Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,366 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (19372 Views)

As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by kunkelhanspeter(m): 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2019
The same Judas Iscariot that complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

Is the same people we have today that keep on shouting vanity upon vanity is vanity that will go to any extra mile to harm someone enjoying his life to the fullest Because dey are greedy and jealous
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by mexbee1(m): 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

Mathew 26:9
This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

Jesus responded and said something very striking.
Mathew 26:9-11

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

What did Jesus mean by that?

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.

Just pray to God everyday that u wont b d poor amongst men and also work towards not being d poor amongst men
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by InvertedHammer: 2:25pm On Nov 17, 2019
/
All fingers are not equal. The world is not perfect. Bible mentioned rich and poor people many times which means it acknowledged the existence of both classes of people. The criterion for crossing over doesn't depend on tithe. You can continue to tithe and remain poor. That's what's happening today but the recipient of the tithe would have people believe otherwise because that's their source of income

Bible is a funny book. So Mathew and co. called Judas a thief and still moved with him until the betrayal of Christ. What did he steal from the disciple? Why did they retain him as the treasurer if money kept disappearing?

Who created darkness? Who created water? Whose daughters did Cain and Abel marry? No assumptions. But let's go with biblical facts.

/

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Prinss: 2:29pm On Nov 17, 2019
Upworkwriter007:
statement of fact......pastor's preach prosperity so that those who don't want to be along will excuse themselves.....But I'm also scared of the part of the bible that said "the rich was created for the poor" the word created baffled me.....

Which part sir?

Reference please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by letitrainnow(m): 2:44pm On Nov 17, 2019
Not every one will accept prosperity.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by googi: 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
Africans are very good at assuming, analysing and believing great men and women that did good deeds in their communities.

Ask these same people to do the same to people who achieved great heights in their communities by religion, culture, arts and science. They will echo those who condemned them as humans that must be reached from their "fetishes" which they themselves practice worse than Africans.

The most educated Africans are only accepted if they quote the Bible, Koran and European writers.

How much do you know about Igbo Ukwu, Hausa Maguzawi or or Sango. Check out great African writers to support your argument here, you cannot because you do not know any.

The poor Africans will always be among us, so they should accept their fate and faith you preach to them?

Yeye dey boom!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Yinabim(f): 4:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
Noel1:

Hmmmmn ur nose angry

grin is that why you are vexing ?? It’s just filter joor wink Oya smile for mama

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
As long as Satan is ruling the world {John 14:30, 1John 5:19} he will continue to promote greed and hatred. 2Timothy 3:1-6

There is no way this could be possible for him if majority aren't extremely poor while just few are extremely rich.
Take for example sexual promiscuity, it's easier to promote fornication and adultery when few ones have enough to throw away in the same area where majority finds it difficult to feed.

The early Christians committed a serious blunder by not keeping this statement of Jesus at heart. They tried to eradicate poverty in their midst and this led to the death of a Christian couple. Act 4:32-37, 5:1-11

If they have kept Jesus' word at heart they won't have thought of eradicating poverty {in their midst} under Satan's rule. Luke 4:6-7

So what Jesus meant by this statement!

There will continue to be rich ones as well as poor ones amongst God's people, it shouldn't be a matter of serious concern to them neither should they think that material riches is a sign of God's blessings, everything will become perfect under God's Kingdom NOT now!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Legendguru: 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2019
Hmmm
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nodogragra4me(m): 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.

I don't have the time to go into details but just know that the poor is a resource in the spirit realm for those with the understanding and therefore will always be around.

Op, you are however very foolish for trying to make jest of pastor not telling their members that there will always be the poor in their midst without proof from you that they don't tell their members so.

How many pastors did you visit, how many sermons from pastors on the subject did you listen to and their geographical spread before arriving at your conclusion?

Unintelligent characters everywhere with acidic opinion
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by seunfape(m): 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2019
All I know is that Bible is complete
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by ruffDiamond: 5:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
Judas was right TBH ..only he was too greedy to the point of being a fuccking SELLOUT (reason why I hate greedy folk and wary of them)
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by NovusHomo(m): 6:25pm On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:

Jesus, the greatest trick ever pulled on humanity.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 17, 2019
Obason22:
thanks for ur teaching sir.
Thank God sir. God bless you.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Youngzedd(m): 7:48pm On Nov 17, 2019
Deuteronomy 15:11

"For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.'
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by midnighter(f): 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
ruffDiamond:
Judas was right TBH ..only he was too greedy to the point of being a fuccking SELLOUT (reason why I hate greedy folk and wary of them)

He had a point but everything is not about money. The lady was making a sacrifice and he was just seeing the money aspect of it

Its that money-conscious attitude that led to his later downfall
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Yinabim:

grin is that why you are vexing ?? It’s just filter joor wink Oya smile for mama
Nice... cute mama cheesy
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Jman24(m): 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2019
It is very important not to pick words literally to drive a point. The most important aspect of a message from someone is the intent of the heart so we don't quote out of context. "The poor will always be among you" ... Jesus was trying to tell them the right things can be done and doesn't need an announcement. Same way people just feel they have done one big favour for someone and boom! They have already posted it on social media as so called "spirited individuals" . So, do things rightly because it is right. And either way, giving arms to the poor and using oil on Jesus's feet are all good provided it's done without being hipocritical

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by TrumpDonald2: 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2019
philip0906:
Well said
Says you
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by TrumpDonald2: 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:
I think you're taking that verse out of its context

Jesus was saying, in relation to TIME, his was shorter compared to the poor which his disciple suggested. She could still use the oil to help the poor(that will always be available), unlike him, that will be gone soon
Keep deceiving yourself. You thought you have made sense but you didn't. Read his write up again and check if this thing you wrote here answered it.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 4:02am On Nov 18, 2019
Cutehector:
you are wise.
It is God oh!

Thanks and God bless.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Amujale(m): 1:13pm On Apr 08, 2020
Jesus is a fictitious character that never existed.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Amujale(m): 1:13pm On Apr 08, 2020
The Christian Bible is fake, false and counterintuitive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State / Foreign Pastors Celebrate TB Joshua! / Photos From David Oyedepo's 62nd birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.