Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,596 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

5 Top Reasons Why Most Freelancers Fail - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Top Reasons Why Most Freelancers Fail (250 Views)

5 Top Soft Skills Employers Look Out For Today. / 150 Federal Deputy Directors Fail Promotion Exams / Shock As 21,780 Kaduna Teachers Fail Primary Four Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Top Reasons Why Most Freelancers Fail by MXray: 10:58am On Nov 14, 2019
Freelancing is one of the most profitable ways to make money on the internet.

It is almost zero capital because all you need is to have a skill and the ability to sell yourself to potential clients and get them to hire you.

But that is where the simplicity ends.

In Nigeria, 80 percent of Freelancers fail and give up just three months into the hustle.

This shows how challenging it can be to make money freelancing.

Now, if you are a beginner, struggling or a wannabe freelancer, there's hope for you…

Because in a few seconds, I will show you the top 5 Reasons why most Freelancers fail.

This will help you to know the what to do to hit it off and right with freelancing.

Let's ride!

1. Wild Expectations

This is the number one killer-monster of freelancers.

And it's not your fault.

You have been bombarded with so many, often fake, success stories that you start dreaming of the dollars and how it's going to fill your pocket before you even shift into gear one.

This is why after three months of having a dry spell, so many freelancers give up completely.

So, here's what you to do.

Tune down your expectations. Freelancing is very competitive.

Your first three months will be your most challenging one, for a lot of reasons…

• Nobody knows you.
• You are stilling learning the platform
• You are still battling with your confidence
• Your keyword is still ranking depending on the platform you are using.

So, the odds in your favor at this time are very small.

If you tell yourself this truth early, you are one step closer to succeeding than failing.

2. The Curse of Omnipresence

This is the second reason freelancers fail. The curse of omnipresence.

These freelancers want to be everywhere. From Fiverr through Upwork, to Freelancer.

And so on.

When you do this, you become a rolling stone that gathers no moss.

You simply spread yourself thing.

You'd just be struggling without having a locus.

It takes time to learn the platform and what works on a given platform.

My advice.

Focus on one platform, learn how it works there and stick to the platform.

Then when you start making money, you can increase your capacity.

Don't put all fingers in your mouth at once as a finger.

Be patient first.

3. Being All Things to All People

This one is close to the curse of omnipresence. You can't be all things to all people, you will simply lose your relevance.
In freelancing, it's the same thing.

Even if you have a basket load of skills, from graphics designing to website designing.

Don't show up as a jack of all trades.

Stick to one skill, the one that is less competitive compared to the others and brand yourself in there.

This is what is called niching-down.

When I started, I was so enthusiastic, I wanted to take any writing job.

It was a disaster.

I ended up attracting a bunch of "gay" clients that were not my type.

Only when I niched down to email copywriting, that was when things changed.

So, you have to niche down. I will be writing more on this in a later publication.

4. The Clichéd Profile Description

Before a potential client wants to talk to you. They'd run through your profile and description.

They'd want to get an idea of your personality to know if you are a good fit.

So, what do you think would turn a potential client off?

A profile description that lacks enthusiasm, doesn't resonate with your client's needs, is me-me and runs straight about how great and awesome you are. Cocky noisy profile descriptions.

These are exactly the profile descriptions that will make potential clients shelf the idea of contacting you.

So, what do you do?

Start with the number one reason why any potential client would be viewing your profile in the first place.

Start with their problems.

Let them know you know what they going through, even if you don't.

Make them feel like you do. Perception is everything in sales.

Make it count for you.

Tell them you can help them and then show them that you can help them.

Empathy and Enthusiasm will get you the job every time.

5. Wacky Freelance Proposals

No freelancer or business can ever do without proposals.

If you want to get jobs you will learn to write them right.

But what do most freelancers do?

Copy and paste, canned proposal to every bid.

Saying the same me-me cliché.

About having 10 years' experience and so on, and diverging completely from the needs and problems and solutions that the potential client is seeking to solve or get.

If you learn how to place the potential client and their challenges before your ego, success will only be a matter of time.

Conclusion

There are many more reasons why most Freelancers fail, but these 5 are right there at the top of the list…

So, if you are a freelancer or you want to become one.

These are things you must put in perspective if you want success.

P.S. I created a FREE report, The Edge Factor (The Freelancers Secret to Getting Jobs and More Jobs), where I disclosed The One Secret you need to know and How to Use it to KNOCKOUT your competition, as a Freelancer.

What you will see inside the FREE report will help you fast-track and scale your freelance hustle for good..

See the link below...

(1) (Reply)

10 Powerful Research Methodology Books You Must Get As A Final Year Student / Candel Company / 10 Plagiarism Checkers For Students That Guarantee Good Grades

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.