Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? (16799 Views)

If I Lost My Job, Then My Home. Do I Have Any Claim To Her Inheritance? / Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by dochenaj: 8:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
The concept of handing over to the husband implies that they are two separate people but that is not how God planned marriage to be. "And they two shall become one flesh".

So her inheritance is his, and his is hers. No need to hand anything over.

I'll add that my answer is how things should be.

2 Likes

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by crackhaus: 8:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
yes ooo.in Delta,single or married women also share inheritance.

My mum just recently got her share of her family's inheritance.
This is nice cool
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by crackhaus: 8:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
Fhemmmy:

I think i will like to know where it does NOT happen so i will know where to advice friends and kids NEVER to try and marry from there.
Igbo land, from the responses.

2 Likes

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Malawian(m): 9:02pm On Nov 21, 2019
I think the OP meant to ask "Should the wife's inheritance benefit her husband, or do her husband go and suffer looking for sustenance for his family, while the wife enjoys her inheritance alone"

1 Like

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Resees: 9:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
crackhaus:

First of all, please list those places where married women can inherit properties.
Single unmarried daughters could be given an inheritance, but I'm not so sure about the married ones.

Is this happening to someone you know?
If so, where?

I'm interested...
I think Abia married women are entitled to their fathers wealth..
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Fhemmmy: 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
crackhaus:

OK
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Fhemmmy: 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2019
Malawian:
I think the OP meant to ask "Should the wife's inheritance benefit her husband, or do her husband go and suffer looking for sustenance for his family, while the wife enjoys her inheritance alone"

So is there any reason why the man should depend on the inheritance of the wife to take care of the woman and his kids?

2 Likes

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by baratech: 9:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
No. She should give her neighbors husband
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by DonaTee(f): 9:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
Janelle08:
Hi Nairalanders,

What is your opinion on this topic.

In a situation where a woman receives some inheritance from her father or a share of her late father's property, is she expected to hand over her inheritance (money) to her husband?

Married folks over to you. Women, how will you handle your inheritance? Men, how do you expect your wives to handle her inheritance?

No. Will he give her his own?
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by ctleurocollege: 9:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
crackhaus:

Baba it's only Igbo in Nigeria that don't allow females to inherit property that's why they have multiple baby factories to produce boys for inheritance
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Kitanlistic(f): 9:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
No,why would she do that.. Men of nowadays cnt be trusted
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by akeensbussy(m): 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
yeyeosoronga:

Just give us equal share na. Nobody has ever asked for everything. Infact, many female children are more responsible towards their parents in old age than their sons. You cannot deny some cultures in Nigeria do not give female children an inheritance, and they can never even give them landed property anywhere. I mentioned the South East earlier (unless someone says that's not true), and they are a very large population in the country, so it does affect a lot of women. I'm sure other than S/E, there are other regions/ethnic groups with similar practices in Nigeria. A lot of women are affected (even from the S/E region alone) when we look at absolute numbers

In Ondo State, Ikale, women are not entitle to inheritance...
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by RexTramadol1: 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
Chop alone, die alone
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by jaxxy(m): 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
Janelle08:
First, this is not the issue here. And if I may ask, is there any law that states that father cannot include his married daughters in his will?

It's not about list of places it's happening. But how families decided to share their father's wealth.

No she doesn’t have to give her husband. She can keep it for her children to inherit bt she can also use it to support the family not give her husband. Depending on the relationship the husband can be a caretaker or part owner Aslong as his married to her or Smtn.

Even the mans property the woman does not automatically inherit unless after death and smtmes that is contested by his own siblings if a will isn’t made for such occasions so nobody truly inherits anything from anybody really while alive. Just joint agreements or Smtn.

What if u give him and he marries sm1 else afterwards? So that’s just it.
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by AfroKnight: 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
We can now see the equality of feminism at play here.

Women are not ready to share responsibilities. When they are ready, we will know.

1 Like

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by akeensbussy(m): 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
ctleurocollege:

Baba it's only Igbo in Nigeria that don't allow females to inherit property that's why they have multiple baby factories to produce boys for inheritance

In Ondo State, Ikale, women are not entitle to inheritance
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by femi4: 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
Janelle08:
Hi Nairalanders,

In a situation where a woman receives some inheritance from her father or a share of her late father's property, is she expected to hand over her inheritance (money) to her husband?

Married folks over to you. Women, how will you handle your inheritance? Men, how do you expect your wives to handle her inheritance?
Yez......since she's been spending his husband's money and the wealth he inherited from his father
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Akuruoulo(m): 9:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
Amarisa:
Whatever she inherited(money or property) will be useful to her immediate family,so the question of giving it up shouldn't arise..

The husband shouldn't even put his eyes on her inheritance..

I think it also depends on the individuals involved,If they understand themselves well,this shouldn't be an issue..

She shouldn't put her eyes in mine too
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Akuruoulo(m): 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
PabloAndreas:
Well first and foremost the english used in the heading of this article can knock someone out cold...
NO!!!!! u cnt give up your inheritance to ur husband...i‘d rather your kids inherit them when they are much older...unless u want to give him just a little part of it but certainly not all of it if u ask me

U are right , and mine shouldn't bother her
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by ctleurocollege: 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
akeensbussy:

In Ondo State, Ikale, women are not entitle to inheritance

OK.
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Akuruoulo(m): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
crackhaus:

This is very good cheesy

Chanced her brothers via been they rightful owner , or out of greed and jealousy ?
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Khaleell001(m): 9:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
wizflame:
When she dies or what?

I no even understand the question sef.

*Modified.

No but atleast she should support in family expenses

Support ko, export ni.
Did you marry her to support family expenses or Marty her to take care of her ?
If she gives you from her inheritance out of her good will good and fine;if not,oga, take care of her.
That's your responsibility.
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Akuruoulo(m): 9:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
yeyeosoronga:

You conveniently forgot to highlight- the female child gets only half of what the male is entitled to meaning the male child gets double of what the female gets. That in itself still sounds unfair IMO, but it's still better than nothing at all.
Many South East Nigerian cultures do not give their female children any inheritance from their father's house. Though things are changing, and I guess the rich still try to settle their daughters. I may be wrong though.

u are right .
in makurdi women a giving property ( land etc ) . its they mans choice . But i can never give my daughter any land and my own town unless its outside my town .
YET , MY BOYS OWNS MORE
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Charly68: 9:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ummm very big question,my opinion is that even though every man must work to take good care of his family ,notwithstanding, whatever his wife has belongs to him. The bible teaches that a woman should submit to her husband that includes her properties and inheritance . The reality however is if the husband is irresponsible, no woman would submit her life and inheritance to be govern by a fool
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by JADEK01(m): 9:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
No,she can only be supportive to her husband to stand up,she can be helping her husband from the profit she’s making from d inheritance property or money.....but don’t empty your inheritance to sponsor any man,because some men are lazy dreamer.
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Sterope(f): 9:36pm On Nov 21, 2019
Some places among Igbo community don't however the law has already ruled on it. However, it is not every community or family that will be law abiding to follow through.

crackhaus:

This is very good to know, I had heard of this but still had my doubts considering the noise being made by gender equality advocates about Nigerian women not being allowed to inherit property.

I guess they made that up as usual, and the truth is women do in fact inherit properties from their parents. cool

3 Likes

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by TheMostComplex1: 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
crackhaus:

First of all, please list those places where married women can inherit properties.
Single unmarried daughters could be given an inheritance, but I'm not so sure about the married ones.

Is this happening to someone you know?
If so, where?

I'm interested...

So you don't know that the Yoruba's don't segregate? They share their parents properties with both the married and single women

2 Likes

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by oracle009(m): 9:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
ecclize:

and what about the irresponsible girls ...
u make a lot of sense but soil it with sentiment...
there is no gender monopoly of irresponsible...
just as u mentioned understanding is what matters most.

Smiles... bro, ofcourse there is no monopoly of irresponsibility by any gender... but the discussion is majorly about a WIFE giving her inheritance to the HUSBAND.... if it were to be the other way round, I would have addressed it from that perspective also

1 Like

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by clems88(m): 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
Should a husband give his inheritance to his wife! angry
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
Janelle08:
Hi Nairalanders,

How? Is it his father?
Anyway it's only greedy, selfish and low-esteem men that expect such.
I received a store from my late father, tenant pays 500k a year, I do as I please with the money hubby doesn't even ask for a dime even though I tell him whenever it comes in.
Pls don't fall for that o

1 Like

Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
Yes.. She should give her husband

Bring all your seeds to the fertile ground, so that it can multiply..

I love Marriage grin
Re: Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? by loswhite(m): 10:00pm On Nov 21, 2019
baby124:
You better don’t try that rubbish. If he wants to fight, put it in your children’s names. It’s a man like him that gave you the property. You can both hustle for your own in the marriage. The one from your father is for you and your children.
...lol. what of it is the other way round? Women are just extremely selfish human beings...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Forcing My Mother-in-law To Leave My Home / Will You Still Marry A Man Whose Mother Hates You? / Help, I'm Not Emotionally Attached To My Mother, Siblings And Extended Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.