Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (12384 Views)

FG To Commence Work On Three Coal Power Plants / Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines / G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by SAKUR: 1:52am On Nov 19, 2010
The Russian Federation is to assist Nigeria to construct nuclear power plants as a long-term solution to the nation’s power challenges.

This was one of the outcomes of bilateral talks held between the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Odein Ajumogobia, and his Russian counterpart, Mr. Sergey Lavrov, in Abuja on Wednesday.

Ajumogobia said that Nigeria, as a signatory to the protocol on nuclear non-proliferation, was only interested in nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

He said that inadequate power supply remained one of Nigeria’s greatest challenges, adding that the country could use Russian expertise to find a lasting solution to the protracted power crisis.

According to him, “We believe that nuclear power will be to our benefit in the long-term. With regard to safety, we subscribe to all the protocols. We are also signatories to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

“Therefore, we have no concerns as regards safety; we will ensure that these protocols are carefully observed.”

Ajumogobia also said that Nigeria and Russia had a mutually beneficial relationship, which would be 50 years old on November 25.

In his response, Lavrov said his country was prepared to take relations with Nigeria to the next level.

He said details of some of the mutually beneficial agreements had been ironed out at an earlier meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan.

According to him, some of the issues are “capital protection and peaceful nuclear energy.”

Lavrov also said, “We will continue our negotiation about the construction of nuclear power plants in Nigeria.”

He disclosed that Russian carriers would soon be deployed in sending two of Nigeria’s satellites into orbit.

The Russian minister, who was on a one-day working visit to Nigeria, has since returned to his country.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011191485431
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by sayso: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2010
you cannot handle COAL energy,you are battling with CRUDE energy and you want to go NUCLEAR.Is that not a time bomb waiting for explosion?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by JudgeDredd: 12:01pm On Nov 19, 2010
What happens when MEND or any other aggrieved persons decide to bomb this nuclear plant Nigeria is definitely a no go area for such at least not until we learn adequate maintenance culture and how to keep our house in order. . . .
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by FBS: 12:02pm On Nov 19, 2010
Why Russia? just asking. . .

Anyways, na still "talks" sha!  cheesy
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by kobikwelu(m): 12:08pm On Nov 19, 2010
all hot air, at the expense of taxpayers money

all for vision 2050, angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by okstol: 12:09pm On Nov 19, 2010
Its better we seek for France, USA, or Germany's expertise rather than this controversial entity called Russia. Apart from that, Russia is prone to unnecessary accidents in building stuffs like this.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 19, 2010
Chernobyl is coming Chernobyl is coming

hello radiation
hello mushroom cloud
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by violent(m): 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2010
sayso:

you cannot handle COAL energy,you are battling with CRUDE energy and you want to go NUCLEAR.Is that not a time bomb waiting for explosion?

Gbam!
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by youngsam1: 12:24pm On Nov 19, 2010
Russia again, after destroying Ajeokuta steel project they have come to our power sector. God will help these country
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by thweraja10: 12:30pm On Nov 19, 2010
see Nigerian all of una no won die. Abeg Russia Build it and MEND might just GBOA.

Thats a sound blast like what we see in TV.

Nigerians too get corrupt mind.

To me its a welcome development
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by FBS: 12:31pm On Nov 19, 2010
okstol:

Its better we seek for France, USA, or Germany's expertise rather than this controversial entity called Russia. Apart from that, Russia is prone to unnecessary accidents in building stuffs like this.
I thought I was the only one who was of this opinion. +5.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Tmoni(m): 12:47pm On Nov 19, 2010
I am in total support of generating electricity through nuclear power

It is a clean and viable method, if managed properly

Although rather than a Russian company, I will suggest we disccus with Areva & Westinghouse (French & Japanese owned American company). these are experts in nuclear technology.

I believe it will also work well if the nuclear plant is situated in a relatively stable state like Ogun state which also has access to flowing water, to cool the reactors,

Security on the site will be fortified and maintenance will be initially udertaken by "expatriates" and later taken over by Nigerians.

It should also be a Private Public Partnership programme hence, it will be better managed, provide employement and boost the GDP of the country
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Basics007: 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2010
Hope this talk will go into mute mode insha allah. Ordinary arms depo we cant handle. Lailai
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by mutw(m): 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2010
Lets wait and see if Nigeria would be sanctioned for this because Iran is being sanctioned for her nuclear power despite all the claims it proclaim for peace and to power its energy.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by oshoriamhe: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2010
Do we forget the Chenobyl disaster so soon? Hw has Russia fared since then? Nuclear Power, I say Ng is not yet ready!
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by thweraja10: 1:06pm On Nov 19, 2010
T Money that was GBAM infact Nigeria needs people like you. That was cool
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Exponental(m): 1:10pm On Nov 19, 2010
it's good to dream.
But we need results!
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by BiggySmalz(m): 1:26pm On Nov 19, 2010
Less talk and more actions pls to the president.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2010
LWKMD grin grin grin grin
Nuclear ke.
a Good way to NU"CLEAR" the money.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by blakmonsta: 2:08pm On Nov 19, 2010
@posters

Modern Nuclear reactors should not be prone to chernobyl type disasters. And if the worst should happen, the plant can be situated in a region far from civilisation. The entire settlement can be evacuated and quarantined if a disaster is seen approaching.

Clean cheap energy is what we need in this country. MEND bombing the place or whatever are just silly excuses. They may as well bomb Kainji dam. Detonating a bomb in a nuclear reactor will not set off a nuclear explosion in and of itself, nuclear explosions are not the same as normal explosive reactions.

Iran is sanctioned because they are using their reactor to build weapons. All we need to do is bow down to our American overlords and let them come and lock down/monitor/tax the place to hell and back, because the promise of clean energy is worth any humiliation we need to endure in order to get it.

or are you not tired of PHCN/NEPA cripling the economy?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Phate07(m): 2:39pm On Nov 19, 2010
Russia and Nuclear Energy do not and should not appear in the same sentence! undecided
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 19, 2010
blakmonsta:

@posters

Modern Nuclear reactors should not be prone to chernobyl type disasters. And if the worst should happen, the plant can be situated in a region far from civilisation. The entire settlement can be evacuated and quarantined if a disaster is seen approaching.

Clean cheap energy is what we need in this country. MEND bombing the place or whatever are just silly excuses. They may as well bomb Kainji dam. Detonating a bomb in a nuclear reactor will not set off a nuclear explosion in and of itself, nuclear explosions are not the same as normal explosive reactions.

Iran is sanctioned because they are using their reactor to build weapons. All we need to do is bow down to our American overlords and let them come and lock down/monitor/tax the place to hell and back, because the promise of clean energy is worth any humiliation we need to endure in order to get it.

or are you not tired of PHCN/NEPA cripling the economy?

Dear Sir, I hope you are simply joking about the matter, if not, have you witnessed Emergency response operations subsequent to Jos Crisis, Owan Dam Flood, Ikeja Bomb Blast etc, Nigeria does not have an active (standby) Emergency Response Strategy or Human Capital to handle consequences of a Nuclear Reactor Meltdown.

I also hope you are kiddin about detonating explosives in a Nuclear Reactor, Yes you may not get a nuclear explosion but you will get a fatal radiation leakage the kind that wiped out chernobyl years ago. If you are suggesting a remote site in Nigeria, where exactly, Do you even know the geographical expanse of Chernobyl to appreciate the coverage of radiation that engulfed the area. Please you and other Nigerians with similar support for such infrastructure without adequate training/maintenance culture should not annihilate Nigeria

http://howbigreally.com/dimension/environmental_disasters/chernobyl

A disaster like Chernobyl will wipe out not just Nigeria but the entire West/East and North Africa, here is an image to show you what i mean

Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by bidemi12(m): 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2010
Everyone please get ready for complete and total radiation poisoning, grin
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Tunsbobo(m): 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2010
voltron:

Dear Sir, I hope you are simply joking about the matter, if not, have you witnessed Emergency response operations subsequent to Jos Crisis, Owan Dam Flood, Ikeja Bomb Blast etc, Nigeria does not have an active (standby) Emergency Response Strategy or Human Capital to handle consequences of a Nuclear Reactor Meltdown.

I also hope you are kiddin about detonating explosives in a Nuclear Reactor, Yes you may not get a nuclear explosion but you will get a fatal radiation leakage the kind that wiped out chernobyl years ago. If you are suggesting a remote site in Nigeria, where exactly, Do you even know the geographical expanse of Chernobyl to appreciate the coverage of radiation that engulfed the area. Please you and other Nigerians with similar support for such infrastructure without adequate training/maintenance culture should not annihilate Nigeria

http://howbigreally.com/dimension/environmental_disasters/chernobyl

A disaster like Chernobyl will wipe out not just Nigeria but the entire West/East and North Africa, here is an image to show you what i mean

Mr man, shut up your smelling mouth if u don't have anything reasonable to say. You are part of those jobless mad people who just sit down in a corner criticising the actions of the government, but in reality; have nothing reasonable to contribute as per the growth of the economy and the nation as a whole! Most developed countries use Nuclear energy as their major source of power, i don't see anything bad in following their trend. You made a lot of hyperbolic statements; especially about the hazards or disadvantages of Nuclear, But i believe you over exaggerated your facts. Lets all support Nuclear power, its our only way out of this Mess. Its the only solution to the power crisis in Nigeria!
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by manny4life(m): 3:27pm On Nov 19, 2010
Please this nuclear thing on scares the hell out of me, I know that I'm no scientist by study but there are cleaner and greener ways of producing electricity. Have they considered options like hydroelectricity, less carbon emissions and pollution, how about solar energy, these are renewable sources of energy yet cheaper in the long run and doesn’t require complex process. I know the North has lots of sunlight at least 10hrs a day; building several power plants in that area would generate a sustainable amount of electricity needed. Even wind mills are considered one of the best options, currently explored by so many industrialized nations converting into greener energy.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by manny4life(m): 3:34pm On Nov 19, 2010
Tunsbobo:

Mr man, shut up your smelling mouth if u don't have anything reasonable to say. You are part of those jobless mad people who just sit down in a corner criticising the actions of the government, but in reality; have nothing reasonable to contribute as per the growth of the economy and the nation as a whole! Most developed countries use Nuclear energy as their major source of power, i don't see anything bad in following their trend. You made a lot of hyperbolic statements; especially about the hazards or disadvantages of Nuclear, But i believe you over exaggerated your facts. Lets all support Nuclear power, its our only way out of this Mess. Its the only solution to the power crisis in Nigeria!

Your statement is somewhat incorrect; no doubt developed countries use Nuclear energy, however; it's not a major source. Energy statistics showed that Hydroelectricity more than doubled nuclear electricity, and the U.S. being the largest using nuclear technology has yet to propose in the long run it won't be renewing licenses to operate Nuclear power plants at least that are for the long run say in 2050 when most are meant to expire.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by ohaechesi(m): 3:39pm On Nov 19, 2010
if the Rusian are the Nigerian government best option and nuclear power plant viable for constant power supply in the nation, i suggect we give them the benefit of doubt
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by manny4life(m): 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2010
ohaechesi:

if the Rusian are the Nigerian government best option and nuclear power plant viable for constant power supply in the nation, i suggect we give them the benefit of doubt

Best option in terms of what? I believe the govt should explore cleaner and greener options that produce a huge amount of electricity as well.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Obiagu1(m): 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2010
They didn't talk about the location. In case they need suggestions, I'm suggesting Sokoto, so far away from my people because the nuclear plant must explode due to lack of maintainance.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by holydante(m): 4:02pm On Nov 19, 2010
manny4life:

Your statement is somewhat incorrect; no doubt developed countries use Nuclear energy, however; it's not a major source. Energy statistics showed that Hydroelectricity more than doubled nuclear electricity, and the U.S. being the largest using nuclear technology has yet to propose in the long run it won't be renewing licenses to operate Nuclear power plants at least that are for the long run say in 2050 when most are meant to expire.

This does not call for abuse, it has to be drilled down to the core. Just like we put satellite in the orbit that got lost, toying with nuclear plants is no child's play. We may have the funds to throw about this project but are we really prepared and ready with the EIA? we do a lot of EIA's here but it amounts to nothing.

Someone is talking about evacuation in the eventuality of the eventful but this is a country where ordinary flood victims are left to their caprices how much more a nuclear disaster? Where do we store the radioactive spent fuel rods?? I guess Boko haram guys will soon lay their hands on nuclear materials and wreck better havoc than they are doing now. Hydro generation is what this country can  afford and should stick to it for now

Albeit, why must it be Russia again? Ajaokuta and Alscon Ikot Abasi is still fresh in memory, China can do better grin grin
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by aljharem(m): 4:05pm On Nov 19, 2010
Obiagu1:

T[b]hey didn't talk about the location. In case they need suggestions[/b], I'm suggesting Sokoto, so far away from my people because the nuclear plant must explode due to lack of maintainance.

gbam no location

why would u suggest sokoto, is sokoto not a hotter climate than enugu

i suggest enugu because the heat in sokoto would make the nuclear pant unstable, or what do u think undecided
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 19, 2010
Tunsbobo:

Have you expressed your idiocy perfectly?  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Verify Paypal From Nigeria? / Igbos And Hausas Who Are Richer / Gtbank Emerges Nigeria’s 2017 Bank Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.