Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,696 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong (11553 Views)

Five Fluids You Should Check To Keep Your Car Running Smoothly / This Honda Urban EV Concept Car Looks Like An Old Car, But Inside Is Heavenly / Toyota Camry: 5 Tips To Keep Your Car Running For A Long Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by Dmanky(m): 1:36pm On Nov 16, 2019
Thanks a bunch

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by laivwire(m): 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2019
I always wonder how cars will be used for over 30 years in the US and will still look so new. (For example, getting a Toks Golf 3). Give that car 1 year here and you’ll need new bodywork plus repairs already beyond our technicians.

Can we ever export used cars from Nigeria?
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by Ikegift4real(m): 3:52pm On Nov 16, 2019
GindoX:

You are not serious grin

Even the two ongoing election is not serious grin
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by webngnews: 4:30pm On Nov 16, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by ChiefSweetus: 7:17pm On Nov 16, 2019
gonkin:
It's not really advisable to change your transmission oil if you've been using it for a long time. If it ain't dark don't touch it. If the transmission is fine don't change the oil. Otherwise you'll have transmission problems if u change it cuz it will start slipping.

If you haven't changed it for years and the color is not dark, and the transmission switches fine LEAVE IT ALONE OOO.

Every other oil can be changed but not the transmission
Thanks bro. Toyota camry claims their transmission is for the lifetime of the car. There's no outlet sef to top up or drain as it is sealed. I haven't changed in 5yrs and transmission still shifts like a dream.
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by GindoX(m): 7:50pm On Nov 16, 2019
Ikegift4real:

Even the two ongoing election is not serious grin

Lols...
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by gonkin(m): 9:42pm On Nov 16, 2019
Peng12345:

What of power steering fluid

Omo u must change that one when it's due if not ur pump will start wining when u turn your steering wheels. Every 8 months for me depending on the color and viscous nature of the fluid but it can last 2 years. Though sometimes the fluid may be fine but steering would still be hard. Here's a trick that works though not all cars. Works for me. My truck used to be extra power steering when my dad used it so he had a hard time driving it then he called oga kazeem (local mechanic). Kazeem condemned the pump that it needs to be replaced.
When dad handed the keys over to me if u never chop u no fit turn that steering cuz its a 1992 land cruiser. So I used my usual technique. I took the cap off, oil was fine and normal when sampled on white paper (it's how I checked clarity and viscous nature of oil) then I started the engine, took the cap off, sealed with masking tape the fill hole of the pump reservoir once it's sealed. Pierce a hole or 2 on the masking tape with a screwdriver(the reason for the tape is to prevent dirt from falling into the reservoir. Drive a few miles. Say 10 or 15 miles. You'll notice the difference. Mostly works if u changed your steering oil and steering is stiff. It's a form of bleeding air out the system. Ive been using the same pump for 2 years and even a 4 year old can handle my butter smooth steering wheel. Anytime ur steering wheel has stiffness try this technique. Works a lot. Just check ur front Tyres and make sure its not little deflation that's causing ur steering to be hard
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by gonkin(m): 9:49pm On Nov 16, 2019
NigPatriot:
Mine isn't black, but it's already slipping, I have to accelerate high before it changes gear, and while changing it tends to jerk a bit. What could be the diagnosis?

Have u ever drained the fluid? And did u complete drain the fluid? Cuz most transmission problems start after fluid change especially if u own an old car. Also the kind of ATF u use matters. Seahorse and Abro is a NO-GO. If it's transmission u have to stick to specifics. Though if your fluid experiences shortage. Top that thing up cuz if it dries out you're fxcked.
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by Peng12345: 9:51pm On Nov 16, 2019
gonkin:

Omo u must change that one when it's due if not ur pump will start wining when u turn your steering wheels. Every 8 months for me depending on the color and viscous nature of the fluid. Though sometimes the fluid may be fine but steering would still be hard. Here's a trick that works though not all cars. Works for me. My truck used to be extra power steering when my dad used it so her had a hard time driving it so he call kazeem (local mechanic). Kazeem condemned the pump that it needs to be replaced.
So when dad handed the keys over to me if u never chop u no fit turn that steering cuz its a 1992 land cruiser. So I used my usual technique. I took the cap off, oil was fine and sharp when sampled on white paper (it's how I checked clarity and viscous nature of oil) then I started the engine, took the cap off then sealed with masking tape the fill hole of the pump reservoir once it's sealed. Pierce a hole or 2 on the masking tape with a screwdriver(the reason for the tape is to prevent dirt from falling into the reservoir. Drive a few miles. Say 10 or 15 miles. You'll notice the difference. Mostly works if u changed your steering oil and steering is stiff. It's a form of bleeding air out the system. Ive been using the same pump for 2 years and even a 4 year old can handle my butter smooth steering wheel. Anytime ur steering wheel has stiffness try this technique. Works a lot. Just check ur front Tyres and make sure its not little deflation that's causing ur steering to be hard

Thanks bro for the detailed explanation, I have to change mine now since the oil is below minimum and very dark, although the steering is not stiff, 2010 camry
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by NigPatriot(m): 11:57pm On Nov 16, 2019
No I haven't drained the fluid. It's still guages

gonkin:

Have u ever drained the fluid? And did u complete drain the fluid? Cuz most transmission problems start after fluid change especially if u own an old car. Also the kind of ATF u use matters. Seahorse and Abro is a NO-GO. If it's transmission u have to stick to specifics. Though if your fluid experiences shortage. Top that thing up cuz if it dries out you're fxcked.
Re: 7 Fantastic Ways To Keep Your Old Car Running Strong by NigPatriot(m): 12:00am On Nov 17, 2019
cyborg123:

What car do you drive? Age sometimes affect some critical linkages or sensors that affects shift timing and quality.

Yeah it's an old car, 2003 model precisely

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lexus Is250 / Pretty Soon Electric Cars Will Cost Less Than Gasoline Driven Ones / 13 Awkward Things That You Observe In A Danfo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.