Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,037 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? (9607 Views)

Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? / CBN To Switch 5-10% Of Forex Reserves To Chinese Yuan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by frank317: 6:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
I have asked myself this questions a couple of times, but there seems to be no reasonable answer. most people say it is for security reasons, can somebody tell me what security got to do we switching off our hands set?

pls bankers in the house i need your relaible answers.

why should an innocent customer be harrassed for leaving his handset on? what is the security implication of switching off you hanset? what can the customer (who could be a disguised criminal) tell his alliances that will enable smooth robbery? does he work in the bank to know certain information?
if for anything, the only people that can give relaible information to robbers are the bank workers themselves, yet they parade and use their handsets in the office.
robbers themselves have their way of getting information before risking their lives for such operation and not relying on anything anybody who is just entering the bank can give them.

why does our security system chase rat when the house is burning? i see no conection between a customers usage of hand set and any reliable armed robbery operation. unless someone tells me that they dont want customers to make noise with their handsets in the bank environment.

GTB is the only bank yet that dosent really harass their customers and looking at it they are almost the most relaible bank in the country.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by NnamdiN: 7:15pm On Nov 15, 2010
I think, if other necessary security measures were put in place, then the issue of harassing handset users in the bank, wouldn't arise in the first place, but to a large extent, they only have control of security within the bank.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Odunnu: 7:26pm On Nov 15, 2010
I was going to say I bank with GTB and i'v never heard ths happen in there,then I read it in the end of your post.
I dnt knw why but if I have to go to a bank and i'm askd to switch off,i'l demand to knw why
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by realdon(m): 9:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
I don't think any bank still ask pple to switch off their phone b4 entering a banking hall, thus giving them the opportunity to return missed calls when they leave the bank. What I'm very sure of is that ppl are not allowed to make/receive calls in the banking hall; and certainly is for security reasons.

The way some customers shout "I'm in the bank" on phone sometimes gives an impression that they are trying to give info to some crooks
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by realdon(m): 9:33pm On Nov 15, 2010
So don't allow any1 2 force u 2 put off ur fone
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Purist(m): 2:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
If they really care about security, they should just install cell phone jamming devices in their banking halls, rather than stupidly harrass customers.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Woke4all(m): 2:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
realdon:

I don't think any bank still ask pple to switch off their phone b4 entering a banking hall, thus giving them the opportunity to return missed calls when they leave the bank. What I'm very sure of is that ppl are not allowed to make/receive calls in the banking hall; and certainly is for security reasons.

The way some customers shout "I'm in the bank" on phone sometimes gives an impression that they are trying to give info to some crooks
I remember the last time my phone rang at oceanic bank,  i almost slap one of the security coz he was demanding for my phone while i haven't even answered the caller.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by daroz(m): 2:59pm On Nov 17, 2010
on a serious note, no bank security agent have successfully made me put off my phone while in the premises. I ideal look senseles to me, and i always disobey them, even making calls deliberately in their very eye angry
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by SSaemoenl(m): 3:02pm On Nov 17, 2010
I have tempted to ask this question b4. Still confused on that said topic, I have not experience that here in abroad only in Nigeria. though Naija dey turn everything opposite down. Sucks tongue
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by marcus1234: 3:04pm On Nov 17, 2010
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Drdandon: 3:06pm On Nov 17, 2010
i withdrew all my cask at intercontinental bank after been harassed by a junk last month.
GTB i love u
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 17, 2010
@topic

Its not peculiar to only banks in Nigeria.

It is a common practise world-wide
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by MUZBO(m): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2010
It is ignorance of what it really takes to rob a bank that makes 'em say that! When those tube-like security doors won't let you in with an E72 and car keys how then can u call someone from inside the bank to bring in the 9s and AKs? You can give out info about position, number of security guards thru the phone but how will you stick 'em up thru those doors? Maybe when Nokia starts making phone-guns sha!
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by amurx(m): 3:23pm On Nov 17, 2010
yeah gtb na d 2ru bank
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by johndavid1(m): 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2010
amurx:

yeah gtb na d 2ru bank
undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by vizion: 3:27pm On Nov 17, 2010
MrPrsdent:

@topic

its not a common practise world wide.

@poster
the country is lazy.
similar things happen when u enter almost all supermarket and ur told to drop up bag at the door
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by twinskenny(m): 3:32pm On Nov 17, 2010
have never been harrased at gtb before, thats why i truly love them
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Purist(m): 3:39pm On Nov 17, 2010
MrPrsdent:

@topic

FALSE!
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by ukcatlover(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2010
Yea that true most banks do ask people to switch off their mobile phone in bank because, some people normally comes to the bank to withdraw just 2,000 Naira, just to know who is withdrawing big amount of money inside the bank. Then they will send sms to their guys outside the bank to rob the person

So that why most banks ask people to switch off their phones for customers safety, I do not switch off mine when i am in my bank because of my familiarity and the weight of my bank account, so do not criticized any bank they are try to protect their customer because any body can be a victim to thief's that only went to the bank to know who is withdraw big amount so that they can attack you on your way and steal ur money.

In abroad, they do not switch off mobile phone because the security is tight and moreover abroad thief does not concentrate on individual citizens but to government sectors and banks.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by sgsltd(m): 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2010
keep your phone outside b4 you enter, Gbam

www.40days2wealth.webs.com
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by desertboom(m): 4:10pm On Nov 17, 2010
A friend was beated up and his cell phone ceased in Eco bank just because he pick a phone call in the bank premises not even inside the banking hall.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by nethacker(m): 4:14pm On Nov 17, 2010
MrPrsdent:

@topic

for where?  shocked shocked not here in d states sha ooo, i hv nvr for once switched off my fone here, until we hv a very reliable IT infrastructure such dat all transactions can b done via d ATM machines,b4 dis nonsense stop.
only d banks dat practice akingbola and cecilia Ibru's kinda banking usually force customers 2 do so  grin grin
Uncle T will nvr

desertboom:

A friend was beated up [/b]and his cell phone ceased in Eco bank just because he pick a phone call in the bank premises not even inside the banking hall.
@ d highlighted, it sounds better when replaced with [b]beaten up (no offense)
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by omega25red(m): 4:36pm On Nov 17, 2010
could be that they fear that bank robbers can use camera phones to record business inside the bank there by being able to plan a heist.

could also be that banks are not like market grounds where people yells and scream and talk so everyone can hear so they try to have people respect the quietness of their bank because people forget the etiquette of being in a place of business when they are on the phone.

could be that you are a robber and you have a look out outside feeding you info as to how many police are coming etc
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by Knight1(m): 4:55pm On Nov 17, 2010
i think [/b]ukcatlover[b] answered the question.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by lovejo(m): 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2010
Your worth with the bank determine how the address you, they have never harras customers with good working relationship with them.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by DisGuy: 5:11pm On Nov 17, 2010
ukcatlover:

Yea that true most banks do ask people to switch off their mobile phone in bank because, some people normally comes to the bank to withdraw just 2,000 Naira, just to know who is withdrawing big amount of money inside the bank. Then they will send sms to their guys outside the bank to rob the person

So that why most banks ask people to switch off their phones for customers safety, I do not switch off mine when i am in my bank because of my familiarity and the weight of my bank account, so do not criticized any bank they are try to protect their customer because any body can be a victim to thief's that only went to the bank to know who is withdraw big amount so that they can attack you on your way and steal your money.

In abroad, they do not switch off mobile phone because the security is tight and moreover abroad thief does not concentrate on individual citizens but to government sectors and banks.

How do you know the amount people are withdrawing, is it that the teller scream the amount out or something?
these are all stupid excuses, everyone might as well be robbed outside bank- the banks should improve their security and stop acting like agberos centre, some branches are like a market place big buildings for nothing with lots of crowd inside and only 1 ATM outside

Maga, how will the security officer know the 'weight' of your account
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by 190: 5:13pm On Nov 17, 2010
dem say make u nor call armed robber wen u enter bank,

imagine,

only in 9ja

for abroad u can even carry TV set WITH complete SATELLITE dish enter bank

no body go ask u question,

children dey carry PS3.XBOX 360.nitendo WII enter bank dey play,

No body send,

for nigeria them go say make u pull palm slippers before u enter bank eg first bank and inter bank!!
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by DisGuy: 5:13pm On Nov 17, 2010
lovejo:

Your worth with the bank determine how the address you, they have never harras customers with good working relationship with them.

so what if you don't go to your usual branch or the familiar branch

the only thing noticed is that some many people shout when they are on the phone and just a slight tap on the shoulder is enough to alert the person
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by DisGuy: 5:15pm On Nov 17, 2010
Purist:

If they really care about security, they should just install cell phone jamming devices in their banking halls, rather than stupidly harrass customers.

Gbam +1

me, i want to know why banks or offices in general have pictures of the president and Governor in the office? undecided
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by hackney(m): 5:33pm On Nov 17, 2010
190:

dem say make u nor call armed robber wen u enter bank,

imagine,

only in 9ja

for abroad u can even carry TV set WITH complete SATELLITE dish enter bank

no body go ask u question,

children dey carry PS3.XBOX 360.nitendo WII enter bank dey play,

No body send,

for nigeria them go say make u pull palm slippers before u enter bank eg first bank and inter bank!!

But remember that out here its cashless whereas in naija you need to carry cash around at some point (to buy things or even to pay for things)

If NIGERIANS are allowed to make phone calls in the bank, the follow-and-rob rate will be too high.

If you follow somebody from a cashpoint here, remember that CCTVs can link to follow everybody from stepping out of the house in the morning to getting back in the evening so that person will be caught.
Naija can't do that so they are trying to prevent or at least cut the rate down.
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by klas(m): 6:25pm On Nov 17, 2010
Purist:

It will also jam the staff's cell phones as well. How then will official communication be made?
Re: Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? by bidemi12(m): 6:27pm On Nov 17, 2010
MrPrsdent:

@topic

My guy, the only reason some banks do it here is not because of security reasons but because they do not want cell phone usesr to disturb other customers with their chatting unlike in naija where they have no clue why they have the policy in the first place.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Nin Is Showing ''no Record Found'' Pic / Liquid Soap Preparation, Formular, Questions & Answer Platform / Journey So Far! : Corona Lockdown Motivated Me To Start My Youtube Channel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.