Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods (23571 Views)

Shoppers Storm Onitsha Main Market For Christmas Shopping (Video) / Chinese Spotted At Onitsha Main Market, Speaks Igbo, Claims Anambra Origin:video / Thousands Of People Wait For Onitsha Main Market To Open (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by skkslar: 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2019
Month of fire
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by tete7000(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2019
ornicus:
the steps lagos took with ketu market should be taken with every major market. demolish and rebuild. let the market be designed by architects who will design with life safety and property protection

unless this is done, this will be the never ending story of these ramshackle markets with combustible goods

Even redesigned markets get burnt in Nigeria. It has to do more with our non chalant attitude to life. Give Nigerians the best of facilities, we will watch it all rot away.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Coldie(m): 6:44pm On Nov 19, 2019
Chai
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by EngrchidiG25(m): 6:45pm On Nov 19, 2019
Am afraid of this fire thing is too much
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by soliddust2020: 6:47pm On Nov 19, 2019
Blakjewelry:
why is it to build modern market instead of these paper and stick stores waiting for fire to consume

Government built a modern market at ughelli more than 10 years ago, the traders refused to move there. The ne
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Bahamas95(m): 6:48pm On Nov 19, 2019
OP which tuesday morning? shocked

Na this afternoon the fire start o, market wey I pass this afternoon so. You can lie for Delta!
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Sonnobax15(m): 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2019
This is where i live...i even tried to confirm if the story was true when i first heard it,just to come to nairaland to see it at frontpage.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 19, 2019
tete7000:

Even redesigned markets get burnt in Nigeria. It has to do more with our non chalant attitude to life. Give Nigerians the best of facilities, we will watch it all rot away.

then they are not properly designed

there is something called fire compartment. you design a structure or building such that fire will be contained within the area it breaks out.
for a concrete or blockwork structure with fire retardant ceiling tiles, your fire will end in the room where it started.

the other consideration is combustibles. the number one way of spreading a fire in most home or offices is curtains and carpeting. nigerians do not consider fire retardant carpets, or they are told their carpets are fire retardant

we had a fire in my old office years ago. the fire traveled through a 12 floor building via the cable ducts. almost none of our offices had carpets, s the fire ended in the duct. except for our exec director whose office was fully carpeted and fully destroyed.
and our neighours whose entire offices were carpeted and so their entire floor was destroyed.

build your fire compartment, enforce proper storage of combustibles, and you will be fine.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by midnighter(f): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2019
ornicus:

then they
we had a fire in my old office years ago. the fire traveled

Exactly...I wrote this same thing a few weeks ago

Compartmentalisation, flame-retardant materials and functioning fire extinguishers would solve all this but nobody cares
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 19, 2019
midnighter:

Exactly...I wrote this same thing a few weeks ago

Compartmentalisation would solve all this but nobody cares

more likely they do not want to engage professionals to build.

https://www.nairaland.com/5527043/pictures-construction-enugu-state-secretariat/2#84009401

does that structure built by a state government look like there is any professional input in it?
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Hotzone(m): 7:05pm On Nov 19, 2019
1mrprolific7:
You ..yes..you reading this .. why aren't you making plans to leave this hellhole? Is this the news you want your kids to read everyday? Tanker explosions are no longer strange to Nigerians anymore because it's a daily occurrence.
Is this life you want your kids to become accustomed to?

Why aren't you making good plans to leave this doomed nation? You probably love it here but I demand a concrete reason for why you want your kids to go through the same desensitization to what a good life actually should be like? They don't deserve this and I'm pleading on their behalf.
U solemnly made me conclude my plans for my people
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Abfinest007(m): 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2019
Blakjewelry:
why is it to build modern market instead of these paper and stick stores waiting for fire to consume
shut up I have lived in Delta State b4 and I Kno this place .d former governor uduaghan built a modern market but the women refuse to relocate
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by midnighter(f): 7:12pm On Nov 19, 2019
ornicus:

more likely they do not want to engage professionals to build.

https://www.nairaland.com/5527043/pictures-construction-enugu-state-secretariat/2#84009401

does that structure built by a state government look like there is any professional input in it?

What if the professional doesn't advise them properly or impress upon them the importance of such features?

It's a two-sided thing and really, there are supposed to be building regulations being enforced in order to bring structures up to code so that it doesn't depend on either party's whim

tete7000:
Every project has a budget and you can't always meet every requirement.

See? Just look at what somebody wrote. About an essential requirement for health and safety. If a contractor or an architect sounds like this he will just accept the money and that would be the end of it. They will tell you that they are "managing the available funds to reach the estimated date for project completion"

That's why markets will continue to catch fire in this country
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Irore: 7:13pm On Nov 19, 2019
sureheaven:
Fire here, fire there....

Yoo much carelessness is the primary cause of this.
Government is also useless on their part. Nothing stop our government from not having sophisticated fire station in those markets to prevent things like this.

How you take know wetin I wan talk?
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by tete7000(m): 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2019
ornicus:

then they are not properly designed

there is something called fire compartment. you design a structure or building such that fire will be contained within the area it breaks out.
for a concrete or blockwork structure with fire retardant ceiling tiles, your fire will end in the room where it started.

the other consideration is combustibles. the number one way of spreading a fire in most home or offices is curtains and carpeting. nigerians do not consider fire retardant carpets, or they are told their carpets are fire retardant

we had a fire in my old office years ago. the fire traveled through a 12 floor building via the cable ducts. almost none of our offices had carpets, s the fire ended in the duct. except for our exec director whose office was fully carpeted and fully destroyed.
and our neighours whose entire offices were carpeted and so their entire floor was destroyed.

build your fire compartment, enforce proper storage of combustibles, and you will be fine.

Every project has a budget and you can't always meet every requirement. Let say you can isolate rooms in decked section of a building, how about the part with roof? Note also that there are really no fire proof materials in a sense, you only have materials that can withstand fire for specific period giving man enough time to prevent the spread of fire. It is why fire prevention is always augmented with fire fighting capability.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2019
tete7000:

Every project has a budget and you can't always meet every requirement. Let say you can isolate rooms in decked section of a building, how about the part with roof? Note also that there are really no fire proof materials in a sense, you only have materials that can withstand fire for specific period giving man enough time to prevent the spread of fire. It is why fire prevention is always augmented with fire fighting capability.

Fire retarand ceiling tiles.it is simply because this is Nigeria. Lasg is now insisting that any new site has a hydrant tank and line. They are enforcing two floors of parking for large office buildings.you don't have the money, you don't build.

These are matters of life and death
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by sonnie10: 7:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
soliddust2020:

Government built a modern market at ughelli more than 10 years ago, the traders refused to move there. The ne
This here might be the reason why this got burnt. They must relocate by force or by fire.
Developers are losing money

1 Like

Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by soliddust2020: 7:56pm On Nov 19, 2019
sonnie10:

This here might be the reason why this got burnt. They must relocate by force or by fire.
Developers are losing money

You got it perfectly.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2019
HacheNoire:

Fire knows no bounds. Safety measures is best
. ...

Structurally, one can evade fire from spreading to different shops by making use of concrete decked roofing instead of going for woods..

Use of conduit wiring, adjusting the market paths to contain fire service vehicles and use of fire hydrants at strategic places in the market can comfortably reduce the rate of fire disasters in public structures especially in a market....
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by IMAliyu(m): 8:26pm On Nov 19, 2019
Harmattan don come
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by tete7000(m): 8:49pm On Nov 19, 2019
midnighter:

What if the professional doesn't advise them properly or impress upon them the importance of such features?

It's a two-sided thing and really, there are supposed to be building regulations being enforced in order to bring structures up to code so that it doesn't depend on either party's whim

See? Just look at what somebody wrote. About an essential requirement for health and safety. If a contractor or an architect sounds like this he will just accept the money and that would be the end of it. They will tell you that they are "managing the available funds to reach the estimated date for project completion"

That's why markets will continue to catch fire in this country

When I wrote, I wrote about subject matter I know very well. If you like put all the sprinklers in the world in a market, if people's attitude are wrong, the market will still burn. No angel can help when power sources are perpetually left on, when fire systems in place are not maintained. And like I have written design is about give and take, you can't always put in place everything in face of a daunting budget constraints. People have roles to play in preventing fire.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by tete7000(m): 8:54pm On Nov 19, 2019
ornicus:

Fire retarand ceiling tiles.it is simply because this is Nigeria. Lasg is now insisting that any new site has a hydrant tank and line. They are enforcing two floors of parking for large office buildings.you don't have the money, you don't build.

These are matters of life and death

And what makes you think fire hydrants lines are not available in some of the burnt markets? What if the pumps are never maintained? What if water is never available? How about drills? How many market men/women have orientation on how to behave or react in face of fire? Fire problems in Nigeria as I have earlier said is more than one of design, it is more of a bad attitude on the part of the people. No material is designed to withstand fire infinitely. Even the tile you talk about will crumble in face of intense inferno...
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by midnighter(f): 10:35pm On Nov 19, 2019
tete7000:

When I wrote, I wrote about subject matter I know very well. If you like put all the sprinklers in the world in a market, if people's attitude are wrong, the market will still burn. No angel can help when power sources are perpetually left on, when fire systems in place are not maintained. And like I have written design is about give and take, you can't always put in place everything in face of a daunting budget constraints. People have roles to play in preventing fire.

You have a point but you shouldn't be trying to minimise the importance of these things as if they are an inconvenience...even if people are careless or have a bad attitude it's still wrong to build a structure without bothering to include inbuilt safety measures.

It's a two-pronged approach and budget constraint is not a valid excuse. Health and safety features are designed to limit the effect of human error.

So because people throw litter all over the street RIWAMA should refuse to collect trash
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Blakjewelry(m): 12:30am On Nov 20, 2019
Abfinest007:
shut up I have lived in Delta State b4 and I Kno this place .d former governor uduaghan built a modern market but the women refuse to relocate
uduaghan or ibori btw you mo get respect?
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by Kennyfancy(m): 12:58am On Nov 20, 2019
It's well
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by fredopareto(m): 1:11am On Nov 20, 2019
Fire fire fire in our country country, give me plenty
water make I quench d fire..ehnnn shine ur eye...daddy showkey wise word
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:08am On Nov 20, 2019
sureheaven:

Government is also useless on their part. Nothing stop our government from not having sophisticated fire station in those markets to prevent things like this.

Fire stations do not prevent fires, they put out fire. Reducing the frequency of fire outbreaks starts by

1. implementing and enforcing safe building standards.

2. Regulating how these markets are built and run.

3. Educating Nigerians on fire safety.

4. Reducing the need for individuals to move flammable contents including petrol, liquefied natural gas canisters , kerosene and diesel.

However none of these will ever happen in Nigeria at least in our lifetime
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:10am On Nov 20, 2019
midnighter:

You have a point but you shouldn't be trying to minimise the importance of these things as if they are an inconvenience...even if people are careless or have a bad attitude it's still wrong to build a structure without bothering to include inbuilt safety measures.

It's a two-pronged approach and budget constraint is not a valid excuse. Health and safety features are designed to limit the effect of human error.

So because people throw litter all over the street RIWAMA should refuse to collect trash

The markets are overpopulated for a start. There is no regulation surrounding how many people can and should fit in tight stalls
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by midnighter(f): 8:46am On Nov 20, 2019
GeneralShepherd:

The markets are overpopulated for a start. There is no regulation surrounding how many people can and should fit in tight stalls

Yes, there should be a certain amount of space separating each stall from its neighbour and the electronics they use in there should be up to code
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by DrumOfPatriots: 10:29am On Nov 20, 2019
sureheaven:

Bros, we need development like right now. see market na, u see see that place. its no even concussive to people to live. Let it burn and let gov build something good there.
Re: Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods by tete7000(m): 7:19am On Nov 21, 2019
midnighter:

Sadly though I have never believed in having people picking trashes after others. My belief has always been that dustbins should be strategically placed along our streets while people are properly oriented to use it. I don't think civilized world litter their environment the way we do. Our approach to the issue makes it look like it is some people right to pick trashes while others have obligation to keep them busy. Cleanliness as a way of life, as something novel and worth doing has never been emphasized in our society.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira Appreciate Further To N380 To 1 Dollar / The Impending Banking Crisis / Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.