Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (19374 Views)

As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by deltateam: 7:14am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:
I think you're taking that verse out of its context

Jesus was saying, in relation to TIME, his was shorter compared to the poor which his disciple suggested. She could still use the oil to help the poor(that will always be available), unlike him, that will be gone soon

Very sensible reply I must say.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 17, 2019
When bad bible translators do a haphazard work, you beget these.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by J2381: 7:15am On Nov 17, 2019
I'm it's simple. There will always be poor people on the planet. Life isn't perfect and as such, poverty, strife and gross suffering is a norm.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Chibuzoc(m): 7:15am On Nov 17, 2019
Poor may mean a different thing as Jesus always spoke in parables.

Poor in spirit, Jesus gave the carrot guy a coded blow. Judas Iscariot was a hypocrite who had an agenda
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by PHC4(m): 7:16am On Nov 17, 2019
The Bible has a lot to say about being poor, and we have many examples of poor people in Scripture. Since material wealth is not a sure indication of God’s blessing, being poor is not necessarily a sign of God’s disapproval. In fact, it is possible to be poor in material things but rich in spiritual things (see Revelation 2:9).

Of course, sometimes being poor is the result of bad choices. The Bible warns that laziness will lead to being poor: “A little sleep, a little slumber, / a little folding of the hands to rest— / and poverty will come on you like a thief / and scarcity like an armed man” (Proverbs 24:33–34; cf. 6:11). Following wild dreams will likewise lead to poverty: “Those who chase fantasies will have their fill of poverty” (Proverbs 28:19), as will failing to heed wise advice: “Poverty and disgrace come to him who ignores instruction” (Proverbs 13:18, ESV).

In other places, the Bible portrays poor people as having been blessed, and many who are rich are seen in a negative light. Jesus Himself was poor, not having a home or a “place to lay his head” (Matthew 8:20). The disciples and most of Jesus’ followers were poor, at least in worldly terms, but rich in spiritual wealth. The disciples even left all they had to follow Him, giving up all they owned, placing their full trust in Him to provide what they needed. Jesus said the poor will always be with us (Matthew 26:11). There is no shame in being poor. Our attitude should be that of the writer in Proverbs who said, “Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread” (Proverbs 30:cool.

The rich are generally portrayed negatively in the Bible. Wealth itself is seen as a hindrance to those who desire to enter the kingdom of God. Jesus declared, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” (Mark 10:23), and He repeated this statement in the very next verse. Why did He make such a shocking statement? Because the rich tend to trust in their riches more than in God. Wealth tends to pull us away from God.

The story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19–31) displays the temporary nature of riches. The rich man enjoyed great luxury in life but spent eternity in hell because of his greed and covetousness. Lazarus suffered the indignities of extreme poverty but was comforted in heaven forever. Jesus Himself left His throne in heaven in order to take on the lowly form of a poor man. Paul said of Him, “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich” (2 Corinthians 8:9).

At some point, as Christians we must ask ourselves: What are we really doing here in this temporary place? Where is our heart (Luke 12:34)? Are we really denying ourselves? Are we really giving sacrificially as did the poor widow (Luke 21:1–4)? To follow Jesus is to take up our cross (Luke 9:23). This means to literally give our total lives to Him, unencumbered by the things of this world. In the parable of the sower, riches are like “thorns”: “The worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke [the Word], making it unfruitful” (Matthew 13:22).

It is those thorns, “the worries of this life” and the “deceitfulness of wealth,” the not-so-subtle tools of Satan, that lure us away from God and His Word. The Bible paints for us a contrast between those who are poor yet rich in Christ and those who are rich yet without God.

Copied

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Lalami3232(m): 7:20am On Nov 17, 2019
It's well oooo

Good day everyone!!!
Are u interested in learning HTML,CSS, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, PYTHON and Microsoft SQL? Do you want to take up a career in software development (Mobile, Web and Desktop) so as to increase ur chances of getting a better paying job in 2020? Call 08146536013 or D.M. The world is going digital, so we all need to move along with it
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Awoo88: 7:23am On Nov 17, 2019
Deuteronomy 15:11
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by ecclize: 7:23am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:

Yes, I'm funny. My sugar mummy said that last night

The op brought Pastors and prosperity in it..... Very off, in my opinion.

The meaning of Jesus's statement is not to eulogise or encourage poverty. He was speaking in relation to TIME.
U are right...
but what OP is suspecting is true...
and it is evident all over the world. There will always be the poor and the rich and that is why the bible encourage giving

it is even a cause for a rich man to turn a blind eye to the plight of the poor... it there in the bible but can't really recall the chapter
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by godquality: 7:26am On Nov 17, 2019
You no see Jesus ask? I dey there when him yarn abi i dey him mind?

Bible wey get different interpretation depending who you ask and what time of day you ask.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Cutehector(m): 7:27am On Nov 17, 2019
jesusjnr:
John who was the closest disciple to Jesus put this better:

John 12:4-8 (KJV)

4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

So point of correction, it was not the disciples that said that, but just one of them.

Secondly, he said that because he cared not for the poor, but because he was a thief and was the one who kept the bag.
you are wise.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by millionboi2: 7:29am On Nov 17, 2019
NonFarmPayrol:
He meant hustleooooh

So that you wont be among them
n

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Clinton207: 7:30am On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=ecclize post=84100140]
U are right...
and it is evident all over the world. There will always be the poor and the rich and that is why the bible encourage giving

it is even a cause for a rich man to turn a blind eye to the plight of the poor... it there in the bible but can't really recall the chapter [/quits] you just said something different from the picture op is trying to paint... He is very out of context.. That verse is absolutely referring about TIME...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by izzou(m): 7:30am On Nov 17, 2019
ecclize:

U are right...

it is even a cause for a rich man to turn a blind eye to the plight of the poor... it there in the bible but can't really recall the chapter

There will always be poor people. Sick, sad, and so on. We live in a fallen world

But in the Op verse, Jesus wasn't talking about poverty. It was a comparison between him and his disciple's suggestion.

It has nothing to do with prosperity
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by TechCapon(m): 7:31am On Nov 17, 2019
jesusjnr:
John who was the closest disciple to Jesus put this better:

John 12:4-8 (KJV)

4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

So point of correction, it was not the disciples that said that, but just one of them.

Secondly, he said that because he cared not for the poor, but because he was a thief and was the one who kept the bag.
thanks for the excellent explanation.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by teehazzy(m): 7:33am On Nov 17, 2019
Please, this is totally unrelated to this topic and I apologize.

I heard Gov Sanwo Olu has denied saying Lagos State will be paid minimum wage starting from this month.

True or False?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by capitalzero: 7:35am On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

Mathew 26:9
This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

Jesus responded and said something very striking.
Mathew 26:9-11

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

What did Jesus mean by that?

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.

POVERTY is not new to the world. Nearly 3,500 years ago the Israelites were told: “Someone poor will never cease to be in the midst of the land.” ( Deut. 15:11 ) Centuries later, when accepting an act of generosity, Jesus Christ acknowledged the same hard fact, saying: “You always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me.”​— Matt. 26:11.

Poverty is a characteristics of human rulership. Jesus asked us to pray for God's kingdom
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by 2pmstcharles(m): 7:37am On Nov 17, 2019
It means. Put ya family first. Friends will always be while a family might not. Friends comes n go but not a family.

2. It means first thing first.

3. Opportunity to do good will always be there no room for an excuse.

4. Take care of ur parents now they re still with u knowing that their time is near.

5. Poverty is of nature, it ain't going no where. Always consider what has a limited time n commit to it.

Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by farmboy: 7:38am On Nov 17, 2019
This is to tell you that all the foundations you are seeing from people like billgate is all hypocrisy. When they are offering a little to the poor are they saying that there are no more poor people to feed on the remaining?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by psalmistkakah(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2019
Simple, what Jesus meant is that the poor Will always be available to help even after He is gone.. What the woman did means a lot to Him, moreover Jesus helps the poor then and till date He never forsake both the poor and rich, if only we allow Him into our live
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by tosyne2much(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2019
RichDad1:
If everyone is rich, there would be inflation. tongue tongue
You're so right and this is because poverty gives money more value.

Money would have no value if everyone is rich
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 17, 2019
Tintinnoty:
Definitely, poor people will not cease to exist. People are not only financially poor, you can be poor spiritually, physically. Even lack of knowledge is another sign of being poor. In the scenario sighted in Matthew 26, Judas is spiritually poor to see the motive of the said woman, his sense of reasoning has been beclouded by his greed which eventually drove him into betraying Jesus christ.
it is clear that verse is talking about being poor financially
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Edyice: 7:44am On Nov 17, 2019
Everyone can't be rich .

If everyone is rich , everyone will be comfortable

That's what pastor failed to teach

Some pastor only don't study their Bible to teach the truth , if you teach the truth your church will be empty

Most people can't handle the truth .. but it always good to say the truth.

2 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 17, 2019
emmabest2000:
The word POOR in that statement represent HUMBLE ! It’s only those who are in spirit will understand the real meaning of the statement !

humble? must you guys twist everything? the discussion there was about finance

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by kumulus(m): 7:44am On Nov 17, 2019
In the context of that passage, Jesus responding to the situation only was pointing out that Judas and the rest can always do things for the poor if they truly cared because before he came the poor had always been, when he's gone there will still be enough of them...but the woman only has the privileged of doing that honorable deed now that he's there. There's no issue in these at all, the intent of his statement was crystal clear
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 17, 2019
There will always be poor people and rich people. The world we live in can never be a utopian society. Some will be born dirt poor while others will be born with golden spoon hanging from their mouths.

Not all who are born poor will die poor. And not all who are born rich will remain rich throughout life.

Life will happen and roles may be reversed...or not.

In short, there will always be the poor and other will always be the rich. It is commonsensical.

As for the pastors' selective teaching, they are just flesh and blood like you trying to make a living from a book they don't understand and preaching about a Jesus they understand even less.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:
I think you're taking that verse out of its context

Jesus was saying, in relation to TIME, his was shorter compared to the poor which his disciple suggested. She could still use the oil to help the poor(that will always be available), unlike him, that will be gone soon
are you not saying same thing with op?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Judybash93(m): 7:47am On Nov 17, 2019
englishmart:
He meant Nigerians

Sad thing

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.

What Jesus said is the FACT.

What Pastors do is try and MOTIVATE YOU TO SUCCEED.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Truefaith: 7:50am On Nov 17, 2019
Check this issue up with your Bible open at

www.thetruechristianfaith.com
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Youngzedd(m): 7:50am On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:

Christ didn't come to give us money. He fully know that being rich or poor is by choice we make as humans irrespective of your religious belief.

Everything isn't spiritual. Hence wealth is concern, it knows no religion, it only come to those who are prepared for it. Those who obey the principles.

World top richest men aren't religious.

Prosperity gospel is of the world not of God.

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

James 4:1-3
1 What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you? 2 You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. 3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 17, 2019
jesusjnr:
Poverty wasn't in the beginning but man chose it by his freewill.

So the poor would always be there despite that Jesus had died for man's sins, since it would take for man's freewill to partake in His salvation.

And the fact that most men are not willing to do what it takes to be saved, that means poverty would remain.

But hypothetically if all men had of their own free will met the requirement of salvation, everything would have been reversed back to the way it was in the beginning where there was no poverty.

God bless.
are u just typing or u are actually reading what u are typing
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by WarHorse1(m): 7:51am On Nov 17, 2019
emmabest2000:
The word POOR in that statement represent HUMBLE ! It’s only those who are in spirit will understand the real meaning of the statement !

what in that verse is spiritual? When the truth proves you guys wrong, you claim "spiritual". the spiritual self, you cannot explain. you worship what you do not know.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State / Foreign Pastors Celebrate TB Joshua! / Photos From David Oyedepo's 62nd birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.