Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling (18128 Views)

Maduka Vows To Dredge River Niger To Onitsha To Activate The Sea Port / FG Tells Togo, Benin, Niger To Pay Electricity Bills / I’ll Tell Niger To Use Kaduna Port, Not Lagos – El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by dallyemmy: 11:50pm On Nov 14, 2019
Ok
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Nobody: 12:03am On Nov 15, 2019
musicwriter:
Absolute waste of time. There's nothing new agreed upon that wasn't in place before.

Business will return as usual once border opened.

If you want to stop rice smuggling into Nigeria, the answer is to grow the foreign rice in Nigeria. Anything else is a waste of time.

Here is my suspicion; Buhari was summoned to UK by globalists and ordered to reopen the borders.
This is just face saving strategy to sell the border reopening to Nigerians .

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Babaken(m): 12:14am On Nov 15, 2019
Henriksen:
Nigeria government has lost its vision
you can say that again bro
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Babaken(m): 12:20am On Nov 15, 2019
musicwriter:
Absolute waste of time. There's nothing new agreed upon that wasn't in place before.

If you want to stop rice smuggling into Nigeria, the answer is to grow the foreign rice in Nigeria. Anything else is a waste of time.
those policy their are trying to put in place was already there before there is nothing new. I use to tell my friends that this old just want to show the world that he is wicked if not their nothing new in the system.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 15, 2019
How about Cameroon and Chad. Most smuggling of arms and petrol pass through those axis. They should be brought to the party as well.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Bar1941(m): 1:43am On Nov 15, 2019
musicwriter:

With this your foreign mentality (colo mentality) perharps you might need to grow a foreign brain to replace this your local brain, nothing is wrong with our local rice, all that is needed is improvement in its production processes.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by ofiko123(m): 2:14am On Nov 15, 2019
Nice one..smuggling is an activity that is not supported all over the world so it should not be encouraged at all...
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by ednut1(m): 2:21am On Nov 15, 2019
Smugglers should be publicly executed
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Okemmuo(m): 3:02am On Nov 15, 2019
But they should do it hastily already. Other genuine business are affected.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by mamaafrik(m): 3:57am On Nov 15, 2019
Border closure is helpful to our economy,Buhari, and emefielawill be dumb to open the border,they are leeches
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by mamaafrik(m): 4:01am On Nov 15, 2019
Political magic,which agreement them wan follow,keep it locked for local industries to be able to march foreigners,like Dangote in cement production.All local producers are happy now,Innoson,dangote,honeywell.

Won ti get babaooo
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Mac2016(m): 4:13am On Nov 15, 2019
Dumbfounded on our lack of vision. So this has to take pains to imagine the formation of joint patrol force?
So disheartening
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Blue3k(m): 4:39am On Nov 15, 2019
Mac2016:
Dumbfounded on our lack of vision. So this has to take pains to imagine the formation of joint patrol force?
So disheartening

Lol what were you expecting to happen? The FG gave their demands yo reopen border a week ago.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Jimi24: 5:46am On Nov 15, 2019
Buhari for 3rd term if he continues like this. Fundamental solutions to fundamental Nigerian problems. Bruising and wounding the enemies of Nigeria who hide under pseudo intellectual BS to support the rape and looting of the greatest black nation. Your tears will be full before 2023.

God has decreed it
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Area4Area: 6:02am On Nov 15, 2019
All na talk talk just to make Benin and Niger happy, Nigeria is not ready to open her borders for now, let those leeching ECOWAS countries continue hoping over nothing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by aku626(m): 6:07am On Nov 15, 2019
So you mean customs have been collecting unjustified salary since. They’ve been sleeping at our gates
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Area4Area: 6:08am On Nov 15, 2019
Waladade4luv:
Make baba no open the border yet oh I want Ghana to beg us first and call us big brother
Their president and ministers have been begging and the ministers even turned Abuja to their new capital begging everyone in sight but the border must remain shut
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Area4Area: 6:12am On Nov 15, 2019
Edu3Again:
This Sowore case will not go away easily,they fear Sowore

Buhari wants to kill off the South so we cant talk.

The Borders in the North are open as the ones in the south are shut.
Why are the Borders in the North Open at Night while the Borders in the South shut?

Listen to house of Reps Member expose the lie of Borders being Open in the North

https://twitter.com/olushola_shola/status/1194973367549464577

Meanwhile another Market Burnt in Lagos bringing the latest number to more than 7 markets since october
With the closed border, they want to kill off the south

https://twitter.com/SubDeliveryZone/status/1195005022683181057

They want to kill the South
All these conspiracy theorist sef, I guess the FG sent you to go and set fire to the markets and that's how you know who ordered it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Abeyjide: 6:14am On Nov 15, 2019
local poultry farmers now enjoying the boarder closure

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Area4Area: 6:14am On Nov 15, 2019
Swanzi:

Oga u go wait taya

Meanwhile enjoy ur stone rice grin
Your president and ministers have been begging everyone endlessly
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by mfm04622: 6:22am On Nov 15, 2019
Blue3k:
Lol wasn't this falana's advice? It's what Nigeria does deal with terrorists. Nigeria's other demands still have to be addressed. The packaging requirements countries wont be a hard sell. Demanding them to dismantle wearhouses along the Nigerian border will be. Im guess the Federal government wants them 20km away from the border.

This has ALWAYS been the goal of the border closure! From beginning! The goal has been to force Benin especially to tackle smuggling from Benin. Benin has signed such agreements in the past without implementing. This FG want to show it is serious!
Without the border closure, why would Benin give up smuggling that makes up 20% of their GDP? Nigeria has to show them they will lose more if they don't give up the smuggling. In fact I am surprised they are willing to because I thought the smuggling is more important to them than the agricultural products their farmers supply Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by litaninja(m): 6:48am On Nov 15, 2019
Lol.
What's the job or the customs already? The job description of the "Border force" is what the customs is setup for.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Blue3k(m): 6:49am On Nov 15, 2019
mfm04622:

This has ALWAYS been the goal of the border closure! From beginning! The goal has been to force Benin especially to tackle smuggling from Benin. Benin has signed such agreements in the past without implementing. This FG want to show it is serious!
Without the border closure, why would Benin give up smuggling that makes up 20% of their GDP? Nigeria has to show them they will lose more if they don't give up the smuggling. In fact I am surprised they are willing to because I thought the smuggling is more important to them than the agricultural products their farmers supply Nigeria

Nigeria didnt issue any actionable policies for months. I believe this could've accomplished the same thing with the threat of closure. A joint task force is easy request to get done. Trump proved this method works with deals with Mexico. The other conditions still need to be addressed.

Smuggling is not 20% of their GDP. Informal trade with Nigeria is 20% of exports according to world bank.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Goldencheese(m): 6:52am On Nov 15, 2019
grin
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Mcuzy(m): 6:56am On Nov 15, 2019
jchioma:
Whatever.

I am sure it's only the wailers that are feeling the heat of the border closure. Zombies are exempted. "Zai baba"!

Left to me, I think the border should remain closed, it will aid local industry, but unfortunately, northern borders are still porous albeit discreetly.
when he reach this one ona mouth dey sharp . Nor worry dem go soon behead u for hate speech na dat time ur eye goodluck clear.
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by mfm04622: 7:02am On Nov 15, 2019
Blue3k:

Nigeria didnt issue any actionable policies for months. I believe this could've accomplished the same thing with the threat of closure. A joint task force is easy request to get done. Trump proved this method works with deals with Mexico. The other conditions still need to be addressed.

Smuggling is not 20% of their GDP. Informal trade with Nigeria is 20% of exports according to world bank.

The term "informal trade" is just a diplomatic term for smuggling! Haba!!! It is NOT just exports, it is what it contributes to their GDP!

The deal with Mexico is different! Mexico is NOT gaining anything from the illegal migrayto US! Most of the migrants are not Mexicans. So it is easy for Mexico to do what US want to preserve their own gain. In this case, Nigeria is asking them to give up a while lot for Nigeria's primary benefit. So you have to show them what it will cost them and let their citizens put pressure on the Benin govt

Benin's total formal export for 2018 is $937M while they import rice worth $930M which is primarily meant to be smuggled to Nigeria! Is that 20% of their export?
Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by musicwriter(m): 7:07am On Nov 15, 2019
Bar1941:

With this your foreign mentality (colo mentality) perharps you might need to grow a foreign brain to replace this your local brain, nothing is wrong with our local rice, all that is needed is improvement in its production processes.

I am more interested in Nigerian rice than anybody you know. Even Buhari can't be more interested in Nigerian rice than I am.

What I am against is irresponsible closure of border which is not the solution to the problem. How can Nigerians eat Nigerian rice, when Buhari is eating foreign rice in London?When he drives around in foreign cars?When he goes to hospital abroad?When he sends his son to hospital abroad? When his chief of staff just held birthday party abroad?

Where has Buhari shown us by example to love Nigerian made?

If Nigerian rice is good, all you need is education to get Nigerians love it but it would take some time. A military fiat doesn't solve problems, all it does is scare people for a while. When the border opened, we'll go back to square one because the root cause of the problem has not been addressed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Form Border Force With Neighbors Benin And Niger To Fight Smuggling by Blue3k(m): 7:29am On Nov 15, 2019
mfm04622:

The term "informal trade" is just a diplomatic term for smuggling! Haba!!! It is NOT just exports, it is what it contributes to their GDP!

The deal with Mexico is different! Mexico is NOT gaining anything from the illegal migration US! Most of the migrants are not Mexicans. So it is easy for Mexico to do what US want to preserve their own gain. In this case, Nigeria is asking them to give up a whole lot for Nigeria's primary benefit. So you have to show them what it will cost them and let their citizens put pressure on the Benin govt

I disputed the 20% of GDP figure you through out. There's no basis for it! The country isnt even a net exporter.

Mexico isn't the largest anymore but they still make up large portions.Getting rid of poor people and criminals is good. You dont have to use resources to deal with them. Those illegal immigrants tend to send remittances payments back to their families. Other than that I disagree with using border closure before threats to get them to table.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alleged N13.6bn Fraud: Dasuki, Others Plead Not Guilty To Fresh Charges / Major Streets In Jos Flooded (Photos) / Sarah Alade Sues Alfred Olufemi And Gidado Yushau, Demands N500 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.