Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,966 members, 7,838,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions (32453 Views)

Tackle Corruption With Asset Declaration – John Mahama Urges Tinubu / Jonathan, Mahama, Kenyatta Visit Bola Tinubu / Elections Hacking Now Real In Africa, Says Mahama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by samorobo: 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2019
Mkenya keep viewing your head...I see you ooo
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
kutashi:
Even one of the most competent countries with sophisticated and well trained personnel in Immigration, Customs and Excise, Police and Army is still building a wall on her border against Mexico including Isreal too! Can the ex Mumu president tell me they have domestic institutional problem also? Some problem require drastic solution and that's what's happening!

No wonder he lost his re-election bid

1.The Mexico wall is being built to prevent illegal immigration, not trade with Mexico, which is going on wery well.

2.Israel's wall is for security purposes...and I'll leave it at that.

3.We have to fix our customs, our ports, and our tarriff system, as well as the massive corruption at the broders.
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by thedio(m): 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2019
gloriaunobi:
How did he get to Nigeria if the border is closed? Your people should transport goods through the means which you used to transport yourself here
grin grin grin grin grin Can't stop laughing �.ppl get bad mouth for nairaland walahi
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
Reference:
Indeed, we suffer from very weak institutions due to the persistent personalisation of governance.

The strongman dogma has proven once again to be misfit for democracy with the m closure of the border being a tacit admission if the total failure of the Customs Service for which no one has been called to account, no known new policy thrusts to reposition it for purpose and no new programs of retraining, rekitting and reorientation of the men and women of that service.

But just like in 1984, a thoughtless fiat is making multi-millionaires of those men at the borders by the minute. The military have had their windfall from unending insecurity, now its the time of the para-military to partake in the 'commerce' of goverment by executive fiat.

Afterall the boys must be kept happy.

I don't think Customs is benefiting from the broder closure by the way,. No bribes to collect....

Plus, the issue is 'How do we protect our domestic industry in the face of increasing globalisation'. While the border closure is not the answer, the smuggling of goods through the borders is stifling our industries.

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Ttipsy(f): 4:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
don't mind them,, the laws are in the constitution already but bribe and corruption won't let them execute their duties effectively. I'm referring to the Nigerian custom and immigration officers
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by mfm04622: 4:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
eTECTIV:
Its only a clueless mo.ron dat would leave an institutional problem and b chasing rats

The institutional weakness is being addressed. Yes, never believe in your own country nor her leaders! Always believe outsiders have your best interest at heart!

4 Likes

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by PStacks(m): 4:07pm On Nov 21, 2019
This Border closure issue is harken to cutting off the head because you have an Headache.

The Nigerian Authorities should realise that our borders being porous is a function of negligence from the state.

if our Institutions are strengthened and Enforcement officers are Mandated to be proactive and not reactive.

if enforcement officers do not compromise on service to Country first.

if the Nigerian Immigration and Nigerian Customs live up to their core mandate,

Borders would not be this Porous in Nigeria.

Truthfully our Porous Borders affects us in all negative ways from aliens strolling into our territorial space from all parts of Africa to Smuggling of goods and depriving the government of tariffs,

The government should realise that closing of the borders is never a solution to whatever menace is being constituted at our various porous borders.

Cutting off the Head is Never the cure to an Headache.

Nigeria must do better than Mere closing of border to being the big brother in Africa that encourages free but Responsible trade.

I add my voice to re-open our Borders even tho I want our farmers to be gainfully employed, they must also be competitive and meet international acceptable standards.

that I want local rice farmers to prosper is not a reason to check in with my dentist after biting hard on stone all in the name of patronising local rice.

local rice farmer should be competitve.

customs officers should man the borders squarely.

immigrations should do thorough due deligence in scrutinising Alien invasion into the country.

open the borders now.

OMA.

Public Affairs Commentator.

https://www.omascope.com/politics/border-closure-is-like-cutting-the-head-off-cos-of-an-headache
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Ttipsy(f): 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Buhari doesn't know the borders and customs are there to prevent smuggling in the first place.. ECOWAS should expel him
are the customs executing their duties ?? when there's bribery corruption strive
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by musicwriter(m): 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
Susu888:

Ehen okay ... we agree its Nigerian citizens importing the rice and so we are dealing with it the way we the Nigerians (border owners) find it fit! Wetin concern ghana with our choice? Na dem border buhari close??

Nigeria is not an ''Island.'' The problem is that there's African Union and ECOWAS trade agreements between African and West African countries, of which Nigeria is a signatory. When you close your border it affects other innocent member countries, like Ghana, who knows nothing about rice smuggling into Nigeria.
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by healthserve(m): 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
PStacks:
This Border closure issue is harken to cutting off the head because you have an Headache.

The Nigerian Authorities should realise that our borders being porous is a function of negligence from the state.

if our Institutions are strengthened and Enforcement officers are Mandated to be proactive and not reactive.

if enforcement officers do not compromise on service to Country first.

if the Nigerian Immigration and Nigerian Customs live up to their core mandate,

Borders would not be this Porous in Nigeria.

Truthfully our Porous Borders affects us in all negative ways from aliens strolling into our territorial space from all parts of Africa to Smuggling of goods and depriving the government of tariffs,

The government should realise that closing of the borders is never a solution to whatever menace is being constituted at our various porous borders.

Cutting off the Head is Never the cure to an Headache.

Nigeria must do better than Mere closing of border to being the big brother in Africa that encourages free but Responsible trade.

I add my voice to re-open our Borders even tho I want our farmers to be gainfully employed, they must also be competitive and meet international acceptable standards.

that I want local rice farmers to prosper is not a reason to check in with my dentist after biting hard on stone all in the name of patronising local rice.

local rice farmer should be competitve.

customs officers should man the borders squarely.

immigrations should do thorough due deligence in scrutinising Alien invasion into the country.

open the borders now.

OMA.

Public Affairs Commentator.

You spoke well. More Grace
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by mfm04622: 4:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
musicwriter:

The issues are not the same.The issue they have is illegal immigrants crossing the border from Mexico. Totally Mexico's fault.

Yours is NIGERIAN CITIZENS importing rice into Nigeria from neighboring countries. Totally Nigeria's fault.

How are they not the same? The issue is weak border that allow smuggling! Goods in the case of Nigeria, illegal migrants in case of US. If the situation is Mexico's fault, then Nigeria's case is also Benin Republic's fault! Abi?
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by mfm04622: 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
sweetonugbu:
Yes our greatest challenge is our weak institutions,if we fix them we fix Nigeria. And you guys should bear in mind that our northern border is not closed.

You see? All our land boarders are closed! Bring evidence if you want to dispute this, not rumour oooo
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by healthserve(m): 4:15pm On Nov 21, 2019
mfm04622:

You see? All our land boarders are closed! Bring evidence if you want to dispute this, not rumour oooo

Allow me reply you before you get all defensive to show loyalty to your god.

On the floor of the legislative house, a distinguished and elected law maker confirmed he visited the northern borders and they were not shut. But that the customs officers were making a business of the event by charging peoppke for passage and that the border wasn't closed.
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by musicwriter(m): 4:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
mfm04622:

How are they not the same? The issue is weak border that allow smuggling! Goods in the case of Nigeria, illegal migrants in case of US. If the situation is Mexico's fault, then Nigeria's case is also Benin Republic's fault! Abi?

That question is the reason I said the issues are not the same.

NIGERIAN CITIZENS ARE THE ONE IMPORTING RICE FROM BENIN REPUBLIC into Nigeria. Benin citizens have never on their own shipped a grain of rice into Nigeria. That's the difference.
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by mfm04622: 4:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
musicwriter:

Again, if rice smuggled from Benin or Niger into Nigeria by Nigerians, that's Nigeria's fault. The rice in Benin isn't meant for you. Its meant for Togo, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Bourkina Faso, Chad, etc, where its not illegal to import rice. In fact, some years ago, it was also not illegal to import it into Nigeria.

And if terorists crossing over neighboring countries into Nigeria, that's the fault of those countries. However, I doubt this analogy of foreign boko haram and herdsmen, when they're actually Nigerians.

However, if you insist its the same as US/Mexico border situation, then copy and paste their solution as well and begin building a wall to lock out illegal immigrants, rice, terorrists. Or why are you not advocating building a wall as solution?

Unfortunately, you don't have personal experience on the Nigerian border cause if you know, you'll know human traffic continues to and fro the border. There're thousands of illegal bush roads for boko haram and herdsmen to use. Even rice smuggling continues at reduced rate. If you want to find out, just go to the market and you'll buy it.

It is NOT illegal to import rice into Nigeria! Today, you can legally import rice through our seaports, pay correct duty and sell your rice in Nigeria without problems! What is not allowed is SMUGGLING rice into Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Goldencheese(m): 4:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
efighter:
Ghana ex-president is still talking because he is still eating once a day, by the time he goes two days without food, then he will know that Nigerians no be dem papa mate. Useless burnt offerings.

USA has competent Immigration, Customs and Excise, Police and Army, yet USA is still building a wall against Mexico. Now, tell me something else.

Your point opened my eyes. You said "USA has competent Immigration, Customs and Excise, Police and Army, yet USA is still building a wall against Mexico. Now, tell me something else." Word! Thanks
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by UrVillagePpl: 4:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
I never knew naija my country is that important...

Imagine, we r Directly involve in some other countries Economy...
Proudly Naija. cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by middlebelter(m): 4:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
Thank you for the advice , but please go back to Ghana, tell them to stop harassing Nigerian businessmen. For PMB to re-open the border, we must be assured the smuggling of arms into our country will be stopped your country is only interested in doing exporting to Nigeria not even a single attempt to help us fight the insurgency issue.

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by swetjo(f): 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
Slamming Nigeria for " domestic institutional weakness " and "appealing" at the same time
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by healthserve(m): 4:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
middlebelter:
Thank you for the advice , but please go back to Ghana, tell them to stop harassing Nigerian businessmen. For PMB to re-open the border, we must be assured the smuggling of arms into our country will be stopped your country is only interested in doing exporting to Nigeria not even a single attempt to help us fight the insurgency issue.

Arms are smuggled through the Northern corridor that is opened to Niger, Mail etc which has several open sections without officials manning it.

I've been a visitor of the Nigerian border/through the Seme corridor since as far back as 1993, and with the influx of customs, and other security parastatals, my dear arms aren't smuggled through this corridor.

Its okay to be a fan of the president. But then, get your facts right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Deepfreezer(m): 4:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
Lols I trust Buhari's deaf ears, he can't hear them at all. The borders remains closed.

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by sapoyoro(m): 4:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
Barzinime:
And who was the other guy refering to? undecided
His agemate on nairaland right?

did the other guy abuse his parents?
no?
do u have parents at home?
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by healthserve(m): 4:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
mfm04622:

It is NOT illegal to import rice into Nigeria! Today, you can legally import rice through our seaports, pay correct duty and sell your rice in Nigeria without problems! What is not allowed is SMUGGLING rice into Nigeria.

A lot of people don't seem to know this clause.

Rice importation still very much exists according to the rules laid by the FG, but must come in through the ports. Because the government wants the Tax on rice. As against the untaxable rice that enters through the land borders

Thanks for spelling it out.
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
sapoyoro:

you have no home training obviously, otherwise you did make your comment without including parents who may even be unaware of nairaland's existence.

Hate speech. undecided undecided
We'll miss you guys soon grin grin grin
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by AntiWailer: 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
Dnt worry.

Let us leave it closed.
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
musicwriter:

The issues are not the same.The issue they have is illegal immigrants crossing the border from Mexico. Totally Mexico's fault.

Yours is NIGERIAN CITIZENS importing rice into Nigeria from neighboring countries. Totally Nigeria's fault.

Nigerians and others smuggling illegal items into Nigeria.

Both Are illegal, so it's the same thing

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Arthans01: 4:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
Today's fixed correct score game is available, just DM or Whatsapp, Congratulations to all my last subscribers
Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by CoolAmbience(m): 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
nku5:
See the common sense, the rational deduction. Why is Mahama not my president cry

The level and quality of discussions in this country has never been this low. Nigeria don razz for everybody eye tongue

Don't tell me that you see yourself as one who can possibly engage in a quality discussion.

Mahama's statement clearly gave him away as selfish. He is only interested in the wellbeing of his country. To what extent did he strengthen the institutions in Ghana? He couldn't even do enough to convince Ghanaians to reelect him.

The consolation is that Buhari cares less about his self-centered remarks. Nigeria's welfare comes first.

Oga, believe it or not, Nigeria is in her best times. You need some 'smartness' to figure this out.

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by musicwriter(m): 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
mfm04622:

That's the more reason Nigeria should address her problem here by gettting Nigerians use the seaport. Once the FG and customs do their job by setting reasonable tariffs and quick clearance time, smuggling would die a natural death.

But you don't punish neighboring countries because Nigerians refuse to use Nigeria's seaport. In fact, the FG should be ashamed of themselves that ports in neighboring countries are more competitive than the seaport of the so called giant of Africa.

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
helinues:
Like Jonathan like Mahama

There were both vp when their country president died

They both lost reelection after first term as president

They both have no balls

How does preventing any goods from entering Nigeria increase rice production?

1 Like

Re: John Mahama To Nigeria: Reopen Border, Strengthen Your Weak Institutions by healthserve(m): 4:36pm On Nov 21, 2019
musicwriter:

That's the more reason Nigeria should address her problem here by gettting Nigerians use the seaport. Once the FG and customs do their job by setting reasonable tariffs and quick clearance time, smuggling would die a natural death.

But you don't punish neighboring countries because Nigerians refuse to use Nigeria's seaport. In fact, the FG should be ashamed of themselves that ports in neighboring countries are more competitive than the seaport of the so called giant of Africa.

Brilliant hence the need for institution strengths ing I.e media sensitization for importers to use the ports

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Old Naira: Buhari, Emefiele Not Relevant After Presidential Election - Oshiomole / "I Don't Know When I Will See My Family" - Says Gallant Nigerian Soldier. Photos / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.