Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations (22137 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ex-Rivers Commissioner As DG Of Border Agency / Higher Revenue, Reduced Fuel Usage, Rice Production Are Gains Of Border Closure / Buhari Appoints Junaid Abdullahi, His Son-In-Law As Head Of Border Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 2:31pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Topic is talking about border closure and you're here trying to derail about the President's travels, why not open another thread for that?

If d thread is about closure, have u been able to tell me how urself have taken advantage of & "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 2:33pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

Then implement ur plans first &come back with ur testimony b4 u start telling people what they should do or shouldn't do.

I know that's the direction you're aiming at! grin

I advocated that people should into agriculture not commanded them to. So I must implement my plans, then come back and start explaining and convincing people that they should join agriculture? grin grin

A smart person makes research, devise a plan and takes the plunge without necessarily waiting for anybody's testimony.

Nobody is saying that Agric is a ponzi scheme, but anybody is waiting for another person's testimony before venturing into anything, that person is not ready to improve.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

If d thread is about closure, have u been able to tell me how urself have taken advantage of & "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"?
At least you've agreed you wanted to derail with travels wahala, I only advised you to take advantage and not give me details, if you want me to give you details then open another thread for that and stop trying to derail.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:35pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:

https://www.businessamlive.com/jan-31-not-terminal-date-for-border-closure-customs/

Please!! Are you aware the minister for foreign affairs had a meeting with his ECOWAS counterparts last week?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:39pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Please!! Are you aware the minister for foreign affairs had a meeting with his ECOWAS counterparts last week?
What was the outcome of the meeting please?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
One smuggler spotted, borders remain shut.

https://www.businessamlive.com/jan-31-not-terminal-date-for-border-closure-customs/

So no hope for you for now, take heart
Stop labeling people criminals just cause they don't agree with you.
Not everything about rice is smuggling. There's smuggling yes but dats because customs failed at their jobs.
The question is why should Nigerians be paying for customs failure.
BTW, I'm not against local rice, I used to farm it myself before i moved on to other things and I can tell you there's been no time local rice was not selling well. It can't compete with foreign rice due to quality not price. There has always been a market for it. This artificial scarcity is only robbing Nigerians to pay RIPAN who have become more of a political group lately as you can see from the op.
The govt is just creating millionaires at the expense of ordinary Nigerians.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by concho(m): 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2019
krasican:

Can I get ur contact
07037431996 WhatsApp will be better
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Norhim(m): 2:50pm On Nov 17, 2019
BLOODY NIGERIANS GOVT_They encourage us to keep eating stone rice why they are eating good food and receiving good treatment in abroad...I DON'T KNOW WHERE NIGERIA IS HEADING TO...Nigeria is a country where you must fight for youself..BLOODY POLITICIANS
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by 1stNumeroUno: 2:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
Beremx:
go to the open markets and take pictures or you keep quiet. That's how you people keep promoting Audio Rice.

Inasmuch as I buy local rice, the high cost of it is outrageous. For how long will the price keep going high and not becoming affordable? That's my concern.

You're just on point on the price. It's annoying that the rice with very low quality is competing price with first grade rice.
Instead of the manufacturers to look into quality improvements all they're shouting is "we are making profit now".
Wait; what's Consumers Protection Councils' work sef?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:56pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Stop labeling people criminals just cause they don't agree with you.
Not everything about rice is smuggling. There's smuggling yes but dats because customs failed at their jobs.
The question is why should Nigerians be paying for customs failure.

BTW, I'm not against local rice, I used to farm it myself before i moved on to other things and I can tell you there's been no time local rice was not selling well. It can't compete with foreign rice due to quality not price. There has always been a market for it. This artificial scarcity is only robbing Nigerians to pay RIPAN who have become more of a political group lately as you can see from the op.
The govt is just creating millionaires at the expense of ordinary Nigerians.
You made valuable points and so sorry about labeling you a smuggler anyway.

Do you realize that farmers in different countries like Japan, Switzerland, the EU etc are all very strong political groups trying to protect their interest? Their governments protect and support them because they equally want their countries to be food secured.
Local rice has different brands and variety depending on your pocket, the stoned unmilled and the stone free milled and polished rice are all there so it's all about your choice and pocket.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by themaestro08(m): 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2019
Kerfuffle:
Local rice production is catching up! The major problem is still distribution. Local rice milled to standard quality still sells for 14-15k in many parts of the country, and even cheaper in some parts.

This is a big opportunity for the citizens. Nigeria youths I repeat, Go into Agriculture, and you'll most likely smile soon enough.

President Buhari please keep all the borders locked!
Am pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Virus99: 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2019
concho:
local rice right ?

Yes o
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Virus99: 3:04pm On Nov 17, 2019
bellooyin:
I can supply you, 16k for 50kg,Free delivery within ilorin

Ok please where's ur location
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:20pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
You made valuable points and so sorry about labeling you a smuggler anyway.

Do you realize that farmers in different countries like Japan, Switzerland, the EU etc are all very strong political groups trying to protect their interest? Their governments protect and support them because they equally want their countries to be food secured.
Local rice has different brands and variety depending on your pocket, the stoned unmilled and the stone free milled and polished rice are all there so it's all about your choice and pocket.
You're correct on farmers forming political groups. It's not a bad thing but you should then realise that you can't politicise quality. It can't happen. If RIPAN claimed the onset of border closure that rice will sell for 13k and we are now buying for 18k, we should call them out for deceiving us not hail them. The problem is we don't want to put in the effort as a country but just wish to force rice production into existence. It can't happen like that.
You can agree with me that if foreign rice were allowed in, within a week, the price of rice will drop drastically even though it is of better quality. You should now ask why a product of higher quality is cheaper than that of lower quality. It's simply the availability. There's nothing you can use to cover this fact!! If local rice is available in very large quantity, I can assure you the price will drop drastically. Note that we're in harvesting season presently. What happens in January/February when dry season farming which is not done at same level as rainy season sets in?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by urahara(m): 3:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
Beremx:
go to the open markets and take pictures or you keep quiet. That's how you people keep promoting Audio Rice.

Inasmuch as I buy local rice, the high cost of it is outrageous. For how long will the price keep going high and not becoming affordable? That's my concern.

And foreign rice in Benin is allegedly 7000 naira.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 3:28pm On Nov 17, 2019
johnmattew:
go to the market and make research yourself b4 believing bloggers with their investigation full of lies......I wanted to buy caprice last week in Lagos,I searched the whole area but couldn't find any foreign rice,except local rice....I had to buy the local rice....I haven't regretted my purchase ever since.local rice is sweeter and perfect for rice and stew and jollof

Hoq much did you buy it
I mean for a bag
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 3:29pm On Nov 17, 2019
urahara:

Do u mean it were in benin pleass
You mean a bag of foreign rice 7,000
Please were
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

You're correct on farmers forming political groups. It's not a bad thing but you should then realise that you can't politicise quality. It can't happen. If RIPAN claimed the onset of border closure that rice will sell for 13k and we are now buying for 18k, we should call them out for deceiving us not hail them. The problem is we don't want to put in the effort as a country but just wish to force rice production into existence. It can't happen like that.
You can agree with me that if foreign rice were allowed in, within a week, the price of rice will drop drastically even though it is of better quality. You should now ask why a product of higher quality is cheaper than that of lower quality. It's simply the availability. There's nothing you can use to cover this fact!! If local rice is available in very large quantity, I can assure you the price will drop drastically. Note that we're in harvesting season presently. What happens in January/February when dry season farming which is not done at same level as rainy season sets in?
Nice points though some I no gree o, you know that for now demand has outstripped supply and prices are bound to increase but with time and as more farmers go into production, supply and demand would equal and supply could outstrip demand which would force the price down.

Do you realize that the FG in care of the CBN is now helping interested people who want to set up mills, Coscharis Mill is one of the beneficiaries. So the FG is doing something about it. Allowing for rice imports may negate some gains made already.

I totally disagree that local rice is of lower quality, I don't know your location but where I stay, you have different brands and varieties, from the unmilled stone filled, starchy dusty one with some husk to the milled stone free and well polished rice that very many people mistake for foreign rice and not as expensive as you're stating it. Do you realize that some Nigerians rebag those well polished local rice and sell as foreign rice since some Nigerians still insist foreign is best? For their mind dem dey chop foreign rice not knowing na pure local rice dem dey on top. They'd still buy it at the price of foreign instead of local
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2019
urahara:

It should go lower because the excess rice headed for Nigeria is now in their custody, let them eat only rice as much as they can

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by tete7000(m): 3:49pm On Nov 17, 2019
izzou:

Your point being that the borders should be opened?

It is custom duties and excise that are used to protect local industries not arbitrary border closure. Border technically was never opened. It is corruption of custom men killing Nigeria. Instead of Alli and Bubu to tackle corruption they resort to border closure. They are seeking short cut to custom corruption but we know short cuts don't solve problems, they aggravate them...
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
themaestro08:
Am pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.

Okay. I'll not argue with you. Continue to buy local rice at 24k from greedy dealers. Have a nice day. kiss kiss
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by urahara(m): 3:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
gregyboy:

Do u mean it were in benin pleass
You mean a bag of foreign rice 7,000
Please were

I'm talking about Benin republic.

I don't know where.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by concho(m): 3:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
Virus99:

Yes o
can give u stone free and polished for 14k
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by bellooyin(f): 3:56pm On Nov 17, 2019
Virus99:

Ok please where's ur location
ilorin sango

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Lifestone(m): 4:20pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Go and read how China became a giant ,contrary to the wrong notion that China became great as a result protectionism , China actually became great when Bill Clinton made great effort to integrate them into the world economy because the Americans needed to access the Huge Chinese market before any other nation did . Please I have dropped a couple of links for you to learn
https://slate.com/business/2016/09/when-china-joined-the-wto-it-kick-started-the-chinese-economy-and-roused-a-giant.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-the-world-opened-the-gates-of-china-1532701482
https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/how-bill-clinton-and-american-financiers
Thanks.
I have taken time to read through your links and it makes interesting reading. There are few things that I however wish to point out to you:
First is that for almost 60years before free market, the Chinese economy was closed, as people eat and use only what they can produce. The Chinese economy was therefore ready when they opened up in early 2000.
China as at the time it opened up, was already wired for production and are already self sufficient in the basic things they needed. The country was ready to take on the world.
China by herself approached to join WTO and Clinton only helped them with the mind set of an advantage to the US
What followed are regrets from the almighty America, China leveled them because Clinton could not measured the readiness of the Chinese.
Even today, the world model of Capitalism (United State of America) is protecting her agricultural sector through subsidy and is using tariff to block the continuous incursion of the Chinese into US market. The trade surplus between the two countries will give you an idea of why Nigeria must protect critical sector like agriculture especially on crops we can easily produce

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 4:22pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
At least you've agreed you wanted to derail with travels wahala, I only advised you to take advantage and not give me details, if you want me to give you details then open another thread for that and stop trying to derail.

D advise u say u are giving, have u taken d advise urself? How do u put urself in a position of giving advise when u haven't even taken ur own advise? So once again I ask, tell me how u have taken advantage of & "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians".

As regards whether d thread is being derailed or not, can u pls intimate me once again as to why buhari closed d border.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Debaiz: 4:24pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Noodles and pasta are not Nigerian product so I don't know how protectionism helps them.
As for cement, dangote cement is not cheap. That's why affordable housing is still a mirage in Nigeria. So how has protectionism helped there except enriching the man?

You mean dufil(indomie), flour mill, and dangote aren’t making noodles and spaghetti in Nigeria?

You’re so ignorant and I’m trying hard not to switch to insulting you.

We’re talking about growth of industry, you’re talking about cheap. They’re two different things entirely.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Lifestone(m): 4:25pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

If importing things like rice will hurt economy, how is buharis constant "private visits" and medical trips to d UK helping d economy? How come his 80year old had his b'day in d UK instead of Nigeria? How come buhari & his family have a complete disdain 4 Nigeria & u think they are doing Nigerians a favour by blocking d access Nigerians have to alternatives?

Bro how would two wrongs make a right? I do agree with you that the President should be the Chief Marketer of made in Nigeria. That aside the ban on imported rice is the best policy decision PMB made in his Presidency.
Mind you, I am not a fan of PMB, but he got this right and we should all support him
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 4:28pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

D advise u say u are giving, have u taken d advise urself? How do u put urself in a position of giving advise when u haven't even taken ur own advise? So once again I ask, tell me how u have taken advantage of & "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians".

As regards whether d thread is being derailed or not, can u pls intimate me once again as to why buhari closed d border.
Please open another thread for that and we can discuss, don't derail this after all I wasn't forcing anyone just advising. Let's continue with the border closure.

Buhari decided to close the border because neighbouring countries were distorting our agricultural policies by encouraging smuggling into Nigeria despite knowing that it negates the ECOWAS protocols we all signed up to.
Buhari wanted to protect our farmers and encourage them into more production so that we can have food security, that was why he increased tariffs on rice importation and warned Benin, Niger and Cameroon over the ongoing smuggling on several occasions.

When they refused to listen and act, the FG acted in the interest if Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 4:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
urahara:

I'm talking about Benin republic.

I don't know where.

Lol...we need to open the borders not everyone xsn bear this hardship...
Am a Rice lover of a person
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Ajibade123(m): 4:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
The farmers don't really know how to sell there product..

see how you can make money from your farming business https://explicitsuccess.com/best-way-to-make-money-farming/
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 4:31pm On Nov 17, 2019
Kerfuffle:

I know that's the direction you're aiming at! grin

I advocated that people should into agriculture not commanded them to. So I must implement my plans, then come back and start explaining and convincing people that they should join agriculture? grin grin

A smart person makes research, devise a plan and takes the plunge without necessarily waiting for anybody's testimony.

Nobody is sayong that Agric is a ponzi scheme, but anybody is waiting for another person's testimony before venturing into anything, that person is not ready to improve.

Yes u should implement whatever plans u have b4 u start trumpeting how good agriculture is. Its when u have practised agriculture that u can better well advise others. D research u saying u doing is what? Isn't it peoples testimonies that u are using as a guide? For all we no, u might get into agriculture. U might not. No one knows. Take ur time and practice first b4 u start advocating. U will even inspire people a whole lot more. That's d truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

President Tinubu Returns To Nigeria / Population Figure: Stop Misinforming The Public - Itsekiri Leaders Warn Ijaw / Certainly, Femi Adesina Has Finally Lost His Mind - Femi-fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.