Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,568 members, 7,816,395 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (240949 Views)

Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 1:56pm On Jun 29, 2010
006:

My brother, come down to pre-independence, around 1940 – 1960.
Where the Ijaws known as Ijaw/Ijo by the Europeans/colonial masters at this time?
I think you're making Ezeagu's point with this quote. He is highlighting on the inaccuracies of the 'Academia'. One minute they say it's one thing. The next, it's another. The 'Academia' is ever-changing and ever-re-interpreting. The very fact that the Ijo were ethnically grouped with the Eboe, and then later the Brass, then later as the Ijo is the point that Ezeagu is making. That is, of course, if I'm understanding correctly (am I understanding you correctly, Ezeagu?). Basically, 006 you cannot use the 'Academia' as a way to delimitate ethnic groups. All the 'Academia' is good for is marking [un]relatedness between two or more groups. Ethnicity is not determined by what the 'Academia' write. If it were, then ethnicities would be forever changing.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2010
Now, 006, after reading through your response to me, again, I have only one question that I would really like to ask. You equate lect and culture to ethnicity, but not blood (common ancestry). Why?
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 2:47pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I think you're making Ezeagu's point with this quote. He is highlighting on the inaccuracies of the 'Academia'. One minute they say it's one thing. The next, it's another. The 'Academia' is ever-changing and ever-re-interpreting. The very fact that the Ijo were ethnically grouped with the Eboe, and then later the Brass, then later as the Ijo is the point that Ezeagu is making. That is, of course, if I'm understanding correctly (am I understanding you correctly, Ezeagu?). Basically, 006 you cannot use the 'Academia' as a way to delimitate ethnic groups. All the 'Academia' is good for is marking [un]relatedness between two or more groups. Ethnicity is not determined by what the 'Academia' write. If it were, then ethnicities would be forever changing.

When the Ijaws were grouped with the Igbos, little or no research was done to know more about them, their language, and their culture. They were just grouped with the larger group because they looked alike and many Ijaws speak Igbo as a 2nd language. With time as the Europeans settle and set up proper administration in the hinterlands, they began to know more of the dialects we all speak, the differences became clearer; Idoma, Efik and Ijaw were removed from the Igbos, whereas the rest of current Igbo clans remained grouped together.

ChinenyeN:

Now, 006, after reading through your response to me, again, I have only one question that I would really like to ask. You equate lect and culture to ethnicity, but not blood (common ancestry). Why?

Maybe read this:

006:

In all these languages you listed, can you speak/understand any of them apart from English? How could you know the extent of the similarities and differences between them? Let’s be realistic. When you talked about English and German, both have the same origin; in fact, English people had German origin. The languages have diverged so significantly that an English man cannot move to Germany and start communicating with the Germans without putting in months of study to understand German and vice versa. Despite the fact that the English were Germans, the two languages are no longer the same, hence the English are no longer of German ethnicity; this is the essence of what I was talking about. Ethnicity has all to do with language and maybe culture and little or nothing to do with origin/progenitor/migration. The same is applicable to the rest you listed.
It’s like the Igbos and the Igalas that have the same origin but the two languages have diverged significantly that an Igbo can’t understand Igala and vice versa.

It’s like saying that Southern Nigeria has just one language because all of us speak Kwa language (Igbo, Yoruba, and Bini are Kwa languages). The fact is that they have diverged significantly.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 4:36pm On Jun 29, 2010
006:

When the Ijaws were grouped with the Igbos, little or no research was done to know more about them, their language, and their culture. They were just grouped with the larger group because they looked alike and many Ijaws speak Igbo as a 2nd language. With time as the Europeans settle and set up proper administration in the hinterlands, they began to know more of the dialects we all speak, the differences became clearer; Idoma, Efik and Ijaw were removed from the Igbos, whereas the rest of current Igbo clans remained grouped together.
Further proving the point stated earlier. We're saying the same thing.

006:

In all these languages you listed, can you speak/understand any of them apart from English? How could you know the extent of the similarities and differences between them? Let’s be realistic. When you talked about English and German, both have the same origin; in fact, English people had German origin. The languages have diverged so significantly that an English man cannot move to Germany and start communicating with the Germans without putting months of study to understand German and vice versa. Despite the fact that the English were Germans, the two languages are no longer the same, hence the English are no longer of German ethnicity; this is the essence of what I was talking about. Ethnicity has all to do with language and maybe culture and little or nothing to do with origin/progenitor/migration. The same is applicable to the rest you listed.
It’s like the Igbos and the Igalas that have the same origin but the two languages have diverged significantly that an Igbo can’t understand Igala and vice versa.

It’s like saying that Southern Nigeria has just one language because all of us speak Kwa language (Igbo, Yoruba, and Bini are Kwa languages). The fact is that they have diverged significantly. If you had not cherry picked from my last post, you wouldn’t have come up with your response.
1. Please expound on the underlined.
2. I find the bolded almost funny, because common ancestry (a community's recognition of common origin, in place and time, and progenitor[s]) are the common denominators found amongst ethnic communities. So how exactly is common ancestry inapplicable to ethnicity?
3. I still don't understand your equating language with ethnicity, because whole ethnic groups can lose their language, but still maintain their distinct sense of ethnic community, and that is done through common ancestry. So wouldn't language (a dimension of culture) be secondary for the sense of ethnic community?
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Further proving the point stated earlier. We're saying the same thing.

We are not saying the same thing.

ChinenyeN:

1. Please expound on the underlined. (It’s like the Igbos and the Igalas that have the same origin but the two languages have diverged significantly that an Igbo can’t understand Igala and vice versa.)

I don’t know exactly what you want me to do here. Anyway, the son of Eri/Nri was the founder of Igala.

ChinenyeN:

2. I find the bolded almost funny, because common ancestry (a community's recognition of common origin, in place and time, and progenitor[s]) are the common denominators found amongst ethnic communities. So how exactly is common ancestry inapplicable to ethnicity?
3. I still don't understand your equating language with ethnicity, because whole ethnic groups can lose their language, but still maintain their distinct sense of ethnic community, and that is done through common ancestry. So wouldn't language (a dimension of culture) be secondary for the sense of ethnic community?

It is not a coincidence that people who speak the same language more often than not have the same origin. A community is often formed when a man/family move to another place. With time, various other migrants are absorbed into that community with the new entrants, with different or same origin as the parent community, losing their language as well as having influence on their host community. This is how languages diverge. Note the community no longer has common origin as before because of the new entrants.

The amount of influence the new entrants have on the host community determines the extent of the divergence from the original language and culture of that first man/family. This could be so enormous and with time, the 2 languages will be totally dissimilar but will still maintain some similar words and pronunciations. When they are no longer mutually intelligible, then a new language is formed.

Example, there are Isoko villages that migrated from Owerri and today they are of Isoko/Urhobo ethnicity because they lost their language and are no longer considered Igbo despite the fact they still know their origin.

In recent times, some communities are losing their languages like it is the case in Delta State. We are still at present time, and there is rapid mixing and movement today unlike before. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. Maybe a Delta ethnic group will emerge with Pidgin English as their lingua franca.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 7:02pm On Jun 29, 2010
006:

I don’t know exactly what you want me to do here. Anyway, the son of Eri/Nri was the founder of Igala.
And what does that have to do with the Igbo?

006:

It is not a coincidence that people who speak the same language more often than not have the same origin. A community is often formed when a man/family move to another place. With time, various other migrants are absorbed into that community with the new entrants, with different or same origin as the parent community, losing their language as well as having influence on their host community. This is how languages diverge. Note the community no longer has common origin as before because of the new entrants.

The amount of influence the new entrants have on the host community determines the extent of the divergence from the original language and culture of that first man/family. This could be so enormous and with time, the 2 languages will be totally dissimilar but will still maintain some similar words and pronunciations. When they are no longer mutually intelligible, then a new language is formed.

Example, there are Isoko villages that migrated from Owerri and today they are of Isoko/Urhobo ethnicity because they lost their language and are no longer considered Igbo despite the fact they still know their origin.

In recent times, some communities are losing their languages like it is the case in Delta State. We are still at present time, and there is rapid mixing and movement today unlike before. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. Maybe a Delta ethnic group will emerge with Pidgin English as their lingua franca.
Okay. So you wholeheartedly believe that an ethnic identity is a linguistic identity, correct?
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

And what does that have to do with the Igbo?

*confused*

Does it mean that you don't know who Eri was 

ChinenyeN:

Okay. So you wholeheartedly believe that an ethnic identity is a linguistic identity, correct?

Yes! More often than not, they have same/similar cultures as well.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 9:58pm On Jun 29, 2010
Eri is not the founders of the Igbo.

Well, I find your view lacking, because people and communities, in fact, whole ethnic groups, can still maintain a distinct ethnic identity, even after losing their ethnic language. You do though have a point to some degree, but not to the point of unequivocally saying that language actually equals ethnicity.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Eri is not the founders of the Igbo.

Well, I find your view lacking, because people and communities, in fact, whole ethnic groups, can still maintain a distinct ethnic identity, even after losing their ethnic language. You do though have a point to some degree, but not to the point of unequivocally saying that language actually equals ethnicity.

Good, I know you’re extremely self-willed; Eri is not the known progenitor of the Igbos. Right?
Maybe you should first publish the origin of Ngwa beyond Owerri, then I’ll know I’m talking with someone that’s sane.

1 Like

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2010
Okay. . . . Anyway, like I stated before, I only came here to understand your understanding. Now that I [feel as though I] thoroughly understand it, I can agree to an extent, but not in total. So, the 250+ claim, I still find much more believable.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 11:43pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Yes this was the point I was trying to make. 'Academia' doesn't even hide the fact that it is constantly changing/improving, changing is what it is.

006:

You’re angle of the argument is a bit funny. So you want to tell me about Ijaws and Igbos and you went as far back as 1700’s and 1800’s when the Europeans had barely explored the whole of Africa and understood her peoples.

When did the Europeans ever understand Africa's people? Why did they call you Eboe and then Ebo and then Iboe and then Ibo until you're now fighting to be recognised as Igbo if they understood African people?

006:

My brother, come down to pre-independence, around 1940 – 1960.
Where the Ijaws known as Ijaw/Ijo by the Europeans/colonial masters at this time?
A Yes or a No answer would suffice.

Why should I come down to pre-independence? 'Academia' didn't exist before 1940? If this is about the Ishan, they are a separate ethnic group, if you don't agree then it's fine.

006:

Eri is not the known progenitor of the Igbos. Right?

Right, Eri is the father of Nri who founded the villages that made the famous kingdom.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 1:19am On Jun 30, 2010
ezeagu:

Yes this was the point I was trying to make. 'Academia' doesn't even hide the fact that it is constantly changing/improving, changing is what it is.
Okay, and honestly speaking, I thought your point was rather clear and sensible. 006's assertion though, although clear and also (in a sense) sensible, seams like a stretch to me. But that's just me. Other's might completely agree with him.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 1:42pm On Jun 30, 2010
List of all the Ethinic groups found in Nigeria.
Source: National Bureau of Statistic (Nigerian government official website)
www.nigerianstat.gov.ng

1   Angas
2   Bariba
3   Batta
4   Birom
5   Boki
6   Bussawa
7   Chamba
8   Dukawa
9   Edo
10   Ekoi
11   Gwari
12   Hausa
13   Ibibio
14   Idoma
15   Igala
16   Igbirra
17   Igbo
18   Ijaw
19   Itsekiri
20   Jarawa
21   Jukun
22   Kambari
23   Kamuku
24   Kanuri
25   Kare
26   Katab
27   Longuda
28   Marghi
29   Mumuye
30   Ningawa
31   Nupe
32   Tangale
33   Tiv
34   Urhobo
35   Vkelle (Kukele)
36   Yoruba
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2010
006:

www.nigerianstat.gov.ng

006, this is a map from the Nigerian Statistics bureau website that you're getting your information from:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/maps/stateMaps/images/a2ecec9d8bc7a5bca1c27c9376f917a0a635744a.jpg

Study this map very well.

Do you Agree with it?

And ChineyeN, you can look at this map and say what you think of it.

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/maps/stateMaps/images/a7e75c34b5e93fb0da5275a93b039e682193ce0b.jpg
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 3:10pm On Jun 30, 2010
Oh, and 006, you may also like to know that the Nigerian Bureau of Statistics puts the estimated population of Onitsha at 500,000. . . . . . . . and Kano at 3,000,000. grin
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2010
^^^

The boundary lines were not properly done if that’s what you want to highlight. It does not take away the list of the peoples in those states nor the location they are found.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2010
006:

^^^

The boundary lines were not properly done if that’s what you want to highlight. It does not take away the list of the peoples in those states nor the location they are found.

How about the population of the cities?

They were sure to do this right:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/uploads/maps/stateMaps/images/1c4b50df2066434f1b3f435a71ae878ca3a15abc.jpg
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 3:13pm On Jun 30, 2010
ezeagu:

Oh, and 006, you may also like to know that the Nigerian Bureau of Statistics puts the estimated population of Onitsha at 500,000. . . . . . . . and Kano at 3,000,000. grin

. . . and what has the population figures have to do with what we are talking about?
We are not talking about census figures!
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2010
006:

. . . and what has the population figures have to do with what we are talking about?

We're talking about reliability, the reliability of a source that says there are only 37 ethnic groups in Nigeria. If they are absolutely accurate in the count of ethnic groups, then why should they slack in other areas? If they are under counting a population how are they going to know the number and types of ethnic groups?

1 Like

Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2010
ezeagu:

We're talking about reliability, the reliability of a source that says there are only 37 ethnic groups in Nigeria. If they are absolutely accurate in the count of ethnic groups, then why should they slack in other areas? If they are under counting a population how are they going to know the number and types of ethnic groups?

My friend, your argument is warped. Both have no correlations.
When you can’t back up your denial with something tangible, you’re now grasping at straws!
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 8:41pm On Jun 30, 2010
grin Those maps are not serious, and according to that map of Abia, my particular Ngwa community (my very own town) is actually Ibibio. Hmm. . . I guess we all learn something new everyday. . .

006:

My friend, your argument is warped. Both have no correlations.
When you can’t back up your denial with something tangible, you’re now grasping at straws!
Why are you stuggling this much to understand Ezeagu's point? Simply put, the information on NG website has time and time again proven unreliable. So why should/would one then come to believe their list of ethnicities? Just like with the Academia, ethnicity is not determined by what NG writes.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 9:02pm On Jun 30, 2010
006:

www.nigerianstat.gov.ng

1 Angas
2 Bariba
3 Batta
4 Birom
5 Boki
6 Bussawa
7 Chamba
8 Dukawa
9 Edo
10 Ekoi
11 Gwari
12 Hausa
13 Ibibio
14 Idoma
15 Igala
16 Igbirra
17 Igbo
18 Ijaw
19 Itsekiri
20 Jarawa
21 Jukun
22 Kambari
23 Kamuku
24 Kanuri
25 Kare
26 Katab
27 Longuda
28 Marghi
29 Mumuye
30 Ningawa
31 Nupe
32 Tangale
33 Tiv
34 Urhobo
35 Vkelle (Kukele)
36 Yoruba
@006: Thanks for the above post. There is no list better than the above.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@006: Thanks for the above post. There is no list better than the above.

You’re welcome.
Don’t mind those goons that pull out facts from their a.s.s and make things up to satisfy their imaginations; arguing like imbeciles.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 10:30pm On Jun 30, 2010
006:

You’re welcome.
Don’t mind those goons that pull out facts from their a.s.s and make things up to satisfy their imaginations; arguing like imbeciles.

I am yet to understand how they multiplied 36 to arrive at 250.
The funniest part of it all is, while some Igbo groups were listed as separate entities, the Yoruba groups of Ijebu, Owo, offa etc were not listed separately. Even the seven groups whom the Hausas referred as bastard groups were still classified as Hausa. The Igbo was the most targeted. Some of them bought the idea sheepishly and began to use moonlight stories to support their separation from the mega body. Imagine, one of them came to the nairaland with a list of titles of palm-wine tappers etc that has resemblance with Bini titles to justify his claim. What a shame.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 30, 2010
In all these languages you listed, can you speak/understand any of them apart from English? How could you know the extent of the similarities and differences between them? Let’s be realistic. When you talked about English and German, both have the same origin; in fact, English people had German origin. [b]The languages have diverged so significantly that an English man cannot move to Germany and start communicating with the Germans without putting in months of study to understand German and vice versa. Despite the fact that the English were Germans, the two languages are no longer the same, hence the English are no longer of German ethnicity; this is the essence of what I was talking about. Ethnicity has all to do with language and maybe culture and little or nothing to do with origin/progenitor/migration. The same is applicable to the rest you listed.

It’s like saying that Southern Nigeria has just one language because all of us speak Kwa language (Igbo, Yoruba, and Bini are Kwa languages). The fact is that they have diverged significantly. If you had not cherry picked from my last post, you wouldn’t have come up with your response.

Yes, I speak/understand a little bit of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Persian, and Korean; but that's not the point. If only you had related with people of non-African descent/ethnicity long enough, then you'll have understood a simple fact; in this our global age, one do not have to speak/understand an "alien"  language/dialect b4 he/she learns from its people.

If anything, you keep portraying the sought of intellectual naivety I mentioned earlier, and confessing your ignorance with your questions. You  displayed 36 languages - cherry-picked by God knows who - from the official list of 250+, and concluded the remaining to be dialects. Now, do you speak or understand all the so-called 213+ dialects while laboriously trying to make your point?
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 1:06am On Jul 01, 2010
006:

You're asking me what a census has to do with the population/diversity count of ethnic groups? All right, you don't want to believe that there's an Ebira an Ishan, Tarok, Djerma, Kirdi, Fon, Isoko, Kilba, Ogoni, Longuada, Buduma even Fulani among many more. Fine, I can guess the reason behind this. . . . . . . .
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 1:12pm On Jul 01, 2010
@ Maple,

You seem to be too selective whenever you want to reply. Anyways, I've taken away the first sentence in my last reply to you. Maybe you should address the rest if you want.

006:

Let’s be realistic. When you talked about English and German, both have the same origin; in fact, English people had German origin. The languages have diverged so significantly that an English man cannot move to Germany and start communicating with the Germans without putting in months of study to understand German and vice versa. Despite the fact that the English were Germans, the two languages are no longer the same, hence the English are no longer of German ethnicity; this is the essence of what I was talking about. Ethnicity has all to do with language and maybe culture and little or nothing to do with origin/progenitor/migration. The same is applicable to the rest you listed.

The above quote was a response to this:

Maple:

@006

Yes, some of the listed languages, could be classified as dialects, that is, if one applies the definition of dialect in the true sense of its meaning. However, your whole approach to this issue is flawed.  Perhaps, you need  to be educated on some facts and realities of the life we live in.  My brother,  in reality, things are not often interpreted in Black and White - it is a simple fact they dont teach at school - you need to think outside the box most times to understand a lot of things.  There is a difference between what is Right and what is Correct, and your arguments and those of others stemmed from the inability to differentiate between the two.    I'm glad you defined  (from Oxford dictionary) what a dialect is, you said, "it is the form of a language that is spoken in one area with grammar, words and pronunciation that may be different from other forms of the same language." By this definition, many so-called languages spoken in many parts of the world today are (actually) dialects. For instance, English and German are dialects of the Germanic language with lots of words in common, but we all know that the "all knowing English" do not regard the English language as a dialect.  

Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are variants (dialects) of the latin language, yet they are classified as different languages.  Korean and Japanese are two very similar languages, but they are classified as different languages. Ukrainian, russian, belarussian, polish, and bulgarian are dialects of the slavic language, yet they are officially categorized as separate languages.  Turkish (Turkey), Azeri (Azaibejan), Turkmen (Turkmenistan), Uzbek (Uzbekistan), Kyrgyz (Kyrgystan), and Kazakh (Kazkhstan) are dialects of the Turkic language, yet are officially classified as different languages. Tajiki is recognized as a language, even though it is a dialect of the Persian language,  should I go on?

Most Europeans are still yet to digest the complexity and richness of Africa's cultural diversities - and the fact that it surpasses those in every other continent - hence they try looping us as one at every chance they get.  I have seen so many Europeans who are so-called "experts of African history and cultures" come on TV to claim how so-and-so African languages are dialects and not languages, simply because they can name few words they have in common. What they do not apply to themselves, they apply to us.  There dialects are "languages" , but ours are not.

(sigh), for so long African cultures have suffered from intellectual double standards, particularly from the western world, and many Africans have internalized and assimilated this trend so much so, that they become intellectually naive whenever it comes to discussions like this.  They are quick to belittle their brethren and showcase how  "educated" they are with their academic interpretations of issues, while they ignore realities.  Every development or findings in their countries that do not 100% fit into their so-called academic views, they criticize vehemently. You often do not see such scrutiny and criticism whenever they are dealing with issues concerning the Europeans.  They let Europeans have their way, but their African brethren have to play by the book.  Should the Nigerian government fully play by the "rules" of the Europeans and other non-African nations, the number of languages that 'll make the list would surpass 600. Now,is it the right thing to do? No; but it is the correct thing to do.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 1:25pm On Jul 01, 2010
ezeagu:

You're asking me what a census has to do with the population/diversity count of ethnic groups? All right, you don't want to believe that there's an Ebira an Ishan, Tarok, Djerma, Kirdi, Fon, Isoko, Kilba, Ogoni, Longuada, Buduma even Fulani among many more. Fine, I can guess the reason behind this. . . . . . . .

Let me use Isoko that you know very well to illustrate my point. Below are posts on NL by an Isoko man who lives in England and is untainted by the socio-political division going on in his ethnic group, Urhobo.

northwest england

The socio- political divisions instigated in the name of bringing government closer to the people( very skeptical ) but thats what they say. Should not be reason for manipulation to create tribal and ethnic division.

Isoko is not an ethnic tribal group but a socio-political division.

In addition in Isoko and Uhrobo there are different dialects that does not mean they are different tribal ethnic groups.

In isoko we have different dialects, for instance Ehnwe would say Yari instead of Nyaze, and yes my socio-political division is Isoko.

Consider, that the first Bible translation was In Isoko before Uhrobo, and Isoko church music is used to sing mainly even in Uhrobo Churches. 

In the political discourse at that time I am talking before independence, my father was an executive member of the Eastern Uhrobo union at the time; they did not consider Isoko a tribe but an area within Uhrobo land, just like Okpe, Etc.

Again if you look at the historical origins of the various villages, towns, and hamlets that make up Isoko/ Uhrobo land, some came from Benin Empire and some from the Igbo Kingdoms.

For instance Ehnwe in Isoko, in the days of my Grandfather, one section of the village or rather town was referred to the Igbo end. Indeed further research substantiates this as the founder Ehnwe was an Igbo prince from Onitsha. This prince was ostracised and banished from his kingdom, and subsequently created the settlement of Ehnwe.

Consider the amount of Isoko/ Uhrobo people with Igbo names tells the story in itself.

Therefore there is fusion in their origins and not separation. 
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I am yet to understand how they multiplied 36 to arrive at 250.
The funniest part of it all is, while some Igbo groups were listed as separate entities, the Yoruba groups of Ijebu, Owo, offa etc were not listed separately. Even the seven groups whom the Hausas referred as naughty person groups were still classified as Hausa. The Igbo was the most targeted. Some of them bought the idea sheepishly and began to use moonlight stories to support their separation from the mega body. Imagine, one of them came to the nairaland with a list of titles of palm-wine tappers etc that has resemblance with Bini titles to justify his claim. What a shame.

Don’t mind some of those zombies in the Western Igbo territories, when their “Obi” tells them that they are no longer “Bini” they are now “Igala”, they will sheepishly follow him; even to the hell they will go, no rationale, no independence of mind.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2010
006:

Let me use Isoko that you know very well to illustrate my point. Below are posts on NL by an Isoko man who lives in England and is untainted by the socio-political division going on in his ethnic group, Urhobo.

What is this supposed to do with the argument, what does a 'social-political divison' mean and what does that poster mean by "the first Bible translation was In Isoko before Uhrobo", does that not mean that the two languages are different?

006:

Don’t mind some of those zombies in the Western Igbo territories, when their “Obi” tells them that they are no longer “Bini” they are now “Igala”, they will sheepishly follow him; even to the hell they will go, no rationale, no independence of mind.

They're sheepish because they don't agree with the identity you prescribed them? Who are you to tell them who they are, and most of all who are you to tell them they are stupid for their stance? What does putting Obi in quotations marks mean? Is all this in the bid to make a stronger argument for independent ethnic states? Are you forcing the people on the west to be Igbo so that Igboland will have spare land or have a larger population? If the answer to both is yes, know this: the tiny ethnic groups in Nigeria will not disappear just because you ignore them.
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 006(m): 8:16pm On Jul 01, 2010
^^^

Are you arguing or are you antagonizing?

Move on mister! I don't have the time for someone that's grasping at straws. It's me that'll define what “socio-political” mean for you and you said you're not dumb?
Re: The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 9:25pm On Jul 01, 2010
006, you keep talking about how Ezeagu is supposedly "grasping at straws", but your very own argument is overly stretched. Your assertion is not as expansive or universal as you're claiming. So your view is still lacking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.