Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,002 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages (3069 Views)

Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Phate07(m): 4:48am On Nov 15, 2010

The Centre for Black and African Arts and Civilisation (CBAAC) in collaboration with the South Africa based Centre for Advanced Studies of African Society (CASAS) recently organised an international workshop on the harmonisation of indigenous languages. The workshop, held on October 26 and 27 at the International Conference Centre, Abuja, brought participants from several African countries for the
first phase of the project, with a focus on Hausa, Ijaw, Yoruba and Igbo languages.

Speaking at the opening of the Abuja workshop, Minister of Culture, Tourism and National Orientation, Abubakar Sadiq Muhammed said, “Despite Asia’s multiculturalism and
multilingualism, they have been able to maintain their cultural and linguistic identities and have used them as springboard for socio-economic growth and
development. The Asian
countries have achieved a lot
through the use and
development of their indigenous languages.”

As linguists got to grips with the task in the different language clusters, Director of CASAS, Kwesi Kwaa Prah spoke about his work on the preservation of mother
tongues.
www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5641735-146/story.csp?
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by LagosBoi2(m): 1:17pm On Nov 15, 2010
This is a reasonable procedure to preserve our own languages, Youths of now-a-days are full of Phonetics and in some cases some of them are shy or ashamed to speak their own mother tongue in public,
many of them na package wey no make sense. Both home and away i go speak yoruba, i go even improve my pidgin wella grin
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by FBS: 1:27pm On Nov 15, 2010
@Topic.
WASERE = BRAVO!
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by MissyB3(f): 1:45pm On Nov 15, 2010
Not a bad idea.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by oluagness(m): 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2010
All African countries should learn Yoruba, best language so far tongue
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2010
no be lie, even me dey shame to speak igbo for sch
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by MrDuerulu(m): 2:22pm On Nov 15, 2010
A good idea at the right time. I can't understand how some Nigerians cope in Nigeria having only the knowledge of  English eya. It seems most of them  think speaking an indigienous language will affect their english language proficiency another eyaaaaa. Well, I dont blame them but their parents who made english the official language at home at detriment of mother tongue another big eyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  grin.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by bisiaet: 3:03pm On Nov 15, 2010
A good idea at the right time. I can't understand how some Nigerians cope in Nigeria having only the knowledge of English eya. It seems most of them think speaking an indigienous language will affect their english language proficiency another eyaaaaa. Well, I dont blame them but their parents who made english the official language at home at detriment of mother tongue another big eyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

May God bless this poster I just like the kind of true African like you.

It is so nasty and so shocking indeed. A friend of my living in Abuja and was proudly [b]vowin[/b]g that none of his kids will speak his dialect I was shocked and truely all of 3 kids were speaking English only I even try to speak the dialect to them they dont even know a single word I was so ashamed of him, when I tried to tell him look man you are missing it he was so defensive I have no option than to leave him alone. There are so many of them like that today.

I strongly support any move to safe indegenous Language because it is our heritage and must not be wipe out of us in the name of trying to impress somebody.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
nice moves
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by lordvamon(m): 4:10pm On Nov 15, 2010
coolllll kiss kiss kiss
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by agbo4me: 4:48pm On Nov 15, 2010
Phate07:

www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5641735-146/story.csp?
Lagos_Boi:

This is a reasonable procedure to preserve our own languages, Youths of now-a-days are full of Phonetics and in some cases some of them are shy or ashamed to speak their own mother tongue in public,
many of them na package wey no make sense. Both home and away i go speak yoruba, i go even improve my pidgin wella grin

Lagos_Boi:

You guys just shut the Bleep up you don'y know shit!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by tblacker(m): 4:55pm On Nov 15, 2010
Somebody is thinking right somewhere! It is a welcome development.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 15, 2010
opari oh!
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:12pm On Nov 15, 2010
Gud move der. I pity dis present generation of youngsters. Most of them dont understand let alone speak their mother tongue and their parents are largely to blame.

In my house, our mode of commntn home is Yoruba. Speaking English to my Dad is very odd. The same with my siblings. In the house or outside, I speak Yoruba PROUDLY. Am nt ashamed of my tongue.

I will speak my tongue to my children as the basis for learning other languages. No speaking of English @ home. They will learn it when they start schooling, watching TV, listening to Radio and when they hear outsiders speak it. Infact, they must learn how to speak Pidgin English.

Come to think of it, Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka other great Nigerian Authors like Chinua Achebe, John Pepper Clark, late Ola Rotimi, Chimamanda Adiche etc all know how to speak their mother tongues. Their mother tongues helped them in speaking and writing good English. Why do you think that Things Fall Apart is widely sold and translated to several languages. Same thing for Prof's works and Miss Adiche has won many awards.

Let us preserve our tongues to avoid extinction.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by nellaluv(f): 7:01pm On Nov 15, 2010
bigmodo:

no be lie, even me dey shame to speak igbo for sch
Unilag na school
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Omenani(m): 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2010
This is a very good idea. I support this battle 100%. We as Africans must never forget our culture, our heritage, nor our beautiful languages.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by usbcable(m): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2010
One of the very few things I regret my dad do to me was not letting me know my local dialect.
I can speak yoruba fluently, but not my akoko dialect.I dont even know when its being spoken by my side, since I know not a single sentence in it.
I hope my kids will at least be able to not only understand but also speak yoruba.
Sadly, all around me its now english as if local dialects retards a childs intelligence.
No wonder 9ice will forever make wave since most folks dont even comprehend simple yoruba language.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
nellaluv:

Unilag na school

if no be sch, wetin e come be
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Phate07(m): 11:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
For this battle to be won, the help of every well-meaning African is required. So we should endeavour to use our various languages when and where it is possible. Cos the first identity of any culture is its language!
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by anthony86(m): 12:16am On Nov 16, 2010
How will I learn how to speak my local diaect when while in Primary 4 you will be given 6 lashes of the cane for speaken venacular which was unfortunately my mother tongue
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by ladej(m): 1:27am On Nov 16, 2010
sadly this trend of not speaking mother tongue is prevalent in diaspora. while diasporans can be excused to an extent[small one albeit], whats the excuse of those in nigeria who cannot speak their mother tongue. its sad sad
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Omenani(m): 1:49am On Nov 16, 2010
ladej:

sadly this trend of not speaking mother tongue is prevalent in diaspora. while diasporans can be excused to an extent[small one albeit], whats the excuse of those in nigeria who cannot speak their mother tongue. its sad sad

You bring up an interest point. This problem is very prevalent in the Diaspora. It doesn't if the person is an Asante, Woloof, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Ewe etc, children born in the Diaspora are not able to speak their mother tongue. And you cannot really blame them. Some actually want to learn the language. It is kind of hard learning a language when you are not immersed in it daily. The fact in the matter, is that it is the parents duty to teach their children the language. It is a shame that many African parents do not want to teach their children the language, because they do not want their tongues to "spoil."

Concerning Nigerians who cannot speak their mother tongue living in Nigeria. I cannot really comprehend how that can happen. Especially, when there is plenty of opportunities to talk with people who speak you language. Even if you do not live in your homeland. I know of some Igbos who were raised in Lagos that do not even know how to speak Igbo. They only know "pidgin" English. It is a shame.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 16, 2010
oluagness:

All African countries should learn Yoruba, best language so far tongue

Ti won ba ni ki n na owo s'eni to l'ogbon ju, Iwo ni maa na owo si jor.
Wa s'ere ni gbogbo ojo aiye e jare
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by zionic(m): 11:37am On Nov 16, 2010
osegsghl;sdhgsdlgodsgb nmndg'af'ndk;bldfjbhd;skgns undecideddgn;nvsdfjsgfa;fhnnfosa grin;fsnado, this is my language, who can preserve it? lipsrsealed
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by ferhyntorlah(f): 1:54pm On Nov 16, 2010
ladej:

I dont see any reason why parents in diaspora cant speak their language to their children. The first language a child should learn to speak is his/her mother tongue. My mum told me of a couple who stayed overseas. They spoke their dialect to all their children while living abroad. Now, the children can clearly speak their dialect. To me, there is no EXCUSE for not speaking your language to ur children in a foreign land.

Yeah, we all want our children to speak good English but not at the expense of our language. That's why I admire the Indians & South Africans; everly proud of their language, which is clearly evident in their movies.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by ladej(m): 5:49pm On Nov 16, 2010
ferhyntorlah:

I dont see any reason why parents in diaspora cant speak their language to their children. The first language a child should learn to speak is his/her mother tongue. My mum told me of a couple who stayed overseas. They spoke their dialect to all their children while living abroad. Now, the children can clearly speak their dialect. To me, there is no EXCUSE for not speaking your language to your children in a foreign land.

Yeah, we all want our children to speak good English but not at the expense of our language. That's why I admire the Indians & South Africans; everly proud of their language, which is clearly evident in their movies.
thank you my sister. i live in the UK where i can guarantee you a substantial number of chinese, indians, pakistanis speak their local language AS WELL as fluent english in dialect of the area they have been brought up in. nigerians, shame. the average 16 or 17 year old doesnt speak. you ask them where they are from they tell u london. when you probe then they tell u their parents are from nigeria. while technically true it exposes the psyche of these kids. their parents are a strange mix (from those who are waiting on immigration papers, to thise who detest nigeria to those who are ashamed of nigeria and those who feel everything white is good]. o ma se o. its really pathetic. compared to other minorities we are the worst when it comes to imbibing culture in our children abroad. the absolute worst. the funny thing is, you can never outbritish a british person. not in a million years. theres a greater chance of a black person being the king of england. we have to wake up. while the indians and chinese draw you to their culture through food, clothes, music and movies we are constantly trying to deviate from our culture and trying to be oyinbo. oyinbos are never fooled. that is one of the reasons our phoney speaking brothers never seem to get the highest jobs. the real africas[insert koffi annan, ngozi okonjo iweala, chinamanda adozie etc] tend to reach the highest places more than those accented peeps. and they can all speak their respective mother tongues.

it also happens in nigeria cos i remember when i was in secondary school. there were a few students who were banned from speaking the local lingo at home. i mean WTF? those are the children that grow up to look down on people who speak their language in public. o ma se oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 18, 2010
I feel so ashamed when my dialect is being spoken! Infact i find it hard to join a convo by folks speaking it. Fact is am not ashamed of the dialect,ISHAN,but of the fact that i cannot speak it fluently. My parents did not live together when i was growing up,mama was in school and dad was a civil servant being transfered from one place to another, people think am ashamed but truth is i am ashamed i can't flow in ISHAN AND BENIN. Its my 2nd regret the 1st being that i was not allowed to study sciences at sec.sch, But i know i shall overcome
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by Ubiero(f): 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2010
@Rexxie.
You are even lucky.My parents especially my father refused to speak his language to us(MY BROTHER AND I).It's almost like he's ashamed of the Language but he speaks it to his people whenever they come around.Whenever my uncles and aunts come around,we're done for.They'd use the language to insult us,Saying things like----They born you throway,They make serious jests, My dad is Urhobo and my mum is Kwale.
What pains me the most is when I get a call and I don't want those around me to listen in,it's impossible.
When I get married,my husband must speak his dialect to my kids.Infact,if it's possible,they would learn the three indigenous languages in Nigeria.
I used to tell my mum that she's wicked because she didn't speak her language to us.She gets offended because for a whole day I could get her very frustrated with me.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by semasir: 3:05pm On Nov 18, 2010
Wow! I took pain reading all thru everyones comment and I appreciate your replies. Mine is with me as well, I live in my hometown, Badagry, most of my yrs but couldn't speak my mother tongue FLUENTLY despite getting on along with most around. All because of the fact that I live with my uncle and my mum only speaks to me when she visits. One good thing is just that I understand it and always criticise others who BASTARDIZE the names and I can proudly say today that I left my secondary school before I was able to speak English real good.
These so called Private Schools now are one problem too many to tackle as well calling one's pride and culture a VERNACULAR,OMG!! The future of our language is going to be worst and not worse because you could imagine the so called learned English as being just rubbish as well.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by semasir: 3:06pm On Nov 18, 2010
Wow! I took pain reading all thru everyones comment and I appreciate your replies. Mine is with me as well, I live in my hometown, Badagry, most of my yrs but couldn't speak my mother tongue FLUENTLY despite getting on along with most around. All because of the fact that I live with my uncle and my mum only speaks to me when she visits. One good thing is just that I understand it and always criticise others who BASTARDIZE the names and I can proudly say today that I left my secondary school before I was able to speak English real good.
These so called Private Schools now are one problem too many to tackle as well calling one's pride and culture a VERNACULAR,OMG!! The future of our language is going to be worst and not worse because you could imagine the so called learned English as being just rubbish as well.
Re: Battle To Preserve Indigenious Languages by jendordino(m): 2:33pm On Nov 20, 2010
INTERPRETING/TRANSLATING THE 10 VALUES OF A TRUE NIGERIAN
by fela DUROTOYE on Friday, November 19, 2010 at 8:08am

Please interprete (or translate) the 10 VALUES OF A TRUE NIGERIAN into your mother tongue (language/dialect) and post on my wall and yours and share with as many of our brothers an sisters from your tribal area.

This should be a lot of fun but it could be one of the most important things we have done together so far.

10 VALUES OF A TRUE NIGERIAN

1. MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT on everyone you meet and everywhere you go.

2. BE A SOLUTION PROVIDER and not a part of the problem that needs to be solved.

3. BE A ROLE MODEL worthy of emulation.

4. BE THE BEST AT ALL YOU DO particularly the things you are naturally good at.

5. DO THE RIGHT THING AT ALL TIMES regardless of who is doing the wrong thing.

6. VALUE TIME and make the best of it.

7. CARE AND SHOW RESPECT as you care through your words and your actions.

8. CONSCIOUSLY BUILD A GREAT LEGACY starting now, today and everyday.

9. LIVE A LIFE OF INTEGRITY AND HONOUR.

10. MAKE YOUR FAMILY, YOUR NATION, YOUR CONTINENT AND YOUR GOD PROUD. Be someone's claim to fame.

As you interprete/translate these values, please use the same emphasis (in capital letters) and addendum (in small letters). e.g "MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT" (is emphasized in capital letters) "on everyone you meet and everywhere you go." (is the addendum in small letters).

Please do the same (CAPITAL & small letters) in your interpretation/translation.

When you post on my wall, kindly specify your Name, your Tribe, and your Language or Dialect.

You could interprete ONE of the values or ALL of the values but please be specific to mention which of the values you are interpreting.

Come on, let's have some fun as we Deliver The Future>

Let the translations begin!!

NAIRALANDER, hope this comtribution from fela Durotoye on facebppk will add more colour to topic of discussion

(1) (2) (Reply)

Groundbreaking Ancient Yoruba Architecture / Brief History Of Dunukofia Clan / Top 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria (updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.