Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) (43183 Views)

Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) / See How I Make Yummy Bread Pizza At Home, Better Than Take Out (Photos, Video) / Fisayo Soyombo's Nigerian Local Rice Tweet: Nigerians Blast Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by thundafire: 7:28pm On Nov 06, 2019
Mindlesskid:

Habaaa... That's not true... It's just a case of poor processing...
just pray u dnt buy dey bad ones
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by Enemyofpeace: 7:35pm On Nov 06, 2019
iamdynamite:
you are mad but there is nobody to tell you...
Abeg cook it and serve Mannabbqgrils and other childrens of this satanic government
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by folks4luv(f): 8:07pm On Nov 06, 2019
Why exactly are people bashing the guy? The didn't say people should not eat local rice, he only complained about the quality. We should not be picking stones inside rice in 2019, what happens to quality control?

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by mindtricks: 8:11pm On Nov 06, 2019
ajl:

As usual the government is failing to play one of its major function, regulating and overseeing that products with minimum level of standard enter the market. Corruption won't let them. I heard a Ghanaian minister say on online tv show that only Nigerian market will accept Ghana's sub-standard mango juice, which they dare not attempt to export to Asia or Europe.

Exactly. That is how sorry our situation is and there's no hope in sight with the way things are going. Wonder why these corrupt crooks running the country should bother where the people will accept whatever crap thrown at them in the name of progress.
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by mindtricks: 8:13pm On Nov 06, 2019
folks4luv:
Why exactly are people bashing the guy? The didn't say people should not eat local rice, he only complained about the quality. We should not be picking stones inside rice in 2019, what happens to quality control?

Banana Republic quickly comes to mind.
This is Nigeria. In Nigeria like we know there are no rules.

2 Likes

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by lukui: 8:36pm On Nov 06, 2019
before our colonial masters came to Africa, weren't we eating something?

must you eat only rice? is rice the only African food?
I am now thinking of where to buy other foods now, you ask why, stones have reset my brains to factory settings!!!!
#GodblessNigeria

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by okewumi: 8:37pm On Nov 06, 2019
Team local rice. I bought the 50kg bag and l made sure they remove the stone. My family is enjoying it and you will feel the richness.

What l observed about local rice is that the starch quantity is very small compared to imported rice.

All these foreign rice was not gold initially, there private sector and government paid the price. When private sectors invest in our local rice at long run, their will be an improvement.

Do you know that most mama push shop buy stone local rice and cook in Onitsha, Awka and Enugu. They know techniques to remove the stone despite cooking in large quantity. Most lazy youth will see down in city shouting up Chelsea and man u instead to tap to the business opportunity. Lazy generation youth.

Buhari, l support you on this o because l have been to rice farm and l see how this rice communities are busy now and engage in something that bring money to their pocket.

My case study communities are Anaku, Ifite Ogwari, Omasi, Omoh, all in Anambra state then ADani village in Enugu state.

Whoever is tired should relocate to Benin republic and Ghana to eat foreign rice

2 Likes

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by Comedian2019: 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2019
Stingy, fake journalist.
This is what happens when you decide to buy the cheapest of the cheapest of the cheapest rice in the market.

Olofo investigating nonsense.

You better go and investigate road safety or vio causing accidents everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by mindtricks: 8:47pm On Nov 06, 2019
grandstar:

It is better for the Naira to be undervalued than be too strong. A weaker currency reduces the demand for imports.

First and foremost, stating we import everything isn't true but the country can do much better.

What policies has the government put in place to bring in more forex? None. Nigeria by now should have foreign reserves of $80bn at the very least.

The smart money is on generating forex and not on conserving forex by buying made in Nigerian goods. Developed countries are massive importers of goods themselves. The only difference is that they are also massive exporters. That is where Nigeria falls short.

Trust me, there's nothing wrong in importing rice since we lack comparative advantage in its production. For us to produce rice, that simply means it will be dearer than the imported ones. This makes no sense.

Rather, government should put resources into commodities that Nigeria has comparative advantage in. Sheabutter if fully harnessed can bring in as much as $2bn yearly as reckoned by experts. Snails exports can yield up to a $1bn. Nigeria can become a big exporters of thousands of tons of honey. The forex generated from shea butter alone can take care of rice imports. Thailand exports $1.8bn worth of farmed shrimps yearly.

Since the country lacks comparative advantage in rice production, smuggling will continue to persist. The smugglers will simply device new ways to ship it in. If the price of rice remains dear, there could be fury on the streets.

As for cement, Nigerians were net losers. Cement in Nigeria is one of the most expensive in the world. There was a year that Dangote made sales of N248B and had after tax profits of 124.2Bn. That means if he slashed the price of cement by half, he would still make a net profit. Nigerians were shortchanged. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that that more construction will be carried out if price of cement crashed today. For every job that Dangote creates directly, probably as much as ten is lost in the construction industry. Many constructions projects were abandoned when the ban of cement was introduced. A Nairalander here said as much. He was angry and outraged.

If the only way a country can produce something is to ban it first, then such a country need helps.

Your head dey there joor.
Thumbs up!

2 Likes

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by aminusodiq(m): 8:50pm On Nov 06, 2019
skedman:
Nigerian rice is still the best apart from the little stones
You don't need to open your pot when cooking because it does not remove those starchy water seen when cooking imported rice.

It has the full nutrient

as in... I tink say na only me notice am oo.... dos foreign rice b like sea wave if u mistakenly cover pot
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by DarkJeddi(m): 8:59pm On Nov 06, 2019
grandstar:

It is better for the Naira to be undervalued than be too strong. A weaker currency reduces the demand for imports.

First and foremost, stating we import everything isn't true but the country can do much better.

What policies has the government put in place to bring in more forex? None. Nigeria by now should have foreign reserves of $80bn at the very least.

The smart money is on generating forex and not on conserving forex by buying made in Nigerian goods. Developed countries are massive importers of goods themselves. The only difference is that they are also massive exporters. That is where Nigeria falls short.

Trust me, there's nothing wrong in importing rice since we lack comparative advantage in its production. For us to produce rice, that simply means it will be dearer than the imported ones. This makes no sense.

Rather, government should put resources into commodities that Nigeria has comparative advantage in. Sheabutter if fully harnessed can bring in as much as $2bn yearly as reckoned by experts. Snails exports can yield up to a $1bn. Nigeria can become a big exporters of thousands of tons of honey. The forex generated from shea butter alone can take care of rice imports. Thailand exports $1.8bn worth of farmed shrimps yearly.

Since the country lacks comparative advantage in rice production, smuggling will continue to persist. The smugglers will simply device new ways to ship it in. If the price of rice remains dear, there could be fury on the streets.

As for cement, Nigerians were net losers. Cement in Nigeria is one of the most expensive in the world. There was a year that Dangote made sales of N248B and had after tax profits of 124.2Bn. That means if he slashed the price of cement by half, he would still make a net profit. Nigerians were shortchanged. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that that more construction will be carried out if price of cement crashed today. For every job that Dangote creates directly, probably as much as ten is lost in the construction industry. Many constructions projects were abandoned when the ban of cement was introduced. A Nairalander here said as much. He was angry and outraged.

If the only way a country can produce something is to ban it first, then such a country need helps.

IMPORT SUBSTITUTION is an economic policy and this is a classical case of it..

We may not be able to generate enough foreign exchange to pay for what we consume as a country because of our dependence on oil,

But that does not mean we can't substitute imported products for products we can produce at home and thus conserve scarce forex resources..

At the end of the day,the aim is the economic well being of the nation..

And

Even the best local rice is not more expensive than the some poor quality foreign rice,

And encouraging the production of rice will in long run crash the price..

It's just that people look down on local rice and if they must eat foreign rice,then they should be prepared to pay a premium..

1 Like

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by Legendguru: 9:17pm On Nov 06, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by oloriooko(m): 9:26pm On Nov 06, 2019
MoIbrahim:

Abi brain dey pain you?

Why is it difficult for you people to use brain while posting? The discourse is about rice having stones, and you mention cows and inadequacy of rice farming to substantiate the opening of border.

Seriously, nairaland should start asking for medical certificate for sign ups.
I don't expect you to understand such "difficult" post so sorry for that.
Yes it's investors that will pick the stones out of our rice, you very rite
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by omoadeleye(m): 9:31pm On Nov 06, 2019
imam07:
yeye shay nah everyone fit buy quality rice? Because God bless u with work and dey collect good salary and it has make it to block ur eyes to see people around who can't even afford stony rice. Govt is only trying to encourage us to eat our local rice regardless of if bad or good. The bottom line is non of our local rice at the moment is better than Thailand rice. Unless if we don't want to say the truth because Buhari and apc don enter Buhari fans head. Even if Buhari order Nigeria to be eating shit, I will still see people that will eat shit.

Lol, jokes on you, am a recent graduate and working as a part time teacher and receiving stipend not up to current minimum wage pending the time for a good job to show up, no be say i get money nz happy i just dey happy, so am not making jest or mocking anybody...
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by MoIbrahim: 9:34pm On Nov 06, 2019
oloriooko:

I don't expect you to understand such "difficult" post so sorry for that.
Yes it's investors that will pick the stones out of our rice, you very rite

E pain am...

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by benji93: 9:48pm On Nov 06, 2019
Cos soil varies from one place to another
henrydadon:

Lol.. Listen to yourself why should our rice have different grades
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by ceeceeuwa: 10:21pm On Nov 06, 2019
toolovely:
For more than two years now, I've been eating local rice. That's what I buy. Abakaliki rice. All these people bashing local rice of having stones and the rest, I have never picked stone or eaten stone in my own local rice.

Was it this expensive 2 years ago... why can’t it be cheaper? Must Nigerians pass through hell for team government to make a point...
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by spotlezzbulus39: 4:16am On Nov 07, 2019
my brother thank God you are a journalist helps us cry to the Government pls crymy brother thank God you are a journalist helps us cry to the Government pls

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by oloriooko(m): 7:36am On Nov 07, 2019
MoIbrahim:

E pain am...
Overgrown baby grin
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by MoIbrahim: 7:44am On Nov 07, 2019
Meagre adult grin

oloriooko:

Overgrown baby grin
Re: Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) by sway112: 2:13pm On Nov 07, 2019
airbrush:

abeg na food for zombie like you not for me

Oya Na dey wait for imported "uncle-benz"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Between Semovita/semolina/wheatmeal / What Is This Dish Called? (picture) / What Meals Do I Need To Avoid To Stop Growing Fat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.