Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,706 members, 7,955,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:22 PM

NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria (42117 Views)

NTA Presenter Wearing Canvas And Traditional Attire / NTA Staff Wearing Makeup On Live TV (Photo) / Nigeria 2-1 Benin: Fans Criticise NTA Over Poor Video Broadcast Of Match(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by frankblinkz(m): 12:59am On Nov 04, 2019
nairalanduseles:
There is more pressing issues Hunger Bad roads Corrupt leaders Abuse of power Etc

Nigeria is a sinking ship
only the real will float
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by pavoda: 1:11am On Nov 04, 2019
Definitely a step in the right directions for the Nations Broadcaster. This will attract more eyes especially the younger demo. ad revenue should follow. This can be very good news for NTA. Hope they are able to regain lost glorious days
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Jimi24: 1:27am On Nov 04, 2019
Buhari is toooo much. Great disruptor. Asking the brutal questions. Getting the fundamental solutions.

This is a probable N100bn revenue stream if advertising is handle cleverly. So a cost center becomes a profit center.

PDP and supporters, hang your mouth open whilst the latest world bank loan and coming russian nuclear quick implementation project makes Nigeria a power exporter in 2024.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by exlinklodge: 1:29am On Nov 04, 2019
Hmmmmmmmmmm

NTA play EPL

Hmmm

E go still look like Enyimba pitch no mater what

Using archaic equipments as if life begins and ends with it.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by lakesider(m): 1:41am On Nov 04, 2019
That's how you keep making your country and people poorer.. When will African have sense
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by LordPsalm(m): 1:43am On Nov 04, 2019
NTA wey bo clear?
Thank u
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Donchukz(m): 1:47am On Nov 04, 2019
But,come to think of it o,NTA should be in the for front in propagating the Nigerian league that just started yesterday(3rd of November,2019), if NTA don't care to show case our league,who will.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Enemyofpeace: 2:26am On Nov 04, 2019
Who still dey wash NTA for Nigeria?
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Beat123(f): 2:31am On Nov 04, 2019
With what picture quality? Mumu stop wasting cash n focus on Nigerian leagues first
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by judedwriter(m): 2:36am On Nov 04, 2019
So Nta still exists It has been years since I last watched Nta.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46am On Nov 04, 2019
Joke of the century......

NTA acquire fire....
Is EPL now Papa Ajasco series or what?

NTA is fast learning from our yeyebrities with their publicity stunts. At least Nigerians don remember NTA with this April fool news. Good job

1 Like

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by 27Pushing30: 4:11am On Nov 04, 2019
grandstar:
I don't think this is right. They should be more focused on developing the local league
Exactly!
Egyptian/Tunisian players for example don’t feel any pressure to move to European or Arab leagues ... their league is well funded and lucrative

I’d like to think same with the South African league (Though less fans attend PSL games)

We need to develop our league , I enjoyed watching it back Then

Imagine a Dangote, Otedola, Coscharis, IVM, Adenuga heck even MTN owning /actively sponsoring Nigerian clubs?? Story go change

Govt needs to invest more in professional and school sports ASAP. Not ownership but infrastructure investment and busIness incentive ...
That’s the easiest form of Job creation , nation building and let me not get started on value chain

1 Like

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by landmark86: 4:46am On Nov 04, 2019
zoeA:
With their dull and lackluster production... The most boring station in this planet undecided

Seconded
More boring than Buhari administration

1 Like

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by naptu2: 4:47am On Nov 04, 2019
samuelthaking:
They have no license, they have been liasing with kwese free sports for over a year, that channel shows a game during the weekend which could be useless games like stoke vs Birmingham etc, Nigeria is a scam, imagine an information minister saying this trash.
Those using star times would attest to my claims

Kwese Free Sports no longer exists.

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by naptu2: 4:56am On Nov 04, 2019
I'm shocked that people are surprised by this news. There's nothing surprising about this. In fact, it's normal.

The EPL usually sell two packages of rights. There's the package for pay TV and there's a package for free to air TV. This has been the situation for many years.

The package for pay TV grants the TV company the right to show many EPL matches a week.

The package for free to air TV grants the company the right to show one EPL match a week.

During the Obasanjo era (when Frank Nweke Jr was minister of information), the government convinced the EPL to separate the Nigerian market from the rest of Africa and so these rights are for Nigeria alone.

NTA has previously held the right for free to air TV stations in Nigeria (that was when HiTV had the rights for pay TV).

That package was later bought by BON (Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria).

Later on, Kwese Free TV bought the rights and they granted DBN and NTA the right to also show the game.

Kwese Free TV and the whole Kwese company stopped functioning a few months ago (they weren't making money) and nobody was broadcasting the free to air package.

Now the NTA has done what they usually do. A private marketing company has bought the rights and is selling advertising space to companies in order to recoup their money. They've partnered with the NTA and the NTA now has the free to air rights again (for the first time in more than ten years).

There's nothing strange about this.

(TV Africa once held the free to air rights for the whole of Africa. That was in the late 1990s and early 2000s and NTA and many other Nigerian stations showed the games courtesy of TV Africa. Supersports had the pay TV rights at that time).

7 Likes

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by DelphiOracle(m): 5:05am On Nov 04, 2019
grandstar:
I don't think this is right. They should be more focused on developing the local league
yes. How many of these local league matches do they show
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by ATTemi: 5:18am On Nov 04, 2019
I am not watching....till date NTA video quality looks like watching a video on Sagem, very poor. I wonder why EFCC have not beamed their searchlight on NTA.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Agugbadin: 5:25am On Nov 04, 2019
grandstar:

Which league
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Awoo88: 5:42am On Nov 04, 2019
Rubbish. They had also had the right to pro cast one match.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Hotfella(m): 5:44am On Nov 04, 2019
The color go be black and blue. Sorry black and white.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by naptu2: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2019
grandstar:

The problem is not with the NTA, rather it is with the league.

The NTA has tried to buy rights to the league several times. They even signed a partnership with the league (https://www.nairaland.com/4041271/nta-signs-broadcast-production-agreement). However, it often seems like the League Management Committee prefer that Supersports shows the games. Besides, the league is not very organised (witness what happened to the league in 2018).

However, the NTA also shows Nigerian league games. I watched the last game of the 2017/2018 season (between MFM and El-Kanemi) on the NTA (Supersports showed the game in Jos).

Besides, the league currently has no title sponsor. Nigerian league games were shown on the NTA when Bournvita (1980s), Pepsi (1990s), Globacom (2000s) sponsored the league. The Aiteo Cup has recently been shown on the NTA also. The fact is that someone needs to pay for the NTA's airtime and there's nobody to do so at the moment. Integral has paid for the NTA's airtime and they intend to recoup their investment by selling advert spaces. It's business.

1 Like

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by franchasng: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2019
Hmmmm, are they now showing Premier League on black and white televisions Wonders shocked
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by SolarRen(m): 5:48am On Nov 04, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Until they decide to show you Brighton vs Sheffield utd. lol

Yes na... grin madness
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by ejimatic: 5:51am On Nov 04, 2019
mercyokoro24:
Lalasticlala
They will be showing minor matches
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:53am On Nov 04, 2019
Wrong,what about npfl
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by naijadrivablog: 5:58am On Nov 04, 2019
zoeA:
With their dull and lackluster production... The most boring station in this planet undecided

grin
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09am On Nov 04, 2019
but havr no licence for d NPFL Bleep dem.
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by naptu2: 6:11am On Nov 04, 2019
The first time that I witnessed this system was in 1985. A private company called DBN bought the rights to the FIFA Under 16 World Cup in China. They then partnered with the NTA (by buying airtime) and sold advertisement spaces in order to recoup their investement.

It's business.

If you want the NTA to show the NPFL, you should buy airtime on the NTA, buy the TV rights from the NPFL and sell advertisement spaces in order to recoup your investment.

As I said before, it's business.

1 Like

Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by kunzzy4me(m): 6:11am On Nov 04, 2019
Why can't you guys just appreciate ur own thing for once ....and u guys are complaining..our thing is our thing.. We will get there
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by crazycrypto710: 6:21am On Nov 04, 2019
grin one (1) match in a week, lol..
Re: NTA Acquires Right To Broadcast The English Premier League In Nigeria by GreenArrow1(m): 6:24am On Nov 04, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Until they decide to show you Brighton vs Sheffield utd. lol

Lol! You are wicked grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode Attends Premiere Of Yahaya Bello’s Biopic With Lover (Photos) / Fun Photos From Big Brother Naija Old-School Themed Night Party Week 5 / Nigerians Made DSTV Remove Caitlyn Jenner Show - South Africans Angry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.