Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo (6994 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 / Shocking Revelation Of What Led To The Death Of Obafemi Awolowo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by oderemo(m): 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2010
Eze,
the yr is coming 2 an end so does your haemorrhaging jaundice brain.
Iam sure u live and sleep awo every blesd day.
Go rot.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 3:44pm On Dec 03, 2010
Obafemi jeremiah awolowo succeeded in starving abaout 2million easterners [mainly igbos] signned off the eastern oil proceeds to his hausa fulanis masters and yorubas through the dana commission,robbed biafrans their hard-earned wealths through a 20-pound compensation'policy that's purloined and plundered all that biafran had in their bank accounts,He is indeed dead in his vile commitment against peoples innocent of his accusations,May GOD forbid such wickedness on any people,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 3:48pm On Dec 03, 2010
matazzmagi:

Obafemi jeremiah awolowo succeeded in starving abaout 2million easterners [mainly igbos] signned off the eastern oil proceeds to his hausa fulanis masters and yorubas through the dana commission,robbed biafrans their hard-earned wealths through a 20-pound compensation'policy that's purloined and plundered all that biafran had in their bank accounts,He is indeed dead in his vile commitment against peoples innocent of his accusations,May GOD forbid such wickedness on any people,

can i ask if u were in his shoes and the yorubas were invading ur land claiming they were going to enugu committing atrocity on there way raping and killing

and u had no militry base in the east then but u really want to protect ur people as a leader what would u do
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by seanet02: 3:55pm On Dec 03, 2010
For God Sake, when will eze uche start using his brain, No matter how tiny it may be, During the civil war, Awo have no Army, no Naval Force, No Airforce not even a civil defence nor Police Force to Defend His people from the ravaging Ojukwu the bingo, So you expect Awo to allow Ojukwu to run over his people.
Awo did what was necessary by changing the currency and starving your egocentric morons, As for me, i dont bloody care if millions of opponents die in as much as am defending myself and my people
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by seanet02: 3:58pm On Dec 03, 2010
alj harem:

can i ask if u were in his shoes and the yorubas were invading your land claiming they were going to enugu committing atrocity on there way despoiling and killing

and u had no militry base in the east then but u really want to protect your people as a leader what would u do
You have said it all, we need to sound it into the ear of Ezeuche that You can not declare Biafra Republic in Owerri and Moved Your Capital to Lagos.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by aljharem(m): 3:58pm On Dec 03, 2010
seanet02:

For God Sake, when will eze uche start using his brain, No matter how tiny it may be, During the civil war, Awo have no Army, no Naval Force, No Airforce not even a civil defence nor Police Force to Defend His people from the ravaging Ojukwu the bingo, So you expect Awo to allow Ojukwu to run over his people.
Awo did what was necessary by changing the currency and starving your egocentric morons, As for me, i dont bloody care if millions of opponents die in as much as am defending myself and my people

gbammmmmmm

why can't they use there brains for once
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by jason12345: 3:59pm On Dec 03, 2010
alj harem:

can i ask if u were in his shoes and the yorubas were invading your land claiming they were going to enugu committing atrocity on there way despoiling and killing

and u had no militry base in the east then but u really want to protect your people as a leader what would u do

why are you asking him?? undecided . he would not find an answer. do not waste your time with an slowpoke, its pointless. no matter how many times you prove them wrong, they will just not give up!!! you brought a valid document that the hausas, yorubas and the ss on this forum could see and disprove them yet they choose to ignore it undecided. pls, leave him. they will not take into account the soldiers that invaded and committed actrocities in the MW and west or the killing of religious leaders in the north but the selective see their own losses only!. no murder can be justified but just talking abut your losses and not others is not right. every group lost during the war. it is over 40yrs ago and my generation is moving on but you (matazzmagi) can stay and wallow in the atrocities OUR fathers (every ethnic group) committed undecided. na your palava.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 10:45pm On Dec 03, 2010
You people have rogue mentality why biafrans were getting killed in bifranland by nigerian govt/uk russia,and egypt can you people see, could not fight biafrans alone cus you dont have the strenght,all of you are sychopathic delusionary.All through these myriad you see facts which you can cross-check and many from independent,nuetral and reliable sourceses domestic and foreign were are your facts?refer to them.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by jason12345: 11:35pm On Dec 03, 2010
matazzmagi:

You people have rogue mentality why biafrans were getting killed in bifranland by nigerian govt/uk russia,and egypt can you people see, could not fight biafrans alone cus you dont have the strenght,all of you are sychopathic delusionary.All through these myriad you see facts which you can cross-check and many from independent,nuetral and reliable sourceses domestic and foreign were are your facts?refer to them.

typical mentality of "the strongest wins not the smartest" cry. your situation is pathetic
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 11:40pm On Dec 03, 2010
IT is the sinister perception of igbos the reason nigerians fought at the same time beg russia uk egypt to help them fight to keep igbos in'one nigeria when they wanted to get out of it,You have no shame not to talk of remorse because you have no consience,You like many other nigerians,
There was no intention on chukwuma nzeogwu's part to collude or conspire with igbo officers in the army and with ibo politicians and academics'to lead a coup for the purpose of ensuring the political leadership of nigeria by ibos,No doubt ibos and non ibos gave a sign of relief when the coup took place,However,some sections[?] of the nigerian saw the coup as monumental and wholesale ibo plot, olushegu obasango in his book nzwogwu page107 published first january 1987,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by jason12345: 11:52pm On Dec 03, 2010
matazzmagi:

IT is the sinister perception of igbos the reason nigerians fought at the same time beg russia uk egypt to help them fight to keep igbos in'one nigeria when they wanted to get out of it,You have no shame not to talk of remorse because you have no consience,You like many other nigerians, There was no intention on chukwuma nzeogwu's part to collude or conspire with igbo officers in the army and with ibo politicians and academics'to lead a coup for the purpose of ensuring the political leadership of nigeria by ibos,No doubt ibos and non ibos gave a sign of relief when the coup took place,However,some sections[?] of the nigerian saw the coup as monumental and wholesale ibo plot, olushegu obasango in his book nzwogwu page107 published first january 1987,

shame undecided. for what? that OUR FATHER fought a war to keep our country whole? that OUR fathers fought a war to stop the occupying of biafrans on my father's land and almost the entire southern region? that OUR father thought it was right to protect their people? undecided undecided

bruv, i have said it that the killing of igbo CIVILIANS was bad but your are just thinking about it from one point of view, why not look at it from a northern or yoruba or ss point of view undecided. when the coup gave ibos "igbos a sign of relief", don't you think it would have been veiwed as an igbo coup back then?

anyway, calm down. we have passed this, i mean 40 yrs no be small thing! can't we move on for Christ sake undecided
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 12:29am On Dec 04, 2010
1964 a group of young nigerian officers-cadets mostly northerners had been declared academically unfit and hence repatriated by the canadian military authorities.These same cadets however were pronouced commission by nigerian federal goverment no sooner than they arrived at ikeja airport.Standard of officers prerequisties had dropped drastically.So had those of discipline'- ben gbuile in nigerians' 5 majors' p. 13 1981,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by bkbabe97y(m): 6:03am On Dec 04, 2010
What I'd like to know is this:

1. What is wrong with starving your ENEMY in war?

2. Why did Ojukwu not adhere to all those who begged him not to go on his personal voyage?

3. How much do Ibos really believe they were owed?
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 5:18am On Dec 07, 2010
@bk.baby97y.You are a small pikin. Why did Nigeria choose to fight Biafra for leaving? We are progressing. The obstacles are Nigeria and Nigerians who suffer from Nigeria too. Yoruba is in London, US, Spain South Africa and Enugu, Aba, Onitsha etc why don't Yoruba leave those places to Yoruba land? Practicing and preaching hate against the Igbo is Yoruba legacy. The facts won't change. See how much of a nincompoop you are? Make an intelligent comment next time or quit the self-disgrace idi-ot,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by gogo123: 8:30am On Dec 07, 2010
awo cant be in hell,there must be a worse place for creatures like him.his world view is the nigeria of today,corrupt lazy ngbanti and aboki leeching off the sweat of the ibos and i tell you until that is overturn, nigeria will never develop, yes come and develop make we see
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 07, 2010
matazzmagi:

@bk.baby97y.You are a small pikin. Why did Nigeria choose to fight Biafra for leaving? We are progressing. The obstacles are Nigeria and Nigerians who suffer from Nigeria too. Yoruba is in London, US, Spain South Africa and Enugu, Aba, Onitsha etc why don't Yoruba leave those places to Yoruba land? Practicing and preaching hate against the Igbo is Yoruba legacy. The facts won't change. See how much of a nincompoop you are? Make an intelligent comment next time or quit the self-disgrace idi-ot,
Because a sovereign state does not recognize any form of political aggression both[b] internal[/b] and external.
gogo123:

awo cant be in hell,there must be a worse place for creatures like him.his world view is the nigeria of today,corrupt lazy ngbanti and aboki leeching off the sweat of the ibos and i tell you until that is overturn, nigeria will never develop, yes come and develop make we see
Is this one ok ? Yoruba and hausa living off ibo ? Ignorance na bad thing o anyways i hope you are not referring to the fake ibo products in Alaba market.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by stranger: 9:12am On Dec 07, 2010
gogo123:

Did you drink out of the toilet?
You must have!
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Dede1(m): 1:17pm On Dec 07, 2010
seanet02:

Some Nigerians are funny as hell. It baffles me to read from someone who accused a person of having no brain yet shows no sign of having one. Ojukwu attacked Nigerian territories as Gowon attacked Biafran territories. I shall not urge you to make use of your brain because you have none. Ojukwu did not attack Awo’s people but Nigeria. If the people who fought on the Nigerian side were the so-called Awo’s people, I say you maybe onto something.

Nigerians who fought with northern soldiers and politicians shall ever remain the enemies of Biafrans. All the so-called southerners who joined forces with northern region shall be regarded as northerners even though they are trying very today to convince undiscerning onlookers that they are southerners.

Of course, Awo was right and justifiable in his actions and unequivocal outburst about starvation and financial strangulation because he was cornerstone of Biafran enemy. Once you are an enemy of the people, you shall remain enemy of the people forever.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Ojiofor: 1:51pm On Dec 07, 2010
this picture said it all,

Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Dec 07, 2010
From a yoruba or non-Igbo perspective there's nothing wrong with what AWO did. But from an Igbo or Biafran or moral perspective AWO was a monster. Why can't people just use their thinking faculty for once. It's common sense to note that your hero may not be another man's hero. people have different reasons for linking or hating people. Are the yorubas on the forum telling us to consider AWO a hero after all he did to us. Hell No.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 3:02pm On Dec 07, 2010
Awolowo was a devil and his policies led to the present problems that the people of Niger Delta are fighting, the yoruba instead should apologize to the Niger Delta people for the federal government's policies the late premier of defunct Western Region influenced against the interest of the Niger Delta." --- Asari Dokubo. Champion Newspapers. Tuesday March 22, 2005.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 3:15pm On Dec 07, 2010
Igbo were first unjustly killed enmasse in Jos(1945) and Kano(1953) and these were unrelated to January 1966 coup. Hausa-fulani first rigged elections with their colonial masters in 1959, then 1964 and 1965; they rigged the Census in 1962 and 1963, massacre Middlebelterns in thousands in 1964 causing grave instability in that region and Western region. Are these not typical of what your Nigeria suffers still today? The coup was not ethnic and that has been clarified from relevant sources.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 3:47pm On Dec 07, 2010
chief Obafemi Awolowo, the political leader of the Yorubas and the Western Region has called on the entirety of the Yorubas to support Gowon's Federal Government. Chief Awolowo, who is Commissioner of Finance, began his statement, issued yesterday, by saying that he felt it necessary to "counter" appeals from the Eastern regime to Yorubas to desert the federal government and the Nigerian Army and liberate themselves from domination by Hausas and Fulanis. --- New York Times. August 13, 1967.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by bkbabe97y(m): 4:04pm On Dec 07, 2010
matazzmagi:

The coup was not ethnic and that has been clarified from relevant sources.

Sure! 5000 Ibo soldiers and one Yoruba soldier makes it a multi ethnic plot, right?
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by DapoBear(m): 4:26pm On Dec 07, 2010
^--- The first coup actually wasn't an ethnic plot. The civilians at that time were really, really corrupt. And Igbos dominated the officer corps of the Nigerian Army at that time, so it was mostly just demographics that caused them to be the ones who started a coup. Yoruba people for some reason weren't as interested in joining the military as Igbos were. Were more interested in other things. It was only later when Nigeria saw the importance of diversifying the officer corps.

If it had widely been viewed as an ethnic plot, I doubt the rank-and-file (primarily composed of Middle Belters, Northerners, with small amounts of southerners) would have complied.

Anyway, Gowon/Awolowo did nothing wrong in this war. Nor did Nigeria against Biafra. Wars never happen cleanly, people die, civilians are incidentally killed, etc.

The primary mistake Nigeria made was not hiring a PR firm as good as the ones the Biafrans hired  wink And the war would have ended more quickly if we'd had several commanders as good as Ben Adekunle (rather than the incompetent Murtala Mohammed.) That dude gobbled up Biafran land like it was fried chicken!  grin
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 7:59pm On Dec 07, 2010
The Igbo's break with Nigeria occurred catastrophically on 29 May 1966. On this day, leaders of the Hausa-Fulani north region(feudal overlords, muslim clergy, military, police, businesspeople, academia, civic servants, other public officials and patrons),, launched waves of premeditated genocidal attacks on Igbo migrant populations resident in the north. these attacks were later expanded to Igboland itself, boosted particularly by the yoruba, " -- Herbert Ekwekwe. Nigeriaworld. 11/18/2009.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 8:04pm On Dec 07, 2010
How can a people not think beyond where they are standing? You have been deceived, exploited and oppressed for 50 years,. The Biafran says, "come lets get out of this Oppression," they say no and join their very oppressor against a proven friend. Naturally, oppression continues, and they bid for support to win their sworn-oppressors' love, so they won't stay with a friend. Idiots, ignorant f-ools fighting the wind. Look foward to another 50 years and if alive then, make a situation self-report.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 8:12pm On Dec 07, 2010
If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation." --- Excerpt from Obafemi Awolowo's speech to Western Leaders of Thought in Ibadan. May 1, 1967.that's yoruba for you after they will turn araound and back stabbed you, Biafrans matters with Nigeria are matters of Freedom and Justice which are not adjudicated or arbitrated by opinion,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 8:22pm On Dec 07, 2010
@dapobear
"Igbo-domination" is nothing but a corrupt label and malicious attempt to reproach a whole people for unjustifiable reasons. It is an ugly bid to vilify and even criminalize ancestry and achievement.murlutala mohammed didnt gobble up any biafran land liar read history my friend b4 you comment,
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 8:27pm On Dec 07, 2010
2 years ago Since colonialists did not care about the people, they often jammed autonomous, independent nations together into these artificial units. Often they knew that the people could not coexist together as one Nation but simply yoked them together for their selfish ends. This is how Nigeria came into being, through the instrumentality of Fredrick Lugard and his concubine who actually choose the name Nigeria.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by matazzmagi(m): 8:43pm On Dec 07, 2010
They knew that their only protection against a repeat of the Jewish genocide is to have a State of their own. Today Israel is a nuclear power and only an insane person would even dream of and dare harm a Jew anywhere in the world,

When Yakubu Gowon, the perpetrator of the Igbo genocide was planning the Igbo Holocaust he and his collaborators were asking the same question: What shall we do about the Igbo problem? Igbo were everywhere, they were making money and getting rich. Hitlers solution was to exterminate the Jews. Yakubu Gowons solution was to exterminate the Igbo.
Re: The Final Legacy Of Obafemi Awolowo by PhysicsQED(m): 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2010
I'm seriously beginning to wonder about the mental health of certain posters in this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Landmark Achievements In Nigeria Since 1914 / If Buhari Was Igbo; The Double Standard Of The Yoruba. A Must Read! / Buhari Harbours No Ill-will, Grudges Against Anybody – Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.