Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,513 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (19373 Views)

As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by SenecaTheYonger: 7:51am On Nov 17, 2019
RichDad1:
To every action, there are equal and opposite reactions. grin
Front / Back
Good/ bad
Light / Dark
Rich/ Poor
Up/ Down
Big/ Small
Wise/ Foolish
Happy/ Sad
And the list goes on! cool

What about fvck?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 17, 2019
henrybangs44:

are u just typing or u are actually reading what u are typing
How do you mean?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by RichDad1(m): 7:52am On Nov 17, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:

What about fvck?
Fvck/ No fvck
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Yinabim(f): 7:54am On Nov 17, 2019
Hotfreezer:
That is in the Holy Bible.

In the Nigerian Bible which most Nigerian pastors use to preach, you won't find that there. They have slim fitted their Bibles to contain only things which people want to hear. The hard truths which the Holy Bible contains, they don't preach it.

Imagine dancing for 2 hours in Church only for the Pastor to come and preach that the poor would always be among you. After that kind preaching, you go gree drop money?

That's why most collect money before sermon. In case the thing pinch you for body, you no fit talk say you no drop money again.

grin I couldn’t control the laughter , this is so hilarious.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 17, 2019
RichDad1:
If everyone is rich, there would be inflation. tongue tongue

If everyone is rich, then how do we even know if there be anything called inflation?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by MedicH: 7:57am On Nov 17, 2019
The judas guy has good intentions and is sensitive to the plight of the poor. It makes me believe that his beyraying Jesus was an orchestration and his freewill was taken away from him so that the scriptures might be fulfilled.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by KayCee92(m): 8:00am On Nov 17, 2019
Very simple, it means that some will work and also pray to God to bless them while others will not work but only pray that God blesses them. grin
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by mu2sa2: 8:05am On Nov 17, 2019
jesusjnr:
John who was the closest disciple to Jesus put this better:

John 12:4-8 (KJV)

4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

So point of correction, it was not the disciples that said that, but just one of them.

Secondly, he said that not because he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief and was the one who kept the bag.

As for your Op question, the reason Jesus said that was because poverty wasn't in the beginning when God made man but man chose it by his freewill.

So poverty would always be there even if Jesus dies for man's sins, since it would take for man's freewill to partake in His salvation.

And the fact that most men are not willing to do what it takes to be saved, means poverty would remain.

But in an ideal setting where all men had of their own free will met the requirement of salvation, the poor would no longer be there, because everything would have been reversed back to the way it was in the beginning where there was no poverty.

God bless.
Two accounts of the same incident not entirely consistent with each other. And both are word of god, abi?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 17, 2019
mu2sa2:
Two accounts of the same incident not entirely consistent with each other. And both are word of god, abi?
Human error!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Devops: 8:12am On Nov 17, 2019
Yes of course! The poor shall not depart from the land!. It's called Balancing the Universe. Everyone can't be rich. The universe will cease to exist. The poor make the world go round.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Sommydisaster(m): 8:13am On Nov 17, 2019
The poor will always be amongst you, so as a wealthy man..... You'd touch other persons life with the little you can

Meanwhile check out my signature and thread for beautiful offers on electronics
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 17, 2019
Yinabim:

grin I couldn’t control the laughter , this is so hilarious.
Hmmmmn ur nose angry
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by deraluv(m): 8:17am On Nov 17, 2019
Because he is special
Have you forgotten he’s the lion tribe of Judah
The king of kings
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by namiji2598: 8:18am On Nov 17, 2019
thay second picture is it representing foreign almajiri?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by paparazi1(m): 8:19am On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

Mathew 26:9
This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

Jesus responded and said something very striking.
Mathew 26:9-11

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

What did Jesus mean by that?

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.
Surely the world will continue to have some poor folks, our fingers are not equal. We are created equally but opportunity and grace to make wealth differs. However what Jesus address in Matt quoted by you is that the poor folks are always available to you to render assistance but for him His time is up. Finally although God gave the opportunity to make wealth to all of us Deut 8:18, your success story depend largely on your relationship with God, Grace, your associates, and personal input.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by mu2sa2: 8:23am On Nov 17, 2019
jesusjnr:
Human error!
Human error! Right inside "the word of god"!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by feelgoodstuffs(m): 8:23am On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:
I think you're taking that verse out of its context

Jesus was saying, in relation to TIME, his was shorter compared to the poor which his disciple suggested. She could still use the oil to help the poor(that will always be available), unlike him, that will be gone soon

Best Answer to the question. 3 Bottles of anointing oil for you to drink Bro. grin
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by generationz(f): 8:25am On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:
Seriously as Christians, we need to study our Bible and learn things for ourselves because there are so many things pastors will refuse to teach us in church and even if they do they won't elaborate on it.
I was reading my Bible this morning and came Matthew 26 when Jesus was in Bethany and a woman came and pour an expensive ointment on his head, the disciples Judas Iscariot complained that she was wasting the oil that it should be sold and the money given to the poor instead.

This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

“Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me?You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

If so, why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

Bible experts please explain because pastors hardly preach about this particular scripture.

In our modern is an answer to those who preach against tithing.

What exactly is the essence of tithing and offerings: to support the church administration.
You won't sit on the floor when you walk in, you want constant light, a good sound system, pastor to preach from a full belly, churches to carry out outreaches, the floors to be clean, the church to be tiled, the church to not be built with wood and palm fronds but you don't want to support with a percentage of your income as offering or tithe.

You want to be impacted by a man's years of stay, research, prayer fasting, etc but you don't want to drop something as a token of appreciation.

What do freeze and other anti tithers say:

I'll rather give my tithe to the poor than give the church/ pastor.

Well, I'm here to tell you, the poor you will always have with you.

It doesn't matter if you sell all your investments to feed them there will still be poor people around. In fact, the people you give capital today to start life might squander it and remain poor. Those you send to school might remain poor because of bad decisions.

You don't rob Peter to pay paul. You should also give unto cease what is Ceasars and to God what is God's.

Why not have a percentage for helping people out of your income and that for supporting the ministry.

I agree that some churches and pastors are thieves and wolves in sheep clothing. What you must do is find a church where you see the church uses the money for development and not just to enrich the pastors.

Also, if a man of Gods teaching imparts your life it is your obligation to give him a token.

Giving that token to the poor won't eradicate poverty all of a sudden. Why?

Because the poor you will always have with you.

God bless.

2 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by OyinO: 8:26am On Nov 17, 2019
The Bible is full of parabolic illustrations, allegories, fables and superstitious myths. The Sun of God is the Light of the World. But when Sun becomes Son, the Sun is personified as Son of God. The Sun/Son that shines in darkness. The Sun sinks into it's lowest Zenith in Winter Solstice - 22nd, 23rd and 24th and start to rise again on the 25th of December. CHRISTMAS DAY! Rebirth of the Sun! Then Santa Claus (Satan Claus) appears. This happens in the temperate and Arctic regions of earth plane. The Rebirth of the Sun after its 3 DAYS DEATH is called the Resurrection of the Sun (now Son) of God. It's all about SUN WORSHIP. What is Sun Day?? There's no Sun day in the Buybull until new testament of imperial editing. Behind the head if the Christos, there's always a yellow Sun. And at Spring time, THE SUN RISES in Easter. Yet the pale (oyinbo) man with long hair is busy BLOCKING THE SUN from reaching the Creation of the Universe. Yet pale people cannot withstand the Sun. What an irony? For they run into hiding like zombies once the Sun start rising. It's the BLACK MAN WHO RISES WUTH THE SUN THROUGH THE POWER OF MELANIN. Your Religion is Pagan mythology modified from Greco-Roman versions of stolen African, Egyptian and Babylonian Sun Worship Systems. Christianity is Fake! Has nothing to deliver except giving vain hope to the oppressed and deprived masses. It's paganism used to replace pure African metaphysical spirituality at the coming of European invaders of brutal COLONIALISM. Today, ad it was in the beginning, it's nothing but BUSINESS ORGANISATIONS sapping the dumb innocent sufferers while giving them vain hope in a nonexistent afterlife. Just to make them docile enough for rulers and leaders to keep them poor and hungry. It was started in ROME, from where it spread to Africa and the Americas through colonial imperialism. Nuff said!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by SEGLIZ: 8:28am On Nov 17, 2019
He knew men and greed are like Siamese twins, they are inseparable.
the greedy ones would seize power thereby oppressing the weaker ones making them poorer by the day.
a good example is Nigeria, Jesus did not want to see poor people but he knew men and wicked act would make men poorer.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by superrow: 8:29am On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=emmabest2000 post=84099761]The word POOR in that statement represent HUMBLE ! It’s only those who are in spirit will understand the real meaning of the statement

This is how you people misquote everything. How can poor represent humble?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by femi4: 8:29am On Nov 17, 2019
TechCapon:

Jesus was laying emphasis on the fact that pouring oil on his feet at that particular time was fulfilling a prophecy since he ll not be around forever

Lesson: In rendering service or helping or appreciating people, always start with people you might not have the opportunity to help if you delay
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by JWRITES: 8:31am On Nov 17, 2019
that there will always be the poor is true

that pastors don't preach it is good

There will be no use discouraging people in the presence of the Lord. Much like preaching hell (condemnation) instead of the kingdom of God (good news)
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 17, 2019
mu2sa2:
Human error! Right inside "the word of god"!
Yeah! Right Inside of Bible which contains the Word of God!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Obason22(m): 8:34am On Nov 17, 2019
jesusjnr:
John who was the closest disciple to Jesus put this better:

John 12:4-8 (KJV)

4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

So point of correction, it was not the disciples that said that, but just one of them.

Secondly, he said that not because he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief and was the one who kept the bag.

As for your Op question, the reason Jesus said that was because poverty wasn't in the beginning when God made man but man chose it by his freewill.

So poverty would always be there even after Jesus dies for man's sins, since it would take for man's freewill to partake in His salvation combined with the fact that most men are not willing to do what it takes to be saved.

But in an ideal setting where all men had of their own free will met the requirement of salvation, the poor would no longer be there, because everything would have been reversed back to the way it was in the beginning where there was no poverty.

God bless.
thanks for ur teaching sir.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Gabbriell: 8:36am On Nov 17, 2019
From what you have pointed out:

[/quote]

===Answers to your questions===
I tink the message is very straight forward. Here Jesus was pointing out the fact that his time here on earth as human is short.

Now the second part that said "the poor will always be among you" is simply complementing the part of his statement that said "you will not always have me".

Now to your major questions::::::::::::::

(1) Did he mean that poverty is a phenomenon that will always be in the world forever?

YES, till Jesus second coming. He will then wipe off the origin of poverty its self (SATAN)

But this does not mean God has forgotten about the poor, our duty is to help one another. Take a look at this scriptures.[/b]

Leviticus 19:9-10 (NIV)
“When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the LORD your God.”

Deuteronomy 15:7 (ESV)
“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother.”

Proverbs 31:8-9 (NIV)
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.”

Luke 12:33-34 (NIV)
“Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

(2) why are pastors always preaching prosperity? Why are they not telling their members the truth?

It is wrong to generalized that pastor don't tell their members the truth, I have known this truth since I was a kid.

The bible is made available for everyone to study not just the pastors.

Why pastor prish prosperity?
Because it is part of the Bible teaching. Psalm 125:1 says

"Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever."

It goes further in verse 2 to state that

"As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore."

So u see above that the Bible is talking about prosperity for God's people. Teaching people what to do in other to be prosperous.

So that is why teachers of the Bible including pastors preach about prosperity.

Jesus said the poor will always be among you does not mean all hope is lost for that poor. Check out this scriptures:

Job 5:15-16 (NIV)
“He saves the needy from the sword in their mouth; he saves them from the clutches of the powerful. So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts its mouth.”

1 Samuel 2:7
The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts.

Luke 11:9
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you"
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by okaforlazarus90(m): 8:42am On Nov 17, 2019
generationz:

In our modern is an answer to those who preach against tithing.

What exactly is the essence of tithing and offerings: to support the church administration.
You won't sit on the floor when you walk in, you want constant light, a good sound system, pastor to preach from a full belly, churches to carry out outreaches, the floors to be clean, the church to be tiled, the church to not be built with wood and palm fronds but you don't want to support with a percentage of your income as offering or tithe.

You want to be impacted by a man's years of stay, research, prayer fasting, etc but you don't want to drop something as a token of appreciation.

What do freeze and other anti tithers say:

I'll rather give my tithe to the poor than give the church/ pastor.

Well, I'm here to tell you, the poor you will always have with you.

It doesn't matter if you sell all your investments to feed them there will still be poor people around. In fact, the people you give capital today to start life might squander it and remain poor. Those you send to school might remain poor because of bad decisions.

You don't rob Peter to pay paul. You should also give unto cease what is Ceasars and to God what is God's.

Why not have a percentage for helping people out of your income and that for supporting the ministry.

I agree that some churches and pastors are thieves and wolves in sheep clothing. What you must do is find a church where you see the church uses the money for development and not just to enrich the pastors.

Also, if a man of Gods teaching imparts your life it is your obligation to give him a token.

Giving that token to the poor won't eradicate poverty all of a sudden. Why?

Because the poor you will always have with you.

God bless.

Hmmmm, you make sense small sha.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Psalmistproject: 8:44am On Nov 17, 2019
THE BIBLE SAYS BLESSED ARE THE POOR IN HEART FOR THEIRS IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
EVEN GOD SEES THE POOR AS A PERFECT VESSEL FOR INVESTMENT.

Jesus simply meant that we will always have people in need around us and tell me a man that has no need.
And he is not just talking about those with material needs if not, why would he say it's difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God Especially those that didn't build their wealth through him.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 17, 2019
What Jesus means, I think, is that you should not use the sentiment of taking care of the poor to be distracted from or deny of funding some key areas that are closer to the heart of God and really glorify him.

The poor will always be there. Never use that as an excuse to refrain from doing an urgent thing the Holy Spirit is laying on your mind.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by josh0200(m): 8:57am On Nov 17, 2019
The statement by Jesus Christ mean ,there will always be people in need (poor) around you ;did Christ say you are the one that will be in need? No. So the (true) pastors preach to motivate the people yet it's not all that will catch the rehma in the Word.
*For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it*

Hebrews 4 vs 2
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? by dipson4u08(m): 9:06am On Nov 17, 2019
RichDad1:
To every action, there are equal and opposite reactions. grin
Front / Back
Good/ bad
Light / Dark
Rich/ Poor
Up/ Down
Big/ Small
Wise/ Foolish
Happy/ Sad
And the list goes on! cool

PHYSICS NO GO KEE U...

TOO MUCH BOOK IN YOUR HEAD....

KIKIKIKIKIKIKIKI.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State / Foreign Pastors Celebrate TB Joshua! / Photos From David Oyedepo's 62nd birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.