Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,776 members, 7,824,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? (26749 Views)

MUST WATCH: Honest Review Before Investing On Coinpocket! / COVID19 Financial Security: Buy Back Investment Plan On Land Banking-08027390046 / Make Good Profits Investing On Monthly Basis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by mark2sunny(m): 4:56pm On Nov 12, 2019
Set up a business. A good business over time will buy you lots of houses and cars. Transport business isn't very nice. With time you'll start putting back the money you realised from it.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by Bluehill1051: 4:58pm On Nov 12, 2019
Go and play 2 odds. Portugal vs Germany.
Germany straight win .
Thank me later.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by betterview: 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2019
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn
My real niggarrr

Land appreciate niggarrr
But you have to wait for it to appreciate

But if you need slow money. Then invest on selling cement in developing area
For every six hundred bags of cement you buy and sell
You might get a profit of almost four hundred thousand naira

But if you want quick money then open an HK (huzzle kingdom)
Meet real niggarrrz for tools and format and be loyal to them. Because in this game nobody be super man. Every body still dey learn work

400k on 600 bags?

How naa

Cement is sold with around 200 margin naa

2 Likes

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by sizer07: 5:03pm On Nov 12, 2019
Op... I have not read ur post but I have jump to answer your question. See real estate since this dullards called govt entered office is not what someone will trow money at hoping it will appreciate in one oh two years time, unless you want to buy and developed in which case you have planned it properly. The biggest mistake I did was sinking my capital back in 2015 in real estate hoping it will appreciate within months and I will cash out. Prior to this govt coming inn. Abuja that year, land business is so lucrative that you can buy,resale and make instant profit within 3wiks to one month. I bought mine at a new layout Orozo a satellite town One week before baba bubu and the cabals where sworn inn. we where all happy hoping with the string measures been taking by this govt in making sure corruption and other vise will be check mate and there will be enough capital in an real estate business, our guest was totally wrong as everything luck up. As we speak a land we bought for 1000sqm @800k, 2000sqm @1.5 .bought almost 15pis of land is now going for 300k n 700k respectively as we speak with pepe eye ,before APC came on board there market value was 1.3 and 1.9 instant profit cash and carry no go no come . Landed business and shares are the two things I will never advice my enemy to venture into. shares is worst. A friend sank 500k on share in an oil company back in 2015, today the share is worth 150k. Go buy sweet toyota corola and stat Uber and see how you will be smiling to the bank every weekends. Thank me letter

3 Likes

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by bonnyhope: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2019
iammo:
cool

Uber i guess.. honest truth is real estate isnt all that lucrative as people make it to seem...

selling a real estate asset sometimes takes over 2 years(atleast to get real profitable buyers)

Rent ratio to cost of construction and renovation is just not lucrative

The golden fact is Transport , Logistic and Hualage is a major gold mine in Nigeria, Railway and NRC was collapsed for trailer cabals, and Ambode got booted for trying to stop and replace lagos yellow bus (danfo) with his mini busses..

i agreed with you, there is money in transport especially in lagos but you have to drive it yourself
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by UrVillagePpl: 5:07pm On Nov 12, 2019
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn
My real niggarrr

Land appreciate niggarrr

Meet real niggarrrz for tools and format and be loyal to them. Because in this game nobody be super man. Every body still dey learn work

boss i i have interest in doing this cement Biz., can u put me through a little bit
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by mfm04622: 5:09pm On Nov 12, 2019
maynia:
The question is basically between
Cash flow and capital gain.
Your choice.

Nobody has broken it down so simply as you have!

1 Like

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by chrisxxx(m): 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2019
1kbusiness:
As an Ikwerre man that I am, my insticts say go for the land grin

But if you know you'd be doing the driving yourself and you've seen that the Uber business in your vicinity is doing well, go for the car.

Make sure u are driving it yourself oh. I know y ayam saying this.
Nwo nda meka. Nha oma menuiiii
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by yusufu16: 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2019
Land is not as lucrative as people think.

My advice is only buy land with extra money you are not going to use for at least 5 years.

4 Likes

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by chrisxxx(m): 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2019
sizer07:
Op... I have not read ur post but I have jump to answer your question. See real estate since this dullards called govt entered office is not what someone will trow money at hoping it will appreciate in one oh two years time, unless you want to buy and developed in which case you have planned it properly. The biggest mistake I did was sinking my capital back in 2015 in real estate hoping it will appreciate within months and I will cash out. Prior to this govt coming inn. Abuja that year, land business is so lucrative that you can buy,resale and make instant profit within 3wiks to one month. I bought mine at a new layout Orozo a satellite town One week before baba bubu and the cabals where sworn inn. we where all happy hoping with the string measures been taking by this govt in making sure corruption and other vise will be check mate and there will be enough capital in an real estate business, our guest was totally wrong as everything luck up. As we speak a land we bought for 1000sqm @800k, 2000sqm @1.5 .bought almost 15pis of land is now going for 300k n 700k respectively as we speak with pepe eye ,before APC came on board there market value was 1.3 and 1.9 instant profit cash and carry no go no come . Landed business and shares are the two things I will never advice my enemy to venture into. shares is worst. A friend sank 500k on share in an oil company back in 2015, today the share is worth 150k. Go buy sweet toyota corola and stat Uber and see how you will be smiling to the bank every weekends. Thank me letter
Bros i get cash to spare if fit get the 300k own from u? How legit is it? Will another Elrufai not come and liquify my ownership?
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by 7pages(m): 5:27pm On Nov 12, 2019
both are good and fixed asset but you might be shifted to the liability level if you don't drive the car yourself

why land profits come after years, uber comes immediately and the money gained from the uber can be used to buy many lands for future purpose
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by nextstep(m): 5:29pm On Nov 12, 2019
Given a choice in today's environment, I will buy tbills.

Somebody else has made a good case against land, though I don't fully agree (I develop land to rent, not just buy and hold), so our experiences with this PMB era may be different.

Let me attempt to discourage you from buying a car:

I'm assuming a car of about 3M, a cost that includes paperwork (registration, uber related fees, insurance, tax, etc.).
In tbills, 3M @ 12% annually is 360,000k. No further work needed from you for the rest of your life to get this return annually.

Typically, most drivers I know make around 30k/week. You'll likely work 46 weeks (not 52 because you will take breaks, get sick, travel, car breaks down, days with fewer customers, etc). Fuel will cost you at least 15k/week with all that driving, not to mention wear and tear and more frequent maintenance. After all is said and done, you might be lucky to see 15k/week after all associated costs (tolls, police, vulcanizer, stress). Not counting that the car you have is depreciating in value.

46 weeks X 15k is nearly 700k, with a lot of effort.

Sure 700k is more than 360k, but the latter comes without any effort, and oh, you still get to keep your 3M in cash. You can also use your time (which you're not using to drive) to work elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by meeky247: 5:31pm On Nov 12, 2019
it depends on what you want and your present situation. If you are employed or self-employed, you can buy landed Property in Lagos or Abuja and leave it for years to appreciate, depending on the location, title and cost of the land. If you are unemployed, get a good car that is fuel efficient and you can see the parts in Nigeria market at a less price for Uber. I think Toyota Corolla will do. Any one you choose, call me for landed Properties or importing your car from abroad. o eight o six2 0 8 one 6 11
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by policysamuel(m): 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2019
Newguyhere:
Non! undecided. land or car isn't an investment in a third world country undecided
Learn a digital skill and start freelancing cool
My 2 cents cool

U mean freelancing on Fiverr or Upwork or there's a new site that someone can freelance?
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by mrchineke: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2019
Newguyhere:
Non! undecided. land or car isn't an investment in a third world country undecided
Learn a digital skill and start freelancing cool
My 2 cents cool

Please explain why land is not an investment in a 3rd world country? Thanks
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by blissbliss: 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2019
If you must buy a car, do go with a mechanic and do not spend more than a 1.1m as it might take long to recoup your investment. You car employ the services of Gazzuzz for inspection.

Land would be a good idea I think.

Wish you luck.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by mrchineke: 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2019
nextstep:
Given a choice in today's environment, I will buy tbills.

Let me attempt to discourage you from buying a car (or even land):

I'm assuming a car of about 3M, a cost that includes paperwork (registration, uber related fees, insurance, tax, etc.).
In tbills, 3M @ 12% annually is 360,000k. No further work needed from you for the rest of your life to get this return annually.

Typically, most drivers I know make around 30k/week. You'll likely work 46 weeks (not 52 because you will take breaks, get sick, travel, car breaks down, days with fewer customers, etc). Fuel will cost you at least 15k/week with all that driving, not to mention wear and tear and more frequent maintenance. After all is said and done, you might be lucky to see 15k/week after all associated costs (tolls, police, vulcanizer, stress). Not counting that the car you have is depreciating in value.

46 weeks X 15k is nearly 700k, with a lot of effort.

Sure 700k is more than 360k, but the latter comes without any effort, and oh, you still get to keep your 3M in cash. You can also use your time (which you're not using to drive) to work elsewhere.

N3m highly liquid......hymmm you'll be surprised how ya 3m will stubbornly develop legs and wings and boom! disappear!

Trust me, you will ultimately lose that 3m eventually.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by InvertedHammer: 5:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
/
If it is not bringing in money daily/weekly/monthly, stay away from it.

Unless you have other sources that do the above.

/

1 Like

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by InvertedHammer: 5:53pm On Nov 12, 2019
betterview:

400k on 600 bags?

How naa

Cement is sold with around 200 margin naa
/
This is nairaland.
Learn to read some things for the entertainment they are.
grin
/

3 Likes

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by paix(m): 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2019
Vinceobrian:
Land doesn't depreciate ....it add value every single day
You can't be sure of that. There are times you may even lose.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by paix(m): 6:01pm On Nov 12, 2019
They all have their pros and cons. Weigh the 2 and pick the one that will give you peace of mind. You're the judge. But remember, if you are going for the land; location matters.

1 Like

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:01pm On Nov 12, 2019
A car for uber surely.

A car for uber is called starting a business but buying land is called investing your money hoping to be lucky in selling higher than you got it.

2 Likes

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by umoh461(m): 6:04pm On Nov 12, 2019
People are of the opinion that when buying land you have an easy walk as long as you meet an owner or as long as you find a great realtor. Great, but you should know what you are doing. It certainly takes more than just these to buy any parcel of land anywhere and not run into issues. It involves more research, investigation and evaluation than the casual or inexperienced can imagine. While there are more than 11 considerations to make when buying land, this article will serve as a guide to the decisions you need to make in this regard.

Budget
This is the first thing to consider when buying land. It does not matter if you already have a particular location in mind as preference; if you do not have the right budget for, you could be borrowing soon. It is important to research on the cost of buying a land; all the costs including legal fees, agency fee, cost of putting up a fence, cost of getting all the required documents from the Government and more. Have these in mind before setting out to talk to sellers.

Here is the next key factor to consider when buying a land. Consider what you are buying land for and consider the resale value before even buying. Also, do not buy a land you cannot build on, notwithstanding what you are buying it for. In considering location, always think about the growth potential of the area it is at. Some real estate writers would tell you that any location that is within 30 minutes drive from the city centre will be part of the city in 5-10 years, typical of Nigeria’s demographic growth. Speak with realtors, websites, local estate management authorities to get a good idea on locations to buy for the purpose you have in mind.

Zoning restrictions
Before you purchase a piece of land, be sure to research zoning regulations for both your property and the surrounding area. Some areas have strict rules regarding what a plot of land can be used for. You will not be allowed to build a factory where government has already marked for residential buildings. Avoid going against city regulations; you could run into horrible consequences.

There are restrictions by the Federal Government relating to building near Federal assets. State and Local governments also have theirs; buyers must find out all these and adhere strictly. A good real estate firm can advise in this regard.

Accessibility
When buying land, make sure the area is easily accessible. This could be tricky, though. Consider this; the more inaccessible the land is, the cheaper it should sell for. It would take an experienced real estate investor to tell what the seller cannot see about the land they are selling at low cost. As long as buyer can drive to within 1 mile of the actual property on sale, it could be wise to buy.

Where the property is surrounded by other property, you’d be talking of bringing in city or council attention to help establish your right of way. This could be the case in many Nigerian localities, but in places like Akwa Ibom, it is advised to negotiate with the owners of the surrounding property to get your own access. If you manage that relationship well, you could be going home with a super deal: you bought it cheap and got the access at low cost.

5. Security
Security is vital. Especially if you are buying in a place with well known insecurity issues, you must consider if government has provided enough security in the area of your interest. Also check with the community and the neighbourhood; do they have their own way of securing themselves? Are there any vigilante? A quick way to know is by observing the compounds around there; are they fenced high? That’s your signal. You can also ask unsuspecting residents around the area about harassment, robbery and thefts. The local police department also have valuable information in this area.

Environment
You would not want to stay in a polluted or flooded area. If possible, buy in rainy seasons. But even if you don’t, look around. Do the residents sand-fill their compounds? If you are buying in the tropical areas, do you find grasses growing in the middle of the road? Also, check many more times; are there factories operating in the area? You would have to live with noise and air pollution. If it is close to a busy road, the fumes and vehicular noise will be a constant. But especially with global warming worsening, you might want to steer clear of water paths to avoid being a victim of flash floods and gully erosions. That is one other to look out for. Be sure there is no burrow pit or ravine nearby; it could affect you in future.

Size of the land
Make sure to confirm the exact size of the land. Hire your own surveyor, spend that little bit more money for this. If you are buying directly from communal owners, go with a surveyor the first time you are seeing the place.

Hire a land planner
It’s a good idea to hire a land planner before buying any portion of land. The land planner will make sure that there are no possible flaws that may later become an issue. He checks things like soil type, water, vegetation, wetlands, slope and access which will determine whether structures can be erected thereon or not.

Lifestyle
Also, you need to consider the lifestyle of the people living in the area. Let’s take it that you want to buy for residential purpose. You need to cross check if the lifestyle of those living in that area suits yours. You need to consider if your family will be affected adversely or not. Although this sounds unnecessary, but it is very important. Do they have loud religious events around there? Do they entertain social activities you consider discomfiting? Is there a local betting shop, a beer joint, a bush meat joint around? You can be sure you have a potential criminal observation nearby.

Legal Documents to Consider When Buying Land
When buying land you must check to be very sure that it is properly registered. You could think the only document to check for is the C of O (Certificate of Occupancy) but this is not necessarily so. That document is only valid for 100 years, in Nigeria. If you buy a property in any of the earliest Nigerian cities and the C of O was obtained 90 years ago, you are buying a property that the Government could reclaim in 10 years. You would have to reapply for it.

Get help from lawyers that handle these things at low cost at Legalpreneur.

Check for Survey Plan, Deed of gift, Deed of Assignment, Excision, Gazette and others. This will help you to know if the land is under government acquisition or free. You will also know what the land can be used for with the help of these documents. Notwithstanding, you can still buy a land and register it yourself, but make sure you are buying it from the actual owner.

Actual Price Of Land
Land without any title would never be priced same as one with title. Registering the land having surveyed it, carrying out checks at the Surveyor General’s, fencing and all of that constitute adding value to the property.

A client family was involved in a property ownership litigation in 2014 and lost the case. A lower court had given permission to build on the land in a judgment that had favoured them, hence by the time this higher court ruled against them, they had erected some property on the land. The disagreeing parties decided to sell the land to the loser and by this time, the price of the land was determined by the property on it. They bought it first for N600,000 and had to buy it a second time for N4,000,000. When you add value to land, the price is affected. Consider these when negotiating.

https://akwaibomestates.com/2019/09/27/when-buying-land-11-things-to-consider/

3 Likes

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by Viktoreze(m): 6:07pm On Nov 12, 2019
You know which is better,meanwhile read my signature
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by Gwagone: 6:27pm On Nov 12, 2019
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn
My real niggarrr

Land appreciate niggarrr

He that has ear let em here what the spirit is saying

True talk bro
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by rafcrown(m): 6:36pm On Nov 12, 2019
Any good area in Abeokuta for land purchase?
sharone21:
What really is your end goal to make money out of them? I'm asking because unless u have money to develop the land to a house or you buy a land in a lucrative area to flip it when prices rises in a few yrs time, land may not be what you need now....do your feasibility studies well on UBER driving and see how u make some money with it first....las las, you buy a land in not so much a rushed after place but at least u have your own land and house....a place like Ogun State eg Abeokuta isnt bad.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by jaxxy(m): 6:37pm On Nov 12, 2019
aod1:
Hello nairalanders,
I and a friend were considering investment options, and the two ideas as stated above came up, which do you think is the best to go with?
What are the pros and cons of the two ideas?

Mods, please help move to front page so that we can get more insight

Uber businesses isn’t lucrative and can be problematic if Ure not the one driving ur car or not fortunate to meet a honest driver. They will reck and deprecate ur car and still live u with nothing to show for it.

However if u get a good land deal that is a great investment especially if ur thinking mid/longterm returns. I will still advise u do a proper and professional study of this land and real estate market b4 u invest.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by sharone21(f): 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2019
rafcrown:
Any good area in Abeokuta for land purchase?
There are good places of N900,000 to N1m.....but there is a growing estate@ Mawuko ( a developing place) where you can get land for N125000-150000.

1 Like

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by CaptainFM1: 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2019
Both....if only u understand them and make profit from them. No business is bad!

1 Like

Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by abbiboy: 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2019
Buy car for uber
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by iammarvellux(m): 7:02pm On Nov 12, 2019
Pls and pls go for LAND...

Make sure you are buying from the right source, with full documentation. Pls becareful when buying a land.

We offer good services to our customers who have bought from us and other intending buyers.

Its far better to buy NOW that we are offering a discount Sales promo to end by 30th November 2019.

For the sake of those reading this, For more enquiries hit the facebook page link below and the Whatsapp chat link below on my signature lets chat.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Re: Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? by SpencerM(m): 7:03pm On Nov 12, 2019
Get land, there is a piece selling around where a tertiary institution is about to be cited thank mi later...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote meets Mugabe on investment approval (PHOtO) / Which Loan App Is The Best? / How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.