Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,843 members, 7,813,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams (7365 Views)

Please Help Me To Identify And Arrest This Scammer / How Do You Identify GNLD Agencies? / How To Find A Real Work-from-home Job (and Avoid The Scam) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:20am On Nov 13, 2019
One of the most agonizing things that could happen to an unemployed fellow is for him/her to fall victim of unscrupulous recruitment. Apart from the emotional trauma attached to this, there is also the financial extortion associated with it. Some people will travel across states to attend scam job interviews.

The following are some of the tips you could use to identify fake jobs:

1. Referral system: Some of these scam jobs have referral codes. These codes are the unique code of the marketer that posted the job.

2. Contact: Legitimate jobs usually carry corporate emails or other means of contacting the firm. However, individual phone numbers or emails are usually provided in the case of scam jobs.

3. Reluctance to disclose information: Job scammers are always reluctant to disclose their company’s identity and what they stand for. They will likely tell you that the information you seek will be provided when you come for assessment.

4. Unfamiliar jargons: Another way of knowing job scammers are the terms they use. Some of the jargons they use include, “career chat”, “job briefing”

5. Research the firm: To save yourself the agony of scam jobs, try to research the eligibility of the company. You could google the firm or ask people on online forums. This has been helpful for many people.

6. Locations: This is not a foolproof way of identifying scam firms, however, it’s a pointer for further information. Certain locations are known to accommodate higher number of job scammers than others.

7. Excessive motivation: If peradventure you find yourself in the company of such fellow, one of their identifying features is excessive motivation. They will talk about how to make millions and ballooned vocational benefits. They could even show you pay slips. They will make you see how useless you are by not making millions and how useful you could be by been part of their team. They are heavy fan of Brian Tracy’s quadrants i.e employees, self employed, business owners and investors. They are skilled in the art of using motivational rhymes.

8. The snake bite: Are you familiar with the biblical Moses serpent that saves lives? Well, this one takes them. Their serpentine nature will be revealed after a day or two of the sham. They will introduce you to a different platform from what you applied for. They will ask you to make some payments which will qualify you for some unscrupulous positions and benefits.

9. Pay for Training: With this scam, a job seeker is told there’s an opening in a client’s company or something close to that, but before he/she can be given the job, he/she must attend a paid training.

10. Upfront Payment: Beware, any job that requires you to make an upfront payment before you’ll be offered a job is a scam, run! No legitimate employer will ask you to pay money before giving you a job.

Closing remarks

Job scammers are evolving every day. They are developing strategies to stay relevant. Some of them belong to both national and international certified organizations and have fully registered companies just to make them look real to gullible job seekers. You must always try to decipher what they are not saying to avoid the agony associated with it.

You can save your friends from becoming victims of job scams by sharing this article with them.

Read more at: https://patrickokunima.com/10-tips-to-help-you-identify-and-avoid-job-scams/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:23am On Nov 13, 2019
If you have any other tip to identify and avoid job scams, kindly contribute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by LeeMason(m): 7:58am On Nov 13, 2019
No visible office address well known to locales.
If they call you and say please wait by the uncompleted building we'll send someone to come and pick you up. Just run for your life.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by 21sailor: 7:59am On Nov 13, 2019
You posted and u still dey FTC
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Jobio1(f): 8:00am On Nov 13, 2019
Helpful
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by auntysimbiat(f): 8:00am On Nov 13, 2019
nice tips
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by EKITI001: 8:00am On Nov 13, 2019
thanks op
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:02am On Nov 13, 2019
They are everywhere this days. Especially marketing

3 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Jh0wsef(m): 8:02am On Nov 13, 2019
Want to earn 10-15k weekly designing with your smartphone as a side hustle?

Join the Ongoing Online Creative Designs Masterclass Today!

Check my signature smiley

2 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Jh0wsef(m): 8:02am On Nov 13, 2019
Good..
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by InansBobo(m): 8:03am On Nov 13, 2019
Great piece
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Harrison4adam(m): 8:07am On Nov 13, 2019
Example is Magdala Nigeria.. located at Opening Ikeja... They start by lecturing you on how your mates are making millions and after 6hours of talks, they will ask you to pay #30k.
Scammer

7 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by iamawara(m): 8:11am On Nov 13, 2019
21sailor:
You posted and u still dey FTC

And so?
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Kingluqman(m): 8:15am On Nov 13, 2019
O shey OP!! Any tips on betpawa jackpot today?

Lol grin
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Jubilancy(f): 8:22am On Nov 13, 2019
That was how I visited one in magodo .... seeing how wretched the staffs looked, andimmediately they switched on television to play moltivational clips I just dusted my credentials and took my self home....moaning my wasted time and transport

8 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Royalfurnitures: 8:22am On Nov 13, 2019
All these work in milk company, #6k per day.. Na dem!

Check out my signature for good quality furniture for your homes and offices
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by ralmix(m): 8:57am On Nov 13, 2019
When you chat them up and they are unnecessary strict on chat lol take note
They always do This so the job seeker would have to succumb to begging, them they strike you with any of the above tactics.

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Jalinspy(f): 9:16am On Nov 13, 2019
Run away from any interview inviting you to 7 chemline street Obasa road ikeja ooooo. i have warned you cry undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by graciouslygrace(f): 9:22am On Nov 13, 2019
I'm one of them, if it's legal and gives you money.. why won't you do it...

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by cenaman(m): 9:23am On Nov 13, 2019
Jh0wsef:
Want to earn 10-15k weekly designing with your smartphone as a side hustle?

Join the Ongoing Online Creative Designs Masterclass Today!

Check my signature smiley
Na them be thes.
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Dahyormine(m): 9:26am On Nov 13, 2019
I fell victim of one Beco Logistics at Ogba, they invited us into the small hall, gave us writing material for a mini test.
after the test, they said only 10% passed, but logically , nobody fails in their organisation.

After the test, they introduced the "CEO", a young lady in her twenties, she spoke for like 5hrs, after she concluded that for us to be a partner, we gaz pay 17k...lol
Desperate me wey just finish service needed work so bad, I sha fell for their tricks so as many other guys, they ended up to be GNLD agents.

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by chrisxxx(m): 9:43am On Nov 13, 2019
R
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by infogenius(m): 10:00am On Nov 13, 2019
LeeMason:
No visible office address well known to locales.
If they call you and say please wait by the uncompleted building we'll send someone to come and pick you up. Just run for your life.

Lol
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by charlesm91(m): 10:11am On Nov 13, 2019
Jalinspy:
Run away from any interview inviting you to 7 chemline street Obasa road ikeja ooooo. i have warned you cry undecided
true talk. Them wan use the no 7 point the op raised finish me, If no be common sense i apply.
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by charlesm91(m): 10:14am On Nov 13, 2019
Dahyormine:
I fell victim of one Beco Logistics at Ogba, they invited us into the small hall, gave us writing material for a mini test.
after the test, they said only 10% passed, but logically , nobody fails in their organisation.

After the test, they introduced the "CEO", a young lady in her twenties, she spoke for like 5hrs, after she concluded that for us to be a partner, we gaz pay 17k...lol
Desperate me wey just finish service needed work so bad, I sha fell for their tricks so as many other guys, they ended up to be GNLD agents.

same here. Young lady came with the swagger and message that’ll make one regret his life as if he’s not started. They choose me as a partner but when i found out what’s up i just no even bother report for duty.
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Olatunde10(m): 10:18am On Nov 13, 2019
Thanks.
Jubilancy:
That was how I visited one in magodo .... seeing how wretched the staffs looked, andimmediately they switched on television to play moltivational clips I just dusted my credentials and took my self home....moaning my wasted time and transport

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by waaclef(m): 11:07am On Nov 13, 2019
most of their office addresses usually are located at bus stops in Lagos especially.
Also avoid any form of payment coded as logistics/processing fee for the job.
The email required to send applications are usually suspect.
Don't go unaccompanied, inform someone and if possible go with a friend
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by renewable1(m): 11:26am On Nov 13, 2019
Ok

Affordable solar combo to power your TV, decoder, sound system and fan for 8hours daily... Check my signature now
Re: 10 Tips To Help You Identify And Avoid Job Scams by Debbcy: 12:13pm On Nov 13, 2019
Scammers everywhere.

Let's adore your waist with our beautiful waistbeads. You can send us message on 09018361870 to place your order.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Me Thank God, Just Got A Job With A Very Attractive Pay!!! / The Best Recruitment Agencies In Nigeria / HSA Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.