Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,541 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd (45062 Views)

Can A Third Class Graduate Apply For Masters In The USA / Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada / With 8m. Should I Run An Msc Prog., Go For A Pilot Course Or Do Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by hachan: 3:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
How did you get MSC with third class?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by paradigmshift(m): 3:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
wetin concern me cheesy cheesy
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by madridsta007(m): 3:06pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Please I need honest advices on my career path. I made a third class in economics and applied for pgd management but got admitted to study marketing after I got the Pgd marketing I moved on to study Msc management which I made 4.0 cgpa.

Now I am about to apply for PhD management. The issue here is that I am confused if I will get a lecturer Job since I made third class and I didn't study a particular course from my bsc to PhD level.

Further more, can I get a scholarship to study for PhD with my degree in any foreign university still admitting? If there is, kindly avail me as the schools I had search have closed admission.
Thanks alot in anticipation to your kind replies.

1. You can get a lecturer job ONCE you finish up your PhD successfully, IF AND ONLY IF, you write and publish articles in top quality journals in your researched field, which I am guessing, is Management. Publish papers using qualitative and quantitative approaches, (also known as mixed methods) and if you do so in top ABS3 ABS4 ABS4* rated journals, your Third Class would be so insignificant that you wont remember it.

2. With a one or two published papers and a decent proposal you can get a PhD scholarship. Do your research in finding those scholarships, but yes, you can.

Congratulations on finishing your MSc. Your determination and grit is what counts in the entire PhD process. It can literally bleed you. But still very achievable. All the best.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Sleevia: 3:07pm On Nov 25, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

Really?
Then there's obviously another reason apart from intelligence why they had a third class.
Just like OP, he's intelligent but yet made a third class. Why?
iI used to think like you until I was faced with difficult times. During the first phase of my school years, my grade was always increasing. I almost had a distinction in my last semester... all these happened because I had no financial problems nor anything to worry about.

Then I lost my mother. The second phase was well... I struggled to make good grade because my mind was unstable.

Since then, I stopped looking down on people who make poor grades.

16 Likes

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by sanmtiago(m): 3:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
Please I need more insight on the op’s topic because I have always wanted to ask similar question although my journey is still incipient.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by healthserve(m): 3:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
Saved
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by sanmtiago(m): 3:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
hachan:
i don’t get your question??
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by sulaak(m): 3:10pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Please I need honest advices on my career path. I made a third class in economics and applied for pgd management but got admitted to study marketing after I got the Pgd marketing I moved on to study Msc management which I made 4.0 cgpa.

Now I am about to apply for PhD management. The issue here is that I am confused if I will get a lecturer Job since I made third class and I didn't study a particular course from my bsc to PhD level.

Further more, can I get a scholarship to study for PhD with my degree in any foreign university still admitting? If there is, kindly avail me as the schools I had search have closed admission.

Well done, never give up. The most important thing is that you work hard for your third class and did not cheat. You can easily get a scholarship on the basis of your postgraduate qualification and work experience
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by sanmtiago(m): 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2019
Sleevia:
iI used to think like you until I was faced with difficult times. During the first phase of my school years, my grade was always increasing. I almost had a distinction in my last semester... all these happened because I had no financial problems nor anything to worry about.

Then I lost my mother. The second phase was well... I struggled to make good grade because my mind was unstable.

experience they say is the master of all.

5 Likes

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by hachan: 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2019
sanmtiago:
i don’t get your question??
I thought one should at least have a Second class lower before applying for masters.

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by spencekat(m): 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2019
Sleevia:

But some had everything in their favour.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Sleevia: 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2019
sanmtiago:
experience they say is the master of all.
Yeah... It is, bro.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Sleevia: 3:13pm On Nov 25, 2019
spencekat:
But some had everything in their favour.
The question was why intelligent lecturers made third class...

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Jaapu: 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2019
manisaint:
This is the video of the rich bossman making out with his househelp that went viral on social media

this state man video has been the trending video online now having fun with the commitee member with many eye witnesess

WATCH AND DOWNLOAD the full VIDEO HERE NOW

You are cursed.

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by thereyouy: 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
OK
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by sanmtiago(m): 3:17pm On Nov 25, 2019
hachan:
I thought one should at least have a Second class lower before applying for masters.
thats why there’s postgraduate
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by frowland(m): 3:17pm On Nov 25, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

Really?
Then there's obviously another reason apart from intelligence why they had a third class.

PASSION!
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by MEGA4BILLION(m): 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2019
NoGender:
I also have a question to ask, sorry to take the mic from you, seeing that our concerns are related. Perhaps I should share mine too.

Please someone should help me out if you've got an idea.

I studied Law and after graduation, studied Political science for my Master's degree.

I want to Lecture on Political science in a Nigerian university. What is the possibility based on the courses I studied?
you can be employed as a lecturer in political science department but you can't head the department.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Mires: 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2019
P
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by zone51: 3:20pm On Nov 25, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

Really?

Our school system
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Sweeetheart(m): 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2019
can I have the money you want to use to do PhD and returned it back with interest of 35% in 6 months?

I'm not joking
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Tchange1(m): 3:22pm On Nov 25, 2019
Dude for career path please and please seek the face of God about it.

2 Likes

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by yahoosurepass(m): 3:22pm On Nov 25, 2019
Ifesinachi22:
All most all the universities in US offer some form of funding for PhD. Sometimes, Funding may cover the whole duration of study.

Type in your Department and add USA.
Eg.
Cheapest US universities for PhD in Economics.
Best US universities for PhD in Management.

Your the only person that can search for schools yourself. What you like is not what i like.

Fall 2019 has closed. Spring 2020 is almost here, little time to prepare for VO questions in the embassy.

Fall 2020 has not even started collecting applications (Few have started though).

Am sure there are dozens of schools that can take you.

However, you can join us in Education section.

There are gurus there that have helped Hundreds of Nigerians migrate to US without stress.

fraudster tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Shame on you. Why did you make a third class? Iti!
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Mires: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2019
Great policy maker, congratulations to start with. Some academics in Nigeria had Third Class and were able to rise through ranks. Some became professors in their various fields. It is important to point out that competition for lectureship position weren't that stiff that's if at all it was there.

Today, given the level of unemployment in Nigeria, almost everybody want to be academic even when they have no business being there. It might interest you to know that remuneration in the profession in Nigeria is not fair. It was in time past that people go into the profession due to passion.

Given the level of competition as a result of unemployment, most universities stipulate 2.1 at BSc ldespite higher degrees.. However, if you have PhD and publications iin high impact factor journal, you might be considered.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by frozen70(f): 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Congratulations on your academic efforts, its not about third class it's about what the brain is offering

You have the zeal keep it up
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by SenecaTheYonger: 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2019
hachan:

I know a school where third class is like 2.7 and below. Some Msc accept 2.6 and above.
Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 25, 2019
Honest "advices"? Smh. That's an uncountable noun, thank you very much.

Nigeria would get better when we stop overemphasising these useless paper qualifications that are largely unearned and focus more on creating value.

4 Likes

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by frozen70(f): 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2019
manisaint:
This is the video of the rich bossman making out with his househelp that went viral on social media

this state man video has been the trending video online now having fun with the commitee member with many eye witnesess

WATCH AND DOWNLOAD the full VIDEO HERE NOW

The only thing in your mind is fuckry when your mates are pursuing academic excellence

1 Like

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by Divineayo(m): 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2019
Back2Daura:
Good day all,

Search for UKEAS on Instagram,and message them,they assist with admission to universities in UK and their services are free of charge

2 Likes

Re: I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd by StudyCrestLtd: 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2019
You have no issue in getting a lecturing job as you will be referred to your Phd if you are able to obtain it.

But for most Phd admissions attention will be on your first degree grade, and MSc thesis score.

There are different strokes for each country you are applying to for your Phd Nigeria to the UK, US, Canada, Ireland etc.

If you are applying to the US and Canada I'll strongly advise you write GMAT. For UK write a strong personal statement explaining your third class and justifying your ability using your subsequent stride of 4.0 CGPA.

Also be able to proof your research ability and understanding in your personal statement and proposal.

To access scholarship in USA and Canada do GMAT/GRE and have a very good score.

UK and Ireland Admission is much predictable to succeed though not guaranteed compared to US and Canada that application success is very low.

Back2Daura:
Good day all,

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Waec Result 2012 / If You Were The One Marking This Waec Paper Would You Do? / Pictures - Finally, I Am A Graduate!! - Thank God - Viviangist.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.