Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January (51202 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Promises To Open Borders If Elected. / Bless Nigeria No NWO Open Borders / Meet The Poor People Paid N5000 Every Month By Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 03, 2019
When Buhari goes to his private visit to UK, it is coded cover story for being summoned by white neocolonialist globalist.
I predicted that he would be forced to reopen the borders.
Noel1:
Does it mean Nigeria has achieved her objective of becoming self sufficient in rice production so soon? undecided

I don't get it...

What was d main objective?
What has Nigeria achieved?
What next?
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by adekolaelect(m): 8:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
deepwater:
Below was my post on this thread weeks ago - 11OCT 2019

https://www.nairaland.com/5465156/border-closure-daily-pms-consumption#83037303

truth is that most nigerians are new to the internet and react newly to things that has been happening for ages!
it pains some people when they see the Christians celebrate heavily at yuletide season, one way to stop this is to instill hardship by closing the borders....

as earlier mentioned, argue with your talisman grin

Religions bigot is killing this one . Is it the only Christians eating Rice in Nigeria? Can you tell us if there is any festive when Buhari started borders closure ? Who give you assurance that the border will be open by that 31 of 2020? Are you telling us Rice is the only food Christians eat during Christmas ?must you people put everything on a Religions sentiment ?

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by grandstar(m): 9:03pm On Nov 03, 2019
PHIPEX:
What have we achieved by the closure except suffering for the masses. An unnecessary and irrational decision.

That's primarily what it has achieved. That's 90% of its achievement
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by grandstar(m): 9:05pm On Nov 03, 2019
Xisnin:

The border closure has nothing to do with rice smuggling.
The government needed a quick money generating scheme and that was why the border was closed.
Rice was just collateral damage.

The primary reason was rice
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by grandstar(m): 9:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
Just30:
how far with the increase in food prices in your country ?

your are wasting your time
Ghana is ever progressing

next year poverty figures will increase by 25% in your country grin grin

As much as I condemn the despicable and counterproductive border close, the action will have a disproportionate effect on Ghana.

Nigeria takes in lots of non traditional exports from Ghana as one of your ministers have said. Many of these products are manufactured goods. Manufacturing is a Labour intensive sector. It may also discourage manufacturers from setting up plants in Ghana.

Ghana vibrant economy would be affected. It will definitely reduce your economic growth rate this year, but not at a devastating level
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
I predicted it.
GenBuhari:
If so here is what we can expect to witness in coming days weeks or and months.

Return of PMB's mystery illness and handing power to Osinbajo

Possible premature truncation of Buhari's tenure as president.

Reopening of borders.

Return of proscribed IPOB terrorist leader Nnomby. Rise in hate speech and tribal tensions

Upsurge of Boko Haram / "herdsmen" attacks

Let us pray it is not so, May the gods of our land help us.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by grandstar(m): 9:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
Just30:
how far with the increase in food prices in your country ?

your are wasting your time
Ghana is ever progressing

next year poverty figures will increase by 25% in your country grin grin

how much is a bag of rice in Ghana?I want to compare it with the Nigerian price

I would like to know the price of s bag of cement

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 03, 2019
I predicted it.
GenBuhari:
If so here is what we can expect to witness in coming days weeks or and months.

Return of PMB's mystery illness and handing power to Osinbajo

Possible premature truncation of Buhari's tenure as president.

Reopening of borders.

Return of proscribed IPOB terrorist leader Nnomby. Rise in hate speech and tribal tensions

Upsurge of Boko Haram / "herdsmen" attacks

Let us pray it is not so, May the gods of our land help us.

https://www.nairaland.com/5506293/buhari-private-uk-visit-border
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Xisnin(m): 9:40pm On Nov 03, 2019
grandstar:

The primary reason was rice
If the reason was rice.
The border would never be opened until there is local sufficiency and lower prices.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Dessyguy(m): 9:50pm On Nov 03, 2019
Just30:
grin grin grin grin grin

you sound funny and stupid at the same time grin grin grin grin grin grin

Can you explain why the prices of food is only increasing in your country Nigeria since the border closure
and there are shortages everywhere ?

meanwhile, all the economies in West Africa have not even noticed your border closure ?

leave them. This border issue is less discussed in Ghana. The first time I saw this border closure with Nigerians taunting Ghanaians was on nairaland. I always read and laugh. how is this affecting Ghanaians?? Nigerians can do better than this.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Just30: 9:52pm On Nov 03, 2019
grandstar:

how much is a bag of rice in Ghana?I want to compare it with the Nigerian price

I would like to know the price of s bag of cement
50KG bag of rice is 240 cedis
50KG local rice is 190 cedis

Bag of cement is between 23 and 27 cedis
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Just30: 9:59pm On Nov 03, 2019
grandstar:

As much as I condemn the despicable and counterproductive border close, the action will have a disproportionate effect on Ghana.

Nigeria takes in lots of non traditional exports from Ghana as one of your ministers have said. Many of these products are manufactured goods. Manufacturing is a Labour intensive sector. It may also discourage manufacturers from setting up plants in Ghana.

Ghana vibrant economy would be affected. It will definitely reduce your economic growth rate this year, but not at a devastating level

actually it will not

because Ghana export more to other neighbouring countries than to nigeria

and whiles demand for the same commodities will not come from Nigeria, the Ghanaian market can easily gulp those products because there are shortages of the same products all the time in Ghana.

the companies that export to Nigeria from here are usually free zones companies
by law, they are supposed to export 75% of their produce

meaning, though there are demands for those products in Ghana
Only 25% of their produce is available.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by owbabs: 10:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
Noel1:
Does it mean Nigeria has achieved her objective of becoming self sufficient in rice production so soon? undecided

I don't get it...

What was d main objective?
What has Nigeria achieved?
What next?

Nigeria is a joke

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by MUMUdom: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
how much exports from Ghana to nigeria are we talking about? is it the $100 million exports from Ghana to nigeria that "will reduce Ghana's economic growth?" I don't get it. $100 million in Ghana's exports represents about 0.0001 percent of Ghana's exports. Is that the one that "will reduce Ghana's economic growth?" very funny, walahi grin

grandstar:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by MUMUdom: 10:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
it is worse than that, trust me grin

owbabs:

Nigeria is a joke
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Lifesnatcher(m): 11:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
what have the government got to achieve with this by putting people into sufferness and hardship. oh my God who knows how much abikiliki rice will be sold by now. undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by MUMUdom: 11:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
noisy nigerians grin I guess the Ghanaian government should be considering nationalizing all nigerian interests in Ghana. take over their struggling banks and inept glo shit grin that is when they will learn sense. they dont want ghanaian exports, we too we dont want nigerian companies in GHANA. Nothing spoil na . nigerians companies are making profits to feed people back in nigeria and yet these ingrates are talking crass trash.

the south africa treatment is what these mudder fuggerz need in Ghana grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by grandstar(m): 12:26am On Nov 04, 2019
Just30:
50KG bag of rice is 240 cedis
50KG local rice is 190 cedis

Bag of cement is between 23 and 27 cedis

thanks
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Ken4Christ: 1:28am On Nov 04, 2019
By then, his aboki brothers should have made enough money doing rice farm. Why do we think Buhari has no rice farm also?
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Area4Area: 1:48am On Nov 04, 2019
MUMUdom:
how much exports from Ghana to nigeria are we talking about? is it the $100 million exports from Ghana to nigeria that "will reduce Ghana's economic growth?" I don't get it. $100 million in Ghana's exports represents about 0.0001 percent of Ghana's exports. Is that the one that "will reduce Ghana's economic growth?" very funny, walahi grin

https://tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/exports/ghana

https://tradingeconomics.com/ghana/exports/nigeria

You can see that our exports to Ghana is more of semifinished and finished products while that of Ghana to Nigeria is mostly primary goods.

We export more to Ghana and are supposed to be crying more but surprisingly Ghana has been crying and begging for Africa.

We have alternative sources for our imports from Ghana because we produce it too but Ghana would need to import from other countries because they can't produce them...underdeveloped economy.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Area4Area: 2:00am On Nov 04, 2019
MUMUdom:
noisy nigerians grin I guess the Ghanaian government should be considering nationalizing all nigerian interests in Ghana. take over their struggling banks and inept glo shit grin that is when they will learn sense. they dont want ghanaian exports, we too we dont want nigerian companies in GHANA. Nothing spoil na . nigerians companies are making profits to feed people back in nigeria and yet these ingrates are talking crass trash.

the south africa treatment is what these mudder fuggerz need in Ghana grin
I thought that the news about Buhari giving you a January 31st deadline should've cooled you down, we've told you already to shut your borders to Nigerian goods, close down our shops with your GUTTER.
Start the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and we'd teach you guys more lesson.
Hope your beggarly ministers are off to Accra to return in January to start another round of begging.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Just30: 7:38am On Nov 04, 2019
Area4Area:

https://tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/exports/ghana

https://tradingeconomics.com/ghana/exports/nigeria

You can see that our exports to Ghana is more of semifinished and finished products while that of Ghana to Nigeria is mostly primary goods.

We export more to Ghana and are supposed to be crying more but surprisingly Ghana has been crying and begging for Africa.

We have alternative sources for our imports from Ghana because we produce it too but Ghana would need to import from other countries because they can't produce them...underdeveloped economy.
grin grin grin grin
there is something wrong with you grin grin grin grin

natural gas
and crude are finish goods?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by 7lives: 8:33am On Nov 04, 2019
awoluyi:
Almost all the comments concerning borders closure focus attention on rice and nothing else. Should everything be about stomach?
I remember Fela's record, "Jęun koku."
Intelligent and thinking people would have looked at the positive sides of this policy if there are any and at the same time highlight temporary hardships the policy may impose on the citizens.
It is unfortunate that some people are
checking their blood pressure on 3rd November because of what they will eat on Christmas day (25th December ).
Haha!

Why do you think this country is backward?.
All that Nigerians know is food and enjoyment
Anyone who tries to get them to think, plan and save becomes an enemy.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Kpoikpoi: 9:01am On Nov 04, 2019
id911:
You close borders but you continue to pay customs their salaries and the CG Of Customs, whose duty is to check smuggling along the borders, has not been sack. Why not disband the Nigeria Customs Service since they have failed in their duties to police the borders and close the borders indefinitely? Using archaic method to solve contemporary problems can't solve anything but will rather aggravate it.
Very useless Government
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by 7lives: 9:03am On Nov 04, 2019
Ken4Christ:
By then, his aboki brothers should have made enough money doing rice farm. Why do we think Buhari has no rice farm also?

Did anyone stop you from owning a rice farm?..
Did the government place a ban on rice importation, bring your rice through the ports and pay the duties.
Buhari is even too Nice closing the border against smugglers, i will order a shoot at sight on them if I have such power.
A country that cannot feed itself cannot grow, farming is the only available option to people who have no skill or education, you want farmers to produce and and end up selling at loss?.
The foreign rice that you prefer, the people who produced them are not related to you are they?.
Eat Nigerian rice, produce your own rice too, we go buy and chop am.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Kpoikpoi: 9:06am On Nov 04, 2019
See how stupid you are?
If we sack Nigerian custom and close the boarders who is going to enforce the closure of the boarders?
Your father?
Some of you think it's easy to lead a country, every time you open your mouth sh*t comes out but you have no solution to the problem.
Go back to your Kai Kai, you are drunk.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by MUMUdom: 11:47am On Nov 04, 2019
i hope you nigerians have recovered from the flogging south africans gave you mudder fuggerz grin grin Ghana's own will go sweet pass grin grin between Ghana and nigeria, we will see who will lose out grin grin grin grin which Ghanaian assets will mudder fuggerz attacks in their zoo? are there visible nigerian assets in Ghana? grin grin grin grin fuckeduppedmess grin hope you wont be laughing on the wrong side of your mouth grin grin grin grin grin grin

Alas! Nigeria imports sawdust grin
Published August 28, 2019
KINDLY SHARE THIS STORY

According to Trading Economics, imports to Nigeria surged 48% year-on-year to N943.6bn in December 2018, mainly driven by purchases of manufactured goods that took the chunk of 88.3% and raw materials, a meagre 12.5%. The implication of the minute 12.5% in raw materials import is that Nigeria is extremely poor in value addition, meaning that as a nation, we are lacking in simple and complex industries that helped in the transformation of other economies. An example is the huge importation of our cocoa beans by the USA and the UK; no matter how the huge import bills may be, those countries are the richer for it because what they have imported is for value addition.

This scenario of unbridled import of finished products was aptly captured by the many super stores daily springing up in urban centres in Nigeria. A walk through these stores will make the patriotic citizen heave a forlorn sigh and wonder if the nation will ever be free from the imports of the biggest technologies like airplanes and ships to the import of minute technologies like matches and toothpicks. I was in such a mood when in a store in remote Akure, I saw imported sawdust on the shelf. I felt shocked to the marrows and dragged my colleague who was shopping with me to come and see what I saw. Sawdust! He exclaimed. I went back the following day to buy a pack for N1,299. It was to show to unbelieving Nigerians and lift it up to God to plead, “Save your people O! Lord.” That is if God in His benevolence interferes in such pedestrian matters. It is bad enough that Nigeria imports common banana and other exotic fruits into the country, but sawdust?

What was the selling point of this imported sawdust from France? The details on the pack claimed that the sawdust was made from old wine barrels and as such when it is used to roast meats, the aroma of the wine that the barrels had soaked over the years of using it for storage will flavour the meat. In simple terms what the French had done for us was a very simple “waste to wealth”; old wine barrels that would have been stacked somewhere until they decompose or taken to French rural areas to be used for winter fire were carefully converted into sawdust, neatly packaged and shipped to Nigeria and maybe other countries that have the “taste” for “luxury” and “class”.

READ ALSO: Nigeria, a laughing stock in oil business — Petroleum minister
Sawdust seems to be a recurring encounter for me. Some years back, as an employee of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce & Industry, we hosted a business delegation from South Africa. One of them had told me, “Akin I saw on the long Bridge, how your country is burning money.” I had wondered if they came through the Niger Delta and my answer was “O! our gas flaring”, not knowing that he was talking about what he saw in Oko Baba, that strip on the Lagoon around Ebute-Ero when one is going to the Island through the Third Mainland Bridge where the bulk of saw-milling in Lagos takes place. What he saw was sawdust being burnt into ashes as a way of disposing the easily accumulated dust. He had told me that all we needed was a machine that could convert the sawdust into briquettes, and we have in our hands simple export commodities. The big question till today is, where is the technology and where are the entrepreneurs to make it happen? We all probably want to export crude oil. Where is the government’s will to boost Nigeria’s export at all costs? Those that have the money to import briquette-making machines would rather import state of the art fuel dispensing machines, build mega petrol filling stations to log into the dying but still lucrative petro-chemical industry in Nigeria. No wonder the landscape is filled up with fuel filling stations, where some, out of extreme poverty come to dispense N100 gasoline just to power their “I better pass my neighbour” generator to charge their phones and have a one-hour feel of civilisation.

[s]
Area4Area:
I thought that the news about Buhari giving you a January 31st deadline should've cooled you down, we've told you already to shut your borders to Nigerian goods, close down our shops with your GUTTER.
Start the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and we'd teach you guys more lesson.
Hope your beggarly ministers are off to Accra to return in January to start another round of begging.
[/s]

Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Ken4Christ: 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2019
7lives:

Did anyone stop you from owning a rice farm?..
Did the government place a ban on rice importation, bring your rice through the ports and pay the duties.
Buhari is even too Nice closing the border against smugglers, i will order a shoot at sight on them if I have such power.
A country that cannot feed itself cannot grow, farming is the only available option to people who have no skill or education, you want farmers to produce and and end up selling at loss?.
The foreign rice that you prefer, the people who produced them are not related to you are they?.
Eat Nigerian rice, produce your own rice too, we go buy and chop am.

You are as dull as your leaders. If he is really interested in you, he should also ensure that the price of local rice is regulated. People are already facing untold hardship and you are making them pay more for a poor quality rice.

He should also ban importation of refined fuel which is what is actually consuming the bulk of our foreign exchange.

He should also ban importation of keke na pep which is making India rich and Nigeria poorer by loss of foreign exchange.

He should also ban products like cooking stove and many other things that can be produced locally.

This government I repeat those not have your interest at heart. A president whose daily budget for refreshment alone aside foodstuffs is N68,000 will never feel the pains of the people. Yet people are starving in our IDP camps.

His budget for transport for 2020 is 750 million for local traveling and 1.75 billion for international traveling. And minimum wage of 30k is difficult to implement.

If this was Facebook, I would have blocked you. I can't stand people who can't reason rationally.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by 7lives: 7:32am On Nov 08, 2019
Ken4Christ:

You are as dull as your leaders. If he is really interested in you, he should also ensure that the price of local rice is regulated. People are already facing untold hardship and you are making them pay more for a poor quality rice.

He should also ban importation of refined fuel which is what is actually consuming the bulk of our foreign exchange.

He should also ban importation of keke na pep which is making India rich and Nigeria poorer by loss of foreign exchange.

He should also ban products like cooking stove and many other things that can be produced locally.

This government I repeat those not have your interest at heart. A president whose daily budget for refreshment alone aside foodstuffs is N68,000 will never feel the pains of the people. Yet people are starving in our IDP camps.

His budget for transport for 2020 is 750 million for local traveling and 1.75 billion for international traveling. And minimum wage of 30k is difficult to implement.

If this was Facebook, I would have blocked you. I can't stand people who can't reason rationally.

Eat local rice and stop all these stories, if government cannot pay 30k minimum wage people can get jobs in the private establishments.
But when private establishments are not allowed to flourish by smugglers, na to dey cry for 30k sure pass.
While people who hawk drinks around here saves 2k daily, idle capacities in government office are crying for 30k, radarada, your life is what you make it.
Re: Nigerian Government to Open Borders Next January by Ken4Christ: 10:00pm On Nov 08, 2019
7lives:

Eat local rice and stop all these stories, if government cannot pay 30k minimum wage people can get jobs in the private establishments.
But when private establishments are not allowed to flourish by smugglers, na to dey cry for 30k sure pass.
While people who hawk drinks around here saves 2k daily, idle capacities in government office are crying for 30k, radarada, your life is what you make it.

I didn't complain about eating local rice. My concern is the price. Why make your people already suffering pay more when your intention is to help them?

He should also ban foreign medical tourism and equip our hospitals.

He should stop putting on foreign shoes and let the Abba shoe maker produce his shoes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

House Of Reps Speaker, Tajudeen Yusuf Visits Buhari In London / Ademola Adeleke Celebrates His Folasade Adeleke, His First Daughter's Birthday / Obidients Verified Handle Attacks Mary Odili, Predicts Tribunal Judgement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.