Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,640 members, 7,827,369 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. (1057 Views)

Why Does Allah Seem To Copy Jesus Words? / Why Does Allah Deliberately Mislead People And Give Them No Hope Of Redemption? / As We Study Of Him In His Word We Are Transformed Into The Real Image Of Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by beauty7: 9:32am On Nov 07, 2019
I had been secretly reading some writings from the Quran when i was in Sokoto state.

Although a christian must not allow a muslim to see him reading the Quran.

It could spell trouble for the christian.

But my question is:

Why does the Quran use the term 'We' for God?

Does it mean that the Quoran has recognized God as consisting of 3 persons as the christians also affirm?

Even when Allah created the world ,He stated in the Quoran that "We(Allah) created the world ....."

In christianity,we believe that God is one but consists of 3 persons.

Just like a human being is one but consist of soul,body and spirit.

In fact every thing that is one also consist of different parts.

Even a cup of water consists of Hydrogen and Oxygen.

A rock consists of different chemical parts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by sagenaija: 11:10am On Nov 07, 2019
beauty7:
I had been secretly reading some writings from the Quran when i was in Sokoto state.

But my question is:

Does it mean that the Quoran has recognized God as consisting of 3 persons as the christians also affirm?

Even when Allah created the world ,He stated in the Quoran that "We(Allah) created the world ....."

A rock consists of different chemical parts
Some Moslems claim that the plural of majesty to show the royal greatness of Allah.

But Allah switches from singular to plural pronouns ("Me," "We", "Our" ). So, there is no CONSISTENT use of it throughout the Koran – a book that claims to be CLEAR.

Allah is also said to be “the best of creators” which suggests that there are other creators.

What the plural may then show is either that Allah is one in an EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE of gods which he references when using the plural and himself alone when using the singular or that Allah is a god among a pantheon of gods.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by 1Sharon(f): 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2019
Cos he's talking to other gods

1 Like

Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by beauty7: 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2019
sagenaija:

Some Moslems claim that the plural of majesty to show the royal greatness of Allah.

But Allah switches from singular to plural pronouns ("Me," "We", "Our" ). So, there is no CONSISTENT use of it throughout the Koran – a book that claims to be CLEAR.

Allah is also said to be “the best of creators” which suggests that there are other creators.

What the plural may then show is either that Allah is one in an EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE of gods which he references when using the plural and himself alone when using the singular or that Allah is a god among a pantheon of gods.
ok

1 Like

Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by beauty7: 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2019
1Sharon:
Cos he's talking to other gods
Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 07, 2019
It is true. All through the koran, Allah refers to himself as 'WE'.

I never saw a place that he refers to himself as 'I'

Maybe prophet Muhammad recognized that God is one but consists of different persons as the christians also believe.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by IJOBA2: 11:40am On Jun 10, 2020
URUBA ALLTHINGSGOOD WALEDEJI MADRIDGUY CILICMARINE MACLATUNJI YALL SHOULD DROP YA OPINION ON THIS
Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by hayzed1090: 11:58am On Jun 10, 2020
beauty7:

ok

So u are confused about something in the Quran and u re accepting clarification from a Christian and anti-Muslim.

Well the WE in Arabic language is similar to yoruba .

Yoruba use EYIN, AWON, ETC to denote more than one person and also when referring to one person respectfully .
Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by AntiChristian: 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
It is a feature of literary style in Arabic that a person may refer to himself by the pronoun nahnu (we) for respect or glorification. He may also use the word ana (I), indicating one person, or the third person huwa (he). All three styles are used in the Qur’an, where Allaah addresses the Arabs in their own tongue.
(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 4/143).

“Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, sometimes refers to Himself in the singular, by name or by use of a pronoun, and sometimes by use of the plural, as in the phrase (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Verily, We have given you a manifest victory” [al-Fath 48:1], and other similar phrases. But Allaah never refers to Himself by use of the dual, because the plural refers to the respect that He deserves, and may refer to His names and attributes, whereas the dual refers to a specific number (and nothing else), and He is far above that.”
(Al-‘Aqeedah al-Tadmuriyyah by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, p. 75).

These words, innaa (“Verily We”) and nahnu (“We”), and other forms of the plural, may be used by one person speaking on behalf of a group, or they may be used by one person for purposes of respect or glorification, as is done by some monarchs when they issue statements or decrees in which they say “We have decided…” etc. [This is known in English as “The Royal We” – Translator]. In such cases, only one person is speaking but the plural is used for respect. The One Who is more deserving of respect than any other is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, so when He says in the Qur’an innaa (“Verily We”) and nahnu (“We”), it is for respect and glorification, not to indicate plurality of numbers. If an aayah of this type is causing confusion, it is essential to refer to the clear, unambiguous aayaat for clarification, and if a Christian, for example, insists on taking ayaat such as “Verily, We: it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e., the Qur’an)” [al-Hijr 15:9 – interpretation of the meaning] as proof of divine plurality, we may refute this claim by quoting such clear and unambiguous aayaat as (interpretation of the meanings): “And your god is One God, there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful” [al-Baqarah 2:163] and “Say: He is Allaah, the One” [al-Ikhlaas 112:1] – and other aayaat which can only be interpreted in one way. Thus confusion will be dispelled for the one who is seeking the truth. Every time Allaah uses the plural to refer to Himself, it is based on the respect and honour that He deserves, and on the great number of His names and attributes, and on the great number of His troops and angels.”
(Reference: Al-‘Aqeedah al-Tadmuriyyah by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, p. 109).
beauty7:

But my question is:

A rock consists of different chemical parts.

Mind you not all Christians believe there are there Gods in one package. The Unitarian Christians do not believe this.
And God is not a thing to be compared to rock, water, etc.
Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by sagenaija: 4:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
hayzed1090, AntiChristian,
So, when Allah says in Koran chapter 1 verse 5

"It is You we worship and You we ask for help."

Who is he referring to? Who is the "we" worshipping who? Who is asking for help from who?

1 Like

Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by hayzed1090: 6:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
sagenaija:
hayzed1090, AntiChristian,
So, when Allah says in Koran chapter 1 verse 5

Who is he referring to? Who is the "we" worshipping who? Who is asking for help from who?

I don't see what is confusing here . This is a prayer that a Muslim is expected to make And it's also compulsory we say it on our daily salat. It is ALLAH (SWT) we worship and it is ALLAH(SWT) we seek help from.
Re: Why Does Allah Use The Word 'WE' When Refering To Himself. by sagenaija: 9:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
hayzed1090:

I don't see what is confusing here . This is a prayer that a Muslim is expected to make And it's also compulsory we say it on our daily salat. It is ALLAH (SWT) we worship and it is ALLAH(SWT) we seek help from.

Who speaks in the Koran; Allah or human beings?

Is there anywhere in that portion of the Koran that says that it is Moslems and not Allah who are making that statement?

I hope these two questions will begin to make you see the confusion.

(1) (Reply)

London Used PS3 Slim / Real Reason Why Oyedepo, Adeboye, Oyakhilome, CAN Shun TB Joshua’s Burial / Join Horemow Int'l Bible Study Live With Pst Paul Rika! NOW SUNDAY By 4pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.