Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,457 members, 7,954,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:25 AM

CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually (11192 Views)

Nigeria Spends $1.2 Billion To Import Fish Annually - Emefiele / Folorunsho Alakija Is Building Famfa Towers, Costs N60 Billion / NEPC Says Nigerians Unofficially Exporting $40bn Goods Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by ernecy(m): 11:32am On Nov 22, 2019
oz4real83:
It is not different from the way we treat crude oil. We export crude oil and spent trillions importing its derivatives despite being the 6th or 7th richest producer of crude oil. Nigeria is always in a state of irony and joke.
u took it out my head. Exactly the same problem, but they just come here and call big numbers
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 22, 2019
modelmike7:

Agriculture is the way to go.
Only the wise will take up this offer as i and other sensible youths have done.

Don't sit down in your father's sitting room and keep complaining about no money in town.
Opportunities abound.
Go out and work.

No leave them Let them be carrying distinction certificates up and down looking for jobs and be opening smelly mouths insulting the country. There are opportunities every fucking where
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 22, 2019
SIRTee15:

Can u give more details about your experience...
A lot of people may learn...

Yes good question.
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 22, 2019
lonelydora:
CBN with their useless policy is also part of the problem.

I knew what we passed through few years back when we tried to set up a toothpick making factory.

That's why whenever i see news about setting industries from CBN, I just laugh. Nigeria is a jungle.

What did you pass through?
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by nick50(m): 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2019
Thank God he said Nigeria spends not federal government cos this APC led federal government is prone to lies..by the way what concerns the fg with the money spent by an individual? Is it their spending?.. They are quick to ban importation of rice but won't ban seeking of medical treatment abroad abi no be money dem dey spend there??
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Innovate07: 1:05pm On Nov 22, 2019
KunAviero:
All these ones are stories. They think we don't know the opportunities that abound in this country? As long as the country is still in this current state, nothing will change and things will only get worse. The federal government of Nigeria have to play their part first by creating an enabling environment for us to come I and develop the rest. POWER SUPPLY IS A MUST. TAX MUST BE REDUCED FOR SME's. How can sme's be paying 30% tax? How can it work?BUSINESS REGISTRATION SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN A FEW HOURS. LOANS SHOULD BE PROVIDED FOR THOSE WITH GOOD CREDIT AND PROPOSALS. SECURITY SHOULD BE BEEFED UP. Benue state is the food basket of the nation but look at what they have suffered in the hands of herdmen. INFRASTRUCTURES NEED TO BE DEVELOPED. ROADS, RAILS, PORTS for easy movement of goods and services. The government have a lot to do, if not....our greatest asset (the youths) will keep leaving this country in their hundreds and of course they'll be taking their talents (known or unknown) with them.

How I wish one of those at the helm of affairs in this country can read this, take note and act accordingly. Within 5yrs this country will have a turn around. Unfortunately all the demons in hell have been released on this country to destroy it. Starting from the greedy vision less leaders to the very ignorant and Unpatriotic citizens will keep frustrating this country. Some attitude of the citizens are even worse than that of theiose in govt. Imagine Nigerians fighting against border closure instead of
Fighting for govt to empower those into rice production and cap the market price to make it affordable for all.

1 Like

Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Jaqenhghar: 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2019
PrecisionFx:

The north and yoruba is the primary reason why we can't, they destroyed Nigeria.

Back in the days of regional government, Nigeria was an exporting nation.
Chairman the rot is everywhere in that country. Lack of any tangible infrastructure is everywhere. If your region was that cool we would have seen a difference. Same lack of electricity, poor sanitatiin, fĂșcked up roads.
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by lonelydora: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2019
ChieduJoshua081:

What did you pass through?

My brother, i can't explain it here oo
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:42pm On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

I saw the derivatives.. Do we still have to imports cassava derivatives? Is the cassava derivatives we are importing different from the one we have here
Do you have an ethanol plant in Nigeria? What about starch? Sucrose nko?
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2019
vezycash:
The person who made this statement should give a list of the cassava derivatives because I don't know any cassava derivative that's exclusive to cassava - even cyanide ain't. This person is actually claiming that any product made from corn, wheat, potato starch is a cassava derivative.

They are claiming that imported alcohol, soft drinks, bread, chocolate, flour and flour based products, toothpaste, superglue - even if they are made from corn or wheat are cassava derivatives. Even a 5 year old would laugh at this absurd claim.
We have cassava in high quantity. All those things you listed are imported whereas they can be gotten from cassava. It's not about what they are made from, it's that they can be gotten from cassava too

1 Like

Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:46pm On Nov 22, 2019
diegwu02:
So i felt about the Refineries but Mele kyari isnt joking like his predecessors

Brother, Dangote is not one man o. grin grin
How is he not joking?
What has he done differently?
Monopoly is not healthy for a free market economy like Nigeria. Dangote is driving Nigeria towards monopoly with the help of politicians
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Chairman the rot is everywhere in that country. Lack of any tangible infrastructure is everywhere. If your region was that cool we would have seen a difference. Same lack of electricity, poor sanitatiin, fĂșcked up roads.

My region didn't destroy Nigeria.

Yoruba n Hausa did.
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by bixton(m): 3:47am On Nov 23, 2019
oz4real83:
I had high hopes about our refineries when Ibe kachukwu was state minister for petroleum. He made many promises. But at the end of the day, the next caption we heard from him was "why we failed". I don't trust any promises from a Nigerian politician anymore. With respect to Dangote's refinery, it will help a lot but must we continue to put the future of the whole Nigeria in the hands of one man, Dangote?.

Everything about that him and his cohorts to monopolize the Nigerian people and state is a well planned and calculated scheme.
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by vezycash(m): 12:36pm On Nov 23, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

We have cassava in high quantity. All those things you listed are imported whereas they can be gotten from cassava. It's not about what they are made from, it's that they can be gotten from cassava too

You are right that we product lots of cassava.

Cassava has cyanide which is a poison. It can cause goiter, paralysis, blindness, kidney damage, worsening of ulcers, inhibit absorption of iodine, intestine issues. In high concentration, it can lead to death. That's why doctors tell ulcer patients not to drink garri.

Cyanide removal is still an issue. I've read different academic papers on the topic and no definitive mechanizable solution exists for quick safe cassava flour production. Our agricultural institute in ibadan is doing a fantastic job with creating strains of cassava with less cyanide content. And i'm sure with more funding they will do better.

High fructose corn syrup - the sweetener, alternative to sugar is to the best of my knowledge not possible with cassava at the moment. Maybe it will with research.

As a wheat flour replacement, cassava has issues. That's why Jonathan administration forgot about it.
See: http://agencia.fapesp.br/cassava-flour-can-be-a-partial-substitute-for-wheat-flour-in-bread/26423/
From the above link - for bread production, 100% cassava flour has many issues. But you can use 30% cassava + 70% wheat flour without issues.

For beer, alcohol production, I've read that it's being used in East Africa.

Even garri self, I wonder how many tons of garri we would set on fire if NAFDAC tested garri all over the country for sand, stone, e coli bacteria and cyanide.

Until serious time and money and research is spent addressing the technical and political issues surrounding farming - goodluck.
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by Agboriotejoye(m): 1:04pm On Nov 23, 2019
vezycash:

You are right that we product lots of cassava.

Cyanide removal is still an issue. I've read different academic papers on the topic and no definitive mechanizable solution exists for quick cassava flour production. Our agricultural institute in ibadan is doing a fantastic job with creating strains of cassava with less cyanide content. And i'm sure with more funding they will do better.

High fructose corn syrup - the sweetener, alternative to sugar is to the best of my knowledge not possible with cassava at the moment. Maybe it will with research.

As a wheat flour replacement, cassava has issues. That's why Jonathan administration forgot about it.

For beer, alcohol production, I've read that it's being used in East Africa. However, it's easy for someone who has an agenda to yarn dust with - 'we shoulds.' But until time and money is spent addressing the technical and political issues surrounding farming - goodluck.
You seem to be an intellectual on the subject which is reassuring. Your last line however is the most annoying part of this govt. They seem to think farming can become highly productive jackboot policies or propaganda.
See the issue of rice. All the noise around it, most rice farms is still at subsistence level and yet they're shouting rice revolution!! Very pitiable I think
Re: CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually by vezycash(m): 1:27pm On Nov 23, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

You seem to be an intellectual on the subject which is reassuring. Your last line however is the most annoying part of this govt. They seem to think farming can become highly productive jackboot policies or propaganda.
See the issue of rice. All the noise around it, most rice farms is still at subsistence level and yet they're shouting rice revolution!! Very pitiable I think

Thanks for the compliment. I've had deep interest in farming since I was in SS1 - that's over 15 years ago. I'm not an expert in agriculture by any measure. But I know this - refinement is where the money is. And by refinement, I mean, getting diesel, petrol, plastic, tar, bitumen, grease from crude oil.

Likewise, producing sugar, glue, oil, starch, corn flakes, sweet, soup thickner, soup, ethanol, whiskey, animal food, sweet corn, bio-degradable plastic... from corn. All these don't come accidentally. It comes from research.

The government is trying to shift this burden to individuals. It's difficult for individuals to spend money and time on research because it requires big money, and there might be no breakthrough at for decades - or none at all.

When I gave my students an assignment a few months ago to give me a list of products made from corn and palm oil, they complained. But when they came back with the completed assignment, they were amazed. They were surprised and excited. Some said, their parents were amazed by the discovery.

Research and incentives is the government's job. American government gives university professors research grants - and the government doesn't ask for money back - just publish the results o tan. Even our schools have equal blame in this problem with their theory only approach.

I told my students then to bring bottles, and a container of soil where they all planted onions for 5 marks. I showed them how to suspend the plastic bottles over the plants and allow the water to drip a little every few seconds. I still have the video where they proudly showed off their grown plants at the end of the term. Now they know where green onions come from and have some practical experience with drip irrigation. I planned to plant corn in sacks on one of our deckings during this dry season but the rain didn't stop early. And I've stopped teaching.

Oga, make I no break my head.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Hosts Shettima And Lawmakers In Lagos Over IDPs. Photos / Sterling Bank Gives Customer Smart Phone For Opening Sterling Plus Account: Pics / The Most Valuable Thing That Five Naira Can Buy?.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.