and their concommitant cultures, values, morals, etc. Can a Hausa man be a proud Yoruba man? No; he can only be a proud Hausa man.

I may have mocked some groups in the past, when my group was attacked, indeed that was not right. However, after I toned that and attacked the leaders, people took that as an assault on their ethnic group. Case in point, my issue with Awolowo. I do not have a favorable opinion of Awolowo, but many of you Awoist took that as an attack on your people. There is a problem when you see people as the epitome of your ethnic group.

And I was only using anecdotal evidence. I do not consider my group superior to others. I have said time and time against that I respect the culture Yoruba and I am fan of your history and artwork. Don't see how I can be an ethnocentrist  with such views. I even said I was admired by the fervour of Uthman dan Fodio as he created the Sokoto Caliphate. He was a leader who turned a backwards tribe into a powerhouse in West Africa.

Concerning the Ngwa, they are not an ethnic group, it is a fellow Igbo clan. There are clan rivalries that exist, so I would not consider them a separate ethnic group, because we are the same people. My clan used to be bitter enemies with the Ngwa, that is why I may have said some disparaging remarks. You still hear people saying that you cannot marry from that clan, because of such and such happened in the past.

Never have I said Igbos are superior to anyone. If you proof have back that I said that, please show me. I would be a fool to think my people are better than another people. It is un-Igbo to think that way, due to our egalitarian nature.

I am a proud Igbo man. Nothing more and nothing less. And I look through Igbo lens, because that is how I was raised, as an Igbo.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Nov 13, 2010
What the heck is an Ibo lens?
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 13, 2010
How many threads have been created since the original one?
Are we a nation of whiners?
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by EzeUche0(m): 7:25pm On Nov 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

An IGBO lens is self-explanatory. Means I am looking out for the best interest of my people.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by EzeUche0(m): 7:25pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Come again?
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Nov 13, 2010
EzeUche0:

An IGBO lens is self-explanatory. Means I am looking out for the best interest of my people.

Sigh!
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by fstranger: 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

\

Yes, we Igbos Ibos Ndigbo Biafrans are a nation of whiners
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by fstranger: 7:30pm On Nov 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ode!
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2010
KoboJ,

Did you at one point in time rejected fstranger's "offer"? Tori, bi o se n tele e yii, nawa oh.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2010
This is nairaland . . .  you get people who busy themselves with your person a lot here.  grin 

I already explained to him who the Odes in this case are.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by bkbabe97y(m): 7:43pm On Nov 13, 2010
To His Excellency;
  The Uber Tribalist.
  King EzeUChe I (aka Baby Hitler The Great)

Dear Sir,

It seems to me, from your latest posts, that the results of the poll (that led to your ascension of Your throne) have really gotten your mind state all fxucked up. This is just my humble opinion.

I would therefore advice his Excellency to get a grip and be the Ikenga warrior that we, your humble subjects, saw in you that led to our fight to ensure that you (and not just any charlatan) ascend the throne of your Biafran forefathers. Nothing wrong in continually spitting your bile against Yorubas/Ijaws/Hausas and co; its too late to relent now, Sir, dont you think? Type your name into Google's search Engine, Sir, and what do you see? Ah. . . You are now in a class occupied only by world renowned despots like Idi Amin, General Tito, Josef Stalin, Pol Pot, Adolf Hitler, Nicolae Ceausescu, Franco and co. Sorry to disappoint you Sir, but, even Your oft reviled Awo did not make the list (Sani Abacha was also conspicuously absent). You made top of the class this year and for this you are sure to be remembered (albeit negatively) by future generations.

In conclusion, Your Excellency, I advise that (instead of this failed-on-arrival attempts at "rebranding" your image that you seem to be attempting with your numerous posts all over NL) you channel your energy towards more of your usual Ibo-propaganda related stuff in order to keep your constituents (Onlytruth, Andre Uweh and co) happy. How else are we expected to know a "true" Ibo man if he's not wrongly criticizing and spreading lies about the Yorubas, advocating death for the Ijaws, and threatening to murder every Hausa on the face of the earth?

Just saying. . . . . . .

Your Humble Subject,
BKbAbe.
Re: Tribalism Vs. Ethnocentrism - Is There A Difference? by becomrich5: 7:49pm On Nov 13, 2010
i learn something new

(1) (Reply)

I Have Not Resigned – Okonjo-iweala! / Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? / Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.