Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? (42297 Views)

The Natural Beauty Of Abuja, The Nation's Capital (pics) / Evidence Of How Rivers State Was Rigged - David Hundeyin / Tinubu Slams Ambode: "Ship Of Lagos State Was Heading In The Wrong Direction" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by adanny01(m): 8:46am On Nov 04, 2019
Kayharry:
How Abuja Was Chosen as Nigeria’s Capital
The problems associated with the capital being in Lagos, such as population pressures, political and ethnic divisions, led to the search for a new capital in 1976. Abuja was selected from among 33 possible sites.

Physically located in the centre of the country and viewed as neutral both ethnically and religiously, it is where culture and religion meet.

The criteria used for selection included: centrality, healthy, climate, land availability and use, water supply, multi-access possibilities, security, existence of resources, drainage, good soil, physical planning convenience and ethic accord.

The Emir of Abuja at the time, Alhaji Suleiman Barau, was asked to meet with his Emirate Council to approve contributing four of the five districts to Abuja to become the new capital.
The council was divided as some districts considered it too much of a sacrifice; but at the end, they approved the request from the Federal Government.
Thus, the Abuja in Niger State contributed 80% of the land of the territory, Plateau State (now Nassarawa State) contributed 16% of the South east territory and Kwara State (Now Kogi State) contributed about 4% of the south-west territory.

Best information so far.

However, the geographical center of Nigeria isnt Abuja, it is actually the neighboring Southern Kaduna. Southern Kaduna as the geographical centre of Nigeria was also a strong part of the consideration as the capital, specifically a village called Sabon gida in the present Sanga LGA bordering the popular Forest on the Akwanga-Jos road. Abuja site came out most suitable because most of the factors considered were there especially the geophysical properties (source of water, drainage, construction materials etc ).

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by mcayomind: 8:49am On Nov 04, 2019
naptu2:

grin

People are mentioning states that did not exist when Abuja was created. Abuja was created by Murtala Muhammed, who also created 19 states.

Abuja was carved out of Niger state and Niger State was carved out of Kwara, Benue-Plateau and North-Western states.

may God bless you sir
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by scopp(m): 9:07am On Nov 04, 2019
Abuja was in Niger State, while the present Suleja was in Abuja. The Capital was originally supposed yo be in Abuja which was Niger State but was changed.
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by GREATCEVENTH: 9:26am On Nov 04, 2019
TooMuchStuff
Plateau, Niger, Kwara, Kadana of old ....1979

Explain It Or Are You A Lazy Youth?
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by BRATISLAVA: 9:30am On Nov 04, 2019
9jayes:
We used to farm in Abuja with my grandfather before Babangida chased us. Abuja was part of Niger and Kaduna state. RIP my grandpa
sad. Was ur family compensate? N cn u rememba d exact place in Abuja? We nid history 2 remba dis
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by vineyardfarms: 9:56am On Nov 04, 2019
BONDED NORTH - KADUNA, NORTH WEST - NIGER, NORTH EAST AXIS PLATEAU, MIDDLE BELT - BENUE STATE, KWARA STATE. PLATEAU STATE DONNATED MORE LAND TO FCT.

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by content208: 9:57am On Nov 04, 2019
Danwakae:

You don't have knowledge about those states and their borders...I don't have time to start educating u

Abuja was carved out of several states, including kogi state and kogi was formerly part of kwara state

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Danwakae(m): 10:03am On Nov 04, 2019
content208:

Abuja was carved out of several states, including kogi state and kogi was formerly part of kwara state

Please tell me the state u are let me use it to make example for u
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by content208: 10:05am On Nov 04, 2019
Danwakae:

Please tell me the state u are let me use it to make example for u

Kwara
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Danwakae(m): 10:27am On Nov 04, 2019
content208:

Kwara

Example: Ekiti state was part of Ondo before(old Ondo state). Ekiti was carved out from mainly Ondo and some state like Osun , Kwara, and Kogi... Your statement is now like saying Edo state was part of OLD ONDO STATE maybe because it shares boundaries with both present Ekiti and Ondo state....POINT: there is no way Kwara state can be part of Abuja..except u don't know your map and in lay man's way, tribe in Kwara is presently in Abuja ??...
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by content208: 10:31am On Nov 04, 2019
Danwakae:

Example: Ekiti state was part of Ondo before(old Ondo state). Ekiti was carved out from mainly Ondo and some state like Osun , Kwara, and Kogi... Your statement is now like saying Edo state was part of OLD ONDO STATE maybe because it shares boundaries with both present Ekiti and Ondo state....POINT: there is no way Kwara state can be part of Abuja..except u don't know your map and in lay man's way, tribe in Kwara is presently in Abuja ??...

Oga, stop talking rubbish. Abuja was carved out of old kwara, Niger, Kaduna and plateau states. And kogi was part of the old kwara state from which Abuja was carved out.

Stop acting clever and making a fool of yourself in the process.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Capital_Territory,_Nigeria

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Danwakae(m): 10:35am On Nov 04, 2019
content208:

Oga, stop talking rubbish. Abuja was carved out of old kwara, Niger, Kaduna and plateau states. And kogi was part of the old kwara state from which Abuja was carved out.

Stop acting clever and making a fool of yourself in the process.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Capital_Territory,_Nigeria

Which area in Abuja now was part of the old Kwara ??
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by thatigboman: 10:38am On Nov 04, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
Nasarrawa! Most Abuja resident attest to this!
nasssarawa was not in existence then. it's old plateau
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by content208: 11:06am On Nov 04, 2019
Danwakae:

Which area in Abuja now was part of the old Kwara ??

Oga, read the link and stop arguing like a dumb Idiot. You claim to you know geography, yet you sound so dumb; yet you don't know that kogi was carved out of kwara State. If you can't reason it out, I'm not ready to waste my time explaining to you.

Abeg stop disturbing me a with your extraordinary Dumbness.
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by SouthSouth1914: 11:12am On Nov 04, 2019
thatigboman:
nasssarawa was not in existence then. it's old plateau

There is nothing like old plateau! Just like the 7 bokwoi and non bokwoi states!
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Danwakae(m): 11:13am On Nov 04, 2019
content208:

Oga, read the link and stop arguing like a dumb Idiot. You claim to you know geography, yet you sound so dumb; yet you don't know that kogi was carved out of kwara State. If you can't reason it out, I'm not ready to waste my time explaining to you.

Abeg stop disturbing me a with your extraordinary Dumbness.

That Kwara state was part of Kogi, means Kwara is part of Abuja ...I will not insults u they way u have done, you have just expressed how low you are...so sorry for trying to reason with you...
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by thatigboman: 11:27am On Nov 04, 2019
SouthSouth1914:

There is nothing like old plateau! Just like the 7 bokwoi and non bokwoi states!
there's old plateau before nassarawa was carved out of the present plateau
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by oglalasioux(m): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2019
hisgrace090:

Ibb is the builder not mutala Muhammed.

Go back to my post and read it again. Do it slowly this time.
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Banter1(m): 11:50am On Nov 04, 2019
Bleiz:
It wasn't IBB's idea. The idea predated him. I think it started during the latter days of Gowon or the years of Murtala. IBB simply implemented it

Murtala Rahmat Mohammed

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by joe120120(m): 11:59am On Nov 04, 2019
murphyibiam15:
Does anyone have answer to this?

watch

1 Share

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by naptu2: 12:05pm On Nov 04, 2019
hisgrace090:

Ibb is the builder not mutala Muhammed.

Where was Alhaji Shehu Shagari on December 31st, 1983 and where did Brigadier Bako die?

Also, where was the venue of the 1982 Independence Day parade?

Who built the Akinola Aguda Lodge and who rebuilt it?

When was the Old Parade Ground built?

When was the Eagle Square built?

When was the National Assembly built?

When was the Apo Legislative Quarters built?

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by mofayode: 1:04pm On Nov 04, 2019
you are too embittered,
late Gen Murtala Mohd had approved moving of the nation's capital in appropriate with the resolution of
moving capital away from the coast to avoid attack
let it be at center(reachable at appro. distance from NORTH /SOUTH part of the nation)
let not it be in midst of a particular tribe
far better within minority
Murtala died shortly
ibb knows about it, he is from the minorities, he implement it through the best architect of the moment then

1 Like

Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by BrainSanitizer: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2019
murphyibiam15:
It was in a state of metagrabolised melancholia. Dust ask me to explain please.
I got it from Patrick Obahiagbon's text.
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by BrainSanitizer: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2019
murphyibiam15:
It was in a state of metagrabolised melancholia. Dust ask me to explain please.
I got it from Patrick Obahiagbon's text.
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Titogbanski: 4:21pm On Nov 04, 2019
There was no Nassarawa when Abuja was created or when Pres. Babangida moved there in 1991...so the states it was created from would be possibly Kwara, Niger and Plateau...since Nassarawa was part of Plateau until it was created in 1996.
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by content208: 5:40pm On Nov 04, 2019
Danwakae:

That Kwara state was part of Kogi, means Kwara is part of Abuja ...I will not insults u they way u have done, you have just expressed how low you are...so sorry for trying to reason with you...

Old kwara State was part of Abuja. How come that is so difficult for you to deduce?
Why is this guy arguing stupidly like this.

Has anyone ever told you that you like blind argument?
Re: In Which State Was Abuja Before It Was Made The Nation's Capital? by Nowenuse: 6:43pm On Nov 04, 2019
Danwakae:

Even at that , No part of OLD KWARA is part of ABUJA which is mainly from Niger state( Gwari and Gbaggi tribes)...Google the land mass to see , I am used to those area , I don't need Google to know that.

Stop arguing blindly. Old Kwara state (Kogi), Old Plateau state (Nasarawa) and Niger states contributed to the lands of Abuja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Jails Senator Peter Nwaoboshi For 7 Years For Money Laundering / Reno Omokri Replies Olu Okeowo: Is The SouthWest Just Area Boys & Fake Pastors? / Is Tinubu Ready For This Fight He Has Started ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.