Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,701 members, 7,816,870 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty (23745 Views)

Governors Reject Death Penalty For Hate Speech / El-Rufai Orders Arrest Of Segun Onibiyo Over 'Hate Speech' - Dogara Rabboni / Stop Hate Speech, Peter Obi Tells El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by EmotionalGoat: 8:25am On Nov 22, 2019
[s]
helinues:

Waiting for the cancelled to reach 20. 3 accounts already gone today as at 8:20am

Truly goat no dey here words

God bless the mods.. Better days ahead
[/s]
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 22, 2019
We need a revolution in Nigeria. But we r not united due to tribalism and thus we cannot revolt. The best brains just immigrate to better countries when they become fed up with the mess that's going on. Let our people unite!!!

3 Likes

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by noisy45(m): 8:30am On Nov 22, 2019
J111333:
Nigerians deserve even worse than the anti socal media bill until they decide to have sense.
I'm glad the death penalty punishment will be for everyone not just "wailers".

The irony of all this is that Messrs Suffering and Hardship neither know ethnicity nor religion.

Idiot

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by izubext007: 8:35am On Nov 22, 2019
Dis Is D Reason Bukola Saraki Was Removed , Sharia Law Criping In.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 22, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is not GEJ's administration that was licking the ass of the Western world, the UN, US and UK should not interfere in our process at all.
Nigeria is an independent sovereign country for crying out loud.

Some of us are scared to commit suicide but the hate speech bill will now help pass the buck to the government.
Until one becomes a victim he will never understand
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by orisa37: 8:38am On Nov 22, 2019
Our Nigerian Legislature is in Human.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Princeton92(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2019
Please when will Nigerian politicians get "DEATH PENALTY" for "CORRUPTION" done?

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by deavicky(m): 8:42am On Nov 22, 2019
I don't know how to sing this song by Tiwa salvage. If not i would have sang it to you all. But just manage the version that i have.
E just dey pain mee all over all over
Na my body oh all over all over
Una never see anything all over all over
When they are done with us all over all over
Then we go sabi oh all over all over
E just dey worry me all over all over.

Even military regime, they never pronounced live imprisonment for hate speech now our Nigeria democracy is moving a motion for it. Instead of solving what is causing this hate speech they want us to live in fear. They are beating us and also telling us to cry in the pattern they want, not as we feel the pain. Before they sign this bill let me say something, if this people do not correct their ways this country will burn in away they can not quench.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Brightest04(m): 8:42am On Nov 22, 2019
Though the measure appears to be too harsh but the language most Nigerians understand better is harshness. If only people will understand the damage hate speech had caused in this country:the civil war,boko haram insurgency, tribal and communal clashes,religious clashes, political clashes,etc.And most of these resulted in many lost of lives and properties. Making women widows, men widowers, children orphans, and many destitute.Hence,i wish the people will understand and stop the act of hate speech to drive home their points.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:43am On Nov 22, 2019
Buffoons in power
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by blowjohn(m): 8:44am On Nov 22, 2019
J111333:
Nigerians deserve even worse than the anti socal media bill until they decide to have sense.
I'm glad the death penalty punishment will be for everyone not just "wailers".

The irony of all this is that Messrs Suffering and Hardship neither know ethnicity nor religion.

Exactly.
Let them keep talking trash .
Death penalty awaits them.
That's what they voted for.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 22, 2019
when a religious extremist makes a bill, God will punish Nigerian politicians
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by KenModi(m): 8:50am On Nov 22, 2019
studio14:
Buhari and his supporters reasons from their anus

You still don’t realize there is nothing like “Buhari and his supporters”. There are only two political divisions in Nigeria “The ruling elites and the masses”

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Lazerone(f): 8:52am On Nov 22, 2019
Sometimes I wonder if during the last election, if we all stood in line to vote for a bunch of nobodies. Seriously when last did something good come out of politics.

Ok the above will be my last hate speech... Thank you everyone

So China is building a green forest city to combat air pollution in their country. See the green construction here.
https://prodesigners.com.ng/china-is-building-a-green-forest-city/
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by franciscom: 8:53am On Nov 22, 2019
Be ready to hang all of us
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Victorex001(m): 8:54am On Nov 22, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is not GEJ's administration that was licking the ass of the Western world, the UN, US and UK should not interfere in our process at all.

Some of us are scared to commit suicide but the hate speech bill will now help pass the buck to the government.

Your point pls??
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by swintiney: 8:55am On Nov 22, 2019
Nigerian government is practicing comedy as a service (CAAS) and consistently ridiculing us because the people don't understand the consequence of sentimental voting while the politicians take advantage of Govt weak institutions to short-change the masses. The truth is that there is a serious leadership deficit in Nigeria and Africa as only a handful of our politicians even understand public service
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 8:55am On Nov 22, 2019
netpro:
The Bill is a good idea. But the proposed punishment is an over kill.

6 months to 12 months in prison is good enough.

Mumuric.....
lols....... see as you too have turned to a wailer.....
Can you equally sign the Zombie bill to remain a zombie to APC government ? grin grin cheesy tongue kiss
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Victorex001(m): 8:57am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:

Then we ( Nigeria) should have advised UK to stop the Brexit campaign cos it will eventually affects us

You can’t discuss shit with your masters...�
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 22, 2019
Hate Speech? Punishment by death?

FFK will be the first to be sentence to death.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by allthingsgood: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2019
OBUKSBAYELSA:
Everything done or to be done by the Buhari administration is furtherance of imposing himself for a third term. Senate President Lawan recently said any law Buhari sends to parliament is good that tell the State of our parliament and our representative, I won't be surprised if the Constitution is amended to offer Buhari a third term. APC can do anything.

Una no de tire for lies lipsrsealed
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by bigtt76(f): 9:10am On Nov 22, 2019
Wonder why anyone is bothered about this bill sef .....something Bubu wee not sign sef cheesy

Digitiminimi:
The United Nations and the United Kingdom have opposed the death penalty clause in the proposed National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speech Bill introduced by Senate Deputy Chief Whip, Sabi Abdullahi.

The UN described the death penalty as barbaric, noting that its inclusion in the bill was unacceptable.

According to the bill, any person who violates the law shall be liable to life imprisonment and where the act causes any loss of life, the person shall be punished with death by hanging.

But the spokesman, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, Mr Olusola Macaulay, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Thursday, said the global body would not support the bill, noting that a UNESCO advocacy group, Media and Information Literacy Coalition, would soon meet with the National Assembly over the proposed legislation.

He said, “We are trying to pay an advocacy visit to the government and do some lobbying. There is a coalition working already, it was formed with the support of UNESCO.

“They are working to meet with the National Assembly to express their mind and possibly advise the government to have a different narrative to the issue of hate speech and fake news.”

Macaulay also said the UN would lobby the Federal Government on the legislation, adding that what was needed is public enlightenment and education about hate speech and not a law stipulating the death penalty for violators.

He said, “I’m not sure what the government needs now is a bill or an idea to shut down people or prevent people from being able to express themselves or express their freedom of thought or information. What I think the government should do more is to enlighten the people.”
The UN agency said most Nigerians were ignorant of issues relating to media and information literacy, noting that a harsh law was not the solution to the challenge.

The global body noted, “Every human being has the right to life and you cannot cut off people’s lives just because someone has expressed his opinion. Nobody is saying hate speech is good.

Hate speech and fake news have been there from time immemorial and it is barbaric to say now that we want to hang people because they expressed their feelings or what they had in mind. So, censoring people or limiting people from participating in politics might not be the correct thing. As I said, the best thing to do is to educate the people.”

Macaulay queried the government for not holding politicians engaging in hate speech to account, noting that many of them had said things that could destabilise the country without being held liable.

The British Government said it supports the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society, noting that it was following discussions around the proposed legislation closely.

Commenting on the bill in an emailed response to inquiries by The PUNCH on Wednesday, Her Majesty’s Government said while it takes a strong stand against hate speech which could incite violence and damage relationships within the society, it supports “the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society.”

The statement signed by the Senior Press and Public Affairs Officer, British High Commission, Abuja, Chris Ogunmodede, said, “The UK government is following discussions around the proposed Prohibition of Hate Speech bill closely.”

It added, “We take a strong stand against hate speech, which can incite violence and damage community relationships within society. We also strongly support the right of individuals to express opinions and peacefully challenge authority as an essential part of a free and open society.

“The UK strongly opposes the inclusion of the death penalty in any piece of legislation, as a matter of principle.”

https://punchng.com/un-uk-reject-death-penalty-for-hate-speech/
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by emusbyz(m): 9:15am On Nov 22, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I don't like talking down at people's opinions, especially not on my birthday.
But please, take this off, doesn't suite your personality. I'll assume someone else used your account to type this.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by EmotionalGoat: 9:17am On Nov 22, 2019
[s]
helinues:

Then we ( Nigeria) should have advised UK to stop the Brexit campaign cos it will eventually affects us
[/s]
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Digitiminimi: 9:22am On Nov 22, 2019
exminister:
one illiterate man sponsor the bill
exminister on what and what? Lol
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by supercase1(m): 9:27am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:
Though I am not in supports of the death penalty for hate speech.

But this UN, UK should go and fix their home problems first before poke nosing into ours
If dem commot their mouth then who go fight for us
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by apiski(m): 9:27am On Nov 22, 2019
I am proudly one of those who doubtlessly believe that the name Nigeria will one day cease to exist.
NOTE: I am not Igbo. So although I am sad about this bill and the evil intentions behind it, I am also happy because this will hasten the stride to Nigeria's disintegeration. If the gods want to destroy a man, they first make him mad. Examples are: Pharoh in the bible, Adolf Hitler, Gadaffi, Abacha and Henry Seriake Dickson. From time immemorial, evil has never prevailed over good. Them go do o, but las las we go dey alright. Today, after years of suffering, we Bayelsans are finally happy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by jamace(m): 9:30am On Nov 22, 2019
ateamblezing:
This is no longer democracy.
Very true. It is war against the citizens by other means.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by mcquin(m): 9:38am On Nov 22, 2019
helinues:
Though I am not in supports of the death penalty for hate speech.

But this UN, UK should go and fix their home problems first before poke nosing into ours
What exactly are their problems? What are Nigeria's problems? Is "hate speech (which has not been defined)" a bigger problem than power, boko Haram, herdsmen attack, kidnapping, electoral violence, cost of running government, bad roads, unemployment etc?
Support for a government shouldn't stop you from criticizing it where necessary?
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by Kubernetes: 9:41am On Nov 22, 2019
Digitiminimi:
Hate speech and fake news have been there from time immemorial and it is barbaric to say now that we want to hang people because they expressed their feelings or what they had in mind.

There's freedom of Speech

Really?
But in my opinion,we should not allow UN and UK to dictate our laws?That's neo colonialism.These laws exist in China and some Asian countries and that's y they have these level of discipline and development.Treason go along with hate speech.
The effect of hate speech can result in war,ethnic cleansing etc.
Hate speech was one of the reasons Ruwanda went to war that resulted in over 60,000 deaths.
Re: Hate Speech: UN, UK Reject Death Penalty by geezynoni: 9:54am On Nov 22, 2019
Death penalty should be the reward for any government that performs below par too...As u dey comot for office laidis,na to go hang your neck for air.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Buhari Not Alive To His Responsibilities - Afenifere / Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday / Anambra Guber: Eleven Aspirants Call For Cancellation Of APC Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.