Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 (40920 Views)

Lagos Workers Get 20% Salary Increase, LASG To Implement From January 2023 / Unions To Close Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 (details) / Lagos Bus Conductors To Wear Uniforms From January 1 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by Jordan97: 7:07am On Nov 18, 2019
cheesy
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by adenigga(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2019
ProsperChild:
Unions to shut down banks nationwide from January 2, 2020
sunnewsonline.com Nov 18, 2019 4:53 AM
Bimbola Oyesola

Bearing last minutes intervention by the Federal Government, workers in the nation’s banking sector at the weekend threatened to ground all banking operations nationwide begining from January 2, 2020.

The Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) and its counterpart, the National Union of Banks Insurance and Financial Institutions (NUBIFIE) told newmen at the weekend that workers in the sector would embark on an indefinite strike over failure of their employers to review the Collective Bargaining Agreement in line with extant law. Speaking at the ASSBIFI 10th Triennial National Delegates Conference held at the NAF Conference Centre, Abuja, the President of the union, Oyinkansola Olasanoye said there has been a deliberate disrespect of Human Rights by some of the employers (Banks) contrary to the provision of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) anchored principle three of Nigeria sustainable banking principles (July 2012).

“We have been stretched beyond limit and we are by this meeting informing our employers and the Federal Government that if they employers in the banks fail to come to the negotiating table as we have written them, by January 2, 2020 the two unions in the sector will shut down operations,” she stated. She lamented that despite the fact that the union as a reasonable trade union has continued to use dialogue option, the employers have been reluctant and refused to come to the negotiation table for a review of the expired Collective Agreement for the industry since 2007 as per provisions of Wages Board and Industrial Council Acts of 1973.

“It is on this note that we are again reminding the Minister of Labour and Employer, and the employers in the finance sector to come to the negotiating table to ensure appropriate review of the collective bargaining agreement in line with the extant laws,” Olasanoye said.

The ASSBIFI President who was re-elected for the second term saluted the courage and commitment of the CBN for policy formulations in the quest to resuscitate the economy. She however urged both the CBN and National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) to thread with caution and not to stampede operators or allow ill-experience foreigners to hijack the companies in the name of recapitalisation, adding that this will further jeopardise the situation in the financial services sector .

“Besides, the regulators should keep applying best of wisdom in the process, knowing full well the implication of this policy on job losses to a willing workforce”, she added.

Also speaking at the event, the President, Trade Union Congress (TUC) , Quadri Olaleye, said the rate of unemployment and crime has been on the rise.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/unions-to-shut-down-banks-nationwide-from-january-2-2020/

It's just that strike has lost its potency.

Look for another means of registering our grievances.
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by Oluwabusayo1994: 7:09am On Nov 18, 2019
Bank's in Nigeria using our youth as contact staff and may use 10 to 15 years without promotion.
even those which higher qualifications are still contract.

God help this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by Hollyharjii: 7:10am On Nov 18, 2019
I haven't heard such in the history that financial institutions embarked on an indefinite strike or making such a move, CBN should intervene asap
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by ceejay80s(m): 7:13am On Nov 18, 2019
Story!!
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by opribo(m): 7:13am On Nov 18, 2019
Banks are not known for strike like ASUU, NBA and NDA. For the financial institutions to embark on strike means indeed something is indeed wrong with the system. Shall we call China to the rescue.
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:15am On Nov 18, 2019
just imagine the state of the new year and this is about to happen....Do they even care about the masses at all?
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by OlujobaSamuel: 7:15am On Nov 18, 2019
DATMAT:
please what is the bone of contention? are they fighting for casualisation of workers, or they need more money to fund the organisation? or banker salaries should also be review upward?
The permanent staff are fighting for increased pay as na only dem fit form association, casuals can't form an association, na sack

1 Like

Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by kehindetawede: 7:16am On Nov 18, 2019
All is well. We don't want to start the new year this way.
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by FakeManna: 7:25am On Nov 18, 2019
[s]
helinues:
This one Na empty threats now..

I have never read or heard about banks going on strikes
[/s]
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by Hoodbilonia: 7:26am On Nov 18, 2019
Na to move am
Hold am in cash na
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by adetayoonas(m): 7:35am On Nov 18, 2019
Some banks have not increased salaries since 2010

Nine years ago
They declared bonus that favors scanty 30%

The staff turnover is high by banks sacking staff anyhow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by tunary(m): 7:37am On Nov 18, 2019
Nothing Will happen last last. na only to talk Nigerians know
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by nauto5: 7:41am On Nov 18, 2019
Mshad662:
Then I go carry AK-49 go retrieve my money

grin grin
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by Vcblinks(m): 7:42am On Nov 18, 2019
When u are in a pit latrine of a country that is what you get
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by TemmyT002(m): 7:43am On Nov 18, 2019
Please, I don't understand
What exactly are they talking about?
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by uuzba(m): 7:43am On Nov 18, 2019
adenigga:

It's just that strike has lost its potency.

Look for another means of registering our grievances.
They're angry and they said they will close all banks.
You said that one doesn't make sense?
So they should go and kill somebody before that one will make sense?

Abeg O. Comot your money from bank before them close all the banks.

1 Like

Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by LOGOBELT: 7:43am On Nov 18, 2019
Haaaaa, its better I withdraw my money before then, dig a hole in my room and start my underground banking

Buy Original Laptop Charger and Laptop Battery at low price, Check my Signature for Contact Details.
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by uuzba(m): 7:44am On Nov 18, 2019
TemmyT002:
Please, I don't understand
What exactly are they talking about?
They are angry about something. Since nobody answered them, they will close all the banks down from January 2nd, 2020.

1 Like

Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by oneTIMEman(m): 7:47am On Nov 18, 2019
chinavs9ja:
This country is not just working...

I am a professional website designer...check my signature
even your website stuff will not work
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by chinavs9ja(m): 7:48am On Nov 18, 2019
oneTIMEman:
even your website stuff will not work
It is working Sir, because I serve a miracle working God even if the country is not just working
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by malware: 7:51am On Nov 18, 2019
Ok na
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by AndikanEssien(m): 7:52am On Nov 18, 2019
revenge001:
they should shut it down already, I can't wait to have few days off grin cheesy grin

Hahaha see banker o grin grin cool
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 7:53am On Nov 18, 2019
chinavs9ja:
This country is not just working...

I am a professional website designer...check my signature
How much do you use to design Website Bro.
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by Adam09: 7:56am On Nov 18, 2019
This is a welcome development. These MD's are just using us any how and paying us peanuts.

No profit sharing, just work work and work!
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by chinavs9ja(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2019
UDOKABESTLUV:

How much do you use to design Website Bro.
It depends on the types of websites you want! It all ranges from 22k to 45k
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by TemmyT002(m): 8:19am On Nov 18, 2019
uuzba:

They are angry about something. Since nobody answered them, they will close all the banks down from January 2nd, 2020.

Lol
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by MrNipplesLover(m): 9:32am On Nov 18, 2019
revenge001:
they should shut it down already, I can't wait to have few days off grin cheesy grin

Layzee Nigerian Yooth.

grin grin
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by bluefilm: 9:47am On Nov 18, 2019
As far as their strike will not affect online transactions, I say go ahead and strike! cheesy
Re: Unions To Shut Down Banks Nationwide From January 2, 2020 by yinkajewole: 10:00am On Nov 18, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi Civil Servant Who Returned N1.78m Excess Salary Speaks (photo) / See What Nigerian Workers Did To Their Boss Who Owed Them 4 Months Salary / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.