Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,473 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide (26820 Views)

Border Closure: Rice Smugglers Divert To Pineapples / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 9:13am On Nov 23, 2019
thesicilian:

Trust Nigerians, they are very myopic. They'll never see the truth from afar until it hits them in the face and send them into unconsciousness. Watch as they'll all attack you now, calling you all sorts of names for trying to enlighten them a bit.
You know smugglers and those who support them from their post
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 9:15am On Nov 23, 2019
klark3:

Honestly
The thing tire person
Too much stones
Is there any local rice in this country without stones?
We know that you're lying but continue anyway, it's allowed
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by mu2sa2: 9:16am On Nov 23, 2019
shedy03:

Govt is suppose to subsidize whatever is necessary for survival yet beyond the affordability of the majority masses, and not extort from the meagre earning of the poor.
People like you would blindly and sentimentally support any negative govt policy not minding it's consequences.
By buying local rice you are subsidising the farmers in a way. If we all - 200m poeple - patronize local goods that will be great for the economy.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by mrvitalis(m): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2019
Area4Area:
We know smugglers and those who support them from their post
Lol ....no wonder you are broke
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Afamed: 9:19am On Nov 23, 2019
gaetano:
The Rice mills are hoax. Y'all don't understand its just a front. We have more rice mills but have very little rice farms. Top officials are hiding behind these mills and smuggling rice through the northern borders and repackaging them for sale in local bags in those mills. Them go use all of una make money this Christmas
Keep quiet. Top officials and you fail to name them. Nigeria will be great, stop spreading your negative perception

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 9:20am On Nov 23, 2019
Udyawanga:
Non sense. In a country where imported rice as before is now cheaper than the one made in Nigeria, while as before the reverse was d case. Who do we offend in this country. If local rice as before is cheaper while sudden upsurge in term of price? As for me let the boarder be re opened where by common man can buy rice. Afterall economics said no country is self sufficient. Non sense govt policy that benefit few.
Tell us your location, how much is a bag of 50kg bag of foreign and local rice, give us the name or brand so that Nairalanders around can investigate?
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Kobicove(m): 9:22am On Nov 23, 2019
seunlayi:
Good one but the closure was one wrong timing

There is never a perfect time.

Just do it!

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by xaggar(m): 9:27am On Nov 23, 2019
SoNature:

While you raised lots of questionable points, I can categorically tell you that the emboldened is FALSE.

After the northerners, the Yorubas are the biggest beneficiary of one Nigeria. Imagine the level of transformation Abuja has experienced since it became Nigeria's capital in 1991 (28 years). This means that for 77 years (1914-1991), Lagos was the capital of Nigeria.

This explains why Lagos has the best of everything from the federal government. Today, the governors are consolidating the gains, and the Lagos effect is spreading to its neighboring states of the South West region.

The biggest losers of one Nigeria project is the Niger Delta. Oil companies destroy their lands and Nigeria pays them peanuts in damages. And everyone is happy. Port Harcourt, without federal government intervention, has done well for herself. Again, the Nigeria's Deltans are the biggest losers.

Port Harcourt is under what region?
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 9:28am On Nov 23, 2019
SoNature:

I don't know the number of times I have to correct people here, but I will keep trying my best.

The border closure is NOT a policy but a happenstance..more like a flash in the pan.

It's even more annoying that Buhari didn't close the borders to encourage local farmers to grow and make money out of their businesses.

Buhari shut down the borders because of smuggling. He believes that many people are bringing things into the country through the land borders without paying the necessary custom duties.

Please the two scenarios are not the same.

While we like the positive effect, the positive effect on Nigeria was NOT the intent. Well, that's because the positive thing that happened as a result was NEVER planned, so the border will be reopened in January.

Let this sink in, please; let's stop making assumptions.

https://www.businessamlive.com/jan-31-not-terminal-date-for-border-closure-customs/

The Nigeria Customs Service has said January 31, 2020 contained in a leaked memo is not terminal date for the border closure.

Joseph Attah, the public relations officer, NCS, confirmed the development in a telephone interview on Sunday.

So don't jubilate yet.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:33am On Nov 23, 2019
FrLukas:

In case you don't know, most of the foreign rice being smuggled into Nigeria is expired rice.

China is fond of exporting plastic rice to Nigeria.

Nigeria is a dumping ground for all substandard and even harmful goods.

You may not want to hear it but that's the truth.

I don't need to convince you. You are free to believe whatever your mind sells to you bro.

I'm outta here.
Good bye
I hope you've also eaten the plastic rice before.
Thailand, Philippines and Vietnam are the major suppliers of foreign rice to Nigeria not China.

That plastic rice story was also debunked then.
Be informed
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 9:35am On Nov 23, 2019
Horlufemi:

All the ride you've been eating for 6 months now is naija rice.

You don't have to believe.
Majority of Nigerians don't know this and when you tell them, they'd say you're lying.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Ezewuzie01: 9:38am On Nov 23, 2019
elkharpone:
Dead ass stone rice
Open border make person chop better rice oh
Stop being an idiot. Go and buy Mama's Pride made by Olam in their high-tech multibillion naira mill in Doma, Nasarawa state. Then thank me later. Buhari got this policy correct.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 9:41am On Nov 23, 2019
mrvitalis:

Lol ....no wonder you are broke
Your smuggling business is gone for good, go get something better to do
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by mrvitalis(m): 9:41am On Nov 23, 2019
Area4Area:
Your smuggling business is gone for good, go get something better to do
Thanks to buhari smuggling has never been this profitable
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by shedy03(m): 9:42am On Nov 23, 2019
mu2sa2:
By buying local rice you are subsidising the farmers in a way. If we all - 200m poeple - patronize local goods that will be great for the economy.
Great for the economy, Great for the economy, Great for the economy...
economy that's not working.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by ZooOga: 9:47am On Nov 23, 2019
Praises and credit due to GEJ for initiating self-sufficiency policy, and to PMB for continuing it.

President Jonathan commissions Rice Farm in Nasarawa

Sunday, 17 August 2014
https://upgej..com/2014/08/president-jonathan-commissions-rice.html

Nigeria Is On Sure Path to Food Sufficiency – PDP
January 9, 2015

https://ritefmonline.org/nigeria-is-on-sure-path-to-food-sufficiency-pdp/

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by ZooOga: 9:56am On Nov 23, 2019
Great ideas to improve the conditions of the masses survive the test of time

Jonathan Commissions 105,000MT Integrated Rice Mill In Nasarawa

July 14, 2014

https://www.informationng.com/2014/07/jonathan-commissions-105000-mt-integrated-rice-mill.html

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by eternityk: 10:10am On Nov 23, 2019
SoNature:

While you raised lots of questionable points, I can categorically tell you that the emboldened is FALSE.

After the northerners, the Yorubas are the biggest beneficiary of one Nigeria. Imagine the level of transformation Abuja has experienced since it became Nigeria's capital in 1991 (28 years). This means that for 77 years (1914-1991), Lagos was the capital of Nigeria.

This explains why Lagos has the best of everything from the federal government. Today, the governors are consolidating the gains, and the Lagos effect is spreading to its neighboring states of the South West region.

The biggest losers of one Nigeria project is the Niger Delta. Oil companies destroy their lands and Nigeria pays them peanuts in damages. And everyone is happy. Port Harcourt, without federal government intervention, has done well for herself. Again, the Nigeria's Deltans are the biggest losers.
Yoruba's are the biggest losers
Today
Lagos only makes about 3% of Yoruba land
The remaining 97% is a huge village
Yorubas are the biggest losers
But Yorubas are too dumb to know
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Ferdinandu(m): 10:12am On Nov 23, 2019
ourkobo:
Hmmm... Hope that photo is not how they process the rice??

Why can't we automate things I'm this country and make life easier for us kwanu
Automator. Can you wake and start automating without fund. It is when a small manual producer produces and sees market for the goods and see demand rise he uses the profit to improve, start looking for possibilities of credit facilities because he has seen potentials for growth. Most large companies and multinationals your family will continue giving Thanksgiving in church every Sunday for a whole year if you are lucky to be offered an employment in one, all started from something close to what you are seeing above maybe a hundred years ago.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by eternityk: 10:21am On Nov 23, 2019
solmusdesigns:
Oga say what you know, check the list of people with OML and see that Yoruba holds the oil and gas sector, check telecoms and check entertainments... yoruba would sell his/her intellect to make money and be on forbes list and let others do the dirty work

See if u don't want me to curse u,better don't start with your bullshit
Yoruba's don't have one cement plant
Yoruba's don't have one single rice mill
All those mills springing up are in north and east
At the end of the day,they transport the rice here
Yoruba's don't have leaders
I know what I'm saying
I'm pro Yoruba,but I can't pretend about anything
Just recently,industrial estates were announced for one states in each geographical zones in Nigeria
Ebonyi the poorest igbo state got an industrial estate from fg
But u know what?
Fg gave another industrial estate to Lagos!
When ekiti and osun have none
I swear lagos is under developing Yoruba land
Lagos is 3% of Yoruba land
Yet over 85% of investments is in lagos
Wake up from your stupid sleep and stop defending rubbish
Yoruba's are not gaining anything from lagos
I repeat nothing
Yoruba land is a village, yes!
Yoruba land is a big village
I'm crying for yoruba future.
Honestly speaking
I don't know y all of u Yoruba's keep on behavibg like everything is right in Yoruba land
I hate this
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 10:23am On Nov 23, 2019
mrvitalis:

Thanks to buhari smuggling has never been this profitable
....then why are you still complaining over the closure, why not encourage him to keep it shut and throw away the keys?
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Cutehector(m): 10:25am On Nov 23, 2019
Yes I can confirm this, even a lady came to the bank to reactivate her company account that has been dormant for years, she is into rice milling cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Lazerone(f): 10:27am On Nov 23, 2019
We all cried foul when it happened, now many Nigerians are benefiting from it
Meanwhile, did you know you can build a really beautiful building using just salt. Check it out http://prodesigners.com.ng/why-you-should-build-your-house-with-salt/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by mrvitalis(m): 10:32am On Nov 23, 2019
Area4Area:
....then why are you still complaining over the closure, why not encourage him to keep it shut and throw away the keys?
We complain so the fool won't know ...na I have always known u are not smart
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Area4Area: 10:36am On Nov 23, 2019
mrvitalis:

We complain so the fool won't know ...na I have always known u are not smart
Case closed, smuggler noted even if I know you have nothing doing for now aside nairaland
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by mrvitalis(m): 10:39am On Nov 23, 2019
Area4Area:
Case closed, smuggler noted even if I know you have nothing doing for now aside nairaland
You are not smart .......stop forming
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by doubleportion: 10:40am On Nov 23, 2019
elkharpone:
Dead ass stone rice
Open border make person chop better rice oh
grin Bros na small small! We will soon get there if we don't relent, I happened to work in atransport sector and I have a customer that I transport this Nigeria rice for from time to time, I discovered that this woman had started dumping these stones rich rice for another of the same Nigeria rice. Competition will set the brain of those that didn't do it right as time goes on.
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Horus(m): 11:08am On Nov 23, 2019
Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by BreconHills(m): 11:10am On Nov 23, 2019
gaetano:
The Rice mills are hoax. Y'all don't understand its just a front. We have more rice mills but have very little rice farms. Top officials are hiding behind these mills and smuggling rice through the northern borders and repackaging them for sale in local bags in those mills. Them go use all of una make money this Christmas

This is untrue.

On the contrary local rice is being re-packaged as foreign because of our love for all things foreign and to increase margin.

Nigerias rice tonnage under the Fadama projects is public knowledge. You can even Google it and see that rice produced is well in excess of rice milled.

If you have contrary information let's see the data and the names of the so called officials.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Horus(m): 11:14am On Nov 23, 2019

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Btruth: 12:15pm On Nov 23, 2019
lomprico:

we are heading nowhere. rice is still been smuggled in drones. customs officials are cashing in big.
is that pic by the OP the rice mills that are springing up? pathetic.
if you have any evidence of that, please expose them.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: More Rice Mills Spring Up Nationwide by Todetayo(m): 12:16pm On Nov 23, 2019
But please o, am tired of eating stone inside rice o....... Because it's like stone is now a recipe for cooking rice nowadays

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Condemns Owo Catholic Church Attack / Abike Dabiri Inspects Venue Of APC Presidential Rally In Enugu (pictures) / Video As VP Shettima, NSA Ribadu And Gbajabiamila Arrive PEPT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.