Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? (17488 Views)

6 Lies Nigerian Car Dealers Tell Prospective Buyers / Can My Car Be Sold Without My Presence? / 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 11:36am On Nov 11, 2019
Gentlemen nairalanders on auto section, i need help.

Can a car be registered twice without showing the previous registration in the liason office.

It all plays down this way, I saw a car on Nairalander here won't mention the model etc and I loved it. I showed my mum and she wanted it immediately. After a while, I spoke with the seller and I went for inspection. We agreed on a good price and after payment I realised the car was previously registered to one owner like that. I knew the deal was too good to be true getting such a nice sleek ride at that price. Though the car z top notch ntin to fix and can pass for tokunbo though the dealer claimed the previous owner never never used it. He just paid half and left it with the promise to finish the payment and pick it up. Later on the guy had financial issues and decided selling it bla bla bla. (After payment). The issue is my mum Categorically have trust issues when it comes to Nigerian used due to past experience, And no matter how much I explain the car z registered already she might and will still have mixed feelings.

The issue is will the cat not be let out of the bag during registration. How can I go abt this etc.

Only serious folks please.

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by nurey(m): 12:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
greatbrian:
Gentlemen nairalanders on auto section, i need help.

Can a car be registered twice without showing the previous registration in the liason office.

It all plays down this way, I saw a car on Nairalander here won't mention the model etc and I loved it. I showed my mum and she wanted it immediately. After a while, I spoke with the seller and I went for inspection. We agreed on a good price and after payment I realised the car was previously registered to one owner like that. I knew the deal was too good to be true getting such a nice sleek ride at that price. Though the car z top notch ntin to fix and can pass for tokunbo though the dealer claimed the previous owner never never used it. He just paid half and left it with the promise to finish the payment and pick it up. Later on the guy had financial issues and decided selling it bla bla bla. (After payment). The issue is my mum Categorically have trust issues when it comes to Nigerian used due to past experience, And no matter how much I explain the car z registered already she might and will still have mixed feelings.

The issue is will the cat not be let out of the bag during registration. How can I go abt this etc.

Only serious folks please.

According to the DMV the plate number on a car belongs to current owner of the car not the Car itself.

So if Mr A imports a used car from USA for his personal use and registers it with plate number AAA01AA, after 2years he sold it to Mr B and Mr B registers it as AAA02BB after collection of the relevant document from Mr A for re-registration of a new plate number to be issued in his name.

Mr B used the car for 3 years and sold it to Mr C who didn't change the plate number but used the car like that.

Mr C got indebted and decided to sell the car to Mr D, Mr D noticed Mr C name and details is different from what is available in the document. So Mr D called the number on the document and Mr B who initially sold the car to Mr C confirmed he sold it to him that all is well.

So Mr D paid for the vehicle and re-registered it in his name with registration number AAA03DD.

A vehicle can have several registration number attached to the chassis but there are necessary documents to backup change of ownership

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2019
nurey:

According to the DMV the plate number on a car belongs to current owner of the car not the Car itself.

So if Mr A imports a used car from USA for his personal use and registers it with plate number AAA01AA, after 2years he sold it to Mr B and Mr B registers it as AAA02BB after collection of the relevant document from Mr A for re-registration of a new plate number to be issued in his name.

Mr B used the car for 3 years and sold it to Mr C who didn't change the plate number but used the car like that.

Mr C got indebted and decided to sell the car to Mr D, Mr D noticed Mr C name and details is different from what is available in the document. So Mr D called the number on the document and Mr B who initially sold the car to Mr C confirmed he sold it to him that all is well.

So Mr D paid for the vehicle and re-registered it in his name with registration number AAA03DD.

A vehicle can have several registration number attached to the chassis but there are necessary documents to backup change of ownership

The change of ownership is the issue. It will bring things out that the vehicle has been registered before. Sorry bro but without the change of ownership can the vehicle still be registered without anyone finding out there and then that it has been registered before. Thanks
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by Ben404040: 2:48pm On Nov 11, 2019
Make sure you collect original registration papers.. as in current ORIGINAL licence papers. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by nurey(m): 2:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
greatbrian:

The change of ownership is the issue. It will bring things out that the vehicle has been registered before. Sorry bro but without the change of ownership can the vehicle still be registered without anyone finding out there and then that it has been registered before. Thanks

you will hide the document from her after you have done the re-registration.

the down side is officers who wan chop and decide to scrutinize the docs can blow the bubble.

Besides there are many lies you can give your mum

1. I bought the car from my friend because the offer was too good to pass.
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by naijadrivablog: 3:07pm On Nov 11, 2019
All these "offer price too good to be true". Just make sure it is not a stolen car.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
naijadrivablog:
All these "offer price too good to be true". Just make sure it is not a stolen car.

Its not stolen. I have all the particulars

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
nurey:

you will hide the document from her after you have done the re-registration.

the down side is officers who wan chop and decide to scrutinize the docs can blow the bubble.

Besides there are many lies you can give your mum

1. I bought the car from my friend because the offer was too good to pass.

Sir the question is during the registration she will be doing, hope they won't find out abt the previous one. I can cover my tracks from there
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
Ben404040:
Make sure you collect original registration papers.. as in current ORIGINAL licence papers. That's all.

I don't understand this sir, but my question is during the registration, hope they won't find out it was registered before
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by nurey(m): 7:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
greatbrian:

Sir the question is during the registration she will be doing, hope they won't find out abt the previous one. I can cover my tracks from there

They will tell her because the VIN/Chassis number will reflect in the DMV system
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by chillex8(m): 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
greatbrian:

Its not stolen. I have all the particulars
If the transfer of ownership is not coming from the original owner(the one the car is registered to),return the car.

There was a case like this sometime ago, and police was involved to retrieve the car.
Cos the original owner layed a compliant.

A tokunbo car should never be on the MVAA systems at all.

Now, it will take you approx 3 months to register that car again as Nigerian used.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
chillex8:

If the transfer of ownership is not coming from the original owner(the one the car is registered to),return the car.

There was a case like this sometime ago, and police was involved to retrieve the car.

Now, it will take you approx 3 months to register that car again as Nigerian used.

It is from the original owner bro. The only problem is I knew after payment. The said owner purchased it, registered it and left it till he will finish payment. Few months after he couldn't conclude the payment coz he ran out of funds and he decided selling through the same dealer he bought from.

all this came to my knowledge after payment

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by greatbrian(m): 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2019
nurey:

They will tell her because the VIN/Chassis number will reflect in the DMV system

alright this sums it up.
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by chillex8(m): 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2019
greatbrian:

It is from the original owner bro. The only problem is I knew after payment. The said owner purchased it, registered it and left it till he will finish payment. Few months after he couldn't conclude the payment coz he ran out of funds and he decided selling through the same dealer he bought from.

all this came to my knowledge after payment
My last paragraph will cast you. It takes less than 2weeks to register a tokunber car.
So eventuarry, you will be caught.
chillex8:

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by EgunMogaji2: 8:52am On Nov 12, 2019
Yes, it can.

My kurupe was registered before. When I bought it I reregistered it with custom papers. But there was a fair amount of time when it was sitting unregistered, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by Ben404040: 2:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
greatbrian:

I don't understand this sir, but my question is during the registration, hope they won't find out it was registered before
Ofcourse the ll know it has been registered. Unless it was Yahoo yahoo registered previously..those fake registration that's not in system which I doubt.

This is why it is advised to make proper research before buying Nigerian used cars. The stories will start coming out once you make payment.
And believe all these stories with wisdom.
Best if luck

Meanwhile where is the balance of the car? Since you collected money for direct tokumbo grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by Netanya(f): 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2019
lipsrsealed
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by SalamRushdie: 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2019
It's not supposed to be so but it can
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by WonderManly(m): 8:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
Just a moment...

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by YorubaPrince: 8:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
In Nigeria, anything Bad, fraudulent, illegal and corrupt is a POSSIBILITY! grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by Keene00: 8:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
This is serious
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by englishmart(m): 8:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
Nigeria, yes
Europe, maybe not

2 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by realstars: 8:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
Registration of car twice is a sin. Not crime.

Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by frozen70g(f): 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2019
If its because of doubt, let her go to licencing office and check the status of the car to be sure that the name and other data corresponds

Registering of car is not allowed because of the computerization
Re: Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? by IvarTheBoneless: 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2019
Yeah... a stolen one ? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What To Do If Your Steering Fails While Driving / TICAD7: Toyota seals deal to site Assembly plant in Ghana (Video) / Car Caught Fire At LAUTECH Senate Building (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.