Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion (32903 Views)

Atiku Vs Tinubu Vs Obi How They Stand On National Development Benchmarks / How They Stand In The Race For Senate: Apc 61 Pdp 33 Ypp 1 / Angry Nigerian Blast Lai Muhammad Over N3.5million E-lzakzakky Feeding (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Blue3k(m): 11:57am On Nov 03, 2019
nototribalist:
the so-called corridor was promised to decieve the Ghanaian ministers, one month down the line where is the corridor?

Ghana should have sense for ones, una mumuu don too much

Lol says the poverty capital of world. You weirdos already agreed. If you guys are just liars just say so. Its the Nigerian economy that going to take the major hit not Ghana's due to border closure.

Notatribalist:
what is ecowas without Nigeria?

High growth economies without boko haram.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
vaxx2:
Do you know what will have been those company revenue if there is constant supply of electricity to their company? Do you know how many Nigerians will be working there if more revenue is forth coming? The failure to power Nigeria is the reason unemployment is skyrocketing. how can I employed more when i run lots of cash fuelling my industrial generator with monthly maintenance.

my friend stop talking out of ignorance, power is only a factor if fuel is a significant portion of your input costs. Not every industry is heavily geared to power as an input cost. No doubt power is a factor for some industries but interest rates, poor bank lending, smuggled goods are bigger impediments to the majority of industries than power. So stop making blanket statements
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Area4Area: 12:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
LabDNA:

At what cost? If I export wears from Aba to Cameroon which is just a few kilometers away from Aba after paying the required duties at the border post, how do I survive if I'd have to move the same goods from Aba to Lagos just to export it through sea or Air to next door Cameroun? Since the land borders are closed and the PH port is moribund. Does it sound like a sustainable idea to you?

Be realistic!
Calabar port is there and open for business, the closure is not permanent, let those leeching countries sought themselves out
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by olril17(m): 12:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
sonature1:

The way you go about criticizing this border closure, it seems you are badly affected.

Well, all I care about is that Buhari should fix power if he wants to keep the borders closed.
exactly
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Area4Area: 12:02pm On Nov 03, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Have youths in Nigeria not been into poultry since ? Even as an 8 year old I ran my own poultry and sold chickens so stop this nonsense talk ..
More had moved into it as we speak
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by vaxx2: 12:03pm On Nov 03, 2019
isthatso:

my friend stop talking out of ignorance, power is only a factor if fuel is a significant portion of your input costs. Not every industry is heavily geared to power as an input cost. No doubt power is a factor for some industries but interest rates, poor bank lending, smuggled goods are bigger impediments to the majority of industries than power. So stop making blanket statements
once you can reason let me know?

without electricity infrastructure, your industrialization agenda is in jeopardy.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 12:03pm On Nov 03, 2019
Rafiq2:

You think say over 180 million customers na beans, what are the other west African countries making that we can't make here. let the smugglers become more creative, we will also become more efficient. in fact, let's be totally alienated from all these west African nations, they have being nothing but burdens & problems to us. We have the manpower, all we need is the zeal to move forward, which am sure suffering will help us achieve it

Mr BUSINESSARENAA no be only you got stuff trap for border, stop showing selfishness.

I don't blame you, you have not ran business in this country, probably you are a salary earner or you are being spoon fed.

No nation is totally independent when it comes to trade, not even USA, you must import and export that's called trade balancing.

Your myopic brain and mind did not also realise that what am bringing in is a raw materials for a finished goods meant for export from Nigeria.

Stop reasoning like cow please, and spare me your dwarf reasoning by getting off my mention.

You don't know how much loss I have incurred in this mess.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Notatribalist(m): 12:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
Blue3k:

Lol when does Nigeria do anything with haste. You already agreed to do it so its just a matter of time. Its funny how you weidodforgotten how Nigeria went crying over deportation and shop closures it seems this border closue judt an ego trip.

Lol the corrupt Nigerian official lied to Ghana? To use any corridor you would need Ghanaian license they can't enter. Ghana also has to submit list of companies. Benin wouldn't be dumb enough to engage in tariff war with ghana. Maybe Nigeria would do something dumb like that without considering retaliatory tariff that makes their situation worse.

Lol hypocrites always exposes themselves. You want these same foreign companies to invest in Nigeria so you export products to ECOWAS nations. You think closing your land borders is how to attract foreign investors?
Ecowas without Nigeria is as good as nothing, so we have the bargaining power. Why do you think ecowas have not issue any statement since the border closure started?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Sammysparkcutie: 12:08pm On Nov 03, 2019
If the federal government cannot come up with lasting solution in tackling insecurities on all our land borders, it should be closed.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 12:08pm On Nov 03, 2019
Notatribalist:
The timing of the border closure is bad, but the idea is good. Those products you are importing from Mali are they made in Mali? Probably a foreign company produces it in Mali with Nigeria market as mail target. That's the issue the gorverment is trying to solve. Let the companies come and Establish in Nigeria and create jobs for our people.

The product am bringing from Mali is from Mali.
The hides is from camels skin, I go to Mali and join them in roasting it, with fire and then later with the high intensity sun found in the area, its not something you just come and buy ready made , if not they will sell rubbish to you, as you won't get the desired quality, so to a large extent, I am involved in the processing of those hides and skin.

This is also a raw materials for other finished goods in Nigeria that are exported, that's the irony of the whole thing.

This policy is a poor policy, it is not good for the economy of the nation.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Area4Area: 12:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
Blue3k:

Lol when does Nigeria do anything with haste. You already agreed to do it so its just a matter of time. Its funny how you weidodforgotten how Nigeria went crying over deportation and shop closures it seems this border closue judt an ego trip.

Lol the corrupt Nigerian official lied to Ghana? To use any corridor you would need Ghanaian license they can't enter. Ghana also has to submit list of companies. Benin wouldn't be dumb enough to engage in tariff war with ghana. Maybe Nigeria would do something dumb like that without considering retaliatory tariff that makes their situation worse.

Lol hypocrites always exposes themselves. You want these same foreign companies to invest in Nigeria so you export products to ECOWAS nations. You think closing your land borders is how to attract foreign investors?
Story for the gods, tell us who signed for the corridor from both sides.

Very soon your factories will start relocating to Nigeria because Nigeria has been their target market, we've sent them a serious message already
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
vaxx2:
once you can reason let me know?

without electricity infrastructure, your industrialization agenda is in jeopardy.

so how do you explain the industries producing today?

get a brain. if you can run your plants on diesel and still make a profit, lack of electricity will not halt your business, have you ever heard that cocacola or guiness or Unilever are leaving Nigeria because there is no electricity? is it not this same no light Nigeria that indomie set up in 1989 and became what they are? There are some industries that cannot survive on Generators, e.g those requiring furnaces but ......not every manufacturing industry is the same.

only a fo0l makes blanket statements like that in an attempt to sound knowledgeable.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by nototribalist: 12:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
Blue3k:

Lol says the poverty capital of world. You weirdos already agreed. If you guys are just liars just say so. Its the Nigerian economy that going to take the major hit not Ghana's due to border closure.

Una go suffer this Christmas, our borders are closed for life. Thieves.

Ghana and South Africa are two xenophobic countries that we will use this border closure to deal with. Fools

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Japhet31: 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
Chubhie:
To imagine that customs went to town celebrating that they made 3 billion daily by shutting the border. Why not get smart scanners and search for arms and rice instead of shutting down the whole economy of West Africa?

This crude approach have no place in a modern society. This is counter productive both in the short, medium and long terms.

I totally agree with you on thus.. hopefully we'll come up with a better plan soon

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Area4Area: 12:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
Gilgil:

How about Customs effectively holding the land borders? That's what they are meant to do right? If they fail that one mission, then they should give the job to those who can handle it.

No one is talking about the inefficiencies and poor job they are doing. Rather they just close borders
We are taking our time, na small small.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by lexy2014: 12:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
They and even you know them.

Am not aware that any country is leeching Nigeria. Am sure u can mention those countries and how they are doing it
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 12:17pm On Nov 03, 2019
luminouz:

Use the inland dry ports or any sea port of your choice. Its because the thing dey affect you that's why you are shouting. So you'd rather your hides spoil at land borders than use the seaports? SMH

Nigerians are very selfish creatures, its always about their personal gains,never looking at the long term effect and funny enough,they are always the first to blame the government on every little thing

Which inland dry port, I was hoping you mention specifically the inland dry porta and the routes, that why I have to state clearly where my goods are coming from, so that anybody that wants to counter will come up with a smart and specific idea , but no.

Tell me specifically the dry ports and how to use them, from Mali, please be very detailed in your explanation about that, the time it takes, the process, cost to etc, my market is in Onitsha.

Also remember these things have a time frame it will be under a confined environment and it will loose quality and this loosing value.

Yes I am speaking out because it affects me, I am loosing millions so I should shout out, you know what that means to loose millions in this hard times?

You people did not also realise that this is also a raw materials for other finished goods that are being exported.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by lexy2014: 12:17pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
Seaports and airports for now
What is wrong with d land borders?

Y don't they (textile importers) pay d correct duties? Who collects d incorrect duties from them? What is d job of d customs? Are there no customs officials at d borders?
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Area4Area: 12:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
Blue3k:

Allow the Nigerian economy to suffer and stop begging us to open our borders to your crappy goods, we know Ghana is the richest country in the world
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by vaxx2: 12:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
isthatso:

so how do you explain the industries producing today?

get a brain. if you can run your plants on diesel and still make a profit, lack of electricity will not halt your business, have you ever heard that cola or guiness or Unilever are leaving Nigeria because there is no electricity? There are some industries that cannot survive on Generators, e.g those requiring furnaces but not every industry is the same.
The only problem with you is your porous thinking. Do you know how many workers will have been working with Guinness, Coca-Cola and the others you mentioned . Do you know how many they will have employed assuming there is no additional money going for diesel and petrol? the extra cost will have been used to empower more staffs and bring in more employment therefore contributing to the nation pulse thru tax and other incentives.

You stupidly think any country can develop with poor electricity infrastructure ? unilever product are mostly from Ghana
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 12:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
Honor10:

I know u are an enemy of Nigeria, I am not surprise, the border remain close, go hug transformer. Enough of smuggling
They're actually saying the truth. Some African countries have banned importation of goods from Nigeria, it's telling on our economy. Also, you dont expect someone importing from other African countries to use the ports, do you?
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by lexy2014: 12:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
Those complaining about the border closure;

Asian rice farmers and their governments,

Nigerian importers and smugglers or those related or close to them,

ECOWAS states governments especially Benin, Togo, Cameroun, Ghana and Niger involved in smuggling into Nigeria because of loss of revenue,
She could fall into any of those categories.

Any genuine importer into Nigeria should use the seaports and airports for now till those leeching countries sought themselves out.

All u have said has no relevance with d questions I asked which are:

"Is it only smugglers that use d land borders? Do smugglers not also use air and sea ports?"
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by leokid866: 12:21pm On Nov 03, 2019
SarkinYarki:

I live in Lekki Phase 1 and I have 24 hours electricity which I run by myself .No I have never heard of redeemed camp in my life and nothing will carry me to that part of Lagos .. When you can buy a property in Lekki phase one come back let's talk . Don't even go there with me because I am sure before I finish typing this I have made your monthly income.. I have never bought a second car in my life and I have given people cars and I swear none was second hand . You are too dull for my liking

No you are dumb and stupid despite having Google as a friend....I can tell you are a jjc squatting in your guys house in lekki....so please sit and Google the redemption camp....when you have more sense come for me....till then stay out my lane you fake ass...dead ass...broke aSS dumb f*ck.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
vaxx2:
The only problem with you is your porous thinking. Do you know how many workers will have been working with guineas, Coca-Cola and the others you mentioned will have employed assuming there is no additional money go for diesel and petrol? the extra cost will have been used to empower more staffs and bring in more employment therefore contributing to the nation pulse thru tax and other incentives.

You stupidly think any country can develop with poor electricity infrastructure ? unilever product are mostly from Ghana

you are the fool because you keep making senseless arguments because you have already made up your mind where you are going and so did not take time to read what i wrote.

where did i say a country can move forward with poor electricity infrastructure? you either show the post or apologise.

What I said if you care to read again is lack of electricity is NOT A DEAL BREAKER for ALL manufacturing industries. Some yes, some no. Go back and learn English comprehension again!!!

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by IamAtikulate: 12:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
LazyGold:

You this fanatic Igbo catholic

Typical Osu Pig

Your wailing and frustration just begin cheesy

Cry harder Pig, our border remain close
Says a lazy Yoruba Moslem. Close or open borders, e no consign me
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by renewable1(m): 12:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
Really! Sai baba

8 HOURS ELECTRICITY DAILY FROM THE SUN.. CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by lexy2014: 12:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
isthatso:

when you see a retard, a madman, a trouble maker, it's best to avoid them or they will just waste your time. All your questions have been answered. You just want to be argumentative. Find someone else! some people are more interested in argument that the argument.

What exactly is my argument if I may ask? I asked u questions. Or don't u no d difference between questions and an argument? U don't need to get emotional as those were very simple questions that u couldn't answer but got d better of u
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Notatribalist(m): 12:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
BUSINESSARENAA:

The product am bringing from Mali is from Mali.
The hides is from camels skin, I go to Mali and join them in roasting it, with fire and then later with the high intensity sun found in the area, its not something you just come and buy ready made , if not they will sell rubbish to you, as you won't get the desired quality, so to a large extent, I am involved in the processing of those hides and skin.

This is also a raw materials for other finished goods in Nigeria that are exported, that's the irony of the whole thing.

This policy is a poor policy, it is not good for the economy of the nation.
i feel really sad for you bro because I was also into exportation business,realy sorry about this. But in all honesty Nigeria will benefit on a long run. Have you heard of MLM companies like GNLD,TIASHI,HERBALIFE and Co? When they are coming to Africa their first destination is Ghana, and funny enough they survive in Ghana because of Nigeria market.Ghana markets are just Accra and Kumasi, that's all.. So if the borders are closed this companies will have no choice then to come straight to Nigeria, because that's where the real market is.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Just30: 12:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
Notatribalist:
what is ecowas without Nigeria?
ECOWAS without nigeria is a union bound for success

Afrter all, all the major treaties in ECOWAS are brought by Ghana
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2019
Detour00:
You suggest a better of stopping rice smuggling.

I should suggest better ways of stopping rice smuggling?

First of all Buhari has Ministers, aides and special advisers who he pays bogus salaries and allowances, what exactly are they being paid for it they can't think of smart ideas to run the economy?

Secondly if they come up with smart ideas will the President adopt them?
Those are the questions you should answer first.

Back to your question.

How about using drones and helicopters to police our borders, this 21st century for crying out loud and technology has really made everything easy..

Use drones and police, if you see any suspicious movement which entails smuggling, use the helicopters and pursue the culprits, arrest them and prosecute them.

Do this effectively and consistently for six months and see smugglers abandon their stock in trade, but no they will not.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Notatribalist(m): 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2019
Just30:
ECOWAS without nigeria is a union bound for success

Afrter all, all the major treaties in ECOWAS are brought by Ghana
Then go ahead with your success and leave Nigeria out of this.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by vaxx2: 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2019
isthatso:

you are the fool because you keep making senseless arguments because you have already made up your mind where you are going and so did not take time to read what i wrote.

where did i say a country can move forward with poor electricity infrastructure? you either show the post or apologise.

What I said if you care to read again is lack of electricity is NOT A DEAL BREAKER for ALL manufacturing industries. Some yes, some no. Go back and learn English comprehension again!!!
And i said you are stupid with such reasoning? electricity is the major infrastructure for any industry. the demand at which it is used may vary . be it minimal or optimal from basic computer to advance warehouse, all need the presence of electricity for smooth buisness running, so foolishly saying a lack of electricity is not a ""deal broker"" shows you are stupid yourself.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Buhari Defends $1.9 Billion Nigeria-Niger Republic Railway Project / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / APC Governor Bought Presidential Forms For Jonathan - Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.