Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide (52531 Views)

FG Names 15 Terrorism Financiers, BDCs, Plans Sanctions / INEC To Tribunal: Atiku’s Lawyer Not Licensed To Practise In Nigeria / FG Names PDP Looters (DAILYTRUST) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by GistCaster: 4:08am On Nov 03, 2019
In a new development to the disagreement between the Federal Government and some local government areas over who has the right to conduct marriages in the country, the Federal Government has published the marriage registries and places it has licensed to conduct statutory marriage across the country.

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Interior, re-emphasised its position that it was the only tier of government permitted by the constitution to regulate and conduct marriages.

It added that formation of statutory marriages was within the exclusive legislative list and that it was the regulatory body for the conduct of statutory marriages and the issuance of marriage certificates.

On its website, the ministry named the 12 registries in 11 states. They are the Federal Marriage Registries in Ikoyi, Lagos State; Abuja, Federal Capital Territory; Benin, Edo State; Owerri, Imo State; Port Harcourt, Rivers State; Kano, Kano State; Jos, Plateau State, Enugu, Enugu; Kaduna, Kaduna; Ibadan, Oyo State; Ikeja, Lagos State, and Makurdi, Benue State.

In an advertorial titled, ‘Public notice on conduct of statutory marriage’, in a newspaper on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry said, “The attention of the Ministry of Interior has been drawn to the publication in the PUNCH Newspaper of Friday, 13th September, 2019, page 42 under the caption, ‘Marriage: Ignore FG’s directive, LGs tell organisations’.

“The Ministry of Interior is therefore constrained to issue this notice in order to properly guide the public on the issue of Statutory Marriages under the applicable law in Nigeria.”

The ministry explained further that it had the responsibility for granting licences to qualified places of worship as well as LGAs that compiled with the provisions of the Act (Sections 4(2) & (5) of the Marriage Act), adding that the ministry had the responsibility to appoint officers to serve as registrars in the Federal Marriage Registries.

The public notice added, “It is observed that the local governments have deliberately misinterpreted powers conferred on them by item 7 (1) of the Fourth Schedule of the constitution.

“For the avoidance of doubt, item 7(1) states that the functions of the Local Government include: registration of all births, deaths and marriages. This provision is clear and requires the local government councils to maintain registries to register births, deaths and marriages for record purposes and planning.”

The ministry, however, warned that any statutory marriage conducted in breach of the Marriage Act, CAP 218, Laws of the Federation 2004 would not serve the desired purpose.

Gist from Gistmore
http://gistmore.com/fg-names-12-registries-licensed-to-conduct-marriages-nationwide

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by GistCaster: 4:08am On Nov 03, 2019
smiley

1 Like

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by cenaman(m): 4:12am On Nov 03, 2019
Slow and getting it right, BUHARI amaka.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Alamu1111: 4:57am On Nov 03, 2019
I wan marry too o

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by segebase(m): 4:58am On Nov 03, 2019
p
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by adexbols: 4:59am On Nov 03, 2019
Emnn
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Duggedised12(f): 4:59am On Nov 03, 2019
Just one center in states,this is just not fair to the masses in terms of convenience.

Imagine having to travel three hours to get to registry within your state lets not even talk of states where you don't have federal marriage registry at all undecided

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Beremx(f): 4:59am On Nov 03, 2019
Oga, open border o! This is least of problems in Nigeria.

No one should call me a smuggler cos I am not. I can't afford to buy a bag of rice for 50k and chicken for 30k a carton by December.

Nonsense!! angry

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Ishilove: 4:59am On Nov 03, 2019
Toh.

1 Like

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by OhBiafra: 5:00am On Nov 03, 2019
cenaman:
Slow and getting it right, BUHARI amaka.
What nonsense? What is he or are they getting right here?

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by toprealman: 5:00am On Nov 03, 2019
Wonder which one was used by that one from Daura in his "marriage" to the humanitarian woman

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by allthingsgood: 5:02am On Nov 03, 2019
Wrong. There is already a Court decision stating that FG has no jurisdiction over marriages. It is not in d exclusive list.

And somebody above me should stop calling buhari. He's not involved here.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by allthingsgood: 5:03am On Nov 03, 2019
toprealman:
Wonder which one was used by that one from Daura in his "marriage" to the humanitarian woman.

This early morning Pls go back to bed

4 Likes

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Edu3Again: 5:03am On Nov 03, 2019
These people want to control every aspect of our lives, the sooner we rid ourselves of them the better.

33 Likes

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by allthingsgood: 5:04am On Nov 03, 2019
Beremx:

No one should call me a smuggler cos I am not. I can't afford to buy a bag of rice for 50k and chicken for 30k a carton by December.

Nonsense!! angry

Close ur mouth there! Unpatriotic folk. Why must u eat importrd product when Nigerian rice is superior

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by mejai(m): 5:06am On Nov 03, 2019
Stupid government, minister, ministry and policy.
Always reasoning without a thinking cap.
In a country with large population and bad roads, why can't they make it 36 centres?
So couples to be will travel from one unlisted state to the nearest listed state to register their marriage?
My anger keeps rising everyday for this country.

See buhari travelling round the world, forcing us to patronize local rice and others, yet he is enjoying oyibo cuisines. Stupid skeleton!!!

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by kokomilala(m): 5:08am On Nov 03, 2019
No! It's not the duty of the FG to conduct marriages. That duty is vested in the local authorities.

3 Likes

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Jrevelation(m): 5:10am On Nov 03, 2019
Don't buy rice now before December 25 rice price will to 10k per bag ..
Roger that

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Chubhie: 5:13am On Nov 03, 2019
12 centres for over 100 million young adults....

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 03, 2019
Beremx:
[s]Oga, open border o! This is least of problems in Nigeria.

Nonsense!![/s] angry

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by chloride6: 5:15am On Nov 03, 2019
Beremx:

Nonsense!! angry

Border is open na...

Only land borders are closed..

Rice can still come in through TINCAN or Apapa...

Price of rice will still fall market just needs to adjust to the supply shock..

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by SolarRen(m): 5:19am On Nov 03, 2019
Misplaced priority

2 Likes

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by engrhorla(m): 5:20am On Nov 03, 2019
Beremx:

Nonsense!! angry

Don't just worry

Buy land with Adron Homes

You get gift of rice and turkey, chicken or goat depending on how much you pay

Call 07031168455. You can reach me in WhatsApp via same number... distance is never an issue ��

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Simongm(m): 5:32am On Nov 03, 2019
So the one in my local government is fake, right?
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by MusaChukwudi: 5:35am On Nov 03, 2019
Duggedised12:
Just one center in states,this is just not fair to the masses in terms of convenience.

Imagine having to travel three hours to get to registry within your state lets not even talk of states where you don't have federal marriage registry at all undecided

The impoverished masses getting married is a cause for concern seeing that they end up littering the country with unproductive and angry human beings. Na war ooooo!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Caseless: 5:43am On Nov 03, 2019
lol
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Zither(m): 5:43am On Nov 03, 2019
The Federal Government is acting in excess of the powers conferred upon it by the Constitution. The Constitution is crystal clear on the issue of the arm of government with powers to register marriages in the nation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Zither(m): 5:44am On Nov 03, 2019
It appears the Federal Government has erroneously misinterpreted the provision in Section 61 of Part 1 of the second Schedule of the 1999 Constitution which states that:

The formation, annulment and dissolution of marriages other than marriages under Islamic law and Customary law including matrimonial causes relating thereto.

Here, it said nothing about the powers of the Federal Government to register marriages. What this provision means is that the Federal Government has the power to make laws as regards the formation, annulment and dissolution of marriages to the exclusion of Islamic and Customary marriages.

Section 1 (i) of the Fourth Schedule of the 1999 Constitution provides that the Local Government shall have the power to register all births, deaths and marriages. In other words, the power of registration falls within the jurisdiction of the Local Government.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by otipoju(m): 5:45am On Nov 03, 2019
This should be the jurisdiction of the local government. Meaning there should be at least 774 marriage specific courts.

9 Likes

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 03, 2019
The FG is confused and I don't blame them...when the protector of our Constitution is a soldier without cert shocked shocked shocked :I

Make I close mouth

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dog Dies Fighting Suicide Bomber At Maiduguri Wedding Party / Dino Melaye Escapes Assassination Attempt In Kogi As Gunmen Invade His Home / APC. Wins 19 States, Leading In Four Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.